UK General Election 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Almost feel a bit sorry for that kid because where did he pick up that attitude? Either his parents saying stuff like that at home, or the kids at the expensive school, or both. Imagine either training your child to be such a rotten snob or knowing you've paid for them to turn out that way. Mortifying failure of parenting.
New money, Hyacinth Bucket types more than likely. Always worse snobs than the old wealth/aristocrats/gentry types who happily send their kids to the village primary until they get to secondary age.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I tend to think we should have one age of majority/adulthood and stick with it. I keep seeing gen z types argue that they should be treated as children effectively until they are 25 as thatā€™s when brains develop fully. At the same time they want high paid jobs and responsibility. I donā€™t mind if itā€™s itā€™s 16 but then weā€™ve decided thatā€™s the adult age

Reactions: 4
Re: voting age, if there is a lower limit should there be an upper limit as well? It's weird that we don't let a 16 year old vote if they're in full time employment and contributing to society yet a 78 year old with dementia who no longer knows how to put their shoes on can.

Reactions: 8
I donā€™t really agree with an upper limit as many older people remain very mentally alert. I think we get into dangerous territory if we start deciding whoā€™s competent to vote or not but Iā€™m going to check on the rules re learning disabilities as this is gap in my knowledge. I think we can agree ā€˜childrenā€™ shouldnā€™t vote but we need to decide the boundary here

EDIT: I donā€™t agree with Labour pledge to make members of the House of Lords step down at 80 but Iā€™m glad theyā€™re not abolishing/replacing it

If any party change voting to 16 will they also change the school leaving age, smoking, alcohol, gambling, obtaining credit etc?

Reactions: 7
Re: voting age, if there is a lower limit should there be an upper limit as well? It's weird that we don't let a 16 year old vote if they're in full time employment and contributing to society yet a 78 year old with dementia who no longer knows how to put their shoes on can.
My Grandma is 99 god bless her, but she does not remember what she ate an hour ago (always mince and potatoes with pudding and custard if you ask, this can be even when itā€™s been something as exotic as pizza!)

Donā€™t want to stop her voting tho (I say that because fortunately she always votes Labour, itā€™s the diet of mince and potato that does it)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I donā€™t really agree with an upper limit as many older people remain very mentally alert. I think we get into dangerous territory if we start deciding whoā€™s competent to vote or not but Iā€™m going to check on the rules re learning disabilities as this is gap in my knowledge. I think we can agree ā€˜childrenā€™ shouldnā€™t vote but we need to decide the boundary here

EDIT: I donā€™t agree with Labour pledge to make members of the House of Lords step down at 80 but Iā€™m glad theyā€™re not abolishing/replacing it
A 16 year old can legally have sex and produce a child. How do you define a ā€œchildā€? People used to marry at 14 and lower.
I quite like the idea of giving people aged 16 the vote if it encourages schools to teach them about issues that they need to beware of when they leave education.
I am sure that there are many 16 year old who can make well informed decisions when it comes to casting a vote and many adults who canā€™t.

If 16 year olds can't vote or be charged as an adult, why do we allow them to work?

I don't think changing the voting age should mean any other distinction between children and adults needs to change too.

We already treat them like halfway between kids and adults and many policies will directly affect them. They should be able to have a say. Parents rightfully vote based on what might impact their small children, so why can't young adults who are contributing to society vote on what impacts them?

In many ways, we already expect them to have some form of independence so it shouldn't be left to people just 2 years older to decide how their lives are shaped.

Iā€™m not against votes at 16, just that we should decide thatā€™s adulthood for other things as well. I donā€™t see why it depends on it being taught in school. Itā€™s one of my bugbears that many people seem to think if something isnā€™t ā€˜taught in schoolā€™ then how could they possibly be expected to know it

EDIT: also it feels a bit obvious that some of this is coming from a position that the young vote left (good) and the old vote right (bad) which Iā€™m not a fan of

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
No way am I voting for anybody talking about letting 16 year olds vote, until they're first talking about making the age of criminal responsibility 16 as well.

If they're responsible enough to vote at 16 then they're responsible enough to be tried as an adult when they're carrying knives around etc.
---

lol that just means they couldn't be arsed to properly investigate and prosecute for electoral fraud. Doesn't mean it's not happening!
The age of criminal responsibility in England, NI and Wales is 10. So I'm guessing you're okay with 10 year olds having the vote then?

Reactions: 3
Iā€™m not against votes at 16, just that we should decide thatā€™s adulthood for other things as well. I donā€™t see why it depends on it being taught in school. Itā€™s one of my bugbears that many people seem to think if something isnā€™t ā€˜taught in schoolā€™ then how could they possibly be expected to know it

EDIT: also it feels a bit obvious that some of this is coming from a position that the young vote left (good) and the old vote right (bad) which Iā€™m not a fan of
The arguement is that 16 year old donā€™t know much about what goes on in the big bad world so surely it makes sense to teach them more about mortgages, domestic finance, political theory etc?
As for younger people more likely to vote Labour, we have an aging population and we are told that older people are more likely to vote Tory. Hypothetically that would balance out.
I havenā€™t heard Labourā€™s argument yet but, knowing a few 15 year olds I would worry about them voting soon! If they want to lower it why not 17? Not quite as radical but still ticks a box.
I remember when the voting age was 21. I also remember how clueless I was back when I was 21! šŸ˜œ

Hereā€™s a (non-serious) suggestion. If, when you ask someone who they are going to vote for, they no longer answer with ā€˜well, my dad votes for xā€™, then theyā€™re old enough to vote

• Haha
Hereā€™s a (non-serious) suggestion. If, when you ask someone who they are going to vote for, they no longer answer with ā€˜well, my dad votes for xā€™, then theyā€™re old enough to vote
My dad has voted precisely once, in 1983, 3 years before I was born, so I'm not sure that would help in my case šŸ˜…

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.