UK Politics #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We managed it post war, and we were already in debt. We have to spend to create the future, the problem is in how people have been convinced the government purse operates. It’s does not work like a household budget, but that’s the way it’s treated. You have to speculate to accumulate, that’s a business idea, it also applies to the country’s finances. We invest in Britain and our people, that is the way to boost the economy.
If only we still had the Marshall Plan.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
If only we still had the Marshall Plan.
I wish, but America is just as politically fucked as us! Both countries are headed on a dark path, we need a course correction but the Media will never allow that. That’s something else we need politicians to do, create laws around the press, too many lies, too much spin. Between our politicians and our press it’s easy to see why there is a rise in conspiracy theories. Who can people trust?

Reactions: 2
We currently have the highest tax burden ever but less and less of our services are working effectively or publicly owned.

If we're paying more tax but have fewer publicly owned services, what is our money going towards?

Reactions: 5
I wish, but America is just as politically fucked as us! Both countries are headed on a dark path, we need a course correction but the Media will never allow that. That’s something else we need politicians to do, create laws around the press, too many lies, too much spin. Between our politicians and our press it’s easy to see why there is a rise in conspiracy theories. Who can people trust?
You're preaching to the converted but you also have to convince those floating voters / people who are disillusioned with the Tories to get into power to implement your policies. Even when Corbyn had a fully costed ambitious manifesto he failed to do so.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
In 2019 he got less of a vote percentage than Tony Blair did in 2005 campaigning for his third term in power.

What you are listing is lovely and in an ideal world I'd love nationalised utilities, mobile phones, broadband etc but I'm not sure in the state the county is in now that all you list is immediately feasible.

You can campaign for all the lovely things until you're blue in the face but unless you convince the general electorate you're always going to be in opposition. Sure the older generations who voted for the Tories in previous years are ageing etc, but a new generation is there to immediately replace them.

Let's be honest, if you're not voting Labour you're going to allow the Tories another term in power. I'm not going to base my vote on what he says about Israel and Gaza.
And that is why Corbyn and the like would never be elected. It's too much and the million centrists out there, whose vote you would need to get into power, would never buy it. It's sounds fab but it's a fairytale.

Concentrate on something that is attainable. I'm very much in favour of nationalising Water and Electric because they are essentials (you can do without gas) but I wouldn't go near something like the Royal Mail or mobile phones. Trains and broadband can wait until absolute essentials like the NHS are sorted. It's all about priorities and it has to be realistic to get the vote.

As for the grey vote it never goes away. There will always be old people.

I'm old enough to remember when all that stuff was nationalised. It is not the magic answer every one thinks it would be.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
You're preaching to the converted but you also have to convince those floating voters / people who are disillusioned with the Tories to get into power to implement your policies. Even when Corbyn had a fully costed ambitious manifesto he failed to do so.
Sorry, didn’t mean to preach. I’m really excited to find a politics thread and share ideas. We need a brave leader and an informed electorate, essentially we are stuffed for the foreseeable future. Corbyn would have been ideal, but he was crucified in the media, he did well considering; the only major issue I have with him is his stance on nuclear weapons. I used to agree with him, but having seen Putin’s and Israel’s military actions I have had a change in opinion.

It seems the world is going through an authoritarian era in politics, it’s worrying. But I am so happy to find a place to discuss everything.

• Heart
We currently have the highest tax burden ever but less and less of our services are working effectively or publicly owned.

If we're paying more tax but have fewer publicly owned services, what is our money going towards?
Under investment in public services during austerity means we are now having to pay more to get them to an acceptable standard. We also have an ageing population which means there is more pressure on healthcare and pensions make up quite a large percentage of our welfare budget. Leaving the EU also affected our trade position and export growth potential. There are a lot of factors which have culminated in this utter miserable time we're having at the moment 😅 . There's probably some other really clever explanation relating to debt and inflation thrown in there somewhere too.
---
And that is why Corbyn and the like would never be elected. It's too much and the million centrists out there, whose vote you would need to get into power, would never buy it. It's sounds fab but it's a fairytale.

Concentrate on something that is attainable. I'm very much in favour of nationalising Water and Electric because they are essentials (you can do without gas) but I wouldn't go near something like the Royal Mail or mobile phones. Trains and broadband can wait until absolute essentials like the NHS are sorted. It's all about priorities and it has to be realistic to get the vote.

As for the grey vote it never goes away. There will always be old people.

