Unjaded Jade #10 the next literary sensation, will her new book have a German translation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You could review on a site like Goodreads by marking it read without reviewing it, but most official platforms need you to purchase it through them to review it
Can also say that you bought the book elsewhere on Amazon hence why it's not a verified purchase

Tbh, her book title is so long that it will be hard to find reviews anywhere outside of Amazon. That and there's another book with the same 'short' name attached to it (The Only Study Guide You'll Ever Need) that comes up first followed by similarly formatted results but not Jade's book. Granted, it may change soon but that depends on people reviewing the book

Reactions: 6
"Though there have been many shifts in the academic system from that time, such as the introduction of a wide range of subjects, we still employ a lot of the same methods of learning."

Jesus bleeping Christ, Jade. Where do I even start. Obviously, I'm not a top expert on this and I don't claim to be (If I was, Minevera would've hired me by now, obviously), but I would like to say something about this based on my own experiences. For some context: I've been studying to be a teacher for around five years now, so I've nearly finished my Master of Education. I'm from Germany so I'm not sure if all of this applies to the UK too, just as a little disclaimer.

Jade's assumption here is "reciting fact knowledge is how most of school works". I genuinely don't know how she comes up with that statement. Was your education literally just memorising things? In that case, it must've been the worst school of the UK and I sort of doubt that.
I'm studying two subjects, English and History, and part of my degree was to understand how teaching these two subjects has changed in time.
In history, factual knowledge isn't the focal point anymore. It is still important of course, but general compentences that enable you to interact with any historical sources are at the centre of our teaching. When interacting with sources from the past, in whatever form, (texts, pictures, objects) we encourage the students to ask questions like this: Who is the author of this source? What type of source is it? To what extent can we even learn from it? How is the source written, what sort of language does it use? What visual techniques are employed? And then, in a next step: What can we learn about the past from this? How would you judge this- from a contemporary and from a modern viewpoint? Teaching students these skills, instead of memorising facts, is at the core of modern history didactics, because it encourages critical thinking.
In foreign language teaching in general, different approaches have been taken. (In the 70s for example, there was an auditory approach, because it was thought this would be the most effective way of learning. This is also portrayed in the fourth season of the Crown, when Prince Charles is learning Welsh.) What we have now is the communicative approach - the end goal is to teach students skills that will enable them to foster receptive skills (reading, listening) and productive skills (writing, speaking). The thought behind this is that the end goal is to communicate with people in that language - so we should prepare students for that. That is why we ask them to talk to each other in a foreign language, test their listening skills, ask them to write texts. Most of these situations are artificial of course, but we try to make them as close to reality as possible. During an internship, I taught kids some thirteen year old kids about London sights - why? Because they might travel there and THAT is what they will need English for.
I agree with Jade partially here. To a certain extent, factual knowledge has to be taught. There's no way around learning vocabulary or time forms. Of course it's boring, of course it's annoying, but how else will you learn the language? This is, however, not the only part of foreign language teaching anymore.
In addition, lectures on psychology were mandatory to make sure we understand how learning works in the brain - part of what they found was that passively reciting isn't an effective way of learning - producing something of your own results in a much higher engagement with the material. An example for this: Let's assume we're trying to teach German kids the simple past. Passively reciting would be to ask everyone to say the sentence "Tony swam last week". It's boring, ineffective. What do we do instead? Show them a picture that shows a boy swimming. Underneath are the words: "Tony - last week". The kids have to find the word "swim" for the picture, remember the simple past and then put it into a sentence. It requires more work on their part, and is much more effective.
Of course the education system is still full of flaws and less than ideal, but these changes have been made to make learning more successful and efficient. (Edit: Also, this is just the theory of how ideal learning works. Not every teacher will construct their lesson like this of course. In my school time, some teachers followed this principle closely and others didn't give a tit.)
Also I decided not to link to any of the sources here (It's a gossip forum afterall, not an academic essay). But if anyone's interested I'll look it up of course. After all, it would be madness to claim something and then not to back it up with sources, right Jade?

To sum up: The claim that "we still employ a lot of the same methods of learning" is doubful. Of course we still need factual knowledge, but didactics has moved way beyond that. If she had done minimal research into this, she had realised that. I think it is wild in general that Jade decided to write a book on studying and academia without any experience in the field except her own as a student, and then not add any sources or references. But you know, she also quoted wikipedia in your uni essay.

Sincerely, a German German aspiring teacher.

TLDR: I'm studying to be a teacher. We don't just make students memorise things, we make them interact with the material. It's more effective this way.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
She's a bleeping idiot. She's been out of the UK education system for 3 years now and isn't even at a UK based university - what authority does she have to speak on these subjects? Stick to the videos Jade, leave the writing to people who are actually qualified x

Reactions: 30
what authority does she have to speak on these subjects? Stick to the videos Jade, leave the writing to people who are actually qualified x
THIS. She really has no idea what she's talking about. Being a studytuber doesn't make you an expert on the science of learning.

