UK General Election 2024 #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
anyone else planning to stay up all night? I’m quite scared the polls are wrong
I'll be up all night (and posting here and elsewhere...)

And your comment about polls being wrong reminds me of my dad's quite brilliant dad joke the morning after the Brexit vote:

"So we voted to leave then?"

"Yeah, the polls were wrong"

"Which Poles? Lech Wałęsa?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Well this is extremely odd.
A Reform candidate has suddenly discovered the well hidden secret that Reform are racist and sexist. So using his finely tuned moral compass he’s decided to endorse the party well known for their stance against racism and sexism. The Tories. 🙄

• Haha
Reform is falling apart at the seams.

Although having said that I do ironically think that England losing might give them a slight boost.

Reactions: 3
Because they can blame it on the black players who aren’t really English?
Not just that, but people seeing it as part of the general malaise, which has been pushing people to parties like that.

Of course, England are now 2-1 up in Extra time.

Reactions: 1
Sent my postal vote. For the first time in my life, I haven't voted Labour.

In trying to be centrist, Starmer has co-opted right wing rhetoric that I'm personally not comfortable with, usually the ones that harm minority groups before anyone else.

And as a person of colour, he's made too many racially insensitive "faux paus". I can't do it!

• Angry
  • Heart
Sent my postal vote. For the first time in my life, I haven't voted Labour.

In trying to be centrist, Starmer has co-opted right wing rhetoric that I'm personally not comfortable with, usually the ones that harm minority groups before anyone else.

And as a person of colour, he's made too many racially insensitive "faux paus". I can't do it!
I did used to postal vote for a while in the early 2000's. But these days I like the ritual of popping down the street to cast. The Smalltalk.
I'm really sorry you don't feel that safe to do that where you are.

I did used to postal vote for a while in the early 2000's. But these days I like the ritual of popping down the street to cast. The Smalltalk.
I do feel safe! But thanks ❤ I just don't have time to vote in person.

I agree. Even more so now everyone seems to be permanently locked behind a screen.

Reactions: 2
I agree. Even more so now everyone seems to be permanently locked behind a screen.
Our days off are generally Wednesday Thursday.
Our polling station is a primary school over the road, and 1 min walk up the street is the local pub. Our tradition is to vote and then go for a pint! Love it 😀
Last local election a bloke was kicking off because he didn’t have ID despite it being extremely well publicised that this was now a requirement, had a lovely chat with the volunteers after he stormed out, wanker. I love polling day. Feels like a real community day here. 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm a POC. Personally I think Starmer had a pretty impossible job trying to please both those on the harder left of the party who are extremely socially liberal AND working class voters they were trying to win back from the tories (essential to win the election) who are economically Liberal but socially Conservative. Just my POV anyway. As a woman and a POC with Jewish heritage, I certainly don't feel comfortable voting Green but I would have tactically voted Lib Dem in my area if it was needed (it's not - safe Labour seat).

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm a POC. Personally I think Starmer had a pretty impossible job trying to please both those on the harder left of the party who are extremely socially liberal AND working class voters they were trying to win back from the tories (essential to win the election) who are economically Liberal but socially Conservative. Just my POV anyway. As a woman and a POC with Jewish heritage, I certainly don't feel comfortable voting Green but I would have tactically voted Lib Dem in my area if it was needed (it's not - safe Labour seat).
I voted Lib Dem. I'm in a safe Labour seat so my vote is inconsequential.

I'm personally concerned with Starmer ignoring the Forde report which suggests a hierachy of racism within Labour, ignoring concerns of Islamaphobia in the Labour party and invoking certain groups like Bangladeshis when he could speak on issues broadly and not scapegoat anyone. Especially when it turns out the named group isn't even the top 10 when it comes to illegal immigrants.

I'd never discourage any fellow POC from voting Labour but he needs more tact because some of the things he says come across as ignorant at best and dogwhistling at worst.

I think it's more than possible for him to address the concerns of the right wing without playing to their usual tactics.

Last edited:
I voted Lib Dem. I'm in a safe Labour seat so my vote is inconsequential.

I'm personally concerned with Starmer ignoring the Forde report which suggests a hierachy of racism within Labour, ignoring concerns of Islamaphobia in the Labour party and invoking certain groups like Bangladeshis when he could speak on issues broadly and not scapegoat anyone. Especially when it turns out the named group isn't even the top 10 when it comes to illegal immigrants.

I'd never discourage any fellow POC from voting Labour but he needs more tact because some of the things he says come across as ignorant at best and dogwhistling at worst.
Has he ignored the Forde report? There is a page on the party's progress here: https://labour.org.uk/resources/the-forde-report/.

Here it says all recommendations have been completed or considered but not progressed

Has he ignored the Forde report? There is a page on the party's progress here: https://labour.org.uk/resources/the-forde-report/.

Here it says all recommendations have been completed or considered but not progressed

It's been 2 years since and the recommendations haven't been progressed.

Labour also tried to silence the author this year when he said enough hadn't been done.

It's been 2 years since and the recommendations haven't been progressed.

Labour also tried to silence the author this year when he said enough hadn't been done.

Is there a recent article which says the recommendations haven't been progressed?

I admit that trying to gag Forde was not a good look.

Is there a recent article which says the recommendations haven't been progressed?

I admit that trying to gag Forde was not a good look.
Not from what I can see.

Again, this was simply my own conscious. I wouldn't discourage anyone from voting Labour.

When the country is in such a dire state, I didn't really need Labour/Starmer to explicitly mention anything on race but I can't ignore that when he does, he seems to put his foot in it. A lot.

If my vote held more weight, I would have voted Labour and that's exactly what I (reluctantly) intended to do until a week or two ago.

Reactions: 4
Not from what I can see.

Again, this was simply my own conscious. I wouldn't discourage anyone from voting Labour.

When the country is in such a dire state, I didn't really need Labour/Starmer to explicitly mention anything on race but I can't ignore that when he does, he seems to put his foot in it. A lot.

If my vote held more weight, I would have voted Labour and that's exactly what I (reluctantly) intended to do until a week or two ago.
That's fair, I'd never want to invalidate anyone's personal experiences or perceptions and people can vote for those who best represent them or they feel most comfortable voting for.

Just looking forward to 10pm on Thursday through to Friday where hopefully we will see the back of the Tories 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I found this article from January. https://news.sky.com/story/most-rec...w-but-author-says-more-could-be-done-13052321 Looks like there are 11 recommendations that have not yet progressed.

Given their history they should never have tried to silence Martin Forde. For a party to say they've changed, they need to be transparent about steps they are/are not taking and be open about their reasoning. I completely understand why people are turning their back on Labour this time around.

Reactions: 3