Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My husband is completely freaking out. We have applied for Irish passports (am Irish family) and we are just about to jump in car to cash and carry as he wants to buy water dried food medicines candles batteries etc.
my husband is a very highly respected highly qualified scientist and I am now scared to death
Where do you live?

Reactions: 4
The amount of oligarch money that's been laundered by the UK is disgusting
This is the thing - all well talking about sanctions but London is partly built on dirty Russian money. We housed so many oligarchs and other despots here and their families. We are hardly in any position to crow about sanctions when the times were good.

The RT news is almost positive about the whole situation, articles that state nuclear weapons won’t be put in Ukraine, there won’t be a war etc. Western media seems far more hyped. I’m struggling.
RT news is funded by the Kremlin. It’s 100% bias - I wouldn’t listen to them.

My husband is completely freaking out. We have applied for Irish passports (am Irish family) and we are just about to jump in car to cash and carry as he wants to buy water dried food medicines candles batteries etc.
my husband is a very highly respected highly qualified scientist and I am now scared to death
I don’t see how going to Ireland will help unless you’re Ukrainian?

Can someone please explain in the most simplest of forms what this means for us here in uk?
Most likely to happen is that fuel prices go up. The Russians don’t want a full blown war, especially on Western soil so I doubt there would be any military action. I can see the Russians maybe hacking things to disrupt the West but nothing too bloody. In my own personal opinion I don’t think we will see much of a change and the only change will the fuel price increases.

I like how sassy the Ukrainian embassy to U.K. is being
020C3A06-9C5E-47E1-BE28-F8E0F5E328D1.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
The RT news is almost positive about the whole situation, articles that state nuclear weapons won’t be put in Ukraine, there won’t be a war etc. Western media seems far more hyped. I’m struggling.
I mean, RT is a Russian state controlled network. The same state that is staging provocations left and right and, on its Twitter, claims that "Russia has made and is making efforts to resolve all matters peacefully." :ROFLMAO: I'm not saying the war will necessarily escalate or that Western media is impartial, but perhaps RT is not the most reliable source?

Here's a prime example of what Russian state propaganda looks like -

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I do wonder how things would have been different with trump in power. Seems like all the diplomatic negotiations yeilded nothing and troops crossed over shortly after the Olympic flame was extinguished as lots predicted.

Looks like the UK has never been importing as much as they do right now from Russia.

View attachment 1079553
I dislike Trump but he was known as a hothead and mad so the other countries didn't really duck with him. There was actually quite a lot of peace when he was in power Ironically they think they can walk all over Biden, Afghanistan falls and Russia invades Ukraine, the world stage thinks he's weak. I worry it will be China invading Taiwan next .

Reactions: 11
Is anyone listening to Parliament discussions on this? They are all very concerned now.

Reactions: 3
I dislike Trump but he was known as a hothead and mad so the other countries didn't really duck with him. There was actually quite a lot of peace when he was in power Ironically they think they can walk all over Biden, Afghanistan falls and Russia invades Ukraine, the world stage thinks he's weak. I worry it will be China invading Taiwan next .
Can’t help but agree. Detest Trump but Biden is not the one. With the population of America being what it is, I can’t believe he’s the best they can do.

Reactions: 8
Can’t help but agree. Detest Trump but Biden is not the one. With the population of America being what it is, I can’t believe he’s the best they can do.
Vote Kanye 🤣 joking of course. There must be someone who is strong but also sane ?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Sir Keir saying RT should be taken down is so foolish, even if its broadcasting rights were taken away it's very hard to actually stop people streaming it over the internet. Would drive more viewers trying to shut it down and would be less checked by broadcasting authorities if it was internet only.

I find it good to view the Kremlin's mouthpiece and see their ridiculous take on it all. Stupid people will believe stupid stuff, there's not much that can be done about that.

Thanks, genuinely appreciate this. Is there any more balanced and reliable news sources?

I mean, RT is a Russian state controlled network. The same state that is staging provocations left and right and, on its Twitter, claims that "Russia has made and is making efforts to resolve all matters peacefully." :ROFLMAO: I'm not saying the war will necessarily escalate or that Western media is impartial, but perhaps RT is not the most reliable source?

Here's a prime example of what Russian state propaganda looks like -

This by Edward Lucas a few weeks ago lays Britain’s position bare

“Britain stands out not for its mettle in resisting the Russian regime but for aiding and abetting it. Kremlin cronies have for years used London to launder their reputations and ill-gotten gains… One reason for inaction may be the role that wealthy, murky figures, often with Russian connections, play in the Conservative Party’s finances. From the shadows of Whitehall, I hear repeated grumbles that the prime minister is personally resistant to any discussion of this issue.”

Imagine if he could tell us what he actually knows 👀

That’s one way of looking at it, but it seemed to me that he spent most of his presidency trying to dismantle (or weaken) the alliances that had kept Europe largely peaceful since WW2. He certainly liked to portray a strongman image in his dealings with NATO, the EU etc., but he was far less bullish when meeting with the likes of Putin and Kim Jong-un.

Reactions: 5
This by Edward Lucas a few weeks ago lays Britain’s position bare

“Britain stands out not for its mettle in resisting the Russian regime but for aiding and abetting it. Kremlin cronies have for years used London to launder their reputations and ill-gotten gains… One reason for inaction may be the role that wealthy, murky figures, often with Russian connections, play in the Conservative Party’s finances. From the shadows of Whitehall, I hear repeated grumbles that the prime minister is personally resistant to any discussion of this issue.”

Imagine if he could tell us what he actually knows 👀
I wonder how much dirty russian money is floating round our economy ?

Reactions: 3
Thanks, genuinely appreciate this. Is there any more balanced and reliable news sources?
Honestly, I don't know - I have my favourites but I'm aware they're biased, too. 😅 I think the key is not relying on a single source and being aware of the political leanings of your sources. Reuters is generally quite good for fact-checking as they're a news agency that other sources can buy content from and they don't lean neither left nor right, but they're not a newspaper if you know what I mean.

Why go to ireland ? I personally do not think will be out right war personally could be wrong though

I'm mainly listening to the opinions of expects and plebs alike having lbc and talk radio in the background. Yourself?
Sky bbc channel 4 CNN. Must try LBC. There is a sub reddit on ukraine which is interesting.

Reactions: 1
Yeah if Western Europe get’s nuked you’ll still get fall out in Ireland even if you don’t have a direct hit (I don’t think we are going to get nuked by the way😉).

There's a few journalists also summarising some of the news on Twitter, obviously bias should be considered

Reactions: 5
Surely if they start throwing nukes around that will trigger everyone else doing the same, like India and Pakistan, Israel etc etc? And the end of everything? And no where would be “safe”

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.