Ukraine Russia War #14

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
After the stuff the other day where he did the 'we have nukes and a policy where they get used' (ref tass.com/politics/1799109 ) while telling people not to threaten nuclear war (tass.com/politics/1799103)...

Putin denied making any threats against anyone ever.
In particular though the report notes F-16s delayed and training limited and delayed, I had thought pilots were trained and ready (or not far off it) and basically waiting for the planes to turn up... seems not? (about a quarter of the way down the page, look for 'bottlenecks')

OTOH a possible save, France steps in

With a good chance of being delivered within a sensible timescale.

Reactions: 2
Conscription, rationing, converting things into bomb shelters? Sounds fairly standard stuff, TBH if any country's plans did *not* include those I would be seriously concerned about their ability to plan anything more complicated than a picnic.

I see the Express is treating the prospect of wider conflict the same way do the weather, i.e. total armageddon imminent any day now... "Germany ramping up war plan as NATO on brink of all-out conflict with Russia"...
[ JFC their site is a fckn nightmare, never mind them having dozens of similar themed articles in the last few days summarisable as OMG if we look at Russia in a funny way we will all die - side note, always fascinated by the way that the commercial desire for effective clickbait frequently results in something disturbingly close to some of the official scaremongering pieces ]

It's only because we all got complacent and failed to realise until too late that the 'niceness begets niceness' was the wrong strategy for dealing with someone like Putin, that Germany is updating their planning with a more imminent tone to it.

Kicking Russia our of Ukraine is only half of it though, the other half is down to either the Russian people or Putin's chums finding him a window seat and if there's even the slightest whiff of a western push at that then we will be back at square one.
After that it's a waiting game until there is someone at the top who doesn't want to keep invading places that they don't control.

Back on the 'all-out conflict' thing I am wondering if Putin had mentioned to his subservient states that they were going to be firing Putin's long range weapons at Putin's enemies on Putin's command from their own territories (and promoting launch sites, from 'under observation' to 'now targetable') before he made that threat on their behalf the other day.
Strongly suspect he didn't - has there been even a peep from any of them?
Presumably frantically checking the small print on those splendid beneficial trade agreements that they hadn't read properly when they signed them.

Sorry, went on a bit again...TLDR and possibly SOTBO, we can be scared of Putin or we can stop him, but 'we' needs to be more than just 'the west' for that to last.

Reactions: 5
But those red lines :eek: :eek: :eek:

What red lines, asks Putin The Uncontradictable...

Instead it seems to have been the Austrian Foreign Minister who is saying a red line has been crossed as regards Ukraine hitting targets in Russia.
Then there's Fico saying the 'western nations' want escalation not peace, and Orban earlier in the week did the 'can stop the war in 24 hours' thing, and now
Which includes a bit of a not-very-cryptic non-surprise suggestion of preference as regards the US elections, noting of course that by 'peace-loving people' he means people who think Russia will stop if only Ukraine would just give up and surrender.

Reactions: 3
I keep seeing comments about how nobody watches those Russian propaganda shows...

Bet they never expected such a broad audience 🤣

• Haha
Speaking of Crimea... effective action soon to be immune to whims and mood changes

And president Javier Milei of Argentina is putting some wheels in motion
Full headline (shows truncated here) being El plan diseñado por el gobierno de Milei para entregarle a Ucrania cinco aviones de combate Super Etendard
Adding a translation for that feels a bit superfluous :)

Somewhat complicated by embargoes on Argentina using/selling the planes, will be interesting to see what happens about that.

Absolutely bleeping awful.
Anyone who supports the bleeping Russian regime is as bad as putin.

[ I was too slow to catch the article, the link has been closed... ]

These investigations sadly take a long time to get anywhere.

Reminds me of the initial 'relocation' scheme, do they say if those listed are new evacuees or are they graduates of the brainwashing camps?

I was thinking of the officially announced one by Maria Lvova-Belova, the Russian Commissioner For Children's Rights and the 'rescue' of children though it's not clear what proportion were genuinely returning to Russia or were victims of arbitrary collection.

This one though,,,

Moral compass, something of an alien concept.

Reactions: 4
In case anyone was wondering about Putin's amazing offer today...

It's the same tit as before, note that the list is a set of prerequisite before negotiations even start.
... true peace proposal to Kiev, which envisages the recognition of the Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics, as well as the Kherson and Zaporozhye regions as Russian territories, the consolidation of Ukraine's non-aligned and nuclear-free status, its demilitarization and denazification, and the lifting of anti-Russian sanctions, Russian President Vladimir Putin said ...
TLDR 'stop resisting and give me everything I want'.
Not sure what's left to negotiate after that so we will shortly be finding out the official diplomatic wording for 'no, duck off'.

Even with a massively optimistic notion of thinking this means Russia might leave Crimea, the joy is diminished as we see the 'steal everything' policy doesn't change.

A decent number of nations and some organisations signed the summit comminique - as I understand it this is to clarify that Ukraine's position has definite support, for the next step which (unless there needs to be another intermediate one) I believe is intended to include Russia (or possibly China) first.
And no particular surprise that the three BRICS members of the five didn't sign.

Somewhat concerningly there seems to have been a number of reporting of Putin's demand for surrender as 'Putin open to negotiations but wants guarantees' which really doesn't reflect what Putin actually said, or even an approximate summary of it.

As regards US assistance, there's a good breakdown of it here
Some looks scary but worth noting as ever that a lot of that isn't actual money but the value of goods, or payments to US companies and doesn't get flown over as pallets of cash, nobody's buying new yachts (etc).

Oh dear. If this is the state of one of their submarines, I can't help but wonder about their nuclear arsenal.

Putin no doubt having fun back in the DPRK after a long absence, Pyongyang festooned with Russian flags and massive banners with his face on them, to honour his arrival and celebrate their continuing recognition by a major world power.
He's there only to beg for ammunition in exchange for (as theorised) technical assistance with getting spy satellites into orbit and some interesting negotiations over China getting access to the Sea of Japan via a river on the ussia/DPRK border...

A tangled web of tangled webs but of the three of them only Russia hasn't spotted that it's China in charge.

In the meeantime, lots of statements of BFF including one that had me confused, apparently DPRK is fighting for its independence?

And Putin's ultimatum is repeated in a firmer tone of voice
... adding the words 'or else'.

Yeah, that's going to work.