Unjaded Jade

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her latest video... how I GLEW up socially? Surely it’s glowed up? I hate the phrase glow up anyway...

• Haha
Reactions: 8
She's basically saying that extroverted people are better than introverted people.

• Angry
Reactions: 17
She's basically saying that extroverted people are better than introverted people.
That's what I took away from her video too. There's a huge difference between being shy and holding back your ideas and thoughts because you're scared (which it seems like was the case for her, so I'm glad she became more confident), and not speaking because you simply don't care to (as an introvert this is the case for me most of the time, rather than being scared to speak up; I'll speak if I feel like it adds to the conversation, but if it's just repeating/rephrasing something else or talking for the sake of talking, I won't bother). I agree that the world is 'built for extraverts' but introverts can still be good leaders, public speakers, etc etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
That's what I took away from her video too. There's a huge difference between being shy and holding back your ideas and thoughts because you're scared (which it seems like was the case for her, so I'm glad she became more confident), and not speaking because you simply don't care to (as an introvert this is the case for me most of the time, rather than being scared to speak up; I'll speak if I feel like it adds to the conversation, but if it's just repeating/rephrasing something else or talking for the sake of talking, I won't bother). I agree that the world is 'built for extraverts' but introverts can still be good leaders, public speakers, etc etc.
Exactly! There’s a difference between being introverted and having a form of social anxiety.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
As an autistic person who could only ever dream of being accepted socially, this video made me uncomfortable. Why put being extroverted on a pedestal? It's great that jade is achieving these things but for some of us these things are not easily attainable, and that should be ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
It also annoys me how she always refers to the English people as 'overly reserved', esp. when compared to the US. Like, that's really just a matter of taste?? She talks about the UK as if it's just inherently worse than the US when it comes to people but I completely disagree. I found it also downright patronising when in one of her instagram stories once while she was on a run she said she was trying to get 'overly reserved Brits' out of their shell. Jade the saviour trying to get Brits to realise that they're all actually extroverts, they just don't know it yet!

I found the constant pressure to make conversation in the US extremely overwhelming and tbh a bit fake too. I appreciate the fact that in the UK, people are nice and friendly but also appreciate the fact that most people want their space and aren't constantly in the mood to chit chat. Also, as a busy waitress, I'd find it overwhelming if customers started trying to start conversation with me by asking how my day is going.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
It also annoys me how she always refers to the English people as 'overly reserved', esp. when compared to the US. Like, that's really just a matter of taste?? She talks about the UK as if it's just inherently worse than the US when it comes to people but I completely disagree. I found it also downright patronising when in one of her instagram stories once while she was on a run she said she was trying to get 'overly reserved Brits' out of their shell. Jade the saviour trying to get Brits to realise that they're all actually extroverts, they just don't know it yet!

I found the constant pressure to make conversation in the US extremely overwhelming and tbh a bit fake too. I appreciate the fact that in the UK, people are nice and friendly but also appreciate the fact that most people want their space and aren't constantly in the mood to chit chat. Also, as a busy waitress, I'd find it overwhelming if customers started trying to start conversation with me by asking how my day is going.
Totally agree, and conversations like that on a shallow level are hardly life changing

Reactions: 4
Does anyone find it weird how she keeps promoting Unite Students too? Like I know she lived in one of their flats briefly last year (I think) but she has no clue what their accommodation is like when you're a student. Idk, it makes me uncomfortable when all the influencers promote Unite but especially Jade since she doesn't even go to uni in the UK.

Reactions: 12
Does anyone find it weird how she keeps promoting Unite Students too? Like I know she lived in one of their flats briefly last year (I think) but she has no clue what their accommodation is like when you're a student. Idk, it makes me uncomfortable when all the influencers promote Unite but especially Jade since she doesn't even go to uni in the UK.
This is what I thought! None of the people promoting them have lived there during term time! It’s so inauthentic! They just take what ever pays well and claim to have morals

Reactions: 5
I don’t think I’ll ever bother to follow her content anymore.
She has become annoying, patronising, clueless and a 3D version of Rhonda Byrne’s books (The secret/magic).
I’ll keep up with the thread for sure but I won’t bother to watch another insta story.

Reactions: 9
The thing that annoys me the most is the fact that on jades Instagram story, she goes from speaking about all the issues within Minerva, to then immediately saying ‘we’re going to deal with this by going to the administration!! Everything will be great! Amazing! Oh🤩my✌🏻Goodness🖐🏻Guys🧚🏻!!!’. EVERYTHING just seems so fake and I genuinely think she believes she’s the saviour of everything and everyone. Gave me serious Jade vs. All of racism vibes and I’m not here for that. Also posting it right after chatting about a paid promotion 🥴

Reactions: 10
It's all very patronising. Minerva is tiny comparatively, it's no where near as easy to take things to the administration in most universities.

People at my institution have been trying to get certain things changed for months now, things will change but it's an intense and slow process because admins at regular universities have a lot of day-to-day things to deal with before they can pay attention to the thousands of student led issues

Reactions: 5
It's all very patronising. Minerva is tiny comparatively, it's no where near as easy to take things to the administration in most universities.

People at my institution have been trying to get certain things changed for months now, things will change but it's an intense and slow process because admins at regular universities have a lot of day-to-day things to deal with before they can pay attention to the thousands of student led issues
Literally, I used to be student president. The only major thing that passed during my term was something that had initially been proposed by the president three terms before me. That's not to say that we're not doing important things, but things take a long time to check since every policy change has to be approved by twenty committees, checked by the Equality and Diversity team, and sent to the legal team and HR. As far as I can tell, Minerva has no representative structure so even though it's a small university that doesn't feel very efficient when it comes to enacting change and ensuring the student views are heard. This convinces me even more that Minerva exists for the money, not for the actual love of education and a desire to give students a good experience.

EDIT-I just rewatched and it honestly seems she's doing something novel by taking it to her admin. Nah Jade, most student councils have Race Officers, and most universities will have Race Equality Committees. These conversations are being had, things just move slowly in HE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Literally, I used to be student president. The only major thing that passed during my term was something that had initially been proposed by the president three terms before me. That's not to say that we're not doing important things, but things take a long time to check since every policy change has to be approved by twenty committees, checked by the Equality and Diversity team, and sent to the legal team and HR. As far as I can tell, Minerva has no representative structure so even though it's a small university that doesn't feel very efficient when it comes to enacting change and ensuring the student views are heard. This convinces me even more that Minerva exists for the money, not for the actual love of education and a desire to give students a good experience.
Yeh I agree, it seems more like a business than a uni anyway (I’m aware unis do make money but this is not the main aim )

Reactions: 4
A bit late, but I just wanted to add I’ve never heard of the name Folkert before where does it come from?

I find it really disingenuous when she makes these videos talking about diversity whilst doing something mundane like getting ready, or her skincare routine. It completely offsets the entire tone of the video and makes it seem like subjects like inequality and BLM are just offhanded topics to about whilst we watch what she really wants us to focus on: her hair routine. Perhaps this is just me?

Reactions: 13
I agree. Fair enough she did some sit down videos but it’s funny how her agenda has changed from ‘I’m so great because my university is so diverse’ to saying ‘guys, we all need to be more conscious. Minerva has issues and it’s not ok.’

Anyone else think that’s just ludicrous?? One day she goes from trying to prove Minerva is the best place ever to then basically going back on everything she stated about its diversity and inclusivity???? Grrrr😡

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.