TTC and feeling jealous of pregnant women ☹️

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Got my period on Friday. Felt a bit disappointed but at least I know where I am now in terms of cycles. Have ordered some OPKs as want to know I am ovulating.
This is great news. Also bit of advice that someone else gave me. It’s known Day 14 before your period is due is supposedly day of ovulation for most women but it can vary so don’t get stuck on this information like I did! I have a really short cycle and this friend said she did also and after months of trying she realised she was ovulating days before day 14. I am now pregnant and it turns out I got caught days after a period, which is very unusual but not impossible.

Reactions: 1
This is great news. Also bit of advice that someone else gave me. It’s known Day 14 before your period is due is supposedly day of ovulation for most women but it can vary so don’t get stuck on this information like I did! I have a really short cycle and this friend said she did also and after months of trying she realised she was ovulating days before day 14. I am now pregnant and it turns out I got caught days after a period, which is very unusual but not impossible.
Yeah i know my cycles going to be weird since having a coil removed to easily so I think i'll just used OPKs from when my period stops and see where I get to!

Totally relate, currently been TTC for around 15 months and feel so down. One of my friends has only been with her boyfriend a couple of months and is already pregnant and I feel so incredibly jealous. It’s not as though I wish she wasn’t pregnant, because I’m happy for her, I just wish I was too.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Long time lurker, first time poster here so hopefully I do this right.

I know how you feel Spencerskates. I went through the same thing. We had been TTC for a year and a close relative fell pregnant unexpectedly. All I could think was ‘why couldn’t that be me’. I felt like it was never going to happen for us. Luckily we did get pregnant. Fast forward 3 years we have a healthy 2 year old daughter.

I hope that you get your turn and you have a healthy child.

• Heart
Not currently in the same situation, but oh my I have been in the past and my heart goes out to all of you feeling despondent about pregnancy at the minute. Back story for me, I’m very lucky to have 3 kids 🥰 I suffered a miscarriage after 6 months of trying for my first and was so jealous of every pregnant woman I saw. I distinctly remember two months after my mc a colleague announced her pregnancy and I sobbed. Took another 4 months to get pregnant with my eldest daughter, and I felt that awful gut wrench every time I saw a pregnant woman.

same with no 3 - took about 6 months and the same jealousy of all pregnant women.

So just to send love to all those feeling down. It’s absolutely normal to feel that way, don’t try and fight it Or think it makes you an awful person. And I hope your time comes soon xx

I'm not even in a relationship now, but I honestly have felt pangs of jealousy too when I saw a photo of someone I didn't even know was pregnant post a photo of her 6th newborn child. I never used to feel it so strongly, but something just changed in me and I too have got babies on the brain. I look up children's clothing, have a pintrest board for nursery decor and prints, have a amazon wish list for toys and books. Actually even have had a few dreams about being pregnant .

Wishing you all the best.

We have been trying for four years, with no health care professionals taking us seriously because of medical condition. Yesterday we saw a geneticist and discussed the possible passing on of my condition which is 50/50 we then found out our DNA shows we now al have a chance of having a 1 in 4 chance of having a child with cystic fibrosis, we are looking to have IVF with some testing of embryos in the next 6 months where we need to prioritise which condition to test for.

Last night we made the heartbreaking decision to stop TTC Naturally, even though we would love our future child no matter what we just want them to have the best life possible.

however on this same day my friend panics about possibly being pregnant & comes to my house to do tests (unplanned pregnancy scare) all negative tests but then , her sister then announces a pregnancy as does my sister and 2 other people I work with.
im overwhelmed, I am lonely and I’m sad

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
We have been trying for four years, with no health care professionals taking us seriously because of medical condition. Yesterday we saw a geneticist and discussed the possible passing on of my condition which is 50/50 we then found out our DNA shows we now al have a chance of having a 1 in 4 chance of having a child with cystic fibrosis, we are looking to have IVF with some testing of embryos in the next 6 months where we need to prioritise which condition to test for.

Last night we made the heartbreaking decision to stop TTC Naturally, even though we would love our future child no matter what we just want them to have the best life possible.

however on this same day my friend panics about possibly being pregnant & comes to my house to do tests (unplanned pregnancy scare) all negative tests but then , her sister then announces a pregnancy as does my sister and 2 other people I work with.
I am so sorry to hear about the incredibly tough journey you are on. Your strength is amazing, you are one exceptional lady. It’s no wonder you feel lonely and sad today having heard so many announcements at the same time you decide to stop ttc yourselves. That must be very difficult to hear. Sending you all the very best for the next steps in your journey.

• Heart

So sorry to hear this lovely.
We also did pgd Cos my husband has neurofibromotosis and it was 50/50 chance of our child having a genetic disorder.
we didn’t even try, we just went straight into pgd Cos the wait is long on the nhs.
If you have any questions about pgd just message xx

• Heart
We’ve decided to take a break from TTC. I’m only in my 20’s so want to enjoy this time as much as possible. It would be lovely to conceive naturally but we’re going to wait a few years before the emotional strain of assisted conception happens. If we fall naturally then that will be great, albeit unlikely. I’ve really come to peace with my decision now ☺

