Unjaded Jade #4 Tragic Magic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Of course she's now listening to BTS and playing BTS on almost every story. Any bets on other Koreaboo traits she'll take on? Waiting for her to start talking about finding an "Oppa" (or *CRINGE*, calling Niklas that) and pulling peace signs and love hearts in every story :cautious:
Odds on BTS being the only kpop she listens to and yet declares kpop as the greatest music of all time when she's only listened to a tiny part of it?

Reactions: 9
Thread title thanks to @nissigossips who was inspired by @slamvs27

Jade is in Korean quarantine, confused by the food and pretending it's all ✨casual magic✨

Before flying over she had a fun time crossing the German border to go on a little weekend getaway with a guy called Nikolai in a small Swiss town.

Minerva continues to be a weird/subpar university.
Thinks there is some distinction between "Germans" and "German Germans". Shocked that someone from an African country (country not even mentioned by name, presumably she views the whole huge continent as the same) could afford university

• Angry
Reactions: 8
Oh my god all this time and it was just this easy???? TAKE MY MONEY
I bet they are all the kind of people that would argue some stupid supplement could cure mental health issues without any medication

Reactions: 10
Going back to whether Minervans have access to academic journals: it makes me wonder how many Minervans actually do any research which is publishable standard? Typically, universities' main outputs are research publications among other things, but Minerva can't possibly have that kind of output, can they? Unless they count anything published by the 'tutors' who work for them, whether or not their research was actually facilitated by Minerva.

Reactions: 14
I agree. This is a typical rich white cis experience of womens oppression though, so tbf this kind of superficial understanding is exactly the sort of thing I’d expect jade to come out with. It’s a shame considering how much she’s travelled etc
It gives me ‘Lean In’ vibes. Silicon Valley feminism. Which I guess is very Minerva...

Reactions: 8
Going back to whether Minervans have access to academic journals: it makes me wonder how many Minervans actually do any research which is publishable standard? Typically, universities' main outputs are research publications among other things, but Minerva can't possibly have that kind of output, can they? Unless they count anything published by the 'tutors' who work for them, whether or not their research was actually facilitated by Minerva.
Jade posted a screenshot of apparently a research paper on online education during COVID that they published, but I have no clue what kind of journal it was in. i.e. whether it was actually legit or just one you could pay your way into.

Reactions: 2
Jade posted a screenshot of apparently a research paper on online education during COVID that they published, but I have no clue what kind of journal it was in. i.e. whether it was actually legit or just one you could pay your way into.
I'm going to guess the latter, from the writing she has published and seems to be accepted at the uni I doubt they have a high educational standard

Reactions: 6
Ah yes I saw that, and I think it's one of those journals which accepts papers prior to peer review, and possibly might be a predatory journal too (i.e. one which cold-emails academics to encourage paper submission).

If anyone has the name of the paper I can try and find it? I'm still at uni and surely if it's anything reputable it should be accessible through my uni's library.

Reactions: 3
The paper is still in the review stage, as far as I can tell. The journal is Frontiers in Education, who seem to have a "unique" review process.

Reactions: 3
If anyone has the name of the paper I can try and find it? I'm still at uni and surely if it's anything reputable it should be accessible through my uni's library.
Maybe she looks for scientific papers in this website because she has a profile but i'm not really sure
1609857631172.png

Reactions: 2
The full title is cut off, I wasn't able to find it online so I think it hasn't been published officially?
Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 15.40.09.png

Reactions: 1
Haha, a BTS stan all off a sudden, eh?
Yeah, they’re this really obscure Korean band Jade has ✨casually discovered✨ now that she’s totally immersed in Korean culture, you’ve probably never heard of them

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Yeah, they’re this really obscure Korean band Jade has ✨casually discovered✨ now that she’s totally immersed in Korean culture, you’ve probably never heard of them
I assume with her fluent Korean she understansd all the lyrics too

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Among the various ignorant and unintelligent things the Minerva CEO has said, in one interview he brags about how they don't subsidise professor research which allows them to keep tuition costs lower for students. But considering Minerva doesn't even have any active research groups, I don't see how that is even a worthy point to make. Pretty easy to not subsidise research if your institution doesn't actually produce any research (outside of your students randomly deciding to publish their own research project).

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Among the various ignorant and unintelligent things the Minerva CEO has said, in one interview he brags about how they don't subsidise professor research which allows them to keep tuition costs lower for students. But considering Minerva doesn't even have any active research groups, I don't see how that is even a worthy point to make. Pretty easy to not subsidise research if your institution doesn't actually produce any research (outside of your students randomly deciding to publish their own research project).
also how are the costs for students low anyway?! I really don't get how they have been able to set this "uni" up, surely a ley part of a uni is research, thats what makes it different from other institutions

also how are the costs for students low anyway?! I really don't get how they have been able to set this "uni" up, surely a ley part of a uni is research, thats what makes it different from other institutions
Yeah, it's another Minerva delusion that their university is somehow affordable - might seem 'affordable' on the face of it compared to US universities but the gap closes once you factor in the much better scholarship and financial aid opportunities available at US institutions and the hidden costs at Minerva e.g. visas, flights, healthcare.

It's kind of disturbing how everything their CEO has said at some point has also been parroted by Minerva students. He has managed to condense all the stupid thoughts that have ever entered his brain into a curriculum, and these 18-23 year olds are lapping it up and going around the world repeating it. I can't imagine his ego.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.