UK General Election 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
predicting

Key word. Not something that has happened yet and if it does happen, will it be specifically because of brexit? Or because the UK has that much more to recover from so will outpace other countries?

Because currently we have the worst drop in living standards since 2019.

a004a500-18de-11ef-80aa-699d54c46324.jpg

That's what we're living with in the here and now as we get ready to vote.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I'm just surprised people still take Farage seriously after the scam that is Brexit.
Well. He’s really, really racist, which a lot of people seem to rather like.
And there are still plenty of people who think that there is a “good” Brexit out there somewhere - the good Brexit that Nigel sold them, it’s just that the government rolled over and let the unelected bureaucrats of the EU sell us a terrible one.
Either way, Farage is laughing all the way to the bank. ( As long as the bank isn’t Coutts obviously. )

• Angry
Reactions: 7
BIB

Since the referendum, the UK economy has grown faster than those of Germany, Italy and Japan, and is equal with the French. The IMF is now predicting that the UK will have the fastest growth in the G7 in the next five years. Meanwhile, our exports have reached £870 billion, and we are well on target to reach our overall target of £1 trillion. That growth in trade is greatly assisted by our free trade agreements, now signed with 73 countries globally plus the EU.

Package of measures will help fishing industry thrive and deliver a healthier marine environment
Reforms seize new freedoms outside the EU and mark a clear departure from the Common Fisheries Policy
Announcement builds on investment and uplift in fisheries opportunities worth more than £200 million.
This reads as it was copied and pasted from somewhere. Then I spotted your profile pic 🙄

Reactions: 6
I left it a little late but I tried to get myself a postal vote sorted. Did everything right but when they asked me to confirm that the picture of my signature was okay, it was blurry and illegible on their end even though my image of it is absolutely fine on my phone.

I don't know why this has happened but I'm so frustrated. I feel like I'm just not meant to have a voice.
---
Tried again on another, better phone. This time it wouldn't let me upload the picture at all. It just said file upload error.

I give up.

duck the the lot of them.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
I left it a little late but I tried to get myself a postal vote sorted. Did everything right but when they asked me to confirm that the picture of my signature was okay, it was blurry and illegible on their end even though my image of it is absolutely fine on my phone.

I don't know why this has happened but I'm so frustrated. I feel like I'm just not meant to have a voice.

You still have 2 days! I had an issue with my NI number which I'm 99% sure I got right. They sent an email asking me to send proof of ID, I took a photo of my drivers license. In the same email I re-sent my NI number and got a response the next day saying it'd been approved.

Reactions: 4
Just thinking about Nigel Farage, as you do. He likes to tell us that he is a down to earth “man of the people.” How many people do you know who bank at Coutts?
Anyway…
A benefit of Brexit apparently is that our tradespeople’s wages have gone up a lot since foreign tradespeople have gone back home.
The problem with that is most of us aren’t tradespeople and have to pay more for services. We also have to wait a lot longer to get jobs done as we don’t have enough tradespeople here.
Yay! 🙄 Vote for Nigel! 🤪

Reactions: 10
"Article"? Ha Ha! It's not an article, it's a press (some would say propaganda) release from the very government that lied to everybody including the fishing industry, about the benefits' of Brexit in the first place and then delivered the 'oven ready' deal that has been an absolute disaster for the whole country.

This is an article ...
Brexit "costing the UK economy £100 billion' a year

And if we are talking specifically about the 0.3% of of the UK's GDP that the fishing industry occupies why not listen to the views of people that are actually living with the 'benefits' of Brexit.

"How Brexit Betrayed The Fishing Industry"
"many fishermen now felt like “turkeys voting for Christmas.”", “We were promised: We will take back control of our waters; we will set our quotas ... It’s been a total con.”

"How fishing was gutted by Brexit"
"“Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving – or, rather, taking away” said the Chief Executive of the Shellfish Association of Great Britain", "A report of the impact of Brexit on the fishing industry suggested Brexit will cause the industry to have lost over £300 million by 2026", "In 2009, the Welsh Mussel industry exported 14,000 metric tons; in 2022 they managed just 5 (five)", "What fishing industry? We’ve completely lost it. The industry is practically gone and is on its last legs.”

