Unjaded Jade #10 the next literary sensation, will her new book have a German translation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also, is her book really going to include a whole discussion on how the education and testing system are very narrow in what they measure???

A) she does realise that the majority of her older fans are now probably uni students so they probably know this already anyway, but also… they’re maybe there just for the study tips which now seem to make up a small section of the book

B) if I had failed my GSCES or A-levels that simply wouldn’t have mattered to me. It’s such a pointless discussion because you’re there to get the grades you need, not really change the system to suddenly measure emotional intelligence. Sure, you may not be an overall failure but it will take a bit to recover and no amount of ‘I have emotional intelligence’ will help that - it will probably be looking at the next steps and alternative paths

C) it’s a study book Jade, not your opinions on everything. I know people here have talked about how it’s only really for her audience, but this isn’t a biography or some sort of ‘sit down’ talk. It’s clearly marketed at students and that’s the general population

Reactions: 13
Let me get this straight... the book includes her opinions on the current secondary education system... that she never experienced? Her A*-G and AS Level experience is vastly different to the system in place now- sure she probably researched it, but really if she hasn’t experienced it then why is she writing a book on it? I remember watching her videos when I did GCSEs (first year of all 9-1), and finding her advice very outdated. It’s such a farce how these publishing companies get deals with studytubers because they know it’ll make money, and don’t care at all about the quality of the end product

Reactions: 26
Let me get this straight... the book includes her opinions on the current secondary education system... that she never experienced? Her A*-G and AS Level experience is vastly different to the system in place now- sure she probably researched it, but really if she hasn’t experienced it then why is she writing a book on it? I remember watching her videos when I did GCSEs (first year of all 9-1), and finding her advice very outdated. It’s such a farce how these publishing companies get deals with studytubers because they know it’ll make money, and don’t care at all about the quality of the end product
It seems to be more on the education system at large rather than the specifics of grading/what's studied. Essentially, tests just don't reflect your ability all that well

She has apparently talked to teachers but at this point I feel like a lot of what she says is just very twisted or a straight up lie 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 4
I wasn't really able to capture it in a screenshot very well, but it just pains me how she pulls such weird faces all of the time nowadays. She isn't able to just relax her face anymore while talking, but she amps it up to 1000 and it causes a weird mismatch between the content of what she's saying and the look on her face. Like in the current story she is talking about something she should be proud and happy about, and her facial expressions just reads pained / annoyed / constipated constantly.
Screenshot_2021-07-22-17-38-23-814_com.instagram.android.jpg

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Something that really bugs me is in her story she talks about flawed the education system is. The education system in the UK doesn't work for everyone. It benefits specific types of learning styles and assessment styles. Jade is lucky in that the system works for her. I wish she would acknowledge that in her posts. Exam assessment works for her but for others it doesn't. She should acknowledge this.

Reactions: 18
She has apparently talked to teachers but at this point I feel like a lot of what she says is just very twisted or a straight up lie 🤷‍♀️
She probably had a chat with some of her hogh school teachers and counted it as research.

Reactions: 7
Something that really bugs me is in her story she talks about flawed the education system is. The education system in the UK doesn't work for everyone. It benefits specific types of learning styles and assessment styles. Jade is lucky in that the system works for her. I wish she would acknowledge that in her posts. Exam assessment works for her but for others it doesn't. She should acknowledge this.
I think her saying this is just a way of implying that the minerva model is better when, in reality, as flawed as the UK system is in lots of ways, I would be willing to bet it does suit more people than the minerva model. The problem is because she hasn't (presumably, I am sure she would have told us..) studied theories of education her opinion is basically just that, opinion

Reactions: 16
Regarding her potential shift to Booktube/ Bookstagram content, one of the worse parts of it is that, so far, she's only read some of the most popular books on the internet. It is perfectly ok to read them for yourself, just because a book is popular doesn't mean that it isn't worth reading, but there are already thousands of reviews and critics on CMBYN, RW&RB, etc, what does she think she can bring to the conversation?
I used to enjoy literary content but now it's boring me so much because it's all about the same 5 books. I'm not too fond of Jack Edwards' constant puns but at least he is reading a wide range of books and I can always find some news and interesting recs from him!

Reactions: 25
Regarding her potential shift to Booktube/ Bookstagram content, one of the worse parts of it is that, so far, she's only read some of the most popular books on the internet. It is perfectly ok to read them for yourself, just because a book is popular doesn't mean that it isn't worth reading, but there are already thousands of reviews and critics on CMBYN, RW&RB, etc, what does she think she can bring to the conversation?
I used to enjoy literary content but now it's boring me so much because it's all about the same 5 books. I'm not too fond of Jack Edwards' constant puns but at least he is reading a wide range of books and I can always find some news and interesting recs from him!
Exactly, and on top of this, does anyone know if Minerva offers any chance to study literature? If so, has Jade ever even taken a class in it? (Not too sure how the US system works but I cant remember her ever talking about a Lit class, just ones like social sciences etc.) at least jack and ruby are actual english lit students

Reactions: 5
I wasn't really able to capture it in a screenshot very well, but it just pains me how she pulls such weird faces all of the time nowadays. She isn't able to just relax her face anymore while talking, but she amps it up to 1000 and it causes a weird mismatch between the content of what she's saying and the look on her face. Like in the current story she is talking about something she should be proud and happy about, and her facial expressions just reads pained / annoyed / constipated constantly.View attachment 674596
And on the flipside, anytime she posts about something tragic, or something she's supposedly being humble about, she looks like the smuggest person in the history of facial expressions.

