UK Literary Luvvies #2 Vital reading

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do the literary luvvies we discuss here have to be female?

If not can we talk about Stig Abell, for whom I have a strong antipathy, without even really understanding who he is or what he does. Insta showed me an ad the other day for an article he’d written about not having a single friend and I thought I can well believe that.

Does anyone get what he does and is anyone else as irked by him as me?
He certainly irks me. The way he's re-invented himself as this thoughtful bookish type, when a few years ago he was editor of The Sun signing off on Katie Hopkins' revolting columns.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I have to say the exact opposite lol. He wouldn’t have an iota of his very deserved success without the character he played in Normal People. He was just a regular theatre actor before that.
oh 💯 it made his career! But I think it was mutually advantageous. A less charming/sexy actor in the role and it wouldn’t have been nearly as popular. I’ve such a soft spot for him though. And love to see the Irish guys doing well 🥰

Reactions: 6
Sally Rooney was Booker longlisted for Normal People, long before the adaptation.

That definitely helped raise the profile of the book and elevate it above the myriad other books about relationships by young women.

I do wonder what will happen to Rooney’s writing when she ages out of the sad millennial bracket, given she’s essentially written the same novel three times at this point.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Not everyone LL can be like Sally Rooney and get away with having to do no promo / have no social media presence I guess!!
I know these things come down to a matter of pure opinion but I will argue until the end of time that Sally Rooney's writing is miles and miles above any LL. You might not like the subject matter of pale Irish girls not eating food for days on end and pining after Paul Mescal, but as exercises in pure form and voice they do show her to have a tremendous talent. Also, her last book didn't really do so well as I don't think enough people realised it was about class differences.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
I know these things come down to a matter of pure opinion but I will argue until the end of time that Sally Rooney's writing is miles and miles above any LL. You might not like the subject matter of pale Irish girls not eating food for days on end and pining after Paul Mescal, but as exercises in pure form and voice they do show her to have a tremendous talent. Also, her last book didn't really do so well as I don't think enough people realised it was about class differences.
Agreed, she’s definitely a brilliant writer in my opinion !

Reactions: 4
The reason why she’s so good is because she says so much about her character and the world whilst saying nothing. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Did anyone see Otegha interview Fran Leibovitz at The Palladium this eve? Fran was amazing of course and Ottegha wasn't bad.

I just feel like she never really comes across as being very likeable if that makes sense

Reactions: 2
Sure it’s been asked before but any podcast recommendations like the high low? Recently found Shameless which I really like.

Sure it’s been asked before but any podcast recommendations like the high low? Recently found Shameless which I really like.
I haven’t found a replacement for the high low yet. I do like sounds like a cult, cancelled, my therapist ghosted me. Not like the high low, but it’s something I suppose

The closest (and it’s not really that similar) I’ve found is Celebrity Memoir Bookclub podcast. Although American not British and focused on one topic/ celebrity each week. But does have other tangential discussion about things happening in current affairs and pop culture

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The closest (and it’s not really that similar) I’ve found is Celebrity Memoir Bookclub podcast. Although American not British and focused on one topic/ celebrity each week. But does have other tangential discussion about things happening in current affairs and pop culture
I'm mildly obsessed with CMBC 😜 I have a very parasocial relationship with Ashley and Clare! They put on their stories a while ago that they were going to do Everything I Know About Love and I was agog, but sadly it hasn't happened yet. It would be hilarious given how baffled they usually are by British and Irish slang and cultural references 🤣

Thanks for the recommendations, I will give them a go. I do listen to a lot of other podcasts (mostly true crime) but still looking for a good pop culture podcast (other an shameless)

I'm mildly obsessed with CMBC 😜 I have a very parasocial relationship with Ashley and Clare! They put on their stories a while ago that they were going to do Everything I Know About Love and I was agog, but sadly it hasn't happened yet. It would be hilarious given how baffled they usually are by British and Irish slang and cultural references 🤣
Hello fellow worm!

• Heart
I love CMBC although occasionally they'll do a few in a row where I haven't heard of the memoirist. Usually really enjoy their takes. It's quite similar to the High Low in the sense that Claire is horrible to Ashley at times in a way which is very reminiscent of Pandora towards Dolly 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I love CMBC although occasionally they'll do a few in a row where I haven't heard of the memoirist. Usually really enjoy their takes. It's quite similar to the High Low in the sense that Claire is horrible to Ashley at times in a way which is very reminiscent of Pandora towards Dolly 🤣
I always found that tension amusing. I think Pandora really resented that Dolly is funnier, more likeable and smarter than she is. For someone that tries to control everything, that was one thing she couldn't do a single thing about. Pandora might try to pretend she is smarter by publishing books of essays and coopting clever people to work with to make herself seem more clever, but it just doesn't work, and never will.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I always found that tension amusing. I think Pandora really resented that Dolly is funnier, more likeable and smarter than she is. For someone that tries to control everything, that was one thing she couldn't do a single thing about. Pandora might try to pretend she is smarter by publishing books of essays and coopting clever people to work with to make herself seem more clever, but it just doesn't work, and never will.
Yeah Pandora reminds me of bad friends who try to put people into inferior boxes and roles to them :)

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.