UK General Election 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That area had the only UKIP MP, Douglas Carswell who defected from the tories. The area overwhelmingly voted leave. He's chosen the place for himself to stand where he is most likely to have success. Fingers crossed Tendring doesn't fall for him twice.
Good points, only Tendring has 2 different MPs !!! Clacton and Harwich and North East Essex! Most of the Tendring area falls within Harwich and North East Essex!

At first I thought Farage would have an easy ride, getting in at Clacton, but he is getting such negative publicity at the moment, and I wonder if his emphasis on a national campaign will damage his local campaign?
But it might be because I'm avoiding most of the news at the moment!!!

Reactions: 2
At first I thought Farage would have an easy ride, getting in at Clacton, but he is getting such negative publicity at the moment, and I wonder if his emphasis on a national campaign will damage his local campaign?
I don’t think he’s actually interested in winning or getting a seat tbf

it’s all a publicity exercise for whatever show he does next

Reactions: 6
Good points, only Tendring has 2 different MPs !!! Clacton and Harwich and North East Essex! Most of the Tendring area falls within Harwich and North East Essex!

His die hard fans ignore any negative publicity, they think it's all smears by the elite political establishment. There's no arguing with them, trust me.

Reactions: 6
I mean, at this point, I genuinely don’t even know what to say. ( Although most of it will be incoherent swearing)

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I mean, at this point, I genuinely don’t even know what to say. ( Although most of it will be incoherent swearing)

Saw that, it's absolutely ridiculous, how can the Met Police be this inept. Every corporate these days is making every employee take and sign off annual compliance training which covers things like insider trading / unfair advantages, how the hell are the Met not doing the same, even if just for the officers that work in sensitive positions close to government officers.

The party of sleaze again.

Reactions: 7

The Harwich and North Essex constituency has had a lot of the labour area of Colchester added to it to try to break the hold labour has in that end of the city.

• Angry
Reactions: 2
I know people (of different backgrounds) who say they are going to vote for Reform because they genuinely feel like they haven’t been listened to by the other main parties, some are going to do it as a protest vote. And if I was any of the main parties I’d be wondering what has gone so badly that people think voting for Reform is going to bring them positive change.
People want secure borders and less immigration which is fine, fair enough but if Nigel Farage did get in power would he actually do that? Or would he find something else to blame whilst he counts his pay cheques?

Reactions: 9
My husband is a dyed in the wool Tory and he intends to vote Reform. When I asked him why he says it’s because he likes Farage and the local Tory candidate is a wrong un (he’s right though he is. He’s been our county councillor for the last few years and he’s terrible at it so he would make an even worse MP)

Reactions: 1
I know people (of different backgrounds) who say they are going to vote for Reform because they genuinely feel like they haven’t been listened to by the other main parties, some are going to do it as a protest vote. And if I was any of the main parties I’d be wondering what has gone so badly that people think voting for Reform is going to bring them positive change.
People want secure borders and less immigration which is fine, fair enough but if Nigel Farage did get in power would he actually do that? Or would he find something else to blame whilst he counts his pay cheques?
Have you thought about changing your user name to Mystc Meg because you add spot on with your final line!

Reform are a limited company after all not a political party, they are there to make profits, why else go to the expense of setting themselves up like that and not a political party?

I met a lady while out campaigning for Labour at the weekend, she was nicely dressed, sorting out the borders (green not country) in front of her country cottage, told me she always voted Tory but had already done her postal vote for Nigel because they made a lot of sense to her.

I thanked her for her time and said at least we could agree we wanted the Tories out!

My husband is a dyed in the wool Tory and he intends to vote Reform. When I asked him why he says it’s because he likes Farage and the local Tory candidate is a wrong un (he’s right though he is. He’s been our county councillor for the last few years and he’s terrible at it so he would make an even worse MP)
I’ve no idea who your candidate is, but unless he’s an actual nazi he can’t surely be more of a wrong un than Farage.
Could you not lock your husband in the shed on polling day?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
This is exactly what he will do! Look at his history in the EU parliament!

