UK General Election 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The difficulty of those with criminal records finding work is an issue though, as they are expected to work and not return to crime. If people won’t employ them then what can they do? There’s an argument that if immigration is reduced then employers need to look at the domestic pool more and develop people who are already here. Some businesses operating in challenging recruitment environments already employ previous criminals but admit it’s not appropriate for some roles. Some, like timpsons make a value employing those with criminal records.
Timpsons do amazing work. Again a lot of this is due underfunding of public services - Prisons are in an appalling state, the probation service was completely ruined by making it private and the rehabilitation is a dirty word and so we just go round in circles and its easier to blame immigrants - who will always exist - than to fix these really complex problems. I used to be a real idealist but I'm now at the point we either need to burn it all down and start again or we deserve what we get.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I know a prison officer who says a lot of prisoners are either homeless and/or have severe untreated mental health/addiction issues. There's so few resources to rehabilitate them that they often end up reoffending.

rehabilitation is a dirty word
100%

If anyone gets the chance read The Governor by Vanessa Frake - the government need to work with people like her. She believes that with the right support rehabilitation is possible but noone is willing to invest in it.

You have Nacro, who are funded by the MOJ who do excellent work with adult and young offenders but they only work in 20 odd prisons - they need to be in every prison really. They've been running campaigns for years to try and fix some of the wider issues. I hope that if Labour get in that with Starmer's background at the CPS that these sort of programmes get the investment to enable them to make a difference.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'm fine with paedophiles not finding work tbh.
Which is fine, if you don't mind paying them benefits for life, since you can't deport them if they are British citizens (exile is illegal under international law).

I have no issue deporting foreign criminals if possible.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
See, I think deporting foreign criminals can be, in many cases, unnecessarily cruel especially where people have come here as children and their parents/guardians failed to regularise their immigration status

Reactions: 2
See, I think deporting foreign criminals can be, in many cases, unnecessarily cruel especially where people have come here as children and their parents/guardians failed to regularise their immigration status
That's why I said "if possible".

Reactions: 1
I don’t doubt previous offenders don’t struggle to find work, that wasntt why I posted that TikTok, it was to highlight how misguided their anger is because it’s down to poor funding for services once they are released, poor wages which increase the likelihood they either return to offending or they stay on benefits because they end up with more money, poor incentives for employers to try take on ex-offenders and high costs of living. There is also the small bracket, which judging by that guys reaction to when she asks about “applying for jobs” that just don’t bother yet continue to blame immigrants/asylum seekers for coming here and working/wanting to work. Bottom line of this is that these people will work for shite money because it’s a lot better than what they’d get back in their own country. If we actually had decent wages which allowed people to survive if they worked then this would be a better solution to a lot of issues rather than “it’s the immigrants”

edit to add - when I say “their anger” I mean reform voters

Reactions: 3
I find it interesting how quite a few potential Reform voters I know are not white. Through my friend I know quite a few ex Muslims who had the flee the Middle East due to their apostasy laws and they are genuinely scared that the UK is too soft on Islamists. Also quite a few Iranian Christians who had to leave too. I’ve told them that I don’t think that Reform is a party that would support them but I don’t know if it’s a protest vote thing or they genuinely believe Reform will be a better alternative for them.

I think the problem is so many people feel life isn't working out for them and they fall for the simplistic solutions of populists from the far right, because in their eyes the current system is against them. And I'm not sure that we've really addressed that other than to make for example brexiters feel stupid for falling for it and they then double down.

The biggest issue facing a lot of the world is the increasing inequality with the top not paying their taxes, fighting against climate change measures and so on. Ironically those people who are voting reform would probably much better off under a more left leaning progressive government or at least one that wanted to be more radical and do things differently. The fact that Labour (or anyone) can't even say yes we will put up taxes but that means you'll be able to get a GP appointment and not have to go private, use cheaper public transport so you don't have to use your car, pay for proper support for young people so again you aren't having to give up work to support them and fight for them and so on is bonkers. We really needed a proper conversation about about what our country was about but the media were too busy getting high off controversies and gotcha moments and starting up a new podcast to start it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I don’t doubt previous offenders don’t struggle to find work, that wasntt why I posted that TikTok, it was to highlight how misguided their anger is because it’s down to poor funding for services once they are released, poor wages which increase the likelihood they either return to offending or they stay on benefits because they end up with more money, poor incentives for employers to try take on ex-offenders and high costs of living.
Totally agree. Also, that guy in particular needs to take some personal responsibility for his actions - he won't though - blaming immigrants is far easier. I come back to what I said before, it is easier for Farage et al to find some common scapegoat that can distract from the real reasons why things have gone to tit rather than come up with an actual policy that will go some way to fix the real problems.

