True ghost stories šŸ‘»

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have similar to someone who posted a bit further back... when I was around 9 or ten I woke in the middle of the night through hearing heavy rain. I sensed someone sitting on my bed. I turned to see an elderly woman sitting smiling at me. I felt afraid but not terrified. I turned and covered my head thinking I must be dreaming yet i could hear the rain outside so plainly. Told my mum the next day. She said it was a dream. Fast forward a few months we were looking through old photo albums when I seen a pic of the woman. I told my mum and she explained that was my great grandmother who died shortly before I was born.

That same year I got a cabin bed so I was sleeping up high. I woke to see a man with a black face in a black suit staring at me. Again I thought I was dreaming until he slapped me hard across the face. Then he disappeared. The next day I overheard my mum telling my dad that I had the exact same dream as my uncle had had. Now that was terrifying.

I never settled into our current house. We've been here 5 years and its been an awful 5 years with general unhappiness in our family. I cant put my finger on anything in particular just an awful dark scary feeling particularly in the upstairs bathroom. I've never seen or heard anything apart from one day I was hoovering upstairs and had music blaring. When I was in that bathroom I heard an almighty loud voice roar 'get out'. I was convinced it was someone outside but had a look and not a single person on the street. We put the house up for sale and ever since havnt felt the presence. I think 'its' glad we are leaving.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
I have similar to someone who posted a bit further back... when I was around 9 or ten I woke in the middle of the night through hearing heavy rain. I sensed someone sitting on my bed. I turned to see an elderly woman sitting smiling at me. I felt afraid but not terrified. I turned and covered my head thinking I must be dreaming yet i could hear the rain outside so plainly. Told my mum the next day. She said it was a dream. Fast forward a few months we were looking through old photo albums when I seen a pic of the woman. I told my mum and she explained that was my great grandmother who died shortly before I was born.

That same year I got a cabin bed so I was sleeping up high. I woke to see a man with a black face in a black suit staring at me. Again I thought I was dreaming until he slapped me hard across the face. Then he disappeared. The next day I overheard my mum telling my dad that I had the exact same dream as my uncle had had. Now that was terrifying.

I never settled into our current house. We've been here 5 years and its been an awful 5 years with general unhappiness in our family. I cant put my finger on anything in particular just an awful dark scary feeling particularly in the upstairs bathroom. I've never seen or heard anything apart from one day I was hoovering upstairs and had music blaring. When I was in that bathroom I heard an almighty loud voice roar 'get out'. I was convinced it was someone outside but had a look and not a single person on the street. We put the house up for sale and ever since havnt felt the presence. I think 'its' glad we are leaving.
I think it's quite comforting that your GGM came through to you although you didn't know at the time.

Also, it's horrible when you live in a house and it's oppressive and unbearable. It's supposed to be your home and "they" still think they rule the roost.

Reactions: 7
My grandparents house is definitely haunted. My grandparents, mum and auntie moved in there when my mum was 18. She quickly made friends at work and would regularly go for nights out in town at weekends. Often she would come home in the early hours and my Nan would come downstairs when she heard her come in. Many times they would be standing in the middle of the hallway feeling like they were in the middle of a noisy pub. People laughing, chatting, glasses clanging, constant hum of music etc.
Anyway fast forward on a few years, my mum had just started dating my dad and one weekend my grandparents were away on holiday and my dad stayed over at the house. In the early hours my mum woke up to what she thought was my dad being sick all over the landing carpet. The figure threw up at least three times. She sat up and said ā€˜Youā€™ll have to clean that up properly in the morning, Mum will go madā€. She then remembers laying down and smelling a strong scent of sick and alcohol before she fell asleep. The next morning she woke up and said to my Dad ā€œI hope youā€™ve cleaned all that sick upā€. My Dad laughed and said he hasnā€™t been sick at all.
My Nan recently told me she woke up a few years ago to some sort of demonic creature, in a hunched position with its teeth out and and an angry expression on its face, at the side of her bed. She put her head under the duvet and closed her eyes, but moments later when she poked her head back out it was still there. She felt like it was challenging her. She sat up and then it moved backwards and disappeared into the wardrobe. Very scary! Iā€™ve got a few more tales that Iā€™ll put up later.

