UK Politics #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Rishi has declared, so perhaps his meeting with Boris came to nothing.

Listened to Penny this morning, she did not give me much confidence. More hand wafting, a la Truss 😲 worrying, no direction explained all we got from her is that she recognised, recognised, recognised, recognised!! Yes Penny, we all recognise everything you recognise but how to do envisage fixing it?

In the end I came to the conclusion is was more Truss, with slightly better delivery but no thoughts as to policy, bearing in mind what happened to the 44 day leader. Untried and untested, very risky.

Rishi seems the safe bet and a candidate that has previously stood at the despatch box with great confidence and had an answer to everything in his brief as Chancellor. Impressive performer.

Boris is a huge risk, very devisive.

That's it in a nutshell, Tories you have until Friday to save the country, or we will go into 2023 in the same situation.

Reactions: 4
If it goes to Tory party member vote I don't think Rishi will get in because I think there is a large number of racists who won't want a brown person leading the country.

The David Lammie video is funny as you can see a policeman in the background. That gave me a chuckle this morning.

Reactions: 7
Rishi seems the safe bet and a candidate that has previously stood at the despatch box with great confidence and had an answer to everything in his brief as Chancellor. Impressive performer.
At this point in our history we/you/they/whoever has to sing to the tune of the bankers. Rishi has proven economic credentials. Forget everything else. It's important to steady the markets. Head over heart. All that stuff. It would be madness to have Boris and I believe good common sense will out. Rishi untill the next election and let the chips fall as they will. Let's be honest, Rishi isn't going to be caught with his pants down is he. Personally I'd like to see Rishi as PM for a number of reasons, both social and economic. I'm not a fan per se but what choice is there?

Reactions: 12
I agree, a lot of people don't want a brown person in the top job. A lot of people are complaining that he is too rich, but there have been rich Labour MPs.

He is very intelligent, but a lot of what he said was common sense, he told us what would happen if we followed Lizzy's economic plan.

Her ventriloquists dummy, Kwasi, carried out her plan, and got thrown user the bus and now looks like an idiot.

Had Rishi got selected in the first place all this could have been avoided.

At least with the devalued pound UK is good for tourism.

Reactions: 5
Penny Mordaunt believes in 'Cabinet led politics', in other words, if it all goes wrong it is not my fault.

That's her insurance to not go down alone like Truss.

Read into her name Mordaunt = More-daunt(ing) 😬

I'll leave it there. 🥴

If I had the time I'd write 'Boris The Musical'. I haven't so I'll have to hand that idea over to someone else. Trust me, it'll come. Sorry, I have to laugh otherwise I'd ...

David. I. Speak. In. A. Very. Pompous. Way. Very. Slow. Ly. Lammy? Oh Bless ... he's a Christian you know (not sure why he's broadcasting on a Sunday, maybe Jesus told him to). Indulge me ... I have to post this because it makes me laugh.

There was a musical about, of all people, Roy Keane, here in Ireland. It was called I, Keano. Boris would be easy

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
It's tit to think he could get back in based on racism and xenophobia. But then we're in a complete mess because of those issues.

Reactions: 14
See, what's happened is the Tories have gone all Labour. First thing you learn if you have had the misfortune to study politics is that The Left always fracture. The strength of the Tory Party is/was that they stick together, that's their appeal.

Now they've gone all ideological. The UKIPer's and Pro-Brexit lot have hijacked The Party. A bit like how Momentum hijacked Labour. That's not what traditional Tories sign-up for. They sign-up for stablity. That's why they are fundamentally fucked. That's how I see it anyway.
Exactly this. Most Conservatives are centrists.

That caller to LBC was a classic example of how the party has been hijacked. That is not a party I could ever associate myself with.

Reactions: 6
That guy yesterday highlights just why they can't let a tiny part of society (full of little Englanders) vote for the next PM. They'll get what party MPs decide and no member vote.

BJs hopes were all over yesterday, he isn't getting it again.

Reactions: 6
There was a musical about, of all people, Roy Keane, here in Ireland. It was called I, Keano. Boris would be easy
I see it now, Roy after walking-out on the Irish world cup team in Korea, on a lonely windswept beach in Western Ireland with his faithful dog looking wistfully at the fast darkening sky as the waves crashed ...

Ok, ok I need to calm down. :LOL:

This country feels like Italy, only without the excellent food, wine and fashion 😆

He didn't really deliver brexit. The vaccine and Ukraine support were good but I'm sure would have been the same regardless of the leader.

I'd of thought Boris and Rishi would need to declare imminently
He broke the Brexit deadlock? Did he? I thought we still had one! Nadine love, he was on holiday with his wife. ( notvthat that means much to Boris) Stop fantasising

I see it now, Roy after walking-out on the Irish world cup team in Korea, on a lonely windswept beach in Western Ireland with his faithful dog looking wistfully are the fast darkening sky as the waves crashed ...

Ok, ok I need to calm down. :LOL:
No, he was stomping around Cheshire with Trigger (RIP).

It’s crap that we’re now having to pick someone somewhat trustworthy, to guide us through the cost of living crisis (which is obviously very important and pressing.) Because if and when that has settled, we’re then left with whoever it is and the rest of their policies that we might not agree with.

I’ve seen a lot of people online say that they wouldn’t back Rishi, a lot of racism involved (and telling him to get back to his own country) but the other half are saying that he got us into this mess. Perhaps I’m being naive or missed something, but may I ask how he specifically got us into financial difficulties? I’m just curious, because on paper someone with a background on finance would be best suited to get us through the CoL crisis. I appreciate it’s more nuanced than that though.

Last edited:
It’s crap that we’re now having to pick someone somewhat trustworthy, to guide us through the cost of living crisis (which is obviously very important and pressing.) Because if and when that has settled, we’re then left with whoever it is and the rest of their policies that we might not agree with.

I’ve seen a lot of people online say that they wouldn’t back Rishi, a lot of racism involved (and telling him to get back to his own country) but the other half are saying that he got us into this mess. Perhaps I’m being naive or missed something, but may I ask how he specifically got us into financial difficulties? I’m just curious, because on paper someone with a background on finance would be best suited to get us through the CoL crisis. I appreciate it’s more nuanced than that though.
It's worth remembering at this point that the cost of living crisis is not unique to the UK but what is relevant is how it is dealt with. I don't hold Rishi responsible for that and he did some good work with furlough.

The issues which led to the cost of living crisis aren't really his fault, and have a lot to do with Covid and Ukraine. The issue, presumably, is that they don't agree with how he dealt with those factors as Chancellor.

I personally didn't think some of the covid stuff went far enough, but in hindsight spending even more at the time might have made inflation worse now.

The main issue now is whether we get more Osborne style austerity, and whether that will actually help.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.