UK Literary Luvvies #2 Vital reading

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else think Elizabeth Day's mate Emma Reed Turrell (from the best friend therapy podcast) is an absolute humourless bore? I actually find her worse than Elizabeth who at least can laugh at herself. On the episode about birthdays Emma says she didn't like people doing a celebration for her because she didn't 'give consent' and she 'rejects convention'. Like omg just be grateful and suck it up like the rest of us. Takes herself ultra seriously, I'd hate to have her as my therapist.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Jay Shetty on How To Fail with the usual brown nosing from Elizabeth. Always so suspicious of these "gurus" who seem to come out of nowhere. It's all the same nauseating therapy-speak.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Urgh…. Most ‘life coaches’ are fraudesters - the ones I know are the worst people, cashing in on being overly confident and little else. It’s just capitalism on positive messaging based on aggressive confidence and perceived likeablity - it ‘I’m your best friend’ when they are not they want your money. (Like most Instagrammers .. the platform supports it) 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 7
Caroline O'Donoghue is so smug. Her podcast is a great premise but actually listening to it is just insufferable for some reason.

Also idk what it is but she looks older than she actually is? She's only 30 or so but maybe its her colouring.

Reactions: 7
Caroline O'Donoghue is so smug. Her podcast is a great premise but actually listening to it is just insufferable for some reason.

Also idk what it is but she looks older than she actually is? She's only 30 or so but maybe its her colouring.
She is smug. She has said she’s too interesting to get married/ have a baby and she’s engaged now. She’ll turn into a mommy blogger eventually.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
She is very ‘cool girl’, all my best mates are boys, just can’t stand all the DRAMA, when I get married I just want it to be a big festival etc. almost ruined her sentimental in the city podcast with the cackle and affected snorts but I also think she’s perceptive and funny sometimes and isn’t afraid to throw herself under the bus and if I was in uni with her I’d probably have been mates with her u til she stole my boyfriend.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
She is smug. She has said she’s too interesting to get married/ have a baby and she’s engaged now. She’ll turn into a mommy blogger eventually.
her and Ella just rub me up the wrong way. More so than people like Dolly and Panda who are bone fide It girls with celebrity status.

Both clever but so self important and luvvie-ish

maybe because I’m Australian not British, but I found them both so conceited for two writers who have written a handful of moderately successful books (Ella’s books are definitely successful I don’t think Caroline’s are, or at least they aren’t here)

Reactions: 2
She is very ‘cool girl’, all my best mates are boys, just can’t stand all the DRAMA, when I get married I just want it to be a big festival etc. almost ruined her sentimental in the city podcast with the cackle and affected snorts but I also think she’s perceptive and funny sometimes and isn’t afraid to throw herself under the bus and if I was in uni with her I’d probably have been mates with her u til she stole my boyfriend.
I remember when she was at The Pool there seemed to be a lot of “it’s so HARD having these perfect big tits” articles

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Omg lol! I literally posted my comment about her because I saw yet another story she’d posted about how fantastic her tits are!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Awwww I like Caroline! Her podcast makes me laugh. The above assessments seem to have some truth in them though because I am absolutely confident that she's another LL who would talk about me behind my back (or yes @Love_hate_small_town steal my boyfriend...which another literary figure did actually do, albeit not one in these circles :cautious:)

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Haha! Can’t share anything too identifying of course but she is an author of commercial fiction. One of her books has been adapted for TV already and feels to me like it’s always Staff Pick in Waterstones. So happy for her 🙃
If it was Jane Fallon and the boyfriend was Ricky Gervais then you had a lucky escape! 😂

Seriously though, that's a crappy thing to do. I had a friend do something similar then wondered why the friendship declined (eventually ghosted her) 🙃

ETA: I think I might have guessed who it is but any clues I pop down are too obvious.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Dolly?
Haha! Can’t share anything too identifying of course but she is an author of commercial fiction. One of her books has been adapted for TV already and feels to me like it’s always Staff Pick in Waterstones. So happy for her 🙃

Reactions: 3
God I am so intrigued.

I went to uni with a current YA author who was a bit of a frenemy. Very privileged background (naturally) and I was enviously following her career post uni anyway when I read an interview where she said there is a special place in hell for people who do not return books. It took every ounce of self restraint to stop myself commenting that she still has a book she borrowed off me in uni. A book i v reluctantly lent her after she promised she’d give it back (it was pre Amazon and hard to get hold of). I’m over it obviously dont think about it every single time I see her.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.