Unjaded Jade #3 All about casual magic because her real life is tragic

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I watched a couple of those posts and there’s a lot about sustainability. Has Jade ever addressed the fact that Minerva is pretty much not ‘sustainable’, especially in the environmental sense?
Honestly, that's the main reason I'm here. Minerva is a scam, Oxford rejection, casual magic, we can discuss all these.
But what bothers me for real is her climate hypocrisy. Yes, I have followed her response about this.
These are from her video: My FIRST WEEK at US University!! British Gal Moves to San Francisco Minerva Vlog 🌎

1608474350142.png

3 hour talk on how to approach government officials? definitely not a good reason to fly so much, she could watch something like that on youtube from home. Also she definitely didn't know in advance about it, this is a retrospective excuse.
1608474399687.png

Great she's being "super super aware of that fact" that she's selfish, that'll help us solve the climate crisis!

Also there were some comments on her Instagram where she posted about a climate protest:
1608474597687.png

And when she promoted long haul flights:
1608474997202.png

1608475016175.png

When she flew to France for the french course, then to Japan on a whim:
1608475088268.png

as if she can't afford train tickets to France :rolleyes: she doesn't understand what not being able to afford something means! she thinks it just means having a cheaper alternative. No Jade, it means you literally don't have the money to do it. If she really couldn't afford it, she wouldn't be going on a Japan holiday on a whim after that!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Honestly that's that's the main reason I'm here. Minerva is a scam, Oxford rejection, casual magic, we can discuss all these.
But what bothers me for real is her climate hypocrisy. Yes I have followed her response about this.
She’s got such a narrow view of it, it’s not just about flying. Aside from the issues surround a lot of the corporate behaviours that she gushes over, there are huge, huge issues with tech itself that she never addresses - online isn’t actually that green! Also the fact that ultimately, she’s an ‘influencer’ and the whole basis of her ‘job’ (such as it is) is based on the premise of promoting stuff to people so that they buy it and/or do it. That’s not really sustainable either, if you really think about it.

Reactions: 9
She’s got such a narrow view of it, it’s not just about flying. Aside from the issues surround a lot of the corporate behaviours that she gushes over, there are huge, huge issues with tech itself that she never addresses - online isn’t actually that green! Also the fact that ultimately, she’s an ‘influencer’ and the whole basis of her ‘job’ (such as it is) is based on the premise of promoting stuff to people so that they buy it and/or do it. That’s not really sustainable either, if you really think about it.
Yeah she went on about materialism in her latest insta post, but she essentially promotes and encourages it with every sponsorship

Reactions: 13
I get quite worried when people like Jade are given a disproportionate voice on environmental issues, i.e. pretty white people born with a silver spoon in their mouth preaching about sustainability when they're not even educated on the topic. It got me thinking about a recent thing that happened with Jack Harries - a young, white, incredibly privileged attractive guy who has marketed himself as an environmental activist over the last few years. Then the other day he posts on Instagram about how he had a meeting with executives from Shell and how he felt "energised and hopeful" after his conversation with them. Actual environmental activists were obviously appalled by this and he was heavily criticised for using his privilege to act as a pioneer of the movement, meanwhile refusing to challenge these climate criminals on their human rights abuses and involvement in the murders of indigenous people. Sadly I can see Jade having the exact same attitude.

People like Jade, whose depth of understanding of environmentalism stops at carbon offsetting (which is a heavily critiqued approach to the climate crisis which she conveniently glosses over), should not be at the forefront of these discussions. Because at the end of the day Jade benefits from maintaining the status quo - her university is built upon the capitalist/neoliberal ideals that allow the biggest polluters to continue polluting. Companies like Shell love people like Jade, and they even hire people like her to their 'Sustainability' teams. They want idealistic people like her who preach sustainability but not enough to challenge the systems responsible for the crisis and wholeheartedly believe companies like Shell are part of the solution to climate change.

