UK General Election 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good grief. The state school feral chavs will beat me up/stab me/encourage me to vape & ‘do drugs’. He’s having to change schools anyway as his parents are moving and he will be at sixth form very soon and I doubt all the kids ‘won’t care about their education’. Does he hold these views about his state school educated cousins? Probably.

This exactly makes my point about social class snobbery. The mum here sounds ‘lovely’ blaming the upheaval of moving to a new area on the Labour Party rather than there decisions as parents to uproot their children at a crucial stage in their education.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Good grief. The state school feral chavs will beat me up/stab me/encourage me to vape & ‘do drugs’. He’s having to change schools anyway as his parents are moving and he will be at sixth form very soon and I doubt all the kids ‘won’t care about their education’. Does he hold these views about his state school educated cousins? Probably
The comments on that article, snobbery still running riot in this country!

Reactions: 7
I should add that, yes, he may well have a hard time at his new state school if his fellow pupils find out about this article as he’s so bloody rude about them. Not very sensible of his parents to allow this. Assuming it’s true

Reactions: 11
If you can afford to pay for private school then you don’t go, and that’s the end of it. The vast majority of people in this country went to state school. Most of us have turned out fine. I went to the roughest school in my town, yet many of my peers have done very well. A few went to top Universities and have amazing careers, one of my best friends has a PHD and now lectures herself. Out of my circle of friends that I’m still in touch with, one now works for a major fashion label and has travelled the world with them, another works as cabin crew, one is a shop manager (went straight into retail at sixteen and worked their way up), a few are now nurses. Even the rougher kids seem to have turned out mostly ok.

There are bad apples in all walks of life. Remember Kate Middleton had to move schools due to horrendous bullying at her first boarding school.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Good grief. The state school feral chavs will beat me up/stab me/encourage me to vape & ‘do drugs’. He’s having to change schools anyway as his parents are moving and he will be at sixth form very soon and I doubt all the kids ‘won’t care about their education’. Does he hold these views about his state school educated cousins? Probably.

This exactly makes my point about social class snobbery. The mum here sounds ‘lovely’ blaming the upheaval of moving to a new area on the Labour Party rather than there decisions as parents to uproot their children at a crucial stage in their education.
" Until now, me and my brother — he’s 16, I’m 14 — have always attended private school "

Obviously not a very good one, if they haven't taught you it should be "My brother and I"

He better get an extra long machete

• Haha
Almost feel a bit sorry for that kid because where did he pick up that attitude? Either his parents saying stuff like that at home, or the kids at the expensive school, or both. Imagine either training your child to be such a rotten snob or knowing you've paid for them to turn out that way. Mortifying failure of parenting.

Reactions: 11
I know this is behind a paywall, but surely it has to be made up? As if a fourteen year old could articulate themselves like that. If he’s real he sounds like a right snooty little twit.

There's no way a 14yo wrote that. It doesn't read like a teenager. It reads like an adult with an agenda and unconvincing writing style

Reactions: 13
If his new schoolmates find out about that he'll have more to worry about than vaping behind the bikesheds...

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I think this illustrates quite well where the different stances on PR come from between the parties. For all the furore about the latest yougov poll, Reform are still only predicted to win between 0-6 seats (hopefully the former!) Opposition my arse.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I think this illustrates quite well where the different stances on PR come from between the parties. For all the furore about the latest yougov poll, Reform are still only predicted to win between 0-6 seats (hopefully the former!) Opposition my arse.

It's disappointing that Labour aren't behind scrapping voter ID. I thought they were saying it would exclude those who don't have ID from participating in democracy.

Reactions: 8
Welcome to the real world, Lord Snooty. You might have to rub shoulders with the rest of us proles but at least you will not grow up to be an entitled prat like Boris Johnson. Always look on the bright side of life!
---
It's disappointing that Labour aren't behind scrapping voter ID. I thought they were saying it would exclude those who don't have ID from participating in democracy.
I don’t have an issue with proving who you are at the polling station but I do think that a wider selection of ID should be allowed.

Reactions: 4
Welcome to the real world, Lord Snooty. You might have to rub shoulders with the rest of us proles but at least you will not grow up to be an entitled prat like Boris Johnson. Always look on the bright side of life!
---

I don’t have an issue with proving who you are at the polling station but I do think that a wider selection of ID should be allowed.
It just seemed to be implemented for a problem that doesn't exist. Between 2019 - 2023 there have been 11 convictions for electoral fraud.

There's no way a 14yo wrote that. It doesn't read like a teenager. It reads like an adult with an agenda and unconvincing writing style
Next article up in the Daily Mail - "Worried that my parents won't be able to afford to buy organic cotton clothes for me if Labour get in" by Tarquin, 5 months old baby.

• Haha
I'm glad I managed to watch it last night.

1hr t'other week + 30 mins Question Time till it got derailed/merailed by a daft question + 90 mins of the bucket controller where the panel moderated itself. I liked her mock serious/concerned face and the way she waved her biro about to make it look like she was in charge. The pink flare suit was too much for me though. 1973 wants it back now.

Thats 3 solid hours of "Current awareness training" as they call it completed and my civic duty is discharged for a couple of weeks till football ceases.

Farage looked even more like Mr Toad than usual if that's possible "peep! peep!". It was quite uncanny. We've also got Ratty Sunak so it's a bit like a Wind in the Willows reunion.

The green party candidate really reminded me of someone and I couldn't place who which was frustrating throughout. Then I realised this morning - Batmans faithful side kick Robin.

Like a few others have said though these televised debates are a bit of a waste of time. Especially if ITV do them. But I'm proud I watched it.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
It just seemed to be implemented for a problem that doesn't exist. Between 2019 - 2023 there have been 11 convictions for electoral fraud.
I appreciate that voter fraud isn’t a big issue, but I did find it odd that I could just turn up and vote without proving who I am.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

No way am I voting for anybody talking about letting 16 year olds vote, until they're first talking about making the age of criminal responsibility 16 as well.

If they're responsible enough to vote at 16 then they're responsible enough to be tried as an adult when they're carrying knives around etc.
---
lol that just means they couldn't be arsed to properly investigate and prosecute for electoral fraud. Doesn't mean it's not happening!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
No way am I voting for anybody talking about letting 16 year olds vote, until they're first talking about making the age of criminal responsibility 16 as well.

If they're responsible enough to vote at 16 then they're responsible enough to be tried as an adult when they're carrying knives around etc.
---

lol that just means they couldn't be arsed to properly investigate and prosecute for electoral fraud. Doesn't mean it's not happening!

We spent an inordinate amount on hunting for it, we had special police tasks forces for it and a parliamentary commission. We found diddly squat.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.