• Wow
Reactions: 30
My grandparents house is definitely haunted. My grandparents, mum and auntie moved in there when my mum was 18. She quickly made friends at work and would regularly go for nights out in town at weekends. Often she would come home in the early hours and my Nan would come downstairs when she heard her come in. Many times they would be standing in the middle of the hallway feeling like they were in the middle of a noisy pub. People laughing, chatting, glasses clanging, constant hum of music etc.
Anyway fast forward on a few years, my mum had just started dating my dad and one weekend my grandparents were away on holiday and my dad stayed over at the house. In the early hours my mum woke up to what she thought was my dad being sick all over the landing carpet. The figure threw up at least three times. She sat up and said ā€˜Youā€™ll have to clean that up properly in the morning, Mum will go madā€. She then remembers laying down and smelling a strong scent of sick and alcohol before she fell asleep. The next morning she woke up and said to my Dad ā€œI hope youā€™ve cleaned all that sick upā€. My Dad laughed and said he hasnā€™t been sick at all.
My Nan recently told me she woke up a few years ago to some sort of demonic creature, in a hunched position with its teeth out and and an angry expression on its face, at the side of her bed. She put her head under the duvet and closed her eyes, but moments later when she poked her head back out it was still there. She felt like it was challenging her. She sat up and then it moved backwards and disappeared into the wardrobe. Very scary! Iā€™ve got a few more tales that Iā€™ll put up later.
Wow a ghost being sick? That's the first I've ever heard. I would love to find out the history of the grounds of that place. I guarantee a pub used to be there.

Please post the rest!

Reactions: 10
Wow a ghost being sick? That's the first I've ever heard. I would love to find out the history of the grounds of that place. I guarantee a pub used to be there.

Please post the rest!
Iā€™ve always thought it could have been a pub! Iā€™m going to do some research :)

Reactions: 6
My granddad was a funeral director, the same as his dad, granddad etc. He always wore a black pin stripe suit and called us all ā€˜cockbirdā€™ as a term of endearment which Iā€™d never heard anyone else say.

He died in 2003 and is intensely missed, anyway I digress!

When my son was about 5 we walked down to my mums which is about a mile away, as we walked down a street named ā€˜Cowpin Roadā€™ my son started to giggle, pointing towards the closed front door of a terraced house and said ā€˜hiya cockbirdā€™ whilst waving and smiling. I asked him who he was talking to but he never responded he just said ā€˜aww mummy thatā€™s sad, that Mister is taking the lady to heavenā€™.

As we walked further on down the street I asked him who he had said ā€˜hiya cockbirdā€™ to, he just told me he was saying hello to the manā€™. I asked him what the man was wearing and he said a posh black jacket and trousers.

The week after, in the local papers ā€˜births, deaths etcā€™ part there was an obituary for an old lady who had died on Cowpin Road on the exact day we had walked down there.

I am convinced that my son was having a conversation with his great granddad that morning and I really hope he was!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
Honestly got chills reading the last few. I move into my new house within the next month and now thinking I hope nothing follows me from this one we live in now!

Reactions: 8
Honestly got chills reading the last few. I move into my new house within the next month and now thinking I hope nothing follows me from this one we live in now!
I'm exactly the same. Said to my friend a few days ago I cant wait to move to get rid of this spirit and she said sure itll just follow you. I've always been able to feel things all my life but this house is different. I'm sure the spirit here wants me out so he can live in peace. I hope so!