We tried to conceive for 3 years, and never had any explanation for our medical diagnosis of "undiagnosed fertility". In that time, I worked on a daily basis with parents who were at risk of having their children removed from their care due to allegations of neglect, and all types of abuse. The mothers who had baby after baby after baby removed, were the hardest ones to be around. As were drug using parents with new borns; all I could ask was how could an anorexic heroin addict get pregnant, with all the abuse she had done to her body, when I couldn't? My friends seemed to sneeze and fall pregnant. Every gathering with friends was bitter sweet while they talked about their little ones, and celebrated their news. I was happy for them, but distraught for me. I left one gathering, and cried the whole 6 hour journey home on the train. My friends knew I was sad but they didn't know how to help me and, in truth, they couldnt.
I now have a two year old child after successfully conceiving through IVF. Conceiving, and now having a child, still feels like a total miracle. I still struggle now to think about the pain that we went through to have our child. TTC was so emotionally traumatic that we decided we weren't going to try for a second. I couldn't take the heartbreak each month. I simply couldn't go through that trauma again.
We have recently discovered we are expecting another child. Conceived entirely naturally, entirely accidentally, and it still doesn't really seem real.
I guess I'm posting this long ramble, because it always helped me to read that IVF did work for people, that babies do arrive after years of heartbreak, that miracles do happen. I know how bleak it can all feel but there are some amazing stories of people conceiving after many years, and I think it helped me to hold on to those. My friend recently had her daughter after 3 years of TTC and a third and final attempt at IVF.
Good luck to anyone who this rings a bell with. And one last thing I will say....it hurt me more when I refused to tell my friends what was going on with me. The minute I opened up to them, everything hurt that little bit less and became that little bit more bearable.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Quick question: my period usually starts quite late at night (so it’s currently 8:30pm and I’ve got what’s somewhere between heavy spotting and a light flow), and I never know if I should count that as CD1, or wait until tomorrow, which should be my first full day of an actual bleed?

Quick question: my period usually starts quite late at night (so it’s currently 8:30pm and I’ve got what’s somewhere between heavy spotting and a light flow), and I never know if I should count that as CD1, or wait until tomorrow, which should be my first full day of an actual bleed?
I would say that’s CD1.

I would say that’s CD1.
Thank you. I also hear mixed reports about when is best to conceive: obviously the day of/immediately before and after ovulation is best, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you ovulate the day of the positive ovulation test, right? I think some of my calculations might be a bit out!
I usually have a 30(ish) day cycle and if I’m going to get a positive ovulation test it’s usually either day 15 or 16. We’ve previously been trying to time sex for days 12/13 and then the day I get the positive test, but would I be better moving forward a day? My partner’s sperm mobility is a little low for where it should be, so as close to actual ovulation is probably our best chance.

Thank you. I also hear mixed reports about when is best to conceive: obviously the day of/immediately before and after ovulation is best, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you ovulate the day of the positive ovulation test, right? I think some of my calculations might be a bit out!
I usually have a 30(ish) day cycle and if I’m going to get a positive ovulation test it’s usually either day 15 or 16. We’ve previously been trying to time sex for days 12/13 and then the day I get the positive test, but would I be better moving forward a day? My partner’s sperm mobility is a little low for where it should be, so as close to actual ovulation is probably our best chance.
That’s exactly right.

I have a 23 day cycle and got caught on day 12. I think I had been missing the time so to speak so many times now because I’d been aiming for day 14 for ages. In the end we just threw out the ovulation test and decided to do it every other day or third day.
The best days are naturally the days leading up to ovulation and it is advised to have sex every other day so maybe day 11, 13 and 15 that would give you three chances then? It only takes once. Good luck!

I’ve used OPKs a lot, and what I’ve always understood is that you get your positive about 12-24hrs before you release the egg, and it’s then viable for 24hrs more. So from time of the positive the maximum time afterwards to conceive is 48hrs.

In the past I used the “sperm meet egg” plan which I read about years ago. Basically sex every other day after your period ends, and then when you get your positive opk it’s two days in a row. Who knows if that works though! My first was conceived using SMEP but could have been coincidence. With our third we always started daily sex when the opk started to get darker.

should add my cycles are extremely irregular (28 days up to 70 days) so we really haven’t a clue unless we use opk and follow a bit of a plan.

Reactions: 2
I’ve used OPKs a lot, and what I’ve always understood is that you get your positive about 12-24hrs before you release the egg, and it’s then viable for 24hrs more. So from time of the positive the maximum time afterwards to conceive is 48hrs.

In the past I used the “sperm meet egg” plan which I read about years ago. Basically sex every other day after your period ends, and then when you get your positive opk it’s two days in a row. Who knows if that works though! My first was conceived using SMEP but could have been coincidence. With our third we always started daily sex when the opk started to get darker.

should add my cycles are extremely irregular (28 days up to 70 days) so we really haven’t a clue unless we use opk and follow a bit of a plan.
Yes! While the ovulation tests certainly have their value and place I was also told this - have sex every other day as sperm can live in the female body for a few days so don’t rule out several days before ovulation!

Yes! While the ovulation tests certainly have their value and place I was also told this - have sex every other day as sperm can live in the female body for a few days so days before ovulation!
Which is entirely gross really -they are just in there... wiggling about 🤣🤣🤣

Ttc is such an unsexy business when it gets down to all the planning, isn’t it? I remember my husband once saying “again? But I’m so tired!” 🤣

• Haha
Which is entirely gross really -they are just in there... wiggling about 🤣🤣🤣

Ttc is such an unsexy business when it gets down to all the planning, isn’t it? I remember my husband once saying “again? But I’m so tired!” 🤣
Same. I couldn’t believe mine was saying that, never thought I’d see the day but joking aside you have to try and make it fun and not just a mission. So so difficult as it’s all you can think about.

I would be keen to try for another, but not sure I can take the months, or longer, of uncertainty again. Got to weigh it up carefully as, like you say, it becomes all I can think about, all consuming. Even though I know I’m so lucky to have the kids I have, very thankful for them

Reactions: 2