UK General Election 2024 #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh god he hasn’t been hypnotised by watching Angela Rayner crossing her legs has he? Pillock is far too kind imo.
No idea why people are up his hole. He's not saying anything that a hundred other boring pricks haven't said a hundred times before.

Reactions: 2
The elderly are generally exempt from benefit bashing as those who do so tend to direct their ire at single mothers and immigrants.
Some of the worst abuse is aimed at people who are ill. Yes, there are fakers who abuse the system but most of the time trying to get benefit support if you are genuinely unable to work is like pulling teeth and is an utterly dehumanising process that many have to give up on to save their sanity/health.

The ignorance surrounding illness, mental health, non-neurotypical conditions and disability in the UK in 2024 is atrocious.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Lots of postal vote problems in Scotland with school holidays starting today. Families jetting off and not received their ballot and can't vote.

I'm in this situation but only on a UK break so hoping my partner who stayed at home can get it to me tomorrow via post and I can get it back in the post! Total shambles.

I registered for a postal vote in May, too!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 5
Because, in an ideal world, I would prefer to pay more tax for better public services.
That’s working on the assumption that the government knows how to spend wisely. Successive administrations have proven they are perfectly capable of pissing away good money after bad.

It’s ideology over common sense unfortunately.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
That’s working on the assumption that the government knows how to spend wisely. Successive administrations have proven they are perfectly capable of pissing away good money after bad.

It’s ideology over common sense unfortunately.
Have they? I was quite happy with the way Labour spent my tax money when they were in power (with the exception of the Iraq war!).

Reactions: 8
Have they? I was quite happy with the way Labour spent my tax money when they were in power (with the exception of the Iraq war!).
Same.

(Although I actually supported the Iraq war at time, because I figured that Saddam should be removed. In my defence I was a somewhat nihilistic 17 year old, and even at the time I thought that the aftermath was handled horrendously).

I find it interesting tbh that it is considered idealistic to believe that higher taxes could mean better public services for everyone's benefit. It's a fairly non controversial standpoint. They manage it in Scandinavia.

Reactions: 10
I find it interesting tbh that it is considered idealistic to believe that higher taxes could mean better public services for everyone's benefit. It's a fairly non controversial standpoint. They manage it in Scandinavia.
We have been told for years by the Tories that high taxes are a bad thing. The same party that don’t like paying for well funded and run public services. We expect to get a first class NHS, pot hole free roads, first class public services, but we don’t expect to have to pay for it because high taxes are a bad thing. Perhaps it is time that the rhetoric changed? Public services cost money to run. We should be encouraged to pay for these services properly rather than told that we are entitled to keep more of our money. The problem we have had with this Tory government is both high taxes and lack of investment in public services!

Reactions: 13
I meant the government generally, not the current government. There is a quite strong attitude of "all governments are the same!" in this country, annoyingly.
I know, I hate it tbh. I think it's a really lazy attitude and it's also patently not true.

Reactions: 4
Lots of postal vote problems in Scotland with school holidays starting today. Families jetting off and not received their ballot and can't vote.

I'm in this situation but only on a UK break so hoping my partner who stayed at home can get it to me tomorrow via post and I can get it back in the post! Total shambles.

I registered for a postal vote in May, too!
It won't just be Scotland. I appreciate Scotland is different due to the summer holidays. The postal vote system is falling apart.

My council postal vote in May got incorrectly delivered and I was lucky it went to someone trustworthy who passed it on. Our post is so poor I'm considering walking to put ours in the ballot box.

I know, I hate it tbh. I think it's a really lazy attitude and it's also patently not true.
I don't think they are "all the same" but I after what Labour were like last time I can see why people would not want them back and think they are dodgy fuckers too, and Starmer just isn't inspiring at all, even if not for the party's history under the Blair-Brown years.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
It won't just be Scotland. I appreciate Scotland is different due to the summer holidays. The postal vote system is falling apart.

My council postal vote in May got incorrectly delivered and I was lucky it went to someone trustworthy who passed it on. Our post is so poor I'm considering walking to put ours in the ballot box.
I cannot understand why we still don't have any kind of online voting.

If each person casting their vote was required to confirm a code sent to their mobile phone as part of their voting process, and it was sent to their number that was registered two weeks in advance, it would arguably be way more secure than the postal vote system which at the end of the day can have farms of people sitting there registering for the postal votes and then completing them. Of course there are ways to do fraudulent stuff with mobiles on a one by one basis but not really in bulk without it being seriously expensive and very traceable. Would get so many more people voting, get the results quicker, and be way less expensive than people sitting opening envelopes.

I suppose you only have to look at the fustercluck that is NHS and HMRC (and post office!) IT and that reminds you that UK Government simply cannot do IT properly or efficiently, too much temptation to give vast sums of money to their mates in Sunak's wife's company and so on.

Reactions: 6