Reactions: 5
I'm exactly the same. Said to my friend a few days ago I cant wait to move to get rid of this spirit and she said sure itll just follow you. I've always been able to feel things all my life but this house is different. I'm sure the spirit here wants me out so he can live in peace. I hope so!
Iā€™d be the new neighbour sat outside rocking on the roadside if anything says hello to me in the new place šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Was there actually sick on the landing in the morning?? Or none there? šŸ˜® thatā€™s insane. Ghost sick?! šŸ˜£

Reactions: 4
Was there actually sick on the landing in the morning?? Or none there? šŸ˜® thatā€™s insane. Ghost sick?! šŸ˜£
No not sick there at all! Just so strange as she could smell sick and alcohol strongly before going back to sleep.

I love reading ghost stories, I found some good ones when Mumsnet came up on a Google search of them;

The first is from a family member who worked for the fire service for a long time before retiring, and they aren't particularly spiritual/believe in ghosts etc. Anyhow, he's on nights and his team get dispatched to an incident which turns out to be a false alarm. Kids just messing about, but they check it out and jump back onto the fire engine to head back to base. On their way back quite some distance they get flagged down by a distressed woman in a nightdress who begs them for help as her house is on fire with her children trapped inside. She runs ahead leading them down a pretty sparse residential area. The call comes in on the radio that there's a fire close to their location, by now they have the sirens wailing. The woman eventually leads them to the house in question and breaks into hysterical sobs outside shouting 'please save my babies!'. My family member and his team have to barge the door in, fight their way upstairs and in the only room they can access they find two terrified children huddled together. Outside it's chaos, a crowd has gathered as well as backup so the children get swept off to get medical attention whilst the team deals with the fire. Eventually when it's out and everyone's more dispersed, some time later they are able to get back into the property to assess the damage. In the second bedroom they find the body of a woman tucked up so tightly in bed she couldn't have moved, and must never have woken up as the fire was spreading. The children lived in their house with their mother, who matched the description of the woman who asked the fire men to save her babies. Sent a chill right down his spine and he's never forgotten it.

There are some others I liked, such as the story about the ghostly car who people were reporting crashed into a stretch of motorway, the police came and looked and found a car hidden in the undergrowth months old with someone deceased in it.

Also someone's boyfriend who is travelling up the motorway to visit her at uni and spots a girl in the back in a pinafore and pigtails with the seatbelt on. Then, the car doesn't work properly and they hear banging noises in the back passenger door. They take the car to a mechanic who says that the car was involved in an accident once.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
Iā€™ll
I love reading ghost stories, I found some good ones when Mumsnet came up on a Google search of them;

The first is from a family member who worked for the fire service for a long time before retiring, and they aren't particularly spiritual/believe in ghosts etc. Anyhow, he's on nights and his team get dispatched to an incident which turns out to be a false alarm. Kids just messing about, but they check it out and jump back onto the fire engine to head back to base. On their way back quite some distance they get flagged down by a distressed woman in a nightdress who begs them for help as her house is on fire with her children trapped inside. She runs ahead leading them down a pretty sparse residential area. The call comes in on the radio that there's a fire close to their location, by now they have the sirens wailing. The woman eventually leads them to the house in question and breaks into hysterical sobs outside shouting 'please save my babies!'. My family member and his team have to barge the door in, fight their way upstairs and in the only room they can access they find two terrified children huddled together. Outside it's chaos, a crowd has gathered as well as backup so the children get swept off to get medical attention whilst the team deals with the fire. Eventually when it's out and everyone's more dispersed, some time later they are able to get back into the property to assess the damage. In the second bedroom they find the body of a woman tucked up so tightly in bed she couldn't have moved, and must never have woken up as the fire was spreading. The children lived in their house with their mother, who matched the description of the woman who asked the fire men to save her babies. Sent a chill right down his spine and he's never forgotten it.

There are some others I liked, such as the story about the ghostly car who people were reporting crashed into a stretch of motorway, the police came and looked and found a car hidden in the undergrowth months old with someone deceased in it.

Also someone's boyfriend who is travelling up the motorway to visit her at uni and spots a girl in the back in a pinafore and pigtails with the seatbelt on. Then, the car doesn't work properly and they hear banging noises in the back passenger door. They take the car to a mechanic who says that the car was involved in an accident once.
That fireman one gave me chills.

