Ukraine Russia Tensions - Crisis - War

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's now saying Russia haven't left and have sent 7000 more troops. God knows what to believe.

can nato not make ukraine a proper member as a matter of urgency?? putin doesn't want it and it'll likely cause a (/n inevitable) reaction but surely it's better for triggering an allied response from everyone else than some sort of 'pact'. tbh i think this is just a case of ego maniac putin wanting what he can't have as always but who's to say how far he'll go.

I sometimes wonder if Putin is actually just a bit of a troll who enjoys winding up the West on purpose, just for tit and giggles?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
It's not impossible that something will happen given what's happened with annexing parts of Ukraine but it certainly won't be a world war. Last time this happened no one intervened and they definitely won't now with how weaked they are after Afghanistan and how much people need the gas.

They'll be a backdoor agreement not to expand NATO any more towards the Russian borders probably.

What'll be next to happen is China making moves on all the disputed land from the many tiny islands to taiwan.

• Sick
Reactions: 4
Only been keeping up to date with the situation the last 2 weeks or so but did anyone see the news of the Russian backed separatists shelling a kintergarden/nursery in Stanytsia-Luganska?
Also, Kremlin have announced they'll make a public response to Washingtons proposals... waiting game for the next few hours

Reactions: 1
I sometimes wonder if Putin is actually just a bit of a troll who enjoys winding up the West on purpose, just for tit and giggles?
It works though.
He’s been talking a lot about how panicked the West are, and I honestly think he’s right when you look at what the media has been saying/reporting. Even Ukraine seems to be fairly chill about it now

Apparently the propaganda stuff in Russia isn’t as big which suggests that Russia wasn’t really preparing for a large scale attack, as the propaganda kicked up before they annexed Crimea last time so they didn’t have to face pressure from the public and what not

It works though.
He’s been talking a lot about how panicked the West are, and I honestly think he’s right when you look at what the media has been saying/reporting. Even Ukraine seems to be fairly chill about it now

Apparently the propaganda stuff in Russia isn’t as big which suggests that Russia wasn’t really preparing for a large scale attack, as the propaganda kicked up before they annexed Crimea last time so they didn’t have to face pressure from the public and what not
I do find it a bit pathetic how all the big nations seem to be chomping at the bit to go to Russia to meet Putin. They bend over backwards to appease that dwarf.

Putin is way too savvy to start WWIII. He loves to push buttons but it wouldn't be a nuclear one. If it ever gets that far, it'll be a rogue state that kicks it all off.

Reactions: 7
I remember hearing that Putin is so scared to lose power in Russia because he fears he will end up being assassinated if he ever did.

Reactions: 2
I think if a war did happen there all the western nations wouldn't do much. It just looks good to puff cheeks and call cobra meetings etc. They would just watch and keep stating a 'not wanting to escalate' type mantra. So they can have been to appear of being trying to solve it then saying 'If they want to kill each other not our problem'.

But they will still be able to sit back and promise sanctions on Russia that will never happen

I still have fear fatigue from the millennium bug.....not gonna worry about a thing after that anti climax
As a student studying for a Computer Science degree in the lead up to Y2k, I got paid quite handsomely to rewrite code in my holidays. It was about as pointless as me giving up aerosol deodorant to save the ozone layer some years earlier.

Reactions: 4
It seems like Putin is close to the 200k troops needed for a full scale invasion, there's lots of disinformation floating around that Ukraine is provoking and the winter Olympics is about to close.

As much as I'd like to think it's just all for show that would be a huge amount of money to spend and not take any action.

UK embassy staff have just announced they're moving from Kiev.

I don't think a full scale invasion will happen, but seems very possible that something will take place. The next week will probably show either way.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
China has probably asked Putin to not do anything major while the Olympics was happening to take attention of that. So if he is going to do anything it'll be once they're over.