UK Fishing Industry Reports Brexit Woes"
"Brexit was welcomed by many in the UK fishing industry, but overwhelmingly it is now a cause for anger and disappointment", "As well as the issue of quotas for wild-catch fisheries, the report finds, the UK’s seafood industry has been struggling with increased paperwork for exports to the European Union and labour shortages following new restrictions on recruiting staff from the EU".

"Four years on, Brexit continues to undermine segments of UK seafood industry"
"Recent estimates from Scotland’s salmon sector put additional post-Brexit bereaucratic costs at around GBP 12 million (USD 15.3 million, EUR 14.1 million) than the sector would have otherwise experienced ...", "For those attempting to navigate the unique challenges Brexit has wrought on the U.K.'s seafood supply chain, that optimism has faded for many in the country’s seafood sector. Many continue to lament red tape complicating the export of many types of seafood to key overseas markets. If products do make it to Europe, they often incur significant additional costs. Brexit has also limited the number of foreign workers available for hire by U.K. processors, leaving them struggling to find sufficient numbers of employees to operate in a cost-effective manner"
four-years-on-brexit-continues-to-undermine-uk-seafood-industry

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Just thinking about Nigel Farage, as you do. He likes to tell us that he is a down to earth “man of the people.” How many people do you know who bank at Coutts?
Well to be fair, the bollock faced foghorn of ignorance doesnt bank there anymore either.
He’s about as far away from a man of the people as it’s possible to be. He went to Dulwich College and before he started his political grifting he worked as a stockbroker. He’s a con man. A snake oil salesman.

Reactions: 13
Reading the live blog for Reform’s manifesto launch is just mind boggling

What is this country and what does it stand for? What do they think young people think about this country that’s different from whatever they think Britain represents??

Good old Nigel, taking back control from those nasty Lefties, Wokerati and Gary Lineker!! 🫡🇬🇧
You forgot Carol Vorderman.
The contract is utter tosh isn’t it? Britain is broken and the economy is failing, says the man mostly responsible for breaking it and whose Brexit is costing the UK around £100 billion a year.

Im starting to think that Farage’s supporters must actively enjoy being lied to, unless they’re so delighted by the racism they don’t really care about anything else.

• Angry
Reactions: 15

---
Tried again on another, better phone. This time it wouldn't let me upload the picture at all. It just said file upload error.

I give up.

duck the the lot of them.
I registered this morning and it was very simple. I’m not sure how much more simple they could make it to be honest. I have posted a link to the guidance on uploading a photo. If you are still having trouble can you contact your council electoral services for help? Or ask a friend or even one of the local parties standing where you are may be able to assist?

Reactions: 2
I met Farage when I was working as a runner (i.e. the lowest of the low position) on the BBC Politics Show South East. He was friendly and polite to me. Shame his politics are an abomination.

Reactions: 2
Reading the live blog for Reform’s manifesto launch is just mind boggling

What is this country and what does it stand for? What do they think young people think about this country that’s different from whatever they think Britain represents??
Have you ever read any of the 'Biggles' books? I always get the impression that these UKIP / Reform types are captive to that mythical time where everyone inherently knew their place, that men were men and women were subservient or absent, British icons were all unquestionably heroic, "The British Empire" was an unequivocally 'good thing' (and never let it be said otherwise) and the idea of equality was an anathema because there was no situation that could not be improved by the presence of a British man especially if it involved putting somebody, preferably an inferior foreigner in their place.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Reform's 'contract' is not to be taken seriously

Carl Emmerson, deputy director at the Institute for Fiscal Studies, said: “Reform UK proposes tax cuts that it estimates would cost nearly £90 billion per year, and spending increases of £50 billion per year. It claims that it would pay for these through £150 billion per year of reductions in other spending, covering public services, debt interest and working-age benefits.

This would represent a big cut to the size of the state. Regardless of the pros and cons of shrinking the state, or of any of their specific measures, the package as a whole is problematic.

Even with the extremely optimistic assumptions about how much economic growth would increase, the sums in this manifesto do not add up.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.