Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've never thought for one minute that Russia will invade Ukraine. Its all spin and media hype. A Ukrainian I know whose parents live there said not to believe msm. A very close family member who is in the special services said same thing. Its all about minerals etc

Reactions: 6
There is some thought that the meeting Vlad took in his ugly office was staged - defence minister Sergei Shoigu's watch was five hours behind Moscow time, suggesting the hearing was pre-recorded.
The Russians staging things?! Never!!

Reactions: 8
It all looked pre recored, RT were showing it as "latest" rather than "live". Wouldn't be suprised if the fireworks celebrating it were filmed a while ago.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I don’t think it’s that easy. No matter how the people there vote, the Ukrainian government is not going to allow these hugely important
parts of the country going back to Russia. It will be seen as an annexation again, Russia will be condemned and more sanctions will be imposed. What is more, DNR and LNR aren’t exactly prospering now so that would put a huge strain on the Russian (already fragile) economy.
Yes, and Russia wouldn’t allow them to go back to Ukraine, either. The separatists were and are backed by Russia in the first place, and the population has changed radically since 2014. Before then, the split between Ukraniam and Russian people in the separatist controlled regions was similar with a small Ukrainian majority, but around half of the citizens have relocated due to the war so who knows what it’s like now. If there was an opportunity for a democratic referendum, it’s long gone.

I don’t think the England / Scotland example used by the original poster works here because Scotland is already part of the UK, it would be more like England trying to get independent Scotland to join England (or the UK) by backing an armed English separatist group, causing Scottish people to emigrate, and then holding a referendum.

I don’t think the England / Scotland example used by the original poster works here because Scotland is already part of the UK, it would be more like England trying to get independent Scotland to join England (or the UK) by backing an armed English separatist group, causing Scottish people to emigrate, and then holding a referendum.
In this hypothetical England vs Independent Scotland scenario, England also annexes the Isle of Skye due to a large English population on the island and brings its army into Scotland to help calm the clashes between England backed armed separatist groups and local, legitimate resistance. 😅 Sorry, too much wine tonight!

Just read that Putin has ordered troops into the separatist regions for “peacekeeping operations” 😞

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
There is some thought that the meeting Vlad took in his ugly office was staged - defence minister Sergei Shoigu's watch was five hours behind Moscow time, suggesting the hearing was pre-recorded.
The Russians staging things?! Never!!
There was a weird cut when he was speaking (I know some Russian so it was subtly noticeable) that made me realise it was prerecorded, it was almost like they ended the video too early and then cut to his next paragraph

What’s interesting is that the separatist regions claim that they have the whole territory of that specific region rather than it being limited to a Russian/Ukraine divide. Putin recognising them doesn’t seem that far from annexing something in a more political way and avoiding war (if that makes sense?)

Reactions: 2
Appeasement gets you nowhere, you can’t negotiate with a dictator, the sanctions should have been imposed straight away. It’s no surprise Finland and Sweden are discussing joining NATO, plus it’s ironic they had a “Munich conference” before this sad series of events unfolded. I pray that no innocent lives are lost because of a madman’s thirst for war 🙏🏻

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Is this the worst its ever got have they ever invaded before ? This battles been on going for many years so why invade now ? Sorry as i said i am quite ignorant it to all because i genuinely am scared of it if that makes any sense

Reactions: 3
Is this the worst its ever got have they ever invaded before ? This battles been on going for many years so why invade now ? Sorry as i said i am quite ignorant it to all because i genuinely am scared of it if that makes any sense
They had a 12 day war with Georgia in 2006 which killed around 700 civilians and Georgia lost South Ossetia and Abkhaz. Similarities with what is happening in Ukraine.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Poor Ukrainian people! Hearing Vlad speak about the Soviet Union makes me think he is going a little batty… who knows!

Poor Ukraine funny how when COVID lockdowns were on there was no war or terrorism then bam back at it again. I'm sick of cock waving causing so many innocent people to die.

Reactions: 10
And this is the reality of the fragility of the international economy we’ve created.

For all the talk of sanctions Russia can also do significant harm to the Western economies. Sanctions don’t work. These people, the “investors”, would happily sacrifice 40 million Ukrainians to protect their share percentages.

I’m in no way left wing. I’m in now way a crazy environmentalist. But something has to change and change now. The technology is there for electronic vehicles, so make the switch and make it now, not in 2030. Mandate no new fossil fuel powered vehicles. No more “rational economic decisions” to farm out production to China because they pay their people 6p an hour. Apple can afford to make $5 billion profit rather than $6 billion. Make Russia, China, S Arabia et al irrelevant. Putin will not be removed by sanctions, or military action, he may be removed from within when his people start starving or rebelling against brutal repression.

Completely OT but I follow an astrologer who’s got things eerily accurate before (he predicted the storming of the capitol to the day) and he says he thinks at some point in the next year or so Putin will removed from power. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he was assassinated, he has as many enemies as he does supporters.

Reactions: 7
I do wonder how things would have been different with trump in power. Seems like all the diplomatic negotiations yeilded nothing and troops crossed over shortly after the Olympic flame was extinguished as lots predicted.

Looks like the UK has never been importing as much as they do right now from Russia.

Screenshot_20220222-083332_Chrome.jpg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.