1645251135444.png

The Ukrainian crisis has nothing to do with Ukraine. It’s about Germany and, in particular, a pipeline that connects Germany to Russia called Nord Stream 2. Washington sees the pipeline as a threat to its primacy in Europe and has tried to sabotage the project at every turn. Even so, Nord Stream has pushed ahead and is now fully-operational and ready-to-go. Once German regulators provide the final certification, the gas deliveries will begin. German homeowners and businesses will have a reliable source of clean and inexpensive energy while Russia will see a significant boost to their gas revenues. It’s a win-win situation for both parties.

The US Foreign Policy establishment is not happy about these developments. They don’t want Germany to become more dependent on Russian gas because commerce builds trust and trust leads to the expansion of trade. As relations grow warmer, more trade barriers are lifted, regulations are eased, travel and tourism increase, and a new security architecture evolves. In a world where Germany and Russia are friends and trading partners, there is no need for US military bases, no need for expensive US-made weapons and missile systems, and no need for NATO. There’s also no need to transact energy deals in US Dollars or to stockpile US Treasuries to balance accounts. Transactions between business partners can be conducted in their own currencies which is bound to precipitate a sharp decline in the value of the dollar and a dramatic shift in economic power. This is why the Biden administration opposes Nord Stream. It’s not just a pipeline, it’s a window into the future; a future in which Europe and Asia are drawn closer together into a massive free trade zone that increases their mutual power and prosperity while leaving the US on the outside looking in. Warmer relations between Germany and Russia signal an end to the “unipolar” world order the US has overseen for the last 75 years. A German-Russo alliance threatens to hasten the decline of the Superpower that is presently inching closer to the abyss. This is why Washington is determined to do everything it can to sabotage Nord Stream and keep Germany within its orbit. It’s a matter of survival.

That’s where Ukraine comes into the picture. Ukraine is Washington’s ‘weapon of choice’ for torpedoing Nord Stream and putting a wedge between Germany and Russia. The strategy is taken from page one of the US Foreign Policy Handbook under the rubric: Divide and Rule. Washington needs to create the perception that Russia poses a security threat to Europe. That’s the goal. They need to show that Putin is a bloodthirsty aggressor with a hair-trigger temper who cannot be trusted. To that end, the media has been given the assignment of reiterating over and over again, “Russia is planning to invade Ukraine.” What’s left unsaid is that Russia has not invaded any country since the dissolution of the Soviet Union, and that the US has invaded or toppled regimes in more than 50 countries in the same period of time, and that the US maintains over 800 military bases in countries around the world. None of this is reported by the media, instead the focus is on “evil Putin” who has amassed an estimated 100,000 troops along the Ukrainian border threatening to plunge all of Europe into another bloody war.

All of the hysterical war propaganda is created with the intention of manufacturing a crisis that can be used to isolate, demonize and, ultimately, splinter Russia into smaller units. The real target, however, is not Russia, but Germany. Check out this excerpt from an article by Michael Hudson at The Unz Review:

The rest if interested is here

https://www.unz.com/mwhitney/the-crisis-in-ukraine-is-not-about-ukraine-its-about-germany/

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Interesting conspiracy theory, but I wouldn't give much credence. It's missing so so many of the intricate pieces in order to push a juicy narrative and get shares. Not sure if it was posted as serious or a joke? Can never tell 😆. The confict has been going on for many years, 8+.

take it putin doesn't give a tit abt the paralympics lol
You don't think Putin gives a tit about annoying the Chinese?!

China has probably asked Putin to not do anything major while the Paralympic was happening to take attention of that. So if he is going to do anything it'll be once they're over.
I watched the Russian New Years concert and there were some very propaganda-esque songs about winning the Olympics and the friendship between China and Russia at the Olympics, so it could definitely be the case

the explosions yesterday and the evacuation of Russians were a bit of a step up. I do now think that Putin has planned to do something, possibly because Ukraine is still set on joining NATO and no one has said that they can’t

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.