Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You don't think Putin gives a tit about annoying the Chinese?!
ppl keep saying the olympics are over in days so he'll invade then but the paralympics start march 4th. unless he thinks he'll have succeeded in two ish weeks then idk why he wouldn't be waiting until after those?? that's about a month away so doesn't really line up w what's being reported on - i'm assuming either china / russia don't consider them as important as the 'main' games or ppl speculating on timings have forgotten they are due

I feel a bit reassured now the mail front page has gone into full on scare mode. When do they ever get it right?

View attachment 1056288
Actually quite often. During the pandemic they've often been ahead of the other news outlets or government announcements. For all their faults on the big kind of news stories they don't have a bad record.

Putin is power hungry, no question. But how would we or America feel if Russia started having troop bases near our borders. We have been sending troops to countries who border russia for years. Also Ukraine isn't NATO and we are still getting involved and acting like they were. Obviously it would set a dangerous precedent to allow Russia to invade, but we aren't exactly blameless in this either.

I sometimes wonder if Putin is actually just a bit of a troll who enjoys winding up the West on purpose, just for tit and giggles?
Oh he is that too. Leaders like him revel in chaos. That's why he sends planes and ships near our waters

Also if Russia does take Ukraine. China will be next with Taiwan. Afghanistan has shown Americas weakness, and the one thing with Trump was that Putin knew hw was crazier enough to push the button. America currently has very weak leadership and Putin is testing that

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Actually quite often. During the pandemic they've often been ahead of the other news outlets or government announcements. For all their faults on the big kind of news stories they don't have a bad record.

Putin is power hungry, no question. But how would we or America feel if Russia started having troop bases near our borders. We have been sending troops to countries who border russia for years. Also Ukraine isn't NATO and we are still getting involved and acting like they were. Obviously it would set a dangerous precedent to allow Russia to invade, but we aren't exactly blameless in this either.

Oh he is that too. Leaders like him revel in chaos. That's why he sends planes and ships near our waters

Also if Russia does take Ukraine. China will be next with Taiwan. Afghanistan has shown Americas weakness, and the one thing with Trump was that Putin knew hw was crazier enough to push the button. America currently has very weak leadership and Putin is testing that
Me and my husband were discussing that this morning. As awful as Trump was, I doubt Putin would be putting this much pressure on if he was still the president. In a way, the more crazier world leaders seemed to have more respect for Trump than any other recent president. Putin knows Biden is a pussy, so here we are.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I watched the Russian New Years concert and there were some very propaganda-esque songs about winning the Olympics and the friendship between China and Russia at the Olympics, so it could definitely be the case

the explosions yesterday and the evacuation of Russians were a bit of a step up. I do now think that Putin has planned to do something, possibly because Ukraine is still set on joining NATO and no one has said that they can’t
Yep, shades of Hitler in the Sudetenland, the liberating hero going in to rescue his people who are being brutalised.

A brutalisation of course orchestrated by him in the first place.

I wasn’t convinced that this was going anywhere now I’m 50-50. The pieces are on the board and I think he just might be crazy enough to go for it.

Reactions: 5
Ok, so this is starting to worry me now. Admittedly very ignorant about it all.

Reactions: 1
Whats the chances of war actually happening ? Is there a chance it could sudently cool down didn't something like this happen a few years back threatening war ?

They say war follows recession. I'll probably show my ignorance here but I don't think the West can claim the moral high ground, Putin is mad bad and dangerous but so are many other key power players. NATO have been training Ukrainian troops for years and what business did they have doing that?
But its hard to know what's really going on as there is so much propaganda. Like I said I'm ignorant so if anyone wants to enlighten me feel free.

Reactions: 9
Whats the chances of war actually happening ? Is there a chance it could sudently cool down didn't something like this happen a few years back threatening war ?
Up until a few days ago I would have said quite slim, now I really don’t know. It’s an awful lot of time and resources used by Putin for an elaborate bluff. And as above the sudden “escalation” of the situation in Eastern Ukraine is what worries me. That is the pretext and a trick as old as time.

Russia is a huge country but it must be remembered that most of it is made up of Siberia, which is basically frozen tundra. So the amount of land suitable for cultivation is relatively small in proportion to the population. The Ukraine by contrast has some of the most fertile land in the world. Indeed the flag of the Ukraine 🇺🇦 is a depiction of a blue sky over a wheat field. Ukraine has been the bread basket of Russia since Tsarist times. So Putins .... interest .... is nothing new in terms of Russian history.

Remember also the Russian economy is heavily dependent on extractive industries, and with the west committed to move away from fossil fuels over the next few decades their economic outlook is dire. I guess he thinks he ain’t got tit to lose. Why do you think Saudi Arabia, who are in the same boat, are suddenly buying football clubs, pushing for Western tourism, and buying stakes in some of the biggest Western companies?

