UK Literary Luvvies #2 Vital reading

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Continued from thread 1

@soph30 I took your suggestion for the title.

A place to discuss UK writers / journalists - if you see an author name pop up on the back of book declaring something 'vital reading' more than once, we probably discuss them here.

E.g:
Dolly Alderton
Pandora Sykes
Elizabeth Day
Bella Mackey

Etc etc

Reactions: 6
Major Marian Keyes luvvie gush incoming too no doubt. ‘I ADORED every WORD’ 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Can the genre of 'OMG GAL PALZ' be left alone for a bit? Who buys these books?
Am I just flaunting my making friends easily as an adult privilege?
---
Can the genre of 'OMG GAL PALZ' be left alone for a bit? Who buys these books?
Am I just flaunting my making friends easily as an adult privilege?
Idk if you can see this but it's another book about female friendships with blurbs from the usual gushing luvvie lot.
This time written by YA novelist and twitter dullard Holly Bourne.

Attachments

Reactions: 4
WHERE IS BRYONY GORDON what is she plotting 😂 haven’t seen her on the circuit for ages
---
Ugh another one to miss :) who’s Lauren Bravo? Czaroline and Daisy Buchanan recommend 🤒
They could at least switch up the Dolly Alderton font on the cover!

I don't think the TV adaptation of Everything I know About Love was that popular as it expires in only a month on BBC iPlayer having been out for less than a year- it came out in June :) popular programmes are on for much longer

For me it just felt too teen and teens/early twenties don't remember 2012 and the scene. Those of us who remember it don't want to watch programmes about 20 year olds, we want to watch ones about jaded 30 year olds with actual jobs and life experiences :)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Elizabeth Day being interviewed by Phoebe Waller Bridge was a bit of a fail if you ask me - they look and sound exactly the same!

• Haha
The New statesman review has made my week. It’s the navel gazing of reviews for the LL set’s latest books - it’s either nescience at best or down right disingenuous. (That’s of the ones I can bring myself to read)

Reactions: 2
ED is being interviewed on Nihal Five Live now. Staggering how someone can talk so much 💩 and be so self absorbed. Her drivel is making me want to stamp on the radio.

I really like Nihal as a radio interviewer- he’s great. I think he’d be brilliant on Desert Island Discs. The HTF podcast he did with Elizabeth was pretty nauseating (from her as you would expect - it was very saccharine).
I used to love the HTF podcast, she had some really interesting guests on - Chris Patten and a Guardian columnist (can’t remember his name right now) really stood out for me. I guess when something becomes a commercial success it can go off the boil quickly. I think that’s why Adam Buxton has always done it for me - he doesn’t seem to do the same old interviewees / press junket types.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
As mentioned on the last thread Katherine Omerod's lack of disclosure of freebies is the worst, just unfollowed her. Literally every day there is most free items with a *prproduct on the end of the post. What does that even mean?

Also - making herself out to be the queen of renting when she already owns a London property is a cheek!

Reactions: 4
I mean, feel free to report her - the ASA has just tightened up its guidelines and I'm sure she'll be aware of that.

Reactions: 1
IMG_0371.jpeg

Can she just chill out? It’s a book launch, hardly the Oscars.

She gets on about other women being smug online and she’s one of the worst offenders.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Has anyone here read Everything I Know About Love? I'm looking for an easy read, but judging by the blurb it sounds as though it's just a series of anecdotes about kebabs and one night stands? Nothing wrong with either of those things btw! 😅 Just not convinced it'll make for exciting reading.

I spotted another Marian Keyes book cover appearance the other day, but have already forgotten which book she was praising. There have been so many. I feel like I'm being followed.

Has anyone here read Everything I Know About Love? I'm looking for an easy read, but judging by the blurb it sounds as though it's just a series of anecdotes about kebabs and one night stands? Nothing wrong with either of those things btw! 😅 Just not convinced it'll make for exciting reading.

I spotted another Marian Keyes book cover appearance the other day, but have already forgotten which book she was praising. There have been so many. I feel like I'm being followed.
It covers the millennial female experience well but it's quite self indulgent and quite a bit of casual sex and cocaine :) so if you find that tedious than skip it
---
Scrap that don't read any book by any personality mentioned here, literally a croissant packet would be better. There saved you some time :) There's a reading chat thread for decent books

Reactions: 9
It covers the millennial female experience well but it's quite self indulgent and quite a bit of casual sex and cocaine :) so if you find that tedious than skip it
---
Scrap that don't read any book by any personality mentioned here, literally a croissant packet would be better. There saved you some time :) There's a reading chat thread for decent books
Haha thanks for replying. I might get that croissant packet. If the reading material's boring then at least I'll have croissants. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.