Reactions: 25
I get quite worried when people like Jade are given a disproportionate voice on environmental issues, i.e. pretty white people born with a silver spoon in their mouth preaching about sustainability when they're not even educated on the topic. It got me thinking about a recent thing that happened with Jack Harries - a young, white, incredibly privileged attractive guy who has marketed himself as an environmental activist over the last few years. Then the other day he posts on Instagram about how he had a meeting with executives from Shell and how he felt "energised and hopeful" after his conversation with them. Actual environmental activists were obviously appalled by this and he was heavily criticised for using his privilege to act as a pioneer of the movement, meanwhile refusing to challenge these climate criminals on their human rights abuses and involvement in the murders of indigenous people. Sadly I can see Jade having the exact same attitude.

People like Jade, whose depth of understanding of environmentalism stops at carbon offsetting (which is a heavily critiqued approach to the climate crisis which she conveniently glosses over), should not be at the forefront of these discussions. Because at the end of the day Jade benefits from maintaining the status quo - her university is built upon the capitalist/neoliberal ideals that allow the biggest polluters to continue polluting. Companies like Shell love people like Jade, and they even hire people like her to their 'Sustainability' teams. They want idealistic people like her who preach sustainability but not enough to challenge the systems responsible for the crisis and wholeheartedly believe companies like Shell are part of the solution to climate change.
Honestly agree with everything you said, except the looks. This is a bad generalisation. Greta thunberg is a pretty white environmental activist from a privileged background, she's done a great job regardless.

Reactions: 6
Honestly agree with everything you said, except the looks. This is a bad generalisation. Greta thunberg is a pretty white environmental activist from a privileged background, she's done a great job regardless.
I don't think anything I wrote implicates Greta in this category of white privileged activist I'm talking about. She has used her privilege in the right way to spotlight indigenous struggles and directly challenge the large polluting corporations - the opposite of people like Jack.

And even if these white privileged activists are doing good work, it doesn't mean we can't have a wider conversation about why the main figures in the climate movement are white and privileged. It doesn't reflect the demographics of grassroots activists and the people who are most vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. Even Greta herself has talked about this, so no need to stifle the critique: she has said herself there are countless young climate activists around the world doing the same work as her but don't get the same attention.

Reactions: 11
I won't quote because the post is so long but about the whole vegan thing.

Sure, it's better for the environment and you're definitely making a difference but it means much less if you're using soya based products, or products that are not generally ethically sourced. Obviously, we don't have that much control over some of the products but it really feels like the whole vegan movement among young people has turned into "I'm so sustainable" when in reality they're still supporting products that contribute to other massive issues (such as deforestation) without much care in the world - essentially what she does with jetting around the world.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I can empathise to an extent with Jade because it can be hard to really see why you personally should give something up when really are corporations are to blame - this is why I try not to beat myself up about not being able to be 100% sustainable due to financial or other personal reasons, but it's not like Minerva was her only choice. She had a place at a great university, where she had connections - hello, Eve Cornwell and Bristol, Jade could have smashed it there - but instead, she chose to go to Minerva knowing the environmental consequences of that. No amount of 'ugh I know it's so bad gaahhh' is going to change the fact that she CHOSE to do it. She had options in the UK and could have even gone to a university in another country where she'd only be flying home for holidays, but Minerva exploits students desire to travel, making them trot around the globe once every 6 months (even in a pandemic I might add). It's the biggest case of performative activism you've ever seen.

Reactions: 25
I can empathise to an extent with Jade because it can be hard to really see why you personally should give something up when really are corporations are to blame - this is why I try not to beat myself up about not being able to be 100% sustainable due to financial or other personal reasons, but it's not like Minerva was her only choice. She had a place at a great university, where she had connections - hello, Eve Cornwell and Bristol, Jade could have smashed it there - but instead, she chose to go to Minerva knowing the environmental consequences of that. No amount of 'ugh I know it's so bad gaahhh' is going to change the fact that she CHOSE to do it. She had options in the UK and could have even gone to a university in another country where she'd only be flying home for holidays, but Minerva exploits students desire to travel, making them trot around the globe once every 6 months (even in a pandemic I might add). It's the biggest case of performative activism you've ever seen.
what pissed me off about that "statement" was "hypocrisy is a big issue"... i.e it is not something I am involved in... just everything about that is insane; and the money issue... if you really care about the environment but cannot "afford" the train.. surely don't travel. this whole thing is just so minerva/mlm sounding

exactly, and a lot of the food she buys (i.e. almond butter etc) are MUCH more environmentally damaging than if she had used non plant based stuff.. people act as if veganism is somehow the BEST thing for the environment in any way, when actually that is not enough, you still need to look at which veg/fruit et you are consuming. I predict in 10 years or so a backlash on this lazy veganism

