UK General Election 2024 #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I fully expect them to end the limit of two kids for child benefit. Benefit breeders will be quids in. Don’t give me that tit about child poverty, no one has the human right for their child to be subsidised by everyone else as you decide to have loads of them. And then neglect them, leaving schools and social services to pick up the mess.

And we’re not short of people in this country either so duck off with the ‘who will pay your pension’ bollocks.
Do you realise how low the birth rate is in this country?

Reactions: 7
That the average EU migrant is more of a net benefit to the UK than the average Brit is known and is why the government acted quickly to allow them to stay as part of Brexit. Not sure that’s the Brexit people voted for though

Reactions: 5
Whoever mentioned Polish shops above reminded me very strongly of my late Granddad (hard-core brexiter) who I can remember complaining about the number of "polski sleps" in his hometown and that they had "branches" everywhere. He had no idea it just means Polish Shop - I think he thought it was a branded supermarket name like Asda 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Unless they're not working legally or cash in hand surely they'd still be paying income tax through PAYE.

The people who I know who have come here from other parts of Europe work regular jobs and pay income tax.
Yes all absolutely legal, the farms round here are all megafarms producing the bulk of the UK fruit and veg that's in your supermarket.

Sure they pay income tax and NI, I'm just saying they're not buying cars, furniture, handbags, eating out to help out, or other economy-boosting luxuries. All spare cash goes back to their home countries.
---
Not at all xenophobic with your wide sweeping judgements. Do all English people only spend their money on real ale down at the kings head and cheap trips to benadorm?
Feck knows where you're coming up with that nonsense :ROFLMAO:

Really hoping that daft man who asked in the debate if they were the best we had to offer watched the American one last night to see things could be a LOT worse :oops: (I can't find a thread on the US election ...wonder if we need one)
That man came across as a total bellend and yet he's being lauded on Twitter as some kind of straight talking hero of the people.

• Sick
I'm just saying they're not buying cars, furniture, handbags, eating out to help out, or other economy-boosting luxuries. All spare cash goes back to their home countries.
It is because they can't afford to like millions of British people. Most foreigners I work with don't have enough money for necessities let alone be able to send money back home.

The farm workers you refer to are usually seasonal aren't they? (There were 47,000 seasonal worker visas issued last year) They go home once the job's done so of course they'll be sending it home - they aren't permanent residents, they aren't allowed to take on any other work nor are they allowed to settle here.

Perhaps more British people should take on that work? Perhaps Farage can get all of the unemployed in Clacton to do it instead? It won't happen as British people often don't want to do this type of work, if they did, then we wouldn't need seasonal workers from abroad.

Most EU and Non EU settlers here either work PAYE jobs or are self employed and pay Tax and NI. They are permament residents here so they spend their money here pretty much the same as British people do.

Reactions: 10
It is because they can't afford to like millions of British people. Most foreigners I work with don't have enough money for necessities let alone be able to send money back home.

The farm workers you refer to are usually seasonal aren't they? (There were 47,000 seasonal worker visas issued last year) They go home once the job's done so of course they'll be sending it home - they aren't permanent residents, they aren't allowed to take on any other work nor are they allowed to settle here.

Perhaps more British people should take on that work? Perhaps Farage can get all of the unemployed in Clacton to do it instead? It won't happen as British people often don't want to do this type of work, if they did, then we wouldn't need seasonal workers from abroad.
They've tried lots of times, locals won't do the "on the ground" farm work, it's hard work, it's not all bouncing around in space age tractors like Clarkson's Farm. Loads of products like celery are hand-harvested.

Most EU and Non EU settlers here either work PAYE jobs or are self employed and pay Tax and NI. They are permament residents here so they spend their money here pretty much the same as British people do.
I worked at a supermarket during Covid doing the home deliveries and there were plenty of non-UK folks lapping up the extra shifts to earn extra money to send home. If I want a builder or handyman or window cleaner etc, they're invariably from Europe, and they're earning money here to go back home eventually to build a house there. Of course there are lots that are here permanently and boosting the economy nicely, I'm just saying not all of them are.

