UK Literary Luvvies #2 Vital reading

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's gonna get a job opp regardless of the family connect?!!
---
If you honestly think that poor old Dolly is a wonderful, sensitive, self-aware being and such a talented writer, nothing like the influencers one observes on Instagram.... Are you lost?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
I’m not lost, I just think there are more annoying people on the internet than her. I like Dolly. It’s okay to have an opinion.

Reactions: 21
I do have a soft spot for Dolly, she is far more palatable than the smug Panda. But a lot of her image is curated beyond belief, for all of her self deprecation her image is filtered to duck and back, careful angles, hot sad girl selfies and playlists lest we forget how hip and in the know she is.

Without the filters and the self applied London writer glossiness she is just a horsey posh girl who has managed to carve out a career from connections and her proximity to the people who have family/generational wealth.

Reactions: 19
I’m not lost, I just think there are more annoying people on the internet than her. I like Dolly. It’s okay to have an opinion.
Agree I find her a bit annoying, try hard and cringe sometimes but she's definitely not as bad as some of the other LLs. I don't think it needs to be a you 100% hate this person to be able to have an opinion here 🤷‍♀️
---
I do have a soft spot for Dolly, she is far more palatable than the smug Panda. But a lot of her image is curated beyond belief, for all of her self deprecation her image is filtered to duck and back, careful angles, hot sad girl selfies and playlists lest we forget how hip and in the know she is.

Without the filters and the self applied London writer glossiness she is just a horsey posh girl who has managed to carve out a career from connections and her proximity to the people who have family/generational wealth.
Yesss agree! Worded much better than my tired brain could manage 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Yes, Dolly is probably my favourite LL. I don’t follow her anymore as I find the constant promotion annoying for all LLs. I think she can genuinely take the piss out of herself but that it comes across best on podcasts like sentimental garbage when her and Caroline both admitted to wanting to be that girl at a party who everyone talks about when they leave and how cringe that is.

I think she has been burned by friends before (sometimes publicly) who feel like they can criticise her because she takes the piss out of herself. Like when panda scoffed at the recipe part of her book on the high low etc

Reactions: 8
Yeah I think Dolly is cool generally but I agree with the LL constant need for promotion but I also understand that they have to do it to sell books and appease their publishers… I just wish their was another way!! Not everyone LL can be like Sally Rooney and get away with having to do no promo / have no social media presence I guess!!

Reactions: 11
Yeah I think Dolly is cool generally but I agree with the LL constant need for promotion but I also understand that they have to do it to sell books and appease their publishers… I just wish their was another way!! Not everyone LL can be like Sally Rooney and get away with having to do no promo / have no social media presence I guess!!
You’re right. Sally Rooney & Zadie Smith are like the LL’s dreamgirls too.

Reactions: 4
Yes, Dolly is probably my favourite LL. I don’t follow her anymore as I find the constant promotion annoying for all LLs. I think she can genuinely take the piss out of herself but that it comes across best on podcasts like sentimental garbage when her and Caroline both admitted to wanting to be that girl at a party who everyone talks about when they leave and how cringe that is.

I think she has been burned by friends before (sometimes publicly) who feel like they can criticise her because she takes the piss out of herself. Like when panda scoffed at the recipe part of her book on the high low etc
I like Dolly because she reminds me of a time that basically doesn't exist anymore. North London messy 00s, when young people could afford to rent flats. I just like the media hedonistic vibes lol maybe because my 20s were so different and I became a parent young.

Reactions: 11
That's an interesting point about Sally Rooney. It seems like publishing these days is very much about follower count/if you're in influencer circles factoring into if you get a deal. I wonder how Sally went about it, whether the marketing was strategic or just that the book got into the right hands and it organically took off. I personally think she's massively overrated but she does have all the LLs fangirling over her which I'm sure helped her sales a lot.

I know a lot of authors find success without relying on social media etc, but Sally Rooney is an interesting one in that she's a big part of the LL group without actually being in it if that makes sense?

Was her hype as intense before the Normal People tv series? I can't remember!

Reactions: 6
That's an interesting point about Sally Rooney. It seems like publishing these days is very much about follower count/if you're in influencer circles factoring into if you get a deal. I wonder how Sally went about it, whether the marketing was strategic or just that the book got into the right hands and it organically took off. I personally think she's massively overrated but she does have all the LLs fangirling over her which I'm sure helped her sales a lot.

I know a lot of authors find success without relying on social media etc, but Sally Rooney is an interesting one in that she's a big part of the LL group without actually being in it if that makes sense?

Was her hype as intense before the Normal People tv series? I can't remember!
I honestly think Paul mescal was the biggest boost to sally Rooney’s career!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Defo but how did she even get the show adapted for TV in the first place, I don’t even think she toured/promoted the book IRL?!

And I wonder the same @slugella ! how she got the deal, I really enjoyed conversations with friends the book but didn’t like the show much, and only got a quarter through beautiful world, where are you! But yes she’s definitely an LL favourite but not in that world

Reactions: 4
The book definitely got into the right hands. It was easy for her. Someone (an agent I assume) saw an essay she’s published and asked if she had written any fiction. She had a manuscript and it just went from there.

Her early press was so interesting to observe. It created such a cult and the TV adaptations have only fuelled that fire. She’s very fortunate to reap all the benefits without really having to play the game that every other author her age has to.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I think she doesn’t get the same flak for being privileged as she’s Irish :) Which is kind of unfair, as as far as I know in Ireland she gets the same privilege eye rolls as the others, we just don’t understand all the nuances! :)
---
I think Sally does speak to millennials more as her work is more subtle. Not everyone likes shagging randoms and wine and over the top messy parties which are themes explored by say Dolly and Daisy Buchanan, but most have felt lonely, felt out of place, felt dispossessed- she has whole chapters of characters sitting around with just their FEELINGS and ambitions and a cup of tea. Sometimes I find her work boring, but it’s often done more beautifully and subtly than the rest

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
The book definitely got into the right hands. It was easy for her. Someone (an agent I assume) saw an essay she’s published and asked if she had written any fiction. She had a manuscript and it just went from there.

Her early press was so interesting to observe. It created such a cult and the TV adaptations have only fuelled that fire. She’s very fortunate to reap all the benefits without really having to play the game that every other author her age has to.
It was the essay about being one of the top debaters at university- it ends with “even if you beat me, I’m still the best.” If you google it, it brings up her whole publishing story. I think she’s v different to all these other LLs in the thread because her work is the most important thing. Dolly & co are out at parties, appearing on podcasts, being general rich nuisances all over social media. Rooney writes in private and lives in private. She’s the Irish Zadie Smith to me, a once in a generation talent and fair play to her too.
---
I have to say the exact opposite lol. He wouldn’t have an iota of his very deserved success without the character he played in Normal People. He was just a regular theatre actor before that.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.