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
quite a few people calling out her travelling on her latest insta post. Also this tree planting thing she is promoting seems like a scam that she hasn't researched at all to check if it is a good idea, typical of the daughter of someone who runs an MLM i guess

it was so cringe when she was in a supermarket (I think) saying she kept accidentally using dutch words instead of german... as if somehow over the course of about 3 months she has learned and spoken so much it was totally natural :rolleyes:
LOL, this is like a bad fanfic where the main girl accidentally switches to their second language they barely speak because ✨being bilingual you guys✨. Being actually bilingual, I cannot remember a single instance where I had her problem, lmao. I have brain farts where I blank out and forget in which language was the word I wanted to use sometimes, or cannot come up with the translation in the other language but yeah. It's not really something you don't notice unless you're bone tired.

• Haha
I won't quote because the post is so long but about the whole vegan thing.

Sure, it's better for the environment and you're definitely making a difference but it means much less if you're using soya based products, or products that are not generally ethically sourced. Obviously, we don't have that much control over some of the products but it really feels like the whole vegan movement among young people has turned into "I'm so sustainable" when in reality they're still supporting products that contribute to other massive issues (such as deforestation) without much care in the world - essentially what she does with jetting around the world.
Most of the soy used for vegan alternatives is ethically or locally sourced. The bulk of the unethical soy goes to feeding livestock.

Reactions: 13
Most of the soy used for vegan alternatives is ethically or locally sourced. The bulk of the unethical soy goes to feeding livestock.
Yeah... I really don't wanna get into a big vegan debate here haha but I do want to elaborate on this. if you're gonna make the argument that soya is unethical, that's not something that falls entirely on the shoulders of vegans. Approx. 80% of soy is grown to feed livestock. The soy produced for human consumption is a different and much tinier market. So, if anything, if you believe soy is bad for the environment... then that's more of an incentive to eat less animal products!

Reactions: 15
Moving the topic away from the vegan debate- just chiming in to say I STILL CANNOT FATHOM THE FACT THAT JADE HASNT RESPONDED TO ANY COMMENTS ON HER MINERVA Q&A GRRR

Reactions: 14
I don’t get how she thinks addressing comments saying she’s a hypocrite with the response ‘gahhh yes I’m a hypocrite’ is...okay? So she thinks the education will help, she can get an education at home or even in just one country which would limit the flights at least. If you know you’re doing something that goes against your core beliefs don’t you want to limit that rather than keep doing it?

Reactions: 23
I don’t get how she thinks addressing comments saying she’s a hypocrite with the response ‘gahhh yes I’m a hypocrite’ is...okay? So she thinks the education will help, she can get an education at home or even in just one country which would limit the flights at least. If you know you’re doing something that goes against your core beliefs don’t you want to limit that rather than keep doing it?
i actually absolutely love her response to the comments, it’s so ✨ on brand ✨. imagine getting called out on something at work like, idk, being consistently late, and just saying to your boss « i know! im so bad at waking up on time gahh » but not mention how you’re going to change it

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Is it still “casual magic” if you’re literally banned from flying back into the UK for Christmas...?

• Haha
Reactions: 21
this latest video with the spoken word poetry thing... i am so embarrassed

Reactions: 8
The whole remembering a day thing was so dull. Wow, how profound we all remember stuff differently and our brain does some interesting things!

Reactions: 4
I used to look at Jade and wish I had been that confident at her age. Now I just feel bad for her because she’s embarrassing herself. Literally anything can be classified as 'casual magic' in Jade's world.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.