Unpopular Opinions #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am in favour of gender selection. It used to really rile me how some people (usually always women who had a boy and a girl) would guilt-shame me for having a preference over what sex my 4th child would be, when I already had 3 of the same sex. In the end, my 4th was of the opposite sex, but I would definitely have had gender selection afterwards if not. I pay for all my kids myself, I don't even get Child Benefit, and it wasn't just me who yearned for a child of the opposite sex - it was my husband and children as well, so I would have had no problem paying to ensure our family was made complete. If the science makes it doable and you have the means to do it, bring it on.

I think having a gender preference is a completely normal feeling, especially when you already have multiple children of the same sex. It's just people's reactions to it that makes it feel like a dirty little taboo secret. Unpopular opinion 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Trust Yorkshire folk to come up with the idea of batter as a meal.
Gotta love the Yorkshire folk. This will be very unpopular, but the best thing I ever learned from having half my family from Yorkshire was that thick gravy is *chefs kiss* on chips

My Dad was brought up with having left over Yorkshires the next day with jam on - that I could never get my head around!
He's always argued that you're quite happy to eat pancakes with sweet stuff on and that they're the same thing.
No, no it's not!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I think we had the same childhood !

My husband pokes fun at me for being tight but I think once you've had nothing you know the value of everything. Its like if the kids want a hot chocolate from Costa i say no it costs too much we'll have one at home, I could afford it but again I deem their products overpriced and it's a good lesson for them - I want them to know the value of things, they have fencing lessons and I never had a bedroom carpet.

Ps I do buy them the occasional Costa I'm not horrid

Pps Yorkshires with everything and mustard on a Sunday dinner
Totally agree with everything you said. My kids know me and their dad work hard for them to have what they have. They both do their clubs, get picket money, enjoy family days out etc all because I'm so focused on saving money. Some things you just can't cut like my kids hate aldi crisps so they get brand make but all my shopping is aldi. Always snacks ans good food for them and friends.

My sons bedroom needed decorated to be more his age and I was able to do it all cash through being tight 😂 same as you when you come from nothing you appreciate everything.

Never want my 2 to sit cold or hungry or feel singled out because I'm wasting money.

Costa/Starbucks its a no from me but I'm not a coffee lover so I dont get the hype lol

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I do like Trinny and her style but a lot of the time her own clothes make her look like a posh woman. Most of it is too small and tight, especially jackets. She says does it on purpose but it looks dreadful.

Gotta love the Yorkshire folk. This will be very unpopular, but the best thing I ever learned from having half my family from Yorkshire was that thick gravy is *chefs kiss* on chips

My Dad was brought up with having left over Yorkshires the next day with jam on - that I could never get my head around!
He's always argued that you're quite happy to eat pancakes with sweet stuff on and that they're the same thing.
No, no it's not!
Both are lovely to me.👍

Reactions: 3
My uncle never turned the heating on or a light, slept in his coat, sat in the betting shop all day for a warm (never a bet) and lived on poundland sandwiches.

He died last year and we were shocked to discover he had savings to the tune of 6 figures (and a lot of pens from the betting shop) ☹
I had an aunty like this. Had the same furniture and carpets for 40+ years, all dropping to bits and really uncomfortable, rarely bought herself clothes and only cheap stuff when she did, had hardly any towels or bedding and all really old. When she died she had nearly £70k in the bank.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
clearly you havent been on a low budget and gone out for a family dinner where you had a 6 quid veggie option and everyone else had steaks etc... don't expect me to pay for your fecking expensive taste or slabs of dead animal... your fancy puddings, wine and alcoholic coffees
If there are clear discrepancies in who's had what it's understandable and usually in my circle if that happens it's acknowledged.

My daughter doesn't drink and when she goes out for meal with her friends who order bottles of wine they usually take that off the bill and split the food part equally.

However if it's all pretty much equal I can't bear breaking it down by the penny.

Reactions: 16
clearly you havent been on a low budget and gone out for a family dinner where you had a 6 quid veggie option and everyone else had steaks etc... don't expect me to pay for your fecking expensive taste or slabs of dead animal... your fancy puddings, wine and alcoholic coffees
I far more respect it when a friend says "I'm having a cheap one tonight" or "I'm only having one course" etc. Rather than arse aching when the bill comes and someone suggests splitting it.

I feel I could tell all my friends if I couldn't afford to split the bill. And they would respect that and let me pay for mine and then split the rest.

With my friends it generally comes out in the wash in that one might have a more expensive meal or extra drinks one time and next time it will be someone else.

Reactions: 10
I don't think Elle Darby deserves the tit she's getting and I don't agree that she needs to be cancelled. I've never even heard of her but if you want to tell me you didn't say dumb tit at 16 then you are a LIAR!
I was a mean girl and I thank god every day that social media wasn't around when I was younger. I cringe at all the horrible tit I said. I'm not on twitter but from everything I hear and see it is a cesspit
So basically you were just as bad as Elle Darby and now feel justified in your ways because you were 'only 16'. Reality check, everyone at an age above 12 knows racism is very wrong.

Also they date to way past the age of 16 so cant pull that old excuse. She absolutely deserves to have no platform or influence over anyone with her outrageous posts. We've all been told what you post on the internet will always come back to haunt you.

More embarrassing is the fact she continuously got no likes and continued to post her awful dribble.

Reactions: 18
I really can’t eat sweetcorn any more since someone told me it comes out the other end looking the same😂
Oh it does! So do peas for me! I think what’s the point?! I’ve eaten this and I’ve just shat it out and it looks exactly the same?! What did it do whilst I digested it?!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
I think we had the same childhood !

My husband pokes fun at me for being tight but I think once you've had nothing you know the value of everything. Its like if the kids want a hot chocolate from Costa i say no it costs too much we'll have one at home, I could afford it but again I deem their products overpriced and it's a good lesson for them - I want them to know the value of things, they have fencing lessons and I never had a bedroom carpet.

Ps I do buy them the occasional Costa I'm not horrid

Pps Yorkshires with everything and mustard on a Sunday dinner
Little tip re Costa. Download the app and buy their babychinos. Small Hot Choc with a flake for 60p and it counts as a drink for the bean loyalty offer. One bloke in front of me last week ordered 3 and got 3 beans, went out to his car and poured them into a cup 😂 After 8 drinks you get a freebie (4 if you use reusable cups) and treat yourself to a Coffee ☕

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Little tip re Costa. Download the app and buy their babychinos. Small Hot Choc with a flake for 80p and it counts as a drink for the bean loyalty offer. One bloke in front of me last week ordered 3 and got 3 beans, went out to his car and poured them into a cup 😂 After 8 drinks you get a freebie (4 if you use reusable cups) and treat yourself to a Coffee ☕
Love these types of hacks 😂

Reactions: 1
If there are clear discrepancies in who's had what it's understandable and usually in my circle if that happens it's acknowledged.

My daughter doesn't drink and when she goes out for meal with her friends who order bottles of wine they usually take that off the bill and split the food part equally.

However if it's all pretty much equal I can't bear breaking it down by the penny.
ive been out a couple of times for lunch with people in my office..one of the women always takes charge when the bill arrives and works it out literally to the exact penny ! then says e.g we all owe 27.14p! why not say its 28 pounds and leave a small tip? I avoid going out with them now as i find it tight and embarrassing

• Wow
Reactions: 10
My friend group just always paid for our own meals+ drinks, none of this splitting the bill nonsense.

My friend offered to pay me 99p for her mcflurry. Which I didn't accept.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.