UK General Election 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But that fact doesn't make headlines like Rishi peddling the £2000 tax increase by Labour does. Sadly.
The Tories have got away with just making tit up this election campaign. They're this close to saying "well Labour haven't explicitly SAID they won't murder every third baby in their manifesto so that means they will". It's pathetic and desperate and I don't know how it's allowed tbh.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My dad is one of the brainwashed. I asked him what the policies they had that he liked and he just said something about immigration. He watches a lot of Youtube and definitely has been radicalised. its sad.

The funny thing is we have american family and they are all really Trump-y. And he laughs at them.
It's twitter too, like deep in the dark of twitter. My neighbour has been brainwashed too!
---
The Tories have got away with just making tit up this election campaign. They're this close to saying "well Labour haven't explicitly SAID they won't murder every third baby in their manifesto so that means they will". It's pathetic and desperate and I don't know how it's allowed tbh.
All we do know is that what ever happens, we're exchanging one lot of jerks for another.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
My in laws too. They know full well my Dad was a refugee and they still can't stop themselves making pointed comments about small boats. They live in a tiny town where nearly everyone is white British.

My FIL was outraged that the name "Mohammed" was so popular in the UK. I pointed out that's because all Muslim boys are named Mohammed and he just went "well that goes to show how many of them there are then". I was like well no, if all redheads were named Bob you'd have an abundance of Bobs too even if there aren't many redheads. It simply did not compute.
Sorry the lack of critical thinking by your FIL made me chuckle 🤣🤣

Reactions: 1
It's twitter too, like deep in the dark of twitter. My neighbour has been brainwashed too!
---

All we do know is that what ever happens, we're exhanging one lot of jerks for another.
I absolutely do not hold with the "they're all as bad as each other" narrative. It's a really lazy and tedious way to think.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
And if you don't want a dictatorship, I'd certainly advise not voting for an alleged party with a fascist at its helm, put it that way.
And not just at the helm ... 41 Reform candidates found to be Facebook friends with a fascist Gary Raikes, leader of the New British Union which Raikes claims to be a revival of Moseley's British Union of Facists. Farage excuses them by saying that "most of our candidates are not political sophisticates". Neither are most of their supporters.

• Angry
I absolutely do not hold with the "they're all as bad as each other" narrative. It's a really lazy and tedious way to think.
But they really are, some things will change for the better, but other things will change for the worse at the same time.

There genuinely is not one party that will solve the issues we have as a country, without causing other issues. Its the cycle we've been in for years.
When was the last time we didn't moan about a PM or Government in power!

Reactions: 4
But they really are, some things will change for the better, but other things will change for the worse at the same time.

There genuinely is not one party that will solve the issues we have as a country, without causing other issues. Its the cycle we've been in for years.
Literally no government would be able to solve "all" the issues we face as a country, given the variety of economic, social and global issues we face and the wide demographic of people in the UK, not all of whom will agree on what is better and what is worse. That doesn't mean they're all as bad as each other.

Reactions: 11

'The country' can't agree on what are the issues and how they should be 'solved' though. If it did there wouldn't be political parties. As soon as one party does something to address an issue, half the country will complain about it. As Churchill said "democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…"
---
It's an excuse not to have to think too deeply.

To quote The Handmaid's Tale - "better never means better for everyone. It always means worse, for some."

Objectively however I'm struggling to see how anyone judges Keir Starmer and Nigel Farage to be "as bad as each other", even if you don't think much of Starmer.

Reactions: 12
To quote The Handmaid's Tale - "better never means better for everyone. It always means worse, for some."

Objectively however I'm struggling to see how anyone judges Keir Starmer and Nigel Farage to be "as bad as each other", even if you don't think much of Starmer.
Starmer is a genocide apologist. That is a pretty big deal breaker for a lot of people and a justifiable one at that.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 4
This is the other thing! How do Reform voters justify Farage being a Putin apologist?!
Well, Putin definitely isn’t a member of the North London townhouse living, woke, liberal metropolitan elite, he hates the EU and he almost certainly doesn’t like women, gay people, brown people or Muslims. What’s not to like?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Based on current polling I'd say his past political approach to Gaza is not a big deal breaker for a lot of people.
But you don't get to pretend you have the moral high ground if your voting for someone like that. That's my issue, people being holier than thou because they want to vote Labour. They are as morally bankrupt as the rest of them.

• Haha
  • Angry
I feel like there’s quite a lot of ground between holier than thou and morally bankrupt and there aren’t many at the first extreme. What’s the point of being morally pure if you can’t achieve anything? I would consider that ‘immoral’

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.