But yeah, I'm baffled by the book situation. If she'd released it during peak studytube popularity a couple of years ago, that'd be one thing, but what she's written seems like a complete mess, completely irrelevant and already wildly outdated. This is a book by Jade, for Jade, and I don't know who it would be useful for outside that. It's a vanity project, not a useful study guide.

And during/post-Covid, the educational system and method of working seems so all over the place that I can't see the logic in releasing a study guide right now until the dust has settled more and schools/unis have fully settled into a "new normal."

Reactions: 14
I wasn't really able to capture it in a screenshot very well, but it just pains me how she pulls such weird faces all of the time nowadays. She isn't able to just relax her face anymore while talking, but she amps it up to 1000 and it causes a weird mismatch between the content of what she's saying and the look on her face. Like in the current story she is talking about something she should be proud and happy about, and her facial expressions just reads pained / annoyed / constipated constantly.
First picture looks like me at a 9am uni seminar on Zoom whern I haven't put my camera on because I've had 5 hours sleep and I'm still in my pyjamas

• Haha
Exactly, and on top of this, does anyone know if Minerva offers any chance to study literature? If so, has Jade ever even taken a class in it? (Not too sure how the US system works but I cant remember her ever talking about a Lit class, just ones like social sciences etc.) at least jack and ruby are actual english lit students
I don't think you strictly need an English degree to be good at booktube tbh, nor do I really think that reading popular books is bad - I'd say it actually makes business sense since it should draw more people to your channel and you're generally more likely to connect with the audience on that rather than some book you picked up in a charity shop that interests you and a few other people

What I think Jade lacks is the ability to discuss things in depth or really rant about things that are problematic or she didn't personally like. She appears to be the type of person who will say something is good just because it's selling or is popular... which like great but I can probably just go on GoodReads and get the same opinion, or if I'm into the whole booktube scene I'll probably get it from someone else who I find a bit less annoying

I also feel like she would just focus on self-help books for some of it 😬 since it's clearly one of her favourite genres by the looks of it. I'm sure her current fanbase is into the whole ✨casual magic✨ stuff but by the 5th video/book review it will probably be a bit too much

Reactions: 12
I don't think you strictly need an English degree to be good at booktube tbh, nor do I really think that reading popular books is bad - I'd say it actually makes business sense since it should draw more people to your channel and you're generally more likely to connect with the audience on that rather than some book you picked up in a charity shop that interests you and a few other people

What I think Jade lacks is the ability to discuss things in depth or really rant about things that are problematic or she didn't personally like. She appears to be the type of person who will say something is good just because it's selling or is popular... which like great but I can probably just go on GoodReads and get the same opinion, or if I'm into the whole booktube scene I'll probably get it from someone else who I find a bit less annoying

I also feel like she would just focus on self-help books for some of it 😬 since it's clearly one of her favourite genres by the looks of it. I'm sure her current fanbase is into the whole ✨casual magic✨ stuff but by the 5th video/book review it will probably be a bit too much
There's also the issue of her already having shown her opinion is for sale. It's a wider YouTuber problem as well, but after Jade has shown herself shilling phones, laptops, etc. for sponsorship money and proclaiming them the best thing ever only to never use or speak of them again, I'd have zero trust in her giving honest reviews to books that were gifted, etc. Not that reviewers can't receive things for free to review, but if they never give negative reviews of things they are gifted, that rings major alarm bells.

Yes to that! I wouldn't mind so much the Booktube content about popular books if she actually had something thoughtful to say about it, or just an opinion that is more than just saying "I liked it", but we've seen many times how she has some good intentions but her wording ends up being so off that it makes her sound weird or like the opposite of what she is trying to say.

Reading popular books as a way to get an audience is a good move but imo you need to alternate with lesser known reads too or you risk your audience getting bored - also she already has an audience and studytube/booktube has some overlaps so it's not as if she's starting from nowhere.

For me, the main issue is, as always with her, that she seems to think that her opinion is worth gold - how course all of her subscribers can't live without knowing how she felt about this book that so many people know about! It is her civic duty to tell us all about it! /s

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Minerva offers English lit as a course (idk if it offers it as a degree) because she did it in first year and it had some bullshit name like 'Multimodal communication' or something rather than being called like 'English Lit 101'

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I can't see Jade discussing literature in a thoughtful and in depth manner. She's probably gonna somehow twist/ pervert it, like she did for travel content ("OMG, there are BLACK people in this book!!! And they're so...normal??") (her words, not mine).

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.