Reactions: 21
o m g what a stupid lie. Jade you're total cringe and waste of bookshelf space.
this book is the epitome of publishers just throwing money at a youtuber they know will sell without too much effort on their part (I mean they clearly haven't even properly proofread or edited, I Feel bad for all of the authors working hard and having a hard time getting published

Reactions: 22
(warning, this is really ranty and has no coherent structure but I'm angry ok)

As someone who works in education and has been for the past couple of years as TA, both in mainstream and now special needs I love it when a naive 21 year old fresh out of school, not even finished uni or studied education, tells kids how to study and approach education. (note the sarcasm)
You want to know the secret to how to study effectively? The best way to study? There is none! It is honestly just what works best for you, but as long as you feel it working then that's fine!

Please Jade, I beg you, go to the school I work at, a special needs school for autistic kids who cannot function at normal mainstream schools and then come back to me on how your way of studying and learning is the best way. Tell the kid who jumps up and down every minute, has to have the room exactly right before they can even think about picking up a pencil that he just needs to focus. Tell the kid who doesn't speak or contribute because they can't speak out loud in front of class but can to a 1-1 that it's their fault they chose not to 'play the game'. Come and spend just a day in our school and watch how all of your study tips and preconceptions about education go out of the bleeping window.

Not to mention to say that education in the UK has not really changed is an insult to all of the teachers and TA's and therapists who are working both in mainstream and in special needs and shows just how little research you've done for your book. In our school we don't just make our kids recite facts, we make them engage with material, arrange days out, we have forest schools, we do cooking and life skills and honestly the list goes on. if the kids want a break or to go for a walk we let them (within reason of course). Schools are changing but it's by people working in the system, not outside of it.
Jade has no idea, NO IDEA how privileged she is and how hard teachers work. And the harsh truth is, some kids won't succeed in education, and that's ok, they'll be alright. As long as they do their best and they are happy, that's all that counts.

TLDR: sick and tired of privileged people who haven't worked or studied education claiming they know the secret to how to succeed.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
"Though there have been many shifts in the academic system from that time, such as the introduction of a wide range of subjects, we still employ a lot of the same methods of learning."
I’ll admit that I haven’t (and have absolutely no plans to) read Jade’s book, but that’s such a bizarre statement. Maybe she goes on to quantify or explain it, but otherwise, what on earth does it mean? The same methods of learning as what? The past (we really don’t, Jade …) Other countries? What?

Reactions: 7

As someone who works in education and has been for the past couple of years as TA, both in mainstream and now special needs I love it when a naive 21 year old fresh out of school, not even finished uni or studied education, tells kids how to study and approach education. (note the sarcasm)
You want to know the secret to how to study effectively? The best way to study? There is none! It is honestly just what works best for you, but as long as you feel it working then that's fine!

Please Jade, I beg you, go to the school I work at, a special needs school for autistic kids who cannot function at normal mainstream schools and then come back to me on how your way of studying and learning is the best way. Tell the kid who jumps up and down every minute, has to have the room exactly right before they can even think about picking up a pencil that he just needs to focus. Tell the kid who doesn't speak or contribute because they can't speak out loud in front of class but can to a 1-1 that it's their fault they chose not to 'play the game'. Come and spend just a day in our school and watch how all of your study tips and preconceptions about education go out of the bleeping window.

Not to mention to say that education in the UK has not really changed is an insult to all of the teachers and TA's and therapists who are working both in mainstream and in special needs and shows just how little research you've done for your book. In our school we don't just make our kids recite facts, we make them engage with material, arrange days out, we have forest schools, we do cooking and life skills and honestly the list goes on. if the kids want a break or to go for a walk we let them (within reason of course). Schools are changing but it's by people working in the system, not outside of it.
Jade has no idea, NO IDEA how privileged she is and how hard teachers work. And the harsh truth is, some kids won't succeed in education, and that's ok, they'll be alright. As long as they do their best and they are happy, that's all that counts.

