Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wouldn't shed a tear if he was, he's a tyrant.
The West didn't want to implement sanctions because they'll be felt worldwide, we will certainly feel it. How were they able to get this powerful?

Reactions: 3
Yes, and Russia wouldn’t allow them to go back to Ukraine, either. The separatists were and are backed by Russia in the first place, and the population has changed radically since 2014. Before then, the split between Ukraniam and Russian people in the separatist controlled regions was similar with a small Ukrainian majority, but around half of the citizens have relocated due to the war so who knows what it’s like now. If there was an opportunity for a democratic referendum, it’s long gone.

I don’t think the England / Scotland example used by the original poster works here because Scotland is already part of the UK, it would be more like England trying to get independent Scotland to join England (or the UK) by backing an armed English separatist group, causing Scottish people to emigrate, and then holding a referendum.

In this hypothetical England vs Independent Scotland scenario, England also annexes the Isle of Skye due to a large English population on the island and brings its army into Scotland to help calm the clashes between England backed armed separatist groups and local, legitimate resistance. 😅 Sorry, too much wine tonight!

Just read that Putin has ordered troops into the separatist regions for “peacekeeping operations” 😞
It’s more comparable to England claiming Ireland as it’s own and look how that went 😔 There was mass murder of civilians during Britain’s “peacekeeping” mission in NI. I’m honestly terrified of Russia, I feel like Putin is completely unhinged 😢
Does anyone know what the financial sanctions the UK are placing on Russia entail?

Reactions: 4
He's the richest person on earth. Vald is going to be just fine regardless. Only the little people will be hurt by sanctions.

The amount of oligarch money that's been laundered by the UK is disgusting. Both labour and conservatives have done nothing; if anything they've welcomed the money even though it screws people pushing up the house prices. It should have been delt with decades ago.

Reactions: 12
But there’s always that “better the devil we know” element. As much as it’s all awful you never know what the next leader will be like. I am slightly pessimistic though.

I wouldn't shed a tear if he was, he's a tyrant.
The West didn't want to implement sanctions because they'll be felt worldwide, we will certainly feel it. How were they able to get this powerful?

He's the richest person on earth. Vald is going to be just fine regardless. Only the little people will be hurt by sanctions.

The amount of oligarch money that's been laundered by the UK is disgusting. Both labour and conservatives have done nothing; if anything they've welcomed the money even though it screws people pushing up the house prices. It should have been delt with decades ago.
Exactly this. Now Bojo is threatening to weed that money out, bit late.
It’s more comparable to England claiming Ireland as it’s own and look how that went 😔 There was mass murder of civilians during Britain’s “peacekeeping” mission in NI. I’m honestly terrified of Russia, I feel like Putin is completely unhinged 😢
Does anyone know what the financial sanctions the UK are placing on Russia entail?
That's how i look at it but I'm sure I'm simplifying it. Seems to be tensions within Ukraine similar to NI and a religious element.

Reactions: 1
Exactly this. Now Bojo is threatening to weed that money out, bit late.

That's how i look at it but I'm sure I'm simplifying it. Seems to be tensions within Ukraine similar to NI and a religious element.
I guess the big difference is the situation in NI didn’t really affect anyone else so it was very much internal whereas the potential for widespread disaster with this seems inevitable. Everyone of a certain age from NI will have grown up with soldiers on the streets and I for one still suffer anxiety linked to that time. Very scared of what’s to come 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I guess the big difference is the situation in NI didn’t really affect anyone else so it was very much internal whereas the potential for widespread disaster with this seems inevitable. Everyone of a certain age from NI will have grown up with soldiers on the streets and I for one still suffer anxiety linked to that time. Very scared of what’s to come 😢
Absolutely. The way they've kept those men behind reminds me of internment, there has been talk that they'll be forced to join the militia.

I do wonder how things would have been different with trump in power.
No need to wonder, we all saw how that went. His first impeachment was for applying pressure on Ukraine by threatening to withhold aid, don’t forget. Putin definitely had some hold over Trump, but to what extent we’ll probably never know. There was no need for Putin to do anything as long as Trump was in the White House.

Reactions: 6
No need to wonder, we all saw how that went. His first impeachment was for applying pressure on Ukraine by threatening to withhold aid, don’t forget. Putin definitely had some hold over Trump, but to what extent we’ll probably never know. There was no need for Putin to do anything as long as Trump was in the White House.
I can't help but think that Putin is only now playing up as Trump is no longer in the white house. He was quiet during the Trump years...

Am I the only person who thought Putin seemed a little scared, he's usually very controlled and cautious. I saw a man seething with anger and on the ropes.

It's infuriating that Johnson, Blair, Brown etc would even talk about taking action with the dirty money decades too late.

Am I the only person who thought Putin seemed a little scared, he's usually very controlled and cautious. I saw a man seething with anger and on the ropes.
Yep he was seething. Which I don't quite understand as things seem to be going in the direction he wanted. Was he winding himself up over history?

Gone was the cool calm cucumber. Hello bitter angry man.

It's infuriating that Johnson, Blair, Brown etc would even talk about taking action with the dirty money decades too late.

Yep he was seething. Which I don't quite understand as things seem to be going in the direction he wanted. Was he winding himself up over history?

Gone was the cool calm cucumber. Hello bitter angry man.
Hes a revisionist so unfortunately its his own version of history. I don't think he wants war, he thought the West would back down to his demands and now he's feeling pushed and to be fair the West have dragged their feet. He can't lose face, he's invaded but its a legal invasion so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out. Where are you getting your news?

Seeing reports on Twitter that Scholz is pulling Nord Stream 2. Wow - that’s massive, if true.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Can someone please explain in the most simplest of forms what this means for us here in uk?

Reactions: 7
Wow I'm shocked he's paused that. Thats the biggest negotiating tool already used.

I was expecting NS2 to go ahead and Putin to pause things and not grab any more land for several weeks.

My husband is completely freaking out. We have applied for Irish passports (am Irish family) and we are just about to jump in car to cash and carry as he wants to buy water dried food medicines candles batteries etc.
my husband is a very highly respected highly qualified scientist and I am now scared to death

• Wow
Reactions: 6
The RT news is almost positive about the whole situation, articles that state nuclear weapons won’t be put in Ukraine, there won’t be a war etc. Western media seems far more hyped. I’m struggling.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.