UK Politics #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's tit to think he could get back in based on racism and xenophobia. But then we're in a complete mess because of those issues.
That’s Boris in a nutshell though, that side of him was what made many people vote for him.

I mean everyone was up in arms in regards to corbyn and antisemitism when he wasn’t one who actually said anything, it was the party as whole but no one had a problem voting for a party where the actual LEADER has been openly racist towards black people and muslims.

Reactions: 20
If Sunak does a deal to let Johnson back in or if he gets the numbers to get into the members vote and the Blue Rinse Brigade and the Gammons vote him back in, we should down tools and not pick them up again until a GE is called. We are far too passive in this country. To get our voices heard we need a General Strike. As for the media whipping things up, it’s hard to see how they could make things worse. If anything the right wing press played down Johnson’s ineptness and corruption and actually made Truss sound like a capable candidate when most of us could see that she was a car crash waiting to happen. The French would have been all over the spiralling energy prices and mortgage rates and would be sharpening the guillotines as we speak. If the media have been whipping things up out of all proportion, it hasn’t made much more of an affect other than to make people draw their curtains tighter and kick the cat. Gotta love the Brits in adversity 🙄
You have a bit of romanticised idea of the French 😅

Reactions: 4
Braverman swings for Sunak

Cleverly rooting for Boris

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
The issues which led to the cost of living crisis aren't really his fault, and have a lot to do with Covid and Ukraine. The issue, presumably, is that they don't agree with how he dealt with those factors as Chancellor.

I personally didn't think some of the covid stuff went far enough, but in hindsight spending even more at the time might have made inflation worse now.

The main issue now is whether we get more Osborne style austerity, and whether that will actually help.
It's worth remembering at this point that the cost of living crisis is not unique to the UK but what is relevant is how it is dealt with. I don't hold Rishi responsible for that and he did some good work with furlough.
Thanks for the replies! I was just curious as all I’ve really seen is “he got us into this mess” without clarifying the WHY they think this. But this makes a lot of sense. I thought the Eat out to Help out scheme made sense on paper to support businesses, but with covid rates at the time - it didn’t really help considering the lack of testing, track and trace (which was a shambles too) etc. Furlough was definitely a good call but I suppose it was a necessity to keep the rates low!

Reactions: 4
Of course he has. There wasn’t a cat’s chance in hell he was going to pass up a huge opportunity to bolster his ego. Literally, the only benefit of Liz Truss being elected as Prime Minister, was that we didn’t have this smarmy little tit exercising his power all over us. I’ve never hated this party more. You’ve got people who helped oust Boris out of Downing Street now backing him for PM, and you’ve now got people endorsing the backstabber. Amidst this leadership contest, they’re showing their true agendas in that they’re only in politics for their own gain.

Also, now that Sunak has announced he’s entering the race, I don’t think Boris will. I don’t think he’d be prepared to suffer such a blow to his ego, seeing as Sunak is a genuine threat to Boris’s idea of running for a second term, considering he was the first of all three candidate to reach the ballot.
How was Rishi a back stabber? If your boss set some strict rules at work that they expected everyone to abide by but then didn’t themselves and then lied to you all about how he hadn’t broken the rules, but then got found to have broken the rules pretty badly would you be happy? You decide to stick by him thinking he deserves a second chance for him to then put a person into a high position that he knows has been sexually assaulting people, you would still stick by him? This is after he missed critically important meetings because he wanted to finish a book on Shakespeare and finalise a divorce.

After all that and more you quit and that makes you the back stabber? Give me a break.

Reactions: 19
Another thing that is on my mind, we have two definite candidates and potentially third with Boris. But why aren’t any of them saying WHAT they’ll be doing if they get the role of PM? I know it’s quick to think on your feet and make decisive decisions, but that’s literally what makes a good PM. Something Liz Truss and Boris didn’t have lol

They should be talking about policies, what they have in mind so we can put faith in them (not that I’m a Tory voter personally.) In my view, it should be treated like a general election where they put forward their suggestions. Penny was on the news this morning and wouldn’t talk about any of her policies or plans?! Rishi must have a good idea as he was in the running before and I presume some of that will stand stand. Is there a reason for this? Is it so they can U turn more freely? Again, perhaps I’m just being naive here.

This is the state of the country we’re talking about, not a popularity contest.

Reactions: 6
How was Rishi a back stabber? If your boss set some strict rules at work that they expected everyone to abide by but then didn’t themselves and then lied to you all about how he hadn’t broken the rules, but then got found to have broken the rules pretty badly would you be happy? You decide to stick by him thinking he deserves a second chance for him to then put a person into a high position that he knows has been sexually assaulting people, you would still stick by him? This is after he missed critically important meetings because he wanted to finish a book on Shakespeare and finalise a divorce.

After all that and more you quit and that makes you the back stabber? Give me a break.
You forgot the Owen Patterson debacle as well. If anything Rishi should have signed earlier.

Reactions: 1
I listened to all of the Gerry interview, that has to be a plant. I'm fairly new to LBC would they do something like that?

Thanks for the replies! I was just curious as all I’ve really seen is “he got us into this mess” without clarifying the WHY they think this. But this makes a lot of sense. I thought the Eat out to Help out scheme made sense on paper to support businesses, but with covid rates at the time - it didn’t really help considering the lack of testing, track and trace (which was a shambles too) etc. Furlough was definitely a good call but I suppose it was a necessity to keep the rates low!
Not to mention that instead of chasing people/businesses who fraudulently took out covid support loans, he wrote them off.

Billions has been fraudulently claimed and forgotten about. But let that be a working class person on benefits.... Anyway.

Reactions: 7
On bbc news just now it has been reported that Johnson asked Mordaunt to stand down
:oops:
I’ve just seen that! How ridiculous that he isn’t putting his hat in the ring (perhaps enjoying the attention/speculation?) but has the cheek to get someone to stand down 😂🤦‍♀️ only Boris, eh?

Reactions: 11
hes got a cheek hasn't he! but maybe the 'definitely got 100 backers' claims are inflated and they're scrambling so sunak doesn't reach over half and get the job automatically (if that's even how they're doing it)

Reactions: 7
On bbc news just now it has been reported that Johnson asked Mordaunt to stand down
:oops:
Well hopefully Penny told him to bleeping 'do one'. Boris hates Penny for the crime of being an intelligent confident woman. As a man he bleeping DISGUSTS me.

Reactions: 15
Well hopefully Penny told him to bleeping 'do one'. Boris hates Penny for the crime of being an intelligent confident woman. As a man he bleeping DISGUSTS me.
Seemingly she did

I would love to think that if Sunak wins the first thing he does is boot Rees-Mogg out.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Bless
You have a bit of romanticised idea of the French 😅
Bless ‘em, they don’t take any tit though. We are far too placid and forgiving of our elected representatives, although I would draw the line at decapitation (apart from Johnson, let’s have his head on a spike on London Bridge like the good old days!).

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I'm starting to worry a bit that it's too quiet, fully expected him to announce he's not running by now.

BJ might go full tonto 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.