UK Literary Luvvies #2 Vital reading

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Granta know objectively good writing. The authors they have chosen, at least this year, aren’t in the LL jerk circle - Stephen King provides a cover endorsement for Eleanor Catton’s latest book. No Marian Keyes to be seen!
They pick them every 10 years. They used to have to be British but this time they have included non British writers that are resident in the UK. All of the articles that I have read lament how Sally Rooney can't be included. She is Irish and lives in Ireland. Also a lot of talk about how this is the decade that has mainly white and female writers. They started the list in 1983 and in the previous decades, there were more non-white writers and more men.

Reactions: 5
Stig Abell is a scumbag. Was the editor of The Sun when Katie Hopkins was writing her rancid column. Now reborn as rational media mouthpiece 🤢

• Sick
Reactions: 10
Elizabeth won't post photos of her mansion on social media out of sensitivity, but here she is on the cover of Harpers Bazaar showing off her house. What a disingenuous sellout.

---
The enormous Magpie marketing posters on the wall 😭

221206-ed-hb-657-highres-642d96a381e7d.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Elizabeth won't post photos of her mansion on social media out of sensitivity, but here she is on the cover of Harpers Bazaar showing off her house. What a disingenuous sellout.

---
The enormous Magpie marketing posters on the wall 😭

View attachment 2107053
This is exactly what I thought. The article is smug beyond belief and tone deaf in the current cost of living era. All she's doing is showing off her house, after saying we shouldn't show off on social media !!! Also there is nothing even particularly special or interesting about her interior design, lol.

Also the pose, and her right hand, is cringe.

Reactions: 21
How hasn't any of these so-called friends told her to stop looking so bleeping smug?!?

Reactions: 9
I find this hilarious.
‘Shush everyone, shush, about your lives and your kids good or bad, it’s not fair for me. It is hard for me!’

but here look at my home via Harpers Bazaar , oh this art we commissioned. 🙊

wont be reading the article - I have heard and read enough from ED to know it won’t work out well for either of us. I can’t stomach a pinky ring Tory (or what ever they are currently masking under to seem like the people to sell their books).

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I find it so baffling. Do you think she’s aware of how hypocritical and smug she has become? Has anyone told her?!

Reactions: 8
It's weird that someone who claims to be so be emotionally smart is so lacking in self-awareness...

Reactions: 10
Not a fan of stark white. It looks good initially but it’s cold and draining. Didn’t realise how much of white makes a difference u til I moved from a stark white house to a good old beige affair.

Reactions: 6
Who is seriously going to Dolly for advice on marital and baby advice?! The woman hasn’t even had a proper long term relationship?!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Who is seriously going to Dolly for advice on marital and baby advice?! The woman hasn’t even had a proper long term relationship?!
How is Dolly in a position to give advice on navigating sex post-partum?!

Reactions: 3
To be fair I think she’s had a few and I think is in one now, don’t think we see everything. She’s quite men and drama obsessed and I’m so cool and boho and if I don’t get enough attention I’ll go into an existential crisis of maudlin depression though, not sure I’d want her marital advice where you need a bit of give and take and have to push through for the kids etc- she’s been quite sheltered with things all about her
---
How is Dolly in a position to give advice on navigating sex post-partum?!
I know, that’s what’s kinda weird about her being a lifestyle guru for the Times which is quite conservative mum land- she’d be better at like the Guardian discussing edgier topics.
I do think she gives some good advice sometimes though
---
Where is this article btw? The Times? Can’t find :)

ugh America PR push :) She won’t do well in America, she’s fab but she’s too Sloaney and dreamy and droney, too British

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Do the literary luvvies we discuss here have to be female?

If not can we talk about Stig Abell, for whom I have a strong antipathy, without even really understanding who he is or what he does. Insta showed me an ad the other day for an article he’d written about not having a single friend and I thought I can well believe that.

Does anyone get what he does and is anyone else as irked by him as me?
I'm sad to read this because I enjoyed the TLS podcast a few years back when he and Thea Lenarduzzi were cohosts, I liked their humorous coworker-bantering. Also, they once asked listeners to send in their literary-named pets and they read my email about my corgi practically verbatim and it was a little bit thrilling. (The corg's former owners named him Chance after Jerzy Kozinski novel/Peter Sellers film Being There).
I shall go and find that article Abell wrote, thank you.
---
Re the Elizabeth Day interiors feature: I am minorly enraged that she wants anyone to believe that actual working writers sit comfortably for longer than 20 minutes on those ridiculous desk chairs.
She is insufferable. We all know women like that, just ME ME ME, "Look how successful I am, all by my little cutesy self, except for my monster-famous novelist cousin who made some calls and got me my first big newspaper job, tee hee. But I am SO HARDWORKING, I worked really hard after that and also did some seriously strategic dating and TA-DA, now I am so preciously elite that I have painted all my floors white."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.