UK General Election 2024 #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hilarious that Reform voters would definitely call me a rabid lefty when actually my politics are only just very slightly left of centre. The actual rabid lefties would call me Tory lite. Just goes to show the thinking power of those at either extreme of the political spectrum, or lack thereof.
And again you assume anyone with what you consider extreme views are thick.

Centrist views are based on compromise and generally please no-one. Middle ground is staid and represents a lack of innovation.

Extreme views at least provide new ideas, even if you don’t like them.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
What do people think of the idea that the goal is for farage to be elected as an mp then he will join the tories to become their leader?
I think this is there long term aim. Reform doesn’t have the infrastructure or knowledge to maintain a long term political party. They need agents to organise the local offices, write speeches, organise letter drops etc. I’ve been volunteering in my local labour office and it is a massive job to be successful at electioneering. They need volunteers who will go out canvassing etc not just sit on twitter amping up farage’s ego. If they are successful reform would have access to the conservative sponsors (if they don’t leave in protest) and siphon the money off into their own bank accounts. They need a political structure which reform don’t have and takes £££ and time to build so it would be quicker and easier to take over another party. The only question is would the conservatives let this happen? I don’t mean just the parliamentarians but also the grassroots who do all the volunteer and grunt work? Could totally destroy them. The nasty party rhetoric failed. Normally the Conservative party is great at pulling together in times of crisis for the party but since BJ it seems to have gone into terminal decline.

• Heart
I need to research to check but I don't think any of Reform UK Ltd's candidates have any form of experience in frontline public services - I can't see any of the ones I know about wanting to do the work that being a constituency MP entails.
Applies to most career MPs to be honest. Bunch of bean counters shuffled between roles regardless of relevant experience. Plenty of lazy bastards across all parties.

Reactions: 6
And again you assume anyone with what you consider extreme views are thick.

Centrist views are based on compromise and generally please no-one. Middle ground is staid and represents a lack of innovation.

Extreme views at least provide new ideas, even if you don’t like them.
What new ideas are Reform providing?

Reactions: 5
Stopping immigration is hardly a ‘new idea’. Limiting immigration has actually been tried before but it gets reinstated quickly as businesses can’t/wont fill roles domestically and no-one wants the problems that arise in the short to medium term i.e. no care workers, food left to rot etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Yes, though I’m not sure you are talking about the 2019 Tory manifesto or rishi’s 5 promises thing which are different? You are answering your own question really. Reforms ‘contract’ isn’t realistic to start with. What would happen when it encounters real world events?
Ok maybe I shouldn’t have said the others are as ‘back of a fag packet’ as Reform, the point I was trying to make (badly) was that theirs might be more realistic due to more scrutiny, but that still doesn’t mean they are in anyway more achievable by those parties because as we’ve seen with other manifestos/promises over the years they all talk the talk, get into power and then don’t walk the walk.

Reform have plenty of cash, all shlepping into Farages back pocket ..the whole thing is a money making grift. Party won’t last much past the next Election, they are built around an individual, it will dissolve into a melee of blame and recrimination, whilst he’s sunning himself somewhere.

Reactions: 11
The last set of company accounts for Reform UK Ltd show them running at a loss. Yet Nigel Farage's business Thorn in the Side Ltd is making a profit - funnily enough that "business" is exempt from audit so who knows where the money is coming from but from.....

From my understanding most of Reform's money has come from Richard Tice's own pocket - Farage is taking him for a mug imo. Tice has bankrolled them since their inception but Farage holds all the power. He could choose to remove Tice tomorrow should he wish to. Farage really is the King of the Grift.

Happy reading https://find-and-update.company-inf...cers/tW56blTqOI_bXYCDkDghRy3LQtU/appointments

Reactions: 8
Ok maybe I shouldn’t have said the others are as ‘back of a fag packet’ as Reform, the point I was trying to make (badly) was that theirs might be more realistic due to more scrutiny, but that still doesn’t mean they are in anyway more achievable by those parties because as we’ve seen with other manifestos/promises over the years they all talk the talk, get into power and then don’t walk the walk.
The pledge to hold a referendum on our membership of the EU was in the 2015 Tory manifesto and to the country's detriment they kept to it.

Reactions: 1
The last set of company accounts for Reform UK Ltd show them running at a loss. Yet Nigel Farage's business Thorn in the Side Ltd is making a profit - funnily enough that "business" is exempt from audit so who knows where the money is coming from but from.....

From my understanding most of Reform's money has come from Richard Tice's own pocket - Farage is taking him for a mug imo. Tice has bankrolled them since their inception but Farage holds all the power. He could choose to remove Tice tomorrow should he wish to. Farage really is the King of the Grift.

Happy reading https://find-and-update.company-inf...cers/tW56blTqOI_bXYCDkDghRy3LQtU/appointments
A lot has come in since Farage said he was standing .. I saw figures of around £1m .. they won’t be showing in accounts yet, be interesting to see the accounts next year. I’m guessing a big old Dividend for the King of the Grift

Reactions: 1
The pledge to hold a referendum on our membership of the EU was in the 2015 Tory manifesto and to the country's detriment they kept to it.
This is probably why Cameron defied the odds and exit polls and won a majority. Because people wanted a referendum…. And they wanted out.

Reactions: 4
Jacob Rees Mogg was on our local news last night he got a bit tense with the host. There were two other politicians being interviewed with him and they were talking about teaching. The host asked JRM if he ever went to state school or his children did and JRM said no he was always privately educated and didn’t answer about his children. The host asked again about his children and JRM firmly told the host that his children were ‘none of your business’. Was all a bit awkward.
I understand the need to protect family, especially minors, but the question was relevant. However I think the host slipped up because he didn’t ask the other candidates and instead went to JRM. We all know JRM went to a private school but would have been interesting to see what the others say about the children.

It's not a secret about his kids schooling when he publishes details in the press. 🙄. This was back in 2020 just after Covid.

Reactions: 2
I know this isn’t election related but I think we could all do with a bit of cheering up, so here’s a laugh to start your Tuesday.
The delightful Tommy Robinson has been arrested in Canada. Reportedly for lying about his criminal record. So he’s an illegal immigrant. Oh the irony.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
It's the foreigners' or the EU's fault we don't have it or summat.
And don't forget "remoaners" who want to disrupt brexit.

It can't possibly be that we voted for something that was economically damaging and difficult to implement even though economists warned us about it. It is other people's fault. Don't patronise us and tell us we didn't know what we were voting for.

Etc.

Proof that any policies Furridge campaigns for are fundamentally unworkable and a bit pants.

• Haha