I'm old enough to remember when all that stuff was nationalised. It is not the magic answer every one thinks it would be.
Yeah, I mean if you look historically in England mostly (which makes up the largest voting block in the UK) it is really quite conservative. It feels like basing politics around the centre is one of the best ways to get into power, and then once you're in power trying to pass the more ambitious plans. I remember when Labour campaigned for the National Minimum Wage and Tories were against it saying that it would cause so many businesses to go bust, and now no party would ever think of getting rid of it! You can't make any changes unless you're in power and I think the only way you will get into power is by adopting a fairly pragmatic approach. I don't think Starmer sets the world alight but he seems fairly sensible.
---
Sorry, didn’t mean to preach. I’m really excited to find a politics thread and share ideas. We need a brave leader and an informed electorate, essentially we are stuffed for the foreseeable future. Corbyn would have been ideal, but he was crucified in the media, he did well considering; the only major issue I have with him is his stance on nuclear weapons. I used to agree with him, but having seen Putin’s and Israel’s military actions I have had a change in opinion.

It seems the world is going through an authoritarian era in politics, it’s worrying. But I am so happy to find a place to discuss everything.
I like this thread, it's a good place to discuss ideas :).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Under investment in public services during austerity means we are now having to pay more to get them to an acceptable standard. We also have an ageing population which means there is more pressure on healthcare and pensions make up quite a large percentage of our welfare budget. Leaving the EU also affected our trade position and export growth potential. There are a lot of factors which have culminated in this utter miserable time we're having at the moment 😅 . There's probably some other really clever explanation relating to debt and inflation thrown in there somewhere too.
---

Yeah, I mean if you look historically in England mostly (which makes up the largest voting block in the UK) it is really quite conservative. It feels like basing politics around the centre is one of the best ways to get into power, and then once you're in power trying to pass the more ambitious plans. I remember when Labour campaigned for the National Minimum Wage and Tories were against it saying that it would cause so many businesses to go bust, and now no party would ever think of getting rid of it!
---

I like this thread, it's a good place to discuss ideas :).
You may get the impression I don’t like the Tories, but they legalised gay marriage so I give them credit where it’s due.

My problem with this generation of politicians is that I don’t trust them, they are cruel. I didn’t like Thatcher’s policies, but it was an ideological disagreement, politically speaking, I never felt they were malicious or cruel. I trusted that, whilst we had a different viewpoint they were still acting in a way they believed was best for the country. I know there were many self serving politicians, but I still believe they put the country first. Maybe I’m too much of an optimist.

I think tax should be really simplified. Otherwise people are wary of starting anything in case the taxman comes for some innocuous tax that limits progress and catches them unawares.

My gawd, I just had the misfortune to catch the end of Richard Madeley and Susanna Reid 'Interviewing' George Galloway. What a bleeping car crash. I'm no fan of George, but Good Morning Britain should just stick to having Andi Peters tell people to call premium phone-lines. What an embarrassment. Same when Mick Lynch went on there, Madeley just isn't up for the job and even Susanna seemed to be flustered this morning. CRINGE. Oh and what did I learn? duck All. Utterly pointless.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Didn’t think they could ruin it anymore than what it is.

Khan for the win. I am impressed the Tories managed to find a candidate even worse than Shaun Bailey to run this time.
They want Khan to stay in place, they see him as their best possible advert for why not to vote labour in a general election!

UK politics is in such woeful mess.

• Heart
Lord Bailey if you please.
He's a Baron isn't he? Is there much of a difference in how you address them - I have no idea.
---
They want Khan to stay in place, they see him as their best possible advert for why not to vote labour in a general election!

UK politics is in such woeful mess.
I really don't think anyone seriously thinks Labour can be any worse in government than the Conservatives.

Next to Susan Hall he's a political titan. And he has not wasted millions on a failed garden bridge project, busses not fit for purpose or water cannons like the previous mayor.

Reactions: 6
He's a Baron isn't he? Is there much of a difference in how you address them - I have no idea.
---

I really don't think anyone seriously thinks Labour can be any worse in government than the Conservatives.

Next to Susan Hall he's a political titan. And he has not wasted millions on a failed garden bridge project, busses not fit for purpose or water cannons like the previous mayor.
Sure. I didn't say I agreed, I'm just saying why the conservatives are happily putting such dreadful candidates up for London mayor. They could find someone who could give it a decent shot if they wanted to, but they are happy with Khan in place.

Reactions: 1
Sure. I didn't say I agreed, I'm just saying why the conservatives are happily putting such dreadful candidates up for London mayor. They could find someone who could give it a decent shot if they wanted to, but they are happy with Khan in place.
I think the Conservatives first preference was Daniel Korski but he withdrew after allegations of sexual misconduct were made against him.

I also think they probably consider it unlikely any Conservative will get into power so probably dont bother fielding a strong candidate.