UK Politics #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Khan for the win. I am impressed the Tories managed to find a candidate even worse than Shaun Bailey to run this time.
I can only assume the Tories don't want it. Their candidates are absolutely abysmal. They only put Boris up because Cameron and Osborne wanted him out of their hair.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I can only assume the Tories don't want it. Their candidates are absolutely abysmal. They only put Boris up because Cameron and Osborne wanted him out of their hair.
So I guess Londoners will be smelling Khan's farts for another X number of years and James O'Brien on LBC will have at least one more 'politician' to interview on his show. I have no dog in the race other than the fact whatever happens in 'that' London might eventually happen in my city.

PS. I heard a poll today regarding Britain's most popular politician, guess who it was <drum roll please> .... Andy Burnham. Discuss.

Reactions: 1
So I guess Londoners will be smelling Khan's farts for another X number of years and James O'Brien on LBC will have at least one more 'politician' to interview on his show. I have no dog in the race other than the fact whatever happens in 'that' London might eventually happen in my city.

PS. I heard a poll today regarding Britain's most popular politician, guess who it was <drum roll please> .... Andy Burnham. Discuss.
I am one of those people that really likes Andy Burnham. He is way more charismatic the Starmer. I'd rather he was in charge than Starmer tbh but I'll take Starmer given the other options.

As for the Mayor of London it doesn't effect me either, so, good luck London 🤪

Reactions: 7
I am one of those people that really likes Andy Burnham. He is way more charismatic the Starmer. I'd rather he was in charge than Starmer tbh but I'll take Starmer given the other options.

Andy Burnham has excellent eyelashes.

• Haha
Reactions: 6

When Starmer got the job I thought he was keeping it warm until Burnham was back in parliament as I thought there was no way that Labour would beat Johnson for at least a parliament, but then I forgot that Johnson was an utter fuckwit who soon showed his limitations.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Convince me to vote Labour. And don't just say 'to get the Tories out'. I've never voted Labour (I would have voted for John Smith) and I've only voted Tory once, for William Hague (don't ask me why! I think I fancied his wife).

I don't plan to vote Conservative, my local MP is a Tory and is a disgrace who I won't name here. He'll get in again too which is deeply depressing. I voted Green last time even though I'm a fan of Nuclear energy. But their stance on transgender and wishy-washy attitude to puberty-blocking drugs puts me right off them, so I won't vote Green this time.

For the record I like Sir Kier, I think he's a decent man but my worry is that if Labour get in with a massive majority the 'looney left' (I'm 50 years old) will strangle the party and I'm not sure Keir has the nuts to put them down. That's my fear. The latest missive, regarding re-nationalising the railways also scares me. IMO the regulators need to be overhauled and held to account and told to sort out the private sector properly. I don't think re-nationalisation is the answer at all. Again, although I'am most certainly a support of Unions, they can sometimes go too far.

As I said, my local MP is a Tory and he will win again, so just indulge me ... why should I vote for Labour and Sir Keir?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
When Starmer got the job I thought he was keeping it warm until Burnham was back in parliament as I thought there was no way that Labour would beat Johnson for at least a parliament, but then I forgot that Johnson was an utter fuckwit who soon showed his limitations.
I thought exactly the same and I got the impression Burnham was on manoeuvres to make a return and take on Boris. However, as you say, Boris is such a twit and his predecessors so unbelievably useless that they have made it so easy for Starmer to take this massive lead without actually doing anything. Burnham seems to have gone with it and retreated for the moment but I suspect he will be back at some stage.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I think he's a decent man but my worry is that if Labour get in with a massive majority the 'looney left' (I'm 50 years old) will strangle the party and I'm not sure Keir has the nuts to put them down.
No chance of that. He's firmly given them the shove from any influence, that's why all the Magic Grandpa cultists are crying to anyone who'll listen on twitter that Starmer's some sort of Tory and telling them to vote green or that twit Galloway's latest vehicle.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
No chance of that. He's firmly given them the shove from any influence, that's why all the Magic Grandpa cultists are crying to anyone who'll listen on twitter that Starmer's some sort of Tory and telling them to vote green or that twit Galloway's latest vehicle.
KK. I take you at your word. That twit 'Jess' Phillips puts me right off Labour I have to confess. But yes, all political parties have members you don't like. I can deal with Jess if I have to.

Reactions: 3
They cannot come from any NATO alliance military. Look up NATO, the West is currently performing a subtle political and diplomatic dance, as long as NATO forces stay out of Ukraine, Putin will not engage the rest of the west. Seriously read up on NATO. For reference the First World War was started because of an alliance treaty like NATO. The stakes are much higher now due to nuclear proliferation.

On another subject, anyone else see this yesterday?