Reactions: 2
They've tried lots of times, locals won't do the "on the ground" farm work, it's hard work, it's not all bouncing around in space age tractors like Clarkson's Farm. Loads of products like celery are hand-harvested.
This is part of the problem isn't it? I'm sure if big Mitch from Clacton who voted for Reform UK has his benefits stopped because he turned down two offers of work on a farm he would be the first to whinge. People can't blame immigrants if they themselves aren't willing to do the jobs that the immigrants are happy to do.

I worked at a supermarket during Covid doing the home deliveries and there were plenty of non-UK folks lapping up the extra shifts to earn extra money to send home. If I want a builder or handyman or window cleaner etc, they're invariably from Europe, and they're earning money here to go back home eventually to build a house there. Of course there are lots that are here permanently and boosting the economy nicely, I'm just saying not all of them are.
They'll still be paying Tax and NI in most cases. Some foreign workers probably do send money home but I imagine there are Brits working abroad that do the same.

The economically inactive contribute less to the economy compared to foreign workers who pay taxes here.

Reactions: 8
I think the bringing photo ID to vote is going to catch a lot of young people out this election. Someone on my Facebook just reposted a reminder about it and so many of the comments are saying things along the lines of “since when?!” “But I’m registered to vote so I’ll be fine won’t I?” “I don’t have a passport/driving licence”

• Sad
The current Tory mp in Clacton is an actor (from Bread) so that doesn’t mean anything. Many actors have other jobs and can even volunteer for political parties if they want to

I think the bringing photo ID to vote is going to catch a lot of young people out this election. Someone on my Facebook just reposted a reminder about it and so many of the comments are saying things along the lines of “since when?!” “But I’m registered to vote so I’ll be fine won’t I?” “I don’t have a passport/driving licence”
I work in local government comms and our main focus for public messaging for this election has been to remind people they need ID to vote. It's definitely going to catch a lot of people out.

Really hoping that daft man who asked in the debate if they were the best we had to offer watched the American one last night to see things could be a LOT worse :oops: (I can't find a thread on the US election ...wonder if we need one)
Thread is in here

• Heart
And yet they'll somehow manage to find ID to buy eveything from cans of Monster to Smirnoff that they need it for these days!

I work in local government comms and our main focus for public messaging for this election has been to remind people they need ID to vote. It's definitely going to catch a lot of people out.
My local council has really hammered home the message about voter ID. It is all over the front of my polling card. Passports/Driving licences that have expired are still ok so long as the person's photo is still a true likeness.

ETA. My local council is also allowing people to apply to vote by proxy if they don't have photo ID providing they can apply before 5pm on Election day.

Do they issue the Proof of Age card as standard nowdays? I know mine was given to me automatically via my school when I was in year 11.

Reactions: 1
The daily mail website is running HUGE reform ads - one that you cannot miss! FFS, I think I will be getting my car crash gossip somewhere else now; I can't deal with that.

Mmmm, totally missing that many immigrants send every spare penny from what they've earned to family back home. What they do spend on food invaribly goes to the budget supermarkets or Polish/Ukrainian grocery stores so also sent out of the country. The workers who come year after year for farm work around where I live, the accomodation and food is part of their payment, and they're brought to the big Tesco on buses on Friday night to get beers and essentials, that's hardly going to fill the country's coffers.

What do you spend your money on? Other than taxes which immigrants will also pay if working legally, as will the Eastern European stores they go to.

Beer and essentials are also taxed VAT, as is Tesco.

Aside from tax, where does your money go? I'm assuming it's wired straight to the NHS? The local council? Monzo'd directly to your local police officers?

Do you also have a problem with people who put everything in savings or investments?

You realise everyone has the freedom to spend their spare money how they wish once taxes and bills are paid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12