UK General Election 2024 #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Online voting would be great but the issue will be that it will be difficult to keep a vote anonymous, as they will have to link your poll card to a government gateway or local government portal. I would not trust government IT with something like that.

Reactions: 3
Online voting would be great but the issue will be that it will be difficult to keep a vote anonymous, as they will have to link your poll card to a government gateway or local government portal. I would not trust government IT with something like that.
Except that even in this day and age, plenty of people either don’t have access to the internet or don’t know how to use it, which could potentially be as disenfranchising as voter ID.
And I completely agree that anonymity and trusting government IT ( and the opportunity for profiteering) would be a huge issue.

This is interesting.

Reactions: 2
Except that even in this day and age, plenty of people either don’t have access to the internet or don’t know how to use it, which could potentially be as disenfranchising as voter ID.
And I completely agree that anonymity and trusting government IT ( and the opportunity for profiteering) would be a huge issue.
We trust them with our postal vote and in-person vote even though both can be traced to the exact individual through the numbers on the back of the paper, as a last resort for irregularity audit purposes?

As for people without internet access, I don't suggest online voting as the only way to vote, just as another method for those that want it, and to relieve pressure on the postal vote system, which every man and his dog seems to be trying to use this year? I would still have in-person polling places and postal votes for those that want them.

We trust them with our postal vote and in-person vote even though both can be traced to the exact individual through the numbers on the back of the paper, as a last resort for irregularity audit purposes?
Well yes. But China can’t hack postal or in person votes. 😉

Reactions: 5
Online voting would be batshit insane and impossible to police.

Reactions: 10
Has anyone heard anything from their local candidates?

I've seen like maybe one "vote for x" board. Granted, in a Tory safe seat so could just be that but I feel like there was a lot more local campaigning a few years back

Reactions: 2

I've seen like maybe one "vote for x" board. Granted, in a Tory safe seat so could just be that but I feel like there was a lot more local campaigning a few years back
Tory safe seat here too, every candidate has put something through the letterbox minus the Greens. Reform was their usual standard leaflet of lies, Tory candidate aka our long term MP has produced things with his face on with again false promises (he's abysmal as a MP), Lib dems and Labour candidates live in the area unlike the Tory so their leaflets feel more personal to the area. Mildly hoping for Lib Dem swing

Last edited:

Leaflets from Corbyn, Labour and rather oddly Reform.
The only canvasser I’ve spoken to was one of Corbyn’s. The Labour candidate appears to be MIA - he won’t do any hustings with the other candidates and is apparently refusing to speak to the local paper.

Reactions: 1

I’ve not had a single leaflet from anyone 😂 it’s a safe labour seat but I’m surprised to not hear anything from anyone. Neighbours have said the same.

Farage refusing to go on the BBC, great news, hope he keeps it up after the election, and he’s got a beef with Channel 4, let’s hope he boycotts them as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I agree, also can you imagine the potential for hacking?

I agree, also can you imagine the potential for hacking?
Also it would just not be exciting at all would it - at 10pm on the 4 July we would have the results instantaneously.

It's the magic of a general election that results are coming in at 3am and you're getting regular updates on TV from a sleep deprived reporter at a count in a leisure centre.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
They were talking about this on a podcast and it has been looked into a number of times apparently but yeh hacking and the fact that people wouldn’t trust the results as much were reasons for it not happening.

And could you imagine if all the Tories all lost their seats in one go on Thursday night at ten - much more fun spread out 🙈🙈 anyone else planning to stay up all night? I’m quite scared the polls are wrong

Reactions: 5
They were talking about this on a podcast and it has been looked into a number of times apparently but yeh hacking and the fact that people wouldn’t trust the results as much were reasons for it not happening.

And could you imagine if all the Tories all lost their seats in one go on Thursday night at ten - much more fun spread out 🙈🙈 anyone else planning to stay up all night? I’m quite scared the polls are wrong
I booked Friday off and am planning on what snacks I will have throughout the night 🙈

Reactions: 4
I booked Friday off and am planning on what snacks I will have throughout the night 🙈
My 9 year old wants to stay up with me! I'm 8 months pregnant so not sure I'll last the whole night myself. And I have gestational diabetes so my snack selection will also be crap 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Also it would just not be exciting at all would it - at 10pm on the 4 July we would have the results instantaneously.

It's the magic of a general election that results are coming in at 3am and you're getting regular updates on TV from a sleep deprived reporter at a count in a leisure centre.
I was listening to the News Agents podcast earlier and they said the same thing 🤣 Part of the fun is attempting (and failing) to stay up all night to see whos lost their seat.

I will be staying up. I too have planned what snacks to have during the night 🤣 I do have to work on Friday so that will be fun lol 🤣

• Heart
Same!!! My husbands off - they’ve just opened a maccy d near us and I will be there after school drop off on Friday I think 😂😂
Haha celebratory maccies?
---
My 9 year old wants to stay up with me! I'm 8 months pregnant so not sure I'll last the whole night myself. And I have gestational diabetes so my snack selection will also be crap 😅
Boo - you can't even have a Red Bull or something to keep you up! Maybe you could go to bed early and get up really early the next day as the exciting results are coming through?
---
I was listening to the News Agents podcast earlier and they said the same thing 🤣 Part of the fun is attempting (and failing) to stay up all night to see whos lost their seat.

I will be staying up. I too have planned what snacks to have during the night 🤣 I do have to work on Friday so that will be fun lol 🤣
It really is - and hearing all the reports from the counts where the result is close! My fave bit is as the polls close and they have the predicted result dramatically come up on screen.

I hope you are working from home on Friday!