I’ve told them that I don’t think that Reform is a party that would support them
I imagine Reform would welcome them with open arms because their experiences will fit Reform's narrative. I think anyone who ends up with a Reform UK MP is going to be very disappointed in the end.
---
I think the problem is so many people feel life isn't working out for them and they fall for the simplistic solutions of populists from the far right, because in their eyes the current system is against them. And I'm not sure that we've really addressed that other than to make for example brexiters feel stupid for falling for it and they then double down.

The biggest issue facing a lot of the world is the increasing inequality with the top not paying their taxes, fighting against climate change measures and so on. Ironically those people who are voting reform would probably much better off under a more left leaning progressive government or at least one that wanted to be more radical and do things differently. The fact that Labour (or anyone) can't even say yes we will put up taxes but that means you'll be able to get a GP appointment and not have to go private, use cheaper public transport so you don't have to use your car, pay for proper support for young people so again you aren't having to give up work to support them and fight for them and so on is bonkers. We really needed a proper conversation about about what our country was about but the media were too busy getting high off controversies and gotcha moments and starting up a new podcast to start it.
If I could like this post 10000 times I would!! 🙌

• Heart
My partner and I fall into the middle man category who always shoulder the tax burden so it’s hard to know who it’s right to vote for. I am honestly at a loss! I voted Labour in 2015 and Lib Dem in 2019.

I don’t see Keir Starmer as a strong leader and I mentioned I don’t like Angela lol, I would vote Lib Dem, my mum does leafleting etc for them, but I’m just worried it won’t really count towards anything. I own a diesel vehicle so no way I would vote Green and would rather lose my right to vote completely than vote Reform 😵💫

I think this country is just fucked whoever is in government, if it was a poorly pet you’d put it down 😩

• Sad
I imagine Reform would welcome them with open arms because their experiences will fit Reform's narrative. I think anyone who ends up with a Reform UK MP is going to be very disappointed in the end.
True, but I wonder if in the long term Reform would be supportive. Because at the moment they are useful and to some members they will always be brown and foreign.
It’s like this new re branding of Tommy Robinson - he’s done a few interviews with ex Muslims and allegedly he’s trying to elevate their voice. But his past makes me automatically think well are you being genuine, have you actually changed because you were God awful. It would be nice if extremists did change and so the errors of their ways and tried to improve society but I’m going off track here now.
---
but I’m just worried it won’t really count towards anything.
From a random person on the internet - I always say vote for who you want to and not to worry too much if it’ll make a difference. The way our voting system is set up is essentially a two party system and that won’t change if people don’t vote for who they want to and only vote tactically, etc. So personally I think it’s always better to vote for who you want to.

Reactions: 7
I think to be honest having any decent opposition will be a good thing. Having a landslide just allows a party to do whatever they want. I’m watching the debate now (I’m a bit behind as paused it) but I’m not impressed with anyone.
---
I can’t believe I found Rishi quite sexy in 2020. Then I found out he is tiny and looking at him today he has me potato head ears. What was I thinking?!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
We've never had the complete implosion of the Conservative Party (And they can't blame Witches because that was what? Doing spells to bring their collapse rather than their actual mindset and policies?!) so good!

Well that was two hours of my life I'm never getting back. I still don't know who to vote for. I just cànt stand Rishi, I don't see Kier as a good leader and Ed can't answer a proper question. None of them have what we need. I don't see any of them fitting in at the G7 or world stage anywhere.

Reactions: 5
I’ve no idea who your candidate is, but unless he’s an actual nazi he can’t surely be more of a wrong un than Farage.
Could you not lock your husband in the shed on polling day?
Haha!! I could try but the shed door is broken so it wouldn’t last long 😂😂
Tbh he’s not far off. The guy is, in the words of a fellow councillor ‘dangerous’ I rest my case.

Well that was two hours of my life I'm never getting back. I still don't know who to vote for. I just cànt stand Rishi, I don't see Kier as a good leader and Ed can't answer a proper question. None of them have what we need. I don't see any of them fitting in at the G7 or world stage anywhere.
Is there an Independent candidate in your area?

Then ignore the nationwide picture and vote for whoever's likely to make the best MP and make the biggest positive difference to your local constituency.

That Fiona Bruce debate was one sided with lame questions.

Nobody has yet asked Starmer what he's intending to do with pensions, but we all know the answer is that he'll tax them.

Nobody has yet asked Rishi what the tax payers money sent to France is actually funding in relation to stopping the boats coming over.

I cannot understand why Rishi called a GE prior to September when he's saying flights are ready to go. Why didn't he wait and prove that. Why didn't he remove thousands of immigrants prior to announcing the GE.

Why hasn't anyone asked where all these new immigrants are being kept now. What happens when over 800 arrive in one day alone.

The last I heard was that Vietnamese people are the majority arriving here.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.