UK Politics #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They would have had mountains of evidence to get through and probably wanted to make the case against him was watertight.
Think most people thought there was no case to answer when they were released without charge,

The Chief Whip literally has a spreadsheet with all this stuff as blackmail material. We talk about liberal democracy (don't get me wrong, it's better than the alternatives) but parliament is a cesspit.

What does the Liam Fox one mean?

What does the Liam Fox one mean?
He accompanied Fox while at the MoD and sat in on recorded engagements despite not being security cleared. I think the nature of their relationship was slightly ambiguous and he might have used public funds to pay for him

Reactions: 3
Sir Gavin Williamson, if you please. :rolleyes: If only the British public could stop staring at their phones and revolt. I won't go on ... there's no point. I'll crawl back into bed instead and pretend it's not happening. Tomorrow I'll continue work on my bunker.

Meh, just the latest in a line of things that Sunak has given a speech about and then done nothing further to actually do what he said in the speech.

But anyone right of centre is called Far Right and I don't agree with that. Although today names as criticism just do not mean anything anymore as they're all so commonly bandied about...racist, far right, radical whatever etc, used to shut down any sort of debate. Just my opinion.
The reason so many people are being called far right is because the Tory Party don’t seem to have a moderate MPs any more. They are either batshit crazy swivel eyed loons, busy feathering their own nest or smearing Labour MPs. Sadly the decent Tories like Rory Stewart have either been hounded out, sidelined or left the party because they hate what it has become. There are plenty of political commentators who will tell you that this is the most right the Tories have been for years.
---
Meh, just the latest in a line of things that Sunak has given a speech about and then done nothing further to actually do what he said in the speech.
They needed something new after the small boats deflection tactic so now they are going after the sick. May was right when she said they were turning into the nasty party. Perhaps Sunak should do something about the appalling state of the NHS rather than blame the people who can’t even get a doctors appointment.

Reactions: 9
Todays 'announcement' by Sunak about disability benefits is just a repeat of the proposals announced in the March 2023 budget ...

... and the stuff about losing benefits if you don't find work was previously announced in November 2023 ...

Sunak's speech was a lot of nonsense and 'tough' soundbites for people who don't understand the benefits system. It's a pity that the media don't appear to have anybody sufficiently knowledgeable who could ask questions to expose this. Obviously the whole point is to force people back to work to support the Tory plans to cut immigration and cut the cost of benefits in the process.

It happens every few years, government decides too many people are claiming a benefit so introduce a new one that will be tougher to get e.g. Disability Living Allowance (DLA) changing to Personal Independence Payment (PIP), after a few years they decide there's too many people claiming that benefit so introduce a changes to stop that. Most of the benefit system is about finding reasons not to pay the benefits that already exist.

But of course these 'new' announcements are all dependent on the Tories winning the next election, so ...

Reactions: 5
The Chief Whip literally has a spreadsheet with all this stuff as blackmail material. We talk about liberal democracy (don't get me wrong, it's better than the alternatives) but parliament is a cesspit.

The messy lives of MPs never ceases to amaze me.
I'm 20 years younger at least and have never had this much drama in my life

Some of these actions amount to harassment and are sack worthy so it's INSANE that instead of doing the right thing, it's being used as leverage.

Perhaps Sunak should do something about the appalling state of the NHS rather than blame the people who can’t even get a doctors appointment.
Exactly. You can't make it so people can only see a doctor when they're seriously ill (and sometimes not even then), then moan that people are too sick to work.

On reflection I wonder if even Sunak understand's what he is talking about regarding disability benefits. Does he really think that GPs can continually provide fit / sick notes so that people claiming benefits do not have to look for work? That's nonsense. If a claimant has fit notes that prevent them from seeking work for 28 days the DWP can already insist that they undergo a health assessment conducted by a 'health professional' contracted to DWP. After that if they say you're fit to work it doesn't matter what your GP thinks. Unfortunately most people have taken his comments about GPs as meaning that they won't be able to give you a fit note for your employer. That's not what's proposed.

Reactions: 6
The reason so many people are being called far right is because the Tory Party don’t seem to have a moderate MPs any more. They are either batshit crazy swivel eyed loons, busy feathering their own nest or smearing Labour MPs. Sadly the decent Tories like Rory Stewart have either been hounded out, sidelined or left the party because they hate what it has become. There are plenty of political commentators who will tell you that this is the most right the Tories have been for years.
You're right in saying the Tory party are the most right they have been for years. There were quite a few Tory MP's I liked but they have all gone. The ones I still like such as Tom Tugenhat, I am now questioning their judgment for staying!!

This obsession with holding onto the red wall voters is their undoing. They have absolutely lost all the moderate Tory voters who will be defecting to Sir Keir at the next election.

Reactions: 1
On reflection I wonder if even Sunak understand's what he is talking about regarding disability benefits.
Rishi is a bean-counter. I don't think he's a 'bad' person. He's just not a politician. So even as I type and think, that must make him a good person! LOL. I don't get why Rishi is bothering. He could walk away right now and live a wonderful life. The Tory party is in tatters, a bit like the Republican's in the US. The lunatics are taking over the asylum, big time. I think Rishi is a good thing right now (for the Tory party) because I think whoever follows will be utterly, utterly disgusting.

Reactions: 2
For me, it's less about the possibility that this will become policy and more about the fact that the Tories seem to always need new scapegoats and targets.

It doesn't seem like people are falling for it this time but I'm sure the intention is to make the public hate benefit recipients like they did in the early 2000s.

It's all about dividing people.

Reactions: 6