I met a lady while out campaigning for Labour at the weekend, she was nicely dressed, sorting out the borders (green not country) in front of her country cottage, told me she always voted Tory but had already done her postal vote for Nigel because they made a lot of sense to her.
Out of curiosity, how old was the lady you met? I ask as I have been talking to friends in their 30s who are thinking about voting Reform. 🤷‍♀️ As is my husband (who is 38) which you can imagine is causing a bit of a debate in my house! He now refuses to talk politics with me 🤣

The common theme with both my friends and my husband is that they hate the Conservatives but cannot bring themselves to vote Labour so its a choice of either not voting or voting Reform. They also feel that their single vote makes no difference :rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: 4
But *why* can't people "bring themselves" to vote Labour but they CAN bring themselves to vote Reform? Given Labour haven't been in government for 14 years, what exactly is it about them that is so heinously awful that people would rather vote for a party of white supremacists?

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I’d assume these Reform voters are white and probably a little bit white supremacist themselves (though suggesting they’re racist would upset them). Depending of the area, then they’ve been brought up as Tories and feel voting Labour is for ‘common’, lazy people and minorities. Voting labour would mean they are common and lazy too or could be viewed that way (the horror) by their peers. Voting Reform is much easier as it doesn’t have the baggage associated with Labour and they’re ’kind of’ Tory. Then there’s the whole dopamine thing of doing something ‘edgy’ which may end up being successful like Brexit.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
But *why* can't people "bring themselves" to vote Labour but they CAN bring themselves to vote Reform? Given Labour haven't been in government for 14 years, what exactly is it about them that is so heinously awful that people would rather vote for a party of white supremacists?
I keep asking this and the answers I get are flaky af.

One of my friends is a Tory - always has been (granted she is on the centre-right - think Rory Stewart/Dominic Grieve type conservative) when I spoke to her about what a vote for Reform actually means and what is it about them that makes them a better option than either Labour/Lib Dems/Greens, she had no answer. She conceded by saying that she now doesn't know who to vote for.

Another friend is more of a floating voter but her husband hates the Tories but likes Farage as "he says it how it is" and she agrees with him. :rolleyes:

Depending of the area, then they’ve been brought up as Tories and feel voting Labour is for ‘common’, lazy people and minorities
You know what, I think you are spot on!

I’d assume these Reform voters are white and probably a little bit white supremacist themselves (though suggesting they’re racist would upset them). Depending of the area, then they’ve been brought up as Tories and feel voting Labour is for ‘common’, lazy people and minorities. Voting labour would mean they are common and lazy too or could be viewed that way (the horror) by their peers. Voting Reform is much easier as it doesn’t have the baggage associated with Labour and they’re ’kind of’ Tory. Then there’s the whole dopamine thing of doing something ‘edgy’ which may end up being successful like Brexit.
I mean successful and brexit are not terms to be used in the same sentence really.

• Haha
This is exactly what he will do! Look at his history in the EU parliament!

Out of curiosity, how old was the lady you met? I ask as I have been talking to friends in their 30s who are thinking about voting Reform. 🤷‍♀️ As is my husband (who is 38) which you can imagine is causing a bit of a debate in my house! He now refuses to talk politics with me 🤣

The common theme with both my friends and my husband is that they hate the Conservatives but cannot bring themselves to vote Labour so its a choice of either not voting or voting Reform. They also feel that their single vote makes no difference :rolleyes:
She was in her 60s I would say, but a fit 60s if you know what I mean. It came as no surprise that she had voted Reform already but the fact she was happy to make her vote known was what made me stop for a min.

My Husband now calls her street Brexit Avenue and insists on singing this to the tune of Electric Avenue every time we go down, I’m probably more cross about that (my husband finds it funnier than the rest of us 🙄)

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.