UK General Election 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do really feel like anywhere outside a city in the UK doesnā€™t get taken into consideration RE green targets, and living in a fantasy land when everyone can get from A to B no problem with public transport or cycling,,

I am writing this on a 3 mile walk because the last bus from my work is at 7pm and my partner and I only have one car between us today and he doesnā€™t finish until 9 šŸ˜‚

There doesnā€™t seem to have been any mention so far of the reallocated HS2 funding for the north. Probably because it doesnā€™t actually exist āœØ

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Interesting

I do hope this is true šŸ™. It feels like young people are quite apathetic towards politics and voting so parties never really consider them.

I just have flashbacks to the 2019 election where loads of people on Twitter were talking about young people turning out to vote in huge numbers and it turned out not to be the case.
---
In other news (sorry) it is my birthday today šŸ˜‚ and related to politics guess who shares it (not the same year though) šŸ˜‚

Attachments

Reactions: 4
Our polling cards came through today. Youngest is driving 70 miles home to vote. Oldest has given me her proxy vote. Bring it on!!

Still nothing from any of the parties standing though?

Why were they not already registered to vote? The local elections were just 6 weeks ago. I'm massively undecided for so many reasons but I never understand the influx of previously unregistered.
A lot of people only care about General Elections.

Reactions: 2
Our polling cards came through today. Youngest is driving 70 miles home to vote. Oldest has given me her proxy vote. Bring it on!!

Still nothing from any of the parties standing though?
We have not had any party literature either. No boards up in front gardens yet. Perhaps the Tory voters are too embarrassed?

I live in the UK's largest constituency, which has just had a boundary change to make it even larger - it covers the whole of the north of Scotland and is a nightmare for politicians to canvas effectively.

Screenshot_20240615_074915_Chrome.jpg

In 2019 the Lib Dems held it by 204 votes over the SNP. The new areas added in tend to vote more SNP, but there's been a pretty big opinion swing against the SNP over the last 5 years, so I think the result here is very much up in the air.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Iā€™ve only seen Labour posters up so far in a seat held by a Tory currently. Silent tories have always been a thing and I suspect that the vote will be closer than expected. The reform and green votes make it a lot more ā€˜interestingā€™ though as they impact the right and left votes. Iā€™ve noted in a street that had a lot of green posters up for the local elections now has Labour ones for the general

Reactions: 7
I got a Labour leaflet through the door the other day, and someone came to canvas for Labour on Thursday.

I live in a Labour stronghold although Simon Hughes from the Lib Dems was my MP for a bit.

Conservatives won't get a look in here and I guess Lib Dems aren't really contesting Labour seats so makes sense.

Weā€™ve had a conservative and Lib Dem leaflet. Lots of Tory boards up on a piece of farmland along the main road as well

Reactions: 1
I've had nothing from anyone so far. No leaflets, no canvassers, nada.

Some of the candidates did host a hustings event the other evening but I couldn't go due to work. I did find out that the Lib Dem and Reform candidate didn't bother turning up though which did not go down well. I'm surprised the Labour candidate in my area hasn't been more present - this election is the best chance they'll have to oust the Tories. Still theres still a couple of weeks to go.

I live in the UK's largest constituency, which has just had a boundary change to make it even larger - it covers the whole of the north of Scotland and is a nightmare for politicians to canvas effectively.

View attachment 2995269

In 2019 the Lib Dems held it by 204 votes over the SNP. The new areas added in tend to vote more SNP, but there's been a pretty big opinion swing against the SNP over the last 5 years, so I think the result here is very much up in the air.
Lol, there's the sticks, and then there's THE STICKS. What's the broadband like up there?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I've had some Labour stuff, but nothing else. I'm in the less interesting seat round here though (Sherwood Forest, as it's now called, as opposed to Ashfield).

We live in a constituency that has returned a Tory MP for over a 100 years and our current MP is a Government minister. However there is a real possibility that she could lose to the Liberal Democrat candidate. We had a couple of questionnaires from the Tories demonstrating their sudden interest in local issues (and steering well clear of national ones) but we have had frequent things from the LD candidate. They are clearly making a big push. Nothing from Labour who I think have given up in this constituency.

We went down to the very rich area this week, by the marina where the houses are mainly weekend homes and go for between Ā£1 million and Ā£3 million. Predictably there were a few Tory posters and signs there but otherwise there are numerous LD signs all over the area.

Reactions: 7
I've had nothing from any party and no posters either. I live in a safe seat and no one seems to bother either locally or nationally. I'd love someone from any party to knock on the door as I've got lots of questions for all parties but I don't think it's going to happen. Door knocking other than for media purposes appears to be a thing of the past unfortunately.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.