Apparently this muppet thought Cameron was a good Prime Minister and he was happy to standby by austerity, but now just before he and the majority of Tory MPs lose their seats he has suddenly developed a conscience and decided to cross the floor to Labour. bleeping opportunistic twit, wasn’t bothered about the state of the NHS before, but now he can’t look his colleagues in the eye. This is why so many people hate the Tories.
I have just read the article and it doesn’t sound like he has suddenly found a conscious. The decline of the NHS has been going on for years and it sounds like it has gradually worn him down too. Personally I have a great deal of respect for people who can change their minds in face of the evidence and doubt if he just woke up one morning and decided he would be better off jumping ship. He is not standing as an MP again and is planning to work in helping to restore the NHS. A good thing surely?
---
It’s setting the stage for Ukraine joining NATO after the cessation of the war. That’s the “conditions to be met”, it also says about creating a NATO-Ukraine council. So no they aren’t letting Ukraine in until then. This article is last year, how much progress has been made with the contents of the article? The military aid packages are the only action currently ongoing, other than Sweden now being a member of NATO everything else hasn’t come to pass and it’s almost a year since this article was published. Yes there are plans for Ukraine to join NATO, it won’t happen until the end of this war. It’s NATO rules, no country involved in active military conflict cannot join. Once the war is over Ukraine will probably join NATO, that is the plan.

If you can tell me which bit are you not understanding, I can try and clarify further as we seem to be going round and round.
However the war ends, I can’t see Putin accepting Ukraine joining NATO. He is paranoid enough about NATO getting nearer and nearer. If terms are to be agreed at some point whilst he might accept Ukraine neutrality I can’t see him allowing them to join NATO.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Let's be honest, if you're not voting Labour you're going to allow the Tories another term in power.
I don’t like Labour, I think they are terrible and it would go against everything for me to vote for them.
So according to people like you we should just ignore that, and do something we fundamentally disagree with just to get the Tories out?
Or we can use our democratic right to vote for who we want to? I bloody hate tactical voting - I’ve seen people bully others because they didn’t vote for Labour.
(No I won’t vote for the Tories, I think they are useless).

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have just read the article and it doesn’t sound like he has suddenly found a conscious. The decline of the NHS has been going on for years and it sounds like it has gradually worn him down too. Personally I have a great deal of respect for people who can change their minds in face of the evidence and doubt if he just woke up one morning and decided he would be better off jumping ship. He is not standing as an MP again and is planning to work in helping to restore the NHS. A good thing surely?
---

However the war ends, I can’t see Putin accepting Ukraine joining NATO. He is paranoid enough about NATO getting nearer and nearer. If terms are to be agreed at some point whilst he might accept Ukraine neutrality I can’t see him allowing them to join NATO.
He’s going to be given a job consulting/advising labour on the NHS and he knows he’s not going to be elected in the next election, that’s why I said opportunistic.

I agree about Putin, he has been paranoid about Ukraine joining NATO and that meaning NATO is directly on the Russian border. It’s that and trying to bring the old USSR gang back together. There is a stalemate here, and only a decisive victory or the prospect of one by Ukraine will bring him to the negotiating table. It is the only way he would agree to any terms in Ukraine’s favour. It’s a tit show that has no hope of stopping unless he dies or him and his inner sanctum are properly sanctioned.
---
I don’t like Labour, I think they are terrible and it would go against everything for me to vote for them.
So according to people like you we should just ignore that, and do something we fundamentally disagree with just to get the Tories out?
Or we can use our democratic right to vote for who we want to? I bloody hate tactical voting - I’ve seen people bully others because they didn’t vote for Labour.
Preach 🙌🏻🙌🏻

I refuse to tactically vote too, I refuse to vote against my conscience and I will never vote Tory. I will not vote for the Labour Party in its current iteration.

If everyone who tactically voted actually voted their for their values it could change how politics is done in this country. Green Party for me, they are the only truly left wing party still standing and they have a progressive manifesto. I’m voting for change, as this country is dying and none of the two main parties have any clear ideas or direction in how to sort out the mess we are currently in.

I have had people try to tell me to vote tactically, nope, my vote is my vote not to be dictated or decided by anyone other than me.

Last edited:
If it means that he can help Starmer in his momentous task to rebuild the NHS then good for him. His defection is also another nail in the Tory coffin so good for him for that too!

You don't like Tories, you don't like Labour. Who do you actually like?

Reactions: 4
At the moment none of them, I really don’t know who to vote for 🙁
Are you feeling politically adrift too? Are there any independent or LibDem candidates you could get behind? I’m in Wales, when there isn’t a candidate I can get behind I can always vote Plaid Cymru. I wish we could have a none of the above option.

Are you feeling politically adrift too? Are there any independent or LibDem candidates you could get behind? I’m in Wales, when there isn’t a candidate I can get behind I can always vote Plaid Cymru. I wish we could have a none of the above option.
I totally agree - I think none of the above would win by a landslide.

• Heart
Im a cynical old bastard but I don’t believe Dan Poulter. Just look at his voting record.
I think he’s another rat leaving a sinking ship, but he’s cynical and clever enough to have pitched it as a matter of conscience, while I’m not convinced he even has one.

• Heart