TLDR: sick and tired of privileged people who haven't worked or studied education claiming they know the secret to how to succeed.
I wish I could heart this twice because you got it spot on

Reactions: 18
I’ll admit that I haven’t (and have absolutely no plans to) read Jade’s book, but that’s such a bizarre statement. Maybe she goes on to quantify or explain it, but otherwise, what on earth does it mean? The same methods of learning as what? The past (we really don’t, Jade …) Other countries? What?
It seems to depend on the context of the previous sentence rather than be standing on it's own

I wonder what she talked about with that teacher she claims to have talked to because clearly she doesn't seem to have talked about the important stuff

Also, I feel like recognising that the system may be 'against you' is sort of a bad start to the book because unless you're capable/skilled enough to cheat it (which means conforming to it?) it's basically just Jade saying you'll lose anyway, just maybe a bit less than you would have initially

Reactions: 3
Also, I feel like recognising that the system may be 'against you' is sort of a bad start to the book because unless you're capable/skilled enough to cheat it (which means conforming to it?) it's basically just Jade saying you'll lose anyway, just maybe a bit less than you would have initially
It's so weird how she constantly contradicts herself: "The system is against you" but also "it's a game and you can figure out the rules and win" but also "not everyone has the privileges to function within the system and grades don't define you" but also "if you fail, it's because you chose to"

• Angry
Reactions: 28
It's so weird how she constantly contradicts herself: "The system is against you" but also "it's a game and you can figure out the rules and win" but also "not everyone has the privileges to function within the system and grades don't define you" but also "if you fail, it's because you chose to"
The part about choosing to fail annoys me so much!!! I took a programming class in my first semester of college and no matter how much studying or practice I did I could not for the life of me understand the class once we got about halfway through. I didn’t fail the class but I was super close lol. Still, I didn’t choose to do poorly. I worked my ass off and just couldn’t see results.

Sometimes you try your hardest and whether it be the system or just the subject, it doesn’t always work out the way you want. There’s a difference between trying and failing and not trying at all and failing. I’m sure she meant the latter, but I have a feeling she’s the type of person who would think you’re not trying as hard as you can when you are.

Some of us just are not good at some subjects, no matter how much we try. As someone with ADHD I am so annoyed at her. My brain literally turns off sometimes and I used to zone out in class. But she does not take these things into consideration, of course.

Reactions: 15
Some of us just are not good at some subjects, no matter how much we try. As someone with ADHD I am so annoyed at her. My brain literally turns off sometimes and I used to zone out in class. But she does not take these things into consideration, of course.
Neurodivergence is not a thing in her world. I'm fully expecting some 'woke' video from her soon about how she's discovered some people have things like ADHD that stop them working and that the whole world needs to listen to her because she's the only person speaking out on it even though she's been called out multiple times for ignoring any kind of neurodivergence.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
o m g what a stupid lie. Jade you're total cringe and waste of bookshelf space.
Jade's Reality: Every bookshop in the country in the country had hundreds of copies of her book and instantly sold out due to high demand. Every member of staff read and loved it. The shops that were lucky enough to still have stock have made entire displays celebrating the release.

Actual Reality: Most bookshops never had copies as they never stocked it to begin with. Jade harassed numerous bookshop employees to enquire about stock. They had never heard of the book, or Jade. Jade found a couple of bookshops with one copy each, then drove to them and rearranged the entire shelf display to feature her book prominently and grabbed notable books from other sections of the shop to put next to it in order to claim that she was being stocked next to Michelle Obama.

She's a completely narcissist.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Jade's Reality: Every bookshop in the country in the country had hundreds of copies of her book and instantly sold out due to high demand. Every member of staff read and loved it. The shops that were lucky enough to still have stock have made entire displays celebrating the release.

Actual Reality: Most bookshops never had copies as they never stocked it to begin with. Jade harassed numerous bookshop employees to enquire about stock. They had never heard of the book, or Jade. Jade found a couple of bookshops with one copy each, then drove to them and rearranged the entire shelf display to feature her book prominently and grabbed notable books from other sections of the shop to put next to it in order to claim that she was being stocked next to Michelle Obama.

She's a completely narcissist.
Imagine how much nicer she'd be if she'd gone to Bristol where she'd have been around NORMAL people who could have put her in her place when needed

Reactions: 30

thank you so much for saying this <3 i was late diagnosed so went through most of education believing that i struggled so much because i was lazy and didn’t try hard enough, as jade would say. it is so harmful to perpetuate the narratives she is because it creates ableist veiws that neurodivergent and disabled people internalise and that contribute to a life of battling low self esteem.

Neurodivergence is not a thing in her world. I'm fully expecting some 'woke' video from her soon about how she's discovered some people have things like ADHD that stop them working and that the whole world needs to listen to her because she's the only person speaking out on it even though she's been called out multiple times for ignoring any kind of neurodivergence.
yes! exactly it’s so annoying and such a great example of how the education system naturally excludes us and truly does work against us.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
If she did go to a normal UK uni, what type of halls do you think she would've stayed in? Really can't imagine she'd stay in the typical halls and share a bathroom, even if she has to do that with Minera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Thus far, I actually kind of liked Folk, cause he seemed so much more down to earth than his high and mighty sister and maybe he is, but why the heck does he pull those stupid "sexy" TikTok-faces in every of her stories recently? It is so bleeping off-putting. :D It's like Jade's "I'm so edgy and still smoking hot" bedroom eyes. :D

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.