Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Merpedy

VIP Member
As you say though there seems to be absolutely zero coming from those who have left
I think part of this might simply be because those who are speaking out are (a) probably nobodies in the grand scheme of things and so no one cares to shine a light on them, (b) they're not making statements in English (which very much seems to be the case with a lot of celebrities, plus it's not like the West really cares about said celebrities) and (c) they may not be feeling welcome in the countries they are in and the current situation with closing borders to Russian citizen's is probably not helping

The news in the UK seem to be focusing on all the political things going on and the effects of war. Some state journalists fled to Lithuania recently and even that seems to be getting a political spin in Lithuanian news because there are questions of whether she's a danger rather than recognising the importance of her fleeing

The support for Russia is always going to be loud because it is meant to be loud, especially if they are in a country that has a very different consensus to them

The whole portrayal having a political focus is very interesting in general imo. Even the Belarus protests had a very human focus to them and sharing how the regime was treating the protestors, most I remember from the coverage on protests in Russia was "it's happening and people are mad and it's bad for Putin" but not much else beyond that

Reactions: 1

Warpaint

VIP Member
It has not been rosy in mainland Europe either. Thousands have gone back to Ukraine. Poland was at first a good example but when you get down to it it's quite disturbing. The women are better off out of there.

Includes a really bizarre statement by the Kremlin that the patriot missile defence systems would be a legitimate target to attack, as though that's somehow any different from everything else that Russia has fired at.

Also includes link to short report on drone attacks and a look at what's in the drones that have been shot down and where the parts come from.

Mod latest

And the ISW mapping

And to put in context something spotted on RT, the Russian defence ministry has released a piece showing a couple of ICBMs being loaded into silos but this is part of the maintenance and upgrade programme even if the timing might seem scary and most importantly the release is featured as the (annual event) Strategic Rocket Forces Day is on Saturday.
Thanks for sharing all the Twitter info. I'm not on there

BigMavis

VIP Member
I don't want to burst your bubble but all you can really do is hope not to see a mushroom cloud because if you do that's you done for
Agree with that. But people could survive in terrible conditions for a while. I'm not saying its going to happen but there's a lot of threats being made.

smirkingrevenge

VIP Member
Ultimately I understand why Ukraine doesn't want to negotiate with Russia but it also just means that this war isn't going to end any time soon. There surely comes a point at which we ask "what about the average Ukrainian, do they want to live in a continious state of war?" too

We don't really seem to know what Russia would be asking for in negotiations, presumably to keep the territory they have control in + Kherson but the big reason that US (and possibly others) seem to want negotiations to start is because Ukraine has the upper hand and might be able to do some pushing around. And if negotiations fail then they fail, no one is saying there has to be an agreement

I also think that there will be a time when the public gets bored of hearing about this, it seems to have slowly happened anyway but Ukrainian propaganda is good and the media continues to focus on them, and States decide that they don't have the resources to be helping Ukraine on the same level. If it goes to the Crimea levels of interest, we just won't hear about anything at all until Russia decides to do a new invasion
Have you asked the “average” Ukrainian what they want? Move to Ukraine for a few months and see for yourself that Ukrainians want this war to end with Ukraine being Ukraine! They had to protest in their own capital city after a stolen election.

Also what are you going to say when russia, after getting what they want goes and attacks the next country?

WhiteFlorals

Seems like the news is that Russia's newer military tech all relies on western chips, though I thought we knew that already?

At the same time it seems there's an announcement about Southern Zaporizhzhia region having (or even 'performing') a referendum on joining Russia which won't be representative given anyone able to leave the area has probably done so.
Do the obtain the chips from Taiwan?

smirkingrevenge

VIP Member
Say whatever you want about Biden but if it wasn’t for him, russia would probably be attacking the second or third country now and Ukraine would have been flattened…

Yel

Chatty Member
New thread

• Heart
Lots of talk online about Israel striking Iran and weapon manufacturer facilities in the last few days, but this never seems to make it onto the media. Is it because they don't want to draw attention to Israeli activity?
Is this to do with the Ukraine/Russia war?

All a bit melodramic from Deborah. The UK is giving a few 25 year ish old tanks to fight Russia, kinda what they were built for. The UK would be much weaker if Russia achieved its goals.
Ok, that makes more sense. Here I’m thinking they giving all our crap away 😅

Merpedy

VIP Member
Also what are you going to say when russia, after getting what they want goes and attacks the next country?
I fully expect it to happen and I don’t Russia losing here would be a deterrent. There’s been warning signs that Putin would like to bring back the old USSR for ages now, whoever comes after him will also probably have similar ideas as they’ll probably be picked by Putin or his friends

I also fully expect that even if it’s a NATO country, NATO will take absolute ages responding or won’t care because the majority of the countries that could be a target aren’t that important. NATO only really cares about Ukraine because it didn’t lose quickly and used social media in the best way possible to get the attention of the world

And I’d say the same thing, there comes a point where negotiations might simply be better than continuing the war

WhiteFlorals

There are reports of Mrs Hinch and her gang of women have been releasing chemicals on Russian troops. Sorry probably bad taste, they sang about Hitler having one ball in WW2!