UK General Election 2024 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"Alexa, show me what somebody involved in Tory Sleaze might look like"

1718256151607.png

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Give it three years when everyone hates Labour, as this is the inevitable way of things, Starmer’s my father was a Toolmaker lament will be the most meme ready statement ever uttered by a politician. I can see them now, hospital maternity ward picture, proud father holds baby with Kiers face superimposed on it. Remember you heard it here first.

For a supposedly intelligent man of the people he seems blissfully aware of the many, less than complimentary meanings that can be attributed to the word tool.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
You know, back in the day, I used to think that most people wanted the same for their fellow citizens: decent housing, enough money to heat and eat, jobs that provided a satisfactory income, a working NHS etc etc. The basics of life in a 1st world country.

I used to think that different political parties wanted the same things, just varied in their approach to delivering them.

How naive I was. I think with the exception of the Tories, parties still want all these things. The Tories however, want to divide in order to conquer, to set people against each other, generation against generation, rich against poor. I can see nothing in their glitzy new 'plans' which will make anything better for the 'little people', and if they can do all these things why haven't they been doing them for the last 14 years?

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I know from experience that a large group of people don’t want everyone to be comfortable. There is a huge number of people that want the poor to be visibly and demonstrably ‘poor’ because that’s what they think is deserved. They also can’t feel better off if the poor are doing ok. If you end up on the same holiday as a chav that’s a disaster. Why can this poor person afford a car? New shoes? This is what’s behind a lot of the private school tax issue. If all schools were good then wealthy parents are less able to buy advantage for their children via private school or the postcode privilege. They don’t want this. It’s a cop out to say ‘tories’ are bad when it’s a large section of society that is anti progressive. Same as blaming ‘social media’ for societal ills. It’s the general public who use social media who are (not always) creating the content/expresing their views. Just like we are here

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Did the Sunak family live above their pharmacy when Rishi was a child? Because on pictures of the building there is an old looking satellite dish.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Did the Sunak family live above their pharmacy when Rishi was a child? Because on pictures of the building there is an old looking satellite dish.
I doubt it, it's a very small building. The pharmacy fits about 3 people before you have to stand chest to chest. (I pass it every day)

ETA, no they didn't live there:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I was listening to LBC yesterday and Shelagh Fogerty was discussing conviction politicians like Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair and i think this is Nigel Farage's appeal. He was on LBC today with Nick Ferrari and I think his biggest asset is that he talks with passion and conviction, something very lacking in both Starmer and Sunak.

Reactions: 4
I was listening to LBC yesterday and Shelagh Fogerty was discussing conviction politicians like Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair and i think this is Nigel Farage's appeal. He was on LBC today with Nick Ferrari and I think his biggest asset is that he talks with passion and conviction, something very lacking in both Starmer and Sunak.
I think he appeals to the populist vote. He can trot out soundbites that some might find very appealing but he will never be in the position where he's running the country and held accountable for what he says.

Reactions: 8
I think he appeals to the populist vote. He can trot out soundbites that some might find very appealing but he will never be in the position where he's running the country and held accountable for what he says.
I agree. Can't stand Farage myself but I see who he appeals to. He'd crap himself if he ever got into a position of real power. That's why it's all bollocks about him joining and leading the Conservatives. He likes being a big fish in a small pond.

Reactions: 9
Fairly certain that it’s not so long ago we were all saying this about Johnson.

Even if Reform don’t get enough seats to be a force, I could see him crossing the floor and leading the Tory revolt that way

Reactions: 1

Even if Reform don’t get enough seats to be a force, I could see him crossing the floor and leading the Tory revolt that way
Not going to happen IMO. He'd have to be a real politician then.

Reactions: 8

I think everyone knew Johnson was going to get in ahead of Corbyn. He might have been a complete clown but I don't think people doubted he'd be PM.

Farage lost to a dolphin.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Even if Reform don’t get enough seats to be a force,
I got a Reform flyer through my door yesterday. It was for the candidate in the neighbouring Constituancy 🙄, and I'm not even on the border! If they can't even deliver the correct flyers in the right area then how would they ever run a government!!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I agree. Can't stand Farage myself but I see who he appeals to. He'd crap himself if he ever got into a position of real power. That's why it's all bollocks about him joining and leading the Conservatives. He likes being a big fish in a small pond.
He is the face of Brexit - it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for him. He's the reason why the Tories chose to go even further right wing, or rather show their true colours.

Consequently he has more power than people think. Ultimately though, he gets off on stirring tit up and prefers that role as opposed to an actual position of power.

Reactions: 9
Are we listening to the same Nigel Farage? Every time he opens his mouth all I hear is a warthog being pushed through a blender.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
He is the face of Brexit - it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for him. He's the reason why the Tories chose to go even further right wing, or rather show their true colours.

Consequently he has more power than people think. Ultimately though, he gets off on stirring tit up and prefers that role as opposed to an actual position of power.
Whoever funds him has a lot of power

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.