UK Politics #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not particularly concerned about whether Gove likes a dance or what if anything he chooses to put up his nose. More concerned about some other current political issues for example:
  • Gove's "Renters Reform Bill" announced in 2019 still hasn't come to parliament
  • Government intentionally disenfranchising 2 million voters with an unnecessary voter ID legislation and dismissing concerns about it by saying "well some of them probably weren't going to vote anyway"
  • Food rationing
  • Tories using N.Ireland to prosecute their never ending internal war
  • Failure to hold water companies to account for discharging raw sewage in to sea and rivers - 900 per cent increase in intestinal enterococci in sea off Brighton
  • Government ministers calling the Junior Doctors current pay award of 8.4% over 4 years a 'significant pay increase' when inflation is running at 10% and their pay has been eroded by 26% since 2008

Reactions: 8
The government plan to let 12000 asylum seekers in without face to face assessment, just a questionnaire, seems very off brand.

Reactions: 2
The government plan to let 12000 asylum seekers in without face to face assessment, just a questionnaire, seems very off brand.
It does rather but of course they have also committed to reducing the backlog. I assume the thinking is that based on history 95% of the claims from the countries included in the paper exercise are successful so they are probably going to agree most anyway. There's also a possibility that they have cynically assumed that more than 5% of the claimants won't return their form so their claim will be considered 'withdrawn' anyway.

Reactions: 1
this is really local to me and the area is a weird one when it comes to politics. very much scouse identity / duck the tories / don't buy the sun and one of the safest labour seats in the country, but voted for brexit and ukip got 10% of votes in 2015. not a very diverse area either (literally 98% white) and as of a few years ago we have no further education / A level providers in the whole borough

the 'protests' started after a 25yo asylum seeker approached a 15yo schoolgirl and asked for her number etc, people put two and two together that migrants were being housed in a local hotel and after the police not finding a suspect within days 'took matters into their own hands'. don't even think there was any evidence to suggest the man was part of the hotel group? but might be wrong there.

Patriotic Alternative jumped on it and organised the 'protest', locals joined in thinking it was about paedophilia when that was a thinly veiled attempt at disguising the racist / anti immigrant sentiment the PA push. If it was really about paedophilia, why not protest at ashworth while ian brady was alive? rock up to prince andrew's gates and start a fire there? would they be using one mans behaviour to attack all asylum seekers if they were white or 'palatable' europeans? completely agree that it became a riot.

anyway, thought this twitter thread explained it quite well

Similar going on in Dover at the moment, all the papers have picked up on it. Four Afghan boys were arrested after a 15 yr old girl said she was raped, now Patriotic Alternative (I think) are planning a demo and the girls are demonstrating every day in the town. Police havent charged anyone, but it's getting a lot of interest locally. Last thing Dover needs is a Patriotic Alternative rally :(

I was reading today that Boris wants the UK to give Ukraine "all our jets". I'm all for helping as much as we can, but wouldn't that surely leave the UK exposed if we were attacked with nothing to help our own defences?
Any source for that quote?

All the papers have said he said ā€œcut to the chase and give them the planesā€ nothing about giving them all of our planes which would be very different. Although the quote could be open to some interpretation.

Any source for that quote?

All the papers have said he said ā€œcut to the chase and give them the planesā€ nothing about giving them all of our planes which would be very different. Although the quote could be open to some interpretation.

Oh crikey it's a while ago now. Let me see if it's on line anywhere. I read the Daily Express and Mr HL The Times so it must have been in one of those. Give me a mo to look.

Edit for @Yel
---
Screenshot_20230223-134806.png

Last edited:
Oh crikey it's a while ago now. Let me see if it's on line anywhere. I read the Daily Express and Mr HL The Times so it must have been in one of those. Give me a mo to look.

Edit for @Yel
---
View attachment 1981789
Ah thanks, from their article I can't see where they're getting that quote from other than them making it up?

Looks like since publishing they've changed the title from

Boris insists UK must give Ukraine all of its fighter jets

To

Boris urges Sunak to give Ukraine fighter jets as Zelensky pleas for 'wings of freedom'

Fabulous accurate reporting as per usual šŸ˜†

The only jets that the UK might consider giving to Ukraine is the 'tranche 1' Typhoons due to come out of service in 2025 and actually it's being suggested that these might be modified for an extended service life because we simply don't have enough aircraft. The RAF has already been 'hollowed out' by years of cuts. The idea that we've got aircraft that we don't need is a typically ridiculous comment from Johnson.

The only jets that the UK might consider giving to Ukraine is the 'tranche 1' Typhoons due to come out of service in 2025 and actually it's being suggested that these might be modified for an extended service life because we simply don't have enough aircraft. The RAF has already been 'hollowed out' by years of cuts. The idea that we've got aircraft that we don't need is a typically ridiculous comment from Johnson.
He might like to remember that when pressed, Churchill refused to send any fighter planes to France when the Battle of France was going wrong.

Honestly, I donā€™t know why they bothered to change the headline.
ā€œJohnson talks self-aggrandising, attention-seeking, nonsensical bollocksā€ would surely cover everything between now and the next election.

Reactions: 5
It does rather but of course they have also committed to reducing the backlog. I assume the thinking is that based on history 95% of the claims from the countries included in the paper exercise are successful so they are probably going to agree most anyway. There's also a possibility that they have cynically assumed that more than 5% of the claimants won't return their form so their claim will be considered 'withdrawn' anyway.
They will all copy the first claim that gets granted. How stupid šŸ˜³

I canā€™t get the meds I need as thereā€™s a shortage but two turnips twice a day should work as well, shouldnā€™t it?

Reactions: 3
I canā€™t get the meds I need as thereā€™s a shortage but two turnips twice a day should work as well, shouldnā€™t it?
Yes, yet more unparalleled wisdom from Theresa Coffey:
  • If you can't get tomatoes eat turnips
  • If you don't have enough money work more hours or get new skills
  • Water companies pumping raw sewage into the UK's rivers and seas is all the fault of the Labour party

• Angry
Reactions: 3
Weā€™ve got no shortage of fruit n veg infact Sainsburyā€™s are practically giving it away, only malnutrition being caused is by rising bills and low wages.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.