There is going to be a major world shift over the next few decades. Saving the environment might, ironically, plunge the world into war. Because someone pays the price, and at the moment that’s Russia.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
They say war follows recession. I'll probably show my ignorance here but I don't think the West can claim the moral high ground, Putin is mad bad and dangerous but so are many other key power players. NATO have been training Ukrainian troops for years and what business did they have doing that?
But its hard to know what's really going on as there is so much propaganda. Like I said I'm ignorant so if anyone wants to enlighten me feel free.
I just hope they find some resoloution many would not cope with a war especially after covid times boris needs to step up do the right thing for once

Up until a few days ago I would have said quite slim, now I really don’t know. It’s an awful lot of time and resources used by Putin for an elaborate bluff. And as above the sudden “escalation” of the situation in Eastern Ukraine is what worries me. That is the pretext and a trick as old as time.

Russia is a huge country but it must be remembered that most of it is made up of Siberia, which is basically frozen tundra. So the amount of land suitable for cultivation is relatively small in proportion to the population. The Ukraine by contrast has some of the most fertile land in the world. Indeed the flag of the Ukraine 🇺🇦 is a depiction of a blue sky over a wheat field. Ukraine has been the bread basket of Russia since Tsarist times. So Putins .... interest .... is nothing new in terms of Russian history.

Remember also the Russian economy is heavily dependent on extractive industries, and with the west committed to move away from fossil fuels over the next few decades their economic outlook is dire. I guess he thinks he ain’t got tit to lose. Why do you think Saudi Arabia, who are in the same boat, are suddenly buying football clubs, pushing for Western tourism, and buying stakes in some of the biggest Western companies?

There is going to be a major world shift over the next few decades. Saving the environment might, ironically, plunge the world into war. Because someone pays the price, and at the moment that’s Russia.
I am actually scared now is there no way of sorting this out without a war surley all the world leaders will know the whole world would not survive with a war every ecomony in the world has been impacted by covid and we do not have spare money to go to war

NATO have been training Ukrainian troops for years and what business did they have doing that?
Ukraine is on an action plan to become a NATO country. It has every business doing that because it is a sovereign country. It has had its territories annexed by Russia in very recent history. The current situation only highlights the need for for Ukraine to join NATO. There is plenty of information available to anyone who is willing to learn, but a good place to start may be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine–NATO_relations

There already is a war in Ukraine so I guess it depends on how you define war. 😞 Whether the Russian forces will actually invade is the million dollar question right now (personally I think that, IF they invade, and that’s a big IF, they will not go further than the separatist controlled regions - but I am no political expert). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War

Ukraine is on an action plan to become a NATO country. It has every business doing that because it is a sovereign country. It has had its territories annexed by Russia in very recent history. The current situation only highlights the need for for Ukraine to join NATO. There is plenty of information available to anyone who is willing to learn, but a good place to start may be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine–NATO_relations
Sorry, this was quite a curt response 😅 I have personal ties to the region so it always surprises me when people in other parts of the world do not know much about the situation as it is so important to me.

Basically, the Ukrainian public opinion towards NATO has shifted quite radically after the Russian annexation of Crimea. This invasion followed the Euromaidan protests, which resulted in the removal of the pro-Russian and anti-EU president Yanukovich who was elected through a fraudulent election. The protests were pro-EU and pro-democracy. Most people are in favour of the NATO membership right now whereas, before the Euromaidan protests and the annexation of Crimea, more people were against it.

Last edited:
Russia is a huge country but it must be remembered that most of it is made up of Siberia, which is basically frozen tundra. So the amount of land suitable for cultivation is relatively small in proportion to the population.
It is interesting how Russia stands to gain so much from a warming climate - from more land suitable for farming and for shipping containers to be able to cross the seas. It's already started happening but stands to keep gaining productive land in the near future.

So even if Ukrain and russia go at it the likelyhood of it being a proper world war is low ? Sorry i am really not educated on this stuff honestly try not to keep up because it scares me ngl

Reactions: 2
So even if Ukrain and russia go at it the likelyhood of it being a proper world war is low ? Sorry i am really not educated on this stuff honestly try not to keep up because it scares me ngl
Not very knowledgeable so
I think the countries in most danger would be the Baltic countries + potentially Poland
US would probably get involved for the sake of being involved and the UK would follow but it would be more of a cold war again

Reactions: 1
Potentially we're heading into a world war situation, the US want a war.

Reactions: 2
boris needs to sit down and stop putting out this war narrative the media truly do not help with the aniexty around it all

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.