Unpopular Opinions #12

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been abroad 3 times within Europe during the pandemic. Followed the rules and regulations and had a great time on all those trips. Travel is a huge passion of mine and time is ticking on - I want to see the world.

This year I'm hoping for 2 trips - longer haul than the other trips, Asia and the US fingers crossed.
Keep an eye on travel restrictions for Asian countries. Thailand has been extremely strict (they opened to international travel for like 2 weeks then omicron came along). At one point during the pandemic they banned the sale of alcohol.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Keep an eye on travel restrictions for Asian countries. Thailand has been extremely strict (they opened to international travel for like 2 weeks then omicron came along). At one point during the pandemic they banned the sale of alcohol.
I know, its very up and down. I have family who are meant to be heading out there in a month so we've been keeping an eye. I the Phuket 'sandbox' entry is still open (you have to spend the first 7 days in Phuket) which would work for them. There is so much testing though and they are very strict about quarantine apparently i.e. some asymptomatic people getting sent to quarantine in hospitals etc.

Reactions: 1
I think you have to go away thinking the rules could change at any moment.

Here's an UO, if you go away during a pandemic and the government changes the rules over night then that's the risk you take. Don't go bleating about having to change flights, spend extra cash on tests or having to quarantine.

• Heart
Reactions: 35

Here's an UO, if you go away during a pandemic and the government changes the rules over night then that's the risk you take. Don't go bleating about having to change flights, spend extra cash on tests or having to quarantine.
Yeah I think there is a sense of entitlement to holidays abroad too, probably from the same people who pat themselves on the back for using metal straws and saving the environment lol.

I live overseas now and there are so many places in the UK I wish I had visited when I had the chance. This could be a real opportunity for citizens to visit their own country.

If countries are open for tourism I really do not see the problem with being a tourist during the pandemic, vaccinated and covid negative.
Countries like Spain, Greece, Thailand etc are heavily reliant on tourism for GDP so we are really doing them a favour 😜

Reactions: 9
I loathe the word ‘kid’ for children. Or ‘kids’. Like nails on a blackboard for me! Feels very common - a lovely unpopular opinion to have near the end of the thread!

Reactions: 9
If countries are open for tourism I really do not see the problem with being a tourist during the pandemic, vaccinated and covid negative.
Countries like Spain, Greece, Thailand etc are heavily reliant on tourism for GDP so we are really doing them a favour 😜
I think the problem with travelling comes with people complaining about rule changes and/or trying to avoid those rule changes. So many people booked flights for France when it was announced that they were placing restrictions on the UK

Though personally I feel that being a tourist during the pandemic, especially if there's a new variant breaking out or the cases are high, can't be that enjoyable. The stress of travel and the possibility that everything will become more restricted isn't that worth it during those times

Reactions: 4
I actually think it's safer to travel abroad than for example going to a nightclub where nobody is wearing a mask, as long as you follow the rules should be fine. The problem for me would be testing positive abroad and having to stay in a hotel extra days, as you would end up spending a lot more than you expected. I guess it's a risk you take.

Reactions: 8

This is literally the only thing that has stopped us going before now. If things change and I need to change flights, we don't have the money to do it. We spend everything we earn, holidays take every penny of spare cash we have - there is no rainy day fund for emergency flights.

Reactions: 5
I think the problem with travelling comes with people complaining about rule changes and/or trying to avoid those rule changes. So many people booked flights for France when it was announced that they were placing restrictions on the UK

Though personally I feel that being a tourist during the pandemic, especially if there's a new variant breaking out or the cases are high, can't be that enjoyable. The stress of travel and the possibility that everything will become more restricted isn't that worth it during those times
I visited a few places that are usually very busy - Venice for example, during the pandemic, places that are usually rammed full of people which were pretty quiet so it was brilliant. I'm glad I didn't have to contend with the big crowds.

Reactions: 7
This is literally the only thing that has stopped us going before now. If things change and I need to change flights, we don't have the money to do it. We spend everything we earn, holidays take every penny of spare cash we have - there is no rainy day fund for emergency flights.
A lot of airlines now have a change bookings as standard to take into account emergency pandemic lockdown arrangements so always worth checking online if you do book one, save costly returns if the situation changes etc.

Lots of companies offer free cancellation up to a decent amount of time before. Most hotels will let you cancel the day before, free of charge, just make sure to book that rate. Airlines now offer free changes or, depending on some circumstances, full refunds if lockdown etc happens. It's worth looking into it, for definite.

I think you have to factor it in if you want to go away. It's just the way it is at the moment.

One thing I absolutely wouldn't do during this time is go on a cruise. That really is taking a massive gamble.

Reactions: 10
People should be limited to one holiday abroad, and that is purely for green reasons.
But what if I just wann go France, but you wanna go new Zealand? Doesn't seem fair. Surely everyone should get a set amount of air miles for the year.

If you wanna cross the globe you'd have to save up for a couple of years, but if youre only going a short way you could fit 2 trips.

Reactions: 10
I think you have to factor it in if you want to go away. It's just the way it is at the moment.

One thing I absolutely wouldn't do during this time is go on a cruise. That really is taking a massive gamble.
Even pre pandemic i couldn't think of a holiday I'd like to do less than a Cruise!
All those people that you can't escape from the majority of the time!
They are floating germ pits..can you imagine anything worse than getting confined to a cabin with no actual outside space or windows with something like norovirus or covid.

Reactions: 11
I think that it's really lovely how much attention the Duchess of Cambridge has given that wee girl Mila Sneddon (and it's obviously absolutely awful that she has cancer), but I also think that it is awful that her family (well her mother) has gone down the 'celebrity' route. I follow her on twitter and she shares a lot of info and pics - it has taken away from Mila's right to privacy.

Reactions: 5
People who bring newborn babies to public places like the supermarket(childcare reasons aside) are doing it for the attention

(This one is mostly a joke)
People who fork out hundreds of pounds on a designer or high end pram, then push the pram empty whilst holding said newborn in one arm! Just put it safely in the pram instead of risking falling or tripping and hurting them. Wouldn’t necessarily be their fault either, it could be someone else not looking where they are going but why do they do that? 🤦🏽‍♀️ I see it all the time in town. I just don’t get it!

Reactions: 4

I'm thrilled.. they have abolished the need for PCR before coming back to UK.. good job as i'd have had a bugger of a time trying to find a PCR close enough to my flight who actually gave results out fast enough..

People should be limited to one holiday abroad, and that is purely for green reasons.
"All animals are equal but some are more equal then others. "

Those with their own private jets will always find a way out of the one holiday rule or air miles if it was ever implemented. 🤪 It only counts if it's been X hours or it could be put down as "business".

---

The lost daughter on Netflix is awful. Two hours just for a woman to have an affair and steal a doll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.