UK Politics #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do you mean? Funny, I actually saw this live as I flicked-around the TV. Everyone in the chamber seemed to laugh and dismiss Galloway, but I thought he made a good point regarding how we (The West) fucked-over Iran in the past and that it's ridiculous why the current regime would give a toss about whatever Cameron et. al say. Lammy looked a prat ... but then again, when doesn't he.
I agree with you! The cat amongst the pigeons 😂. I like that he’s not afraid to say what many are thinking , that’s the type of opposition we need.

Reactions: 1
Whether you like Farage and Braverman or not this stunt was just purely censorship and I think it's ridiculous to call it a "Far Right" conference. Everyone who isn't left is called far right nowadays.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Whether you like Farage and Braverman or not this stunt was just purely censorship and I think it's ridiculous to call it a "Far Right" conference. Everyone who isn't left is called far right nowadays.
Everyone has their own political viewpoints but I found it especially amusing because Suella only a few months ago as home secretary was frothing at the mouth about extremists and banning the right to protest. She's had a swift dose of her own medicine.

Reactions: 10
It's very noticeable that right-wingers never seem to want to be called right-wingers.
But anyone right of centre is called Far Right and I don't agree with that. Although today names as criticism just do not mean anything anymore as they're all so commonly bandied about...racist, far right, radical whatever etc, used to shut down any sort of debate. Just my opinion.
---
...did you look up the speakers...?
All of them no, but the ones that I saw mentioned in the press reports were not people that are members of any banned terrorist organisations or anything like that so I don't see what the problem is. And it's since come out that the mayor who tried to close this down hosted the mayor of Tehran last year. So for a conference that seemed to be not very well publicised, well the whole world knows about it now and it's not reflected very well on the mayor that started it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
But anyone right of centre is called Far Right and I don't agree with that. Although today names as criticism just do not mean anything anymore as they're all so commonly bandied about...racist, far right, radical whatever etc, used to shut down any sort of debate. Just my opinion.
---

All of them no, but the ones that I saw mentioned in the press reports were not people that are members of any banned terrorist organisations or anything like that so I don't see what the problem is. And it's since come out that the mayor who tried to close this down hosted the mayor of Tehran last year. So for a conference that seemed to be not very well publicised, well the whole world knows about it now and it's not reflected very well on the mayor that started it all.
AKA 'the Owen Jones technique.' Anyone who disagrees with me is 'far right,' because I'm too limited to mount an intelligent argument, so I'll just call them a 'fascist'

Reactions: 4
Well yes, that does often seem to be the case. I saw a video on Twitter of a Let Women Speak group being called Nazi Scum by the Trans Rights Activists. I get that there are opposite sides to any debate but calling the women Nazi Scum is completely inappropriate.
We need left and right opinions, everyone should be able to have their say but calling people far right and indeed far left seems to be the norm these days.

Reactions: 6
All of them no, but the ones that I saw mentioned in the press reports were not people that are members of any banned terrorist organisations or anything like that so I don't see what the problem is.
I'm not sure who you looked up but some of the speakers have been accused of anti semitism, racism, homophobia... general bigotry.

Last year's event had a similarly questionable line up.

Obviously they're smart enough to not actually have a room full of Nazis just so there's enough plausible deniability and room for doubt, but there is a spectrum of ideas at the event.

It is interesting how willing some in the public sphere get to far right ideology but don't want to be associated as such.

AKA 'the Owen Jones technique.' Anyone who disagrees with me is 'far right,' because I'm too limited to mount an intelligent argument, so I'll just call them a 'fascist'
Many of our current MPs are equally happy to throw the lefty loony, lefty activist, extreme left accusations about too.

Neither side is immune to mud slinging or exaggerated name calling.

I'm not sure who you looked up but some of the speakers have been accused of anti semitism, racism, homophobia... general bigotry.

Obviously they're smart enough to not actually have a room full of Nazis just so there's enough plausible deniability and room for doubt, but there is a spectrum of ideas at the event.

It is interesting how willing some in the public sphere get to far right ideology but don't want to be associated as such.

Many of our current MPs are equally happy to throw the lefty loony, lefty activist, extreme left accusations about too.

Yes, of course it goes both ways. Re trans activism, I've only ever seen actual physical violence from one side

Reactions: 3

So "a spectrum of ideas" automatically becomes associated as "far right" though because that's the impression I'm getting here. I daresay if I attended that conference I might agree with some of the speakers and maybe not others, but I'd probably still be classed as far right. Unless people are acting outside of the law I don't see the problem, if they haven't been convicted of these accusations made against them. We can't only just allow opinions that we agree with.

So "a spectrum of ideas" automatically becomes associated as "far right" though because that's the impression I'm getting here. I daresay if I attended that conference I might agree with some of the speakers and maybe not others, but I'd probably still be classed as far right. Unless people are acting outside of the law I don't see the problem, if they haven't been convicted of these accusations made against them. We can't only just allow opinions that we agree with.
No extreme ideas should be endorsed and that includes sharing a stage with people who have damaging points of views even if your own are moderate.

If you have give just one person with damaging ideas a platform, that's one too many.

And this is the problem with the current public discourse, the belief you can rub shoulders with, give platforms to and borrow ideas that are more extreme from people all in the name of "balance".

No extreme ideas should be endorsed and that includes sharing a stage with people who have damaging points of views even if your own are moderate.

If you have give just one person with damaging ideas a platform, that's one too many.

And this is the problem with the current public discourse, the belief you can rub shoulders with, give platforms to and borrow ideas that are more extreme from people all in the name of "balance".
But that is so subjective. Take anti abortion for example. To ban abortion would be regarded as extreme but there are plenty of people who agree with it. You will find those that don't agree with period. You will find many who would agree to abortion if there is a sound medical reason/risk of life but don't agree with abortion and believe it should not happen. It depends on what side of the fence you are sitting on whether it is extreme or not.

You cannot stop free speech because you don't like some of what is being discussed. If it crosses a line and is illegal then there are laws to deal with it.

Reactions: 5

I suppose my point about this conference is that I haven't seen anything reported about it that was shown to be extremist speech or ideas.

But that is so subjective. Take anti abortion for example. To ban abortion would be regarded as extreme but there are plenty of people who agree with it. You will find those that don't agree with period. You will find many who would agree to abortion if there is a sound medical reason/risk of life but don't agree with abortion and believe it should not happen. It depends on what side of the fence you are sitting on whether it is extreme or not.

You cannot stop free speech because you don't like some of what is being discussed. If it crosses a line and is illegal then there are laws to deal with it.
I'm very confused as to how this turned into a free speech/legal discussion as I'm 100% certain I didn't suggest banning anything.

My point was actually about the argument of what is described as far right (and arguably far left) and what isn't.

I'm talking about the fact that certain public figures veer close to the far right sphere and community, then throw their hands up in defence if anyone calls them such.

There are speakers at the event who can be accurately described as far right, so there shouldn't be surprise that it was called a far right event.

Anyhow, it's back on

Right wing free speech lives on, far or otherwise.

I'm very confused as to how this turned into a free speech/legal discussion as I'm 100% certain I didn't suggest banning anything.
You didn't but it obviously it was closed about 3 times in total until the Belgium PM got involved.

Any extreme isn't good. Fascist, far right, far left, communist. My own experience of Liverpool in the 80's showed me how scary the far left can be. Personally, I like to know where all these types are so we know what they're saying.

Reactions: 6