Reactions: 18
Mine aren't quite as intense as some of these...

My dad lives in a bungalow - theres a long corridor from the front door to the living room, and the kitchen and bathroom both lead off from said corridor - you have to walk past the kitchen to get to the bathroom. Anyway, ALL of us regularly see a 'figure' out the corner of our eye walking to the bathroom when we're in the kitchen - in fact, the number of times one of will wait cross legged in the kitchen or living room because we could swear blind one of us is in the bathroom!

My dad in particular has had some more solid experiences. One morning my sister woke up and wandered into the living room to say good morning to my dad, who was drinking his morning coffee on the sofa. He looked confused, and said 'I just said morning to you a minute ago'. My sister said she'd been asleep in her room & just got up, and my dad said 'No you came out of your room, walked across the living room and went down to the bathroom - I said morning to you then.' My sister swore she hadn't left her room.

Another time, my dad pulled into the drive after work, he looked through the kitchen window and saw a figure he assumed was my sister from behind (young girl with long dark hair) looking into the open fridge, before shutting it & leaving the kitchen. He went into the house and found my sister in her bedroom. He said 'did you find a snack? If not I can make you something' - my sister was confused, so my dad explained he saw her 'raiding the fridge'. She said she hadn't been in the kitchen, she was studying in her room the whole time.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Mine aren't quite as intense as some of these...

My dad lives in a bungalow - theres a long corridor from the front door to the living room, and the kitchen and bathroom both lead off from said corridor - you have to walk past the kitchen to get to the bathroom. Anyway, ALL of us regularly see a 'figure' out the corner of our eye walking to the bathroom when we're in the kitchen - in fact, the number of times one of will wait cross legged in the kitchen or living room because we could swear blind one of us is in the bathroom!

My dad in particular has had some more solid experiences. One morning my sister woke up and wandered into the living room to say good morning to my dad, who was drinking his morning coffee on the sofa. He looked confused, and said 'I just said morning to you a minute ago'. My sister said she'd been asleep in her room & just got up, and my dad said 'No you came out of your room, walked across the living room and went down to the bathroom - I said morning to you then.' My sister swore she hadn't left her room.

Another time, my dad pulled into the drive after work, he looked through the kitchen window and saw a figure he assumed was my sister from behind (young girl with long dark hair) looking into the open fridge, before shutting it & leaving the kitchen. He went into the house and found my sister in her bedroom. He said 'did you find a snack? If not I can make you something' - my sister was confused, so my dad explained he saw her 'raiding the fridge'. She said she hadn't been in the kitchen, she was studying in her room the whole time.
That's still scary, especially for your dad and sister living in a home with a girl looking like she's out of the Grudge/Ring! šŸ˜¬

• Haha
I've got a couple of stories. I were on the fence about posting but f it.

A friend went for a walk in the countryside one day with their dog. Friend saw a bloke walking towards them but obviously at a distance unlike you would closerange such as a pavement. Friend assumes nothing of it and carries on walking the direction the blokes coming from when they cross paths, friend happens to look back and the bloke just vanished. No clue where he could of gone and no way for him to vanish in the mere seconds she had her back turned. Huge open field. Needless to say she was unnerved. The dog didn't act out of the ordinary but acknowledged the bloke like any dog would do. Bloke was apparently in hunting type clothing and wore gaiter type clothing on his feet/legs. Didn't look much out of the ordinary.

On to my stories.

Lived in a house a few years back where you heard footsteps often. It was rather unnerving when you're home alone and hear footsteps in other rooms around you. One night I was in bed and heard the footsteps come up the stairs slowly creaking. I was panicking thinking it was a burglar and wondering wtf to do. Then they proceed to my bedroom door (closed) and stop. No word of a lie the knob rattles and I'm shitless at this point and suddenly out of nowhere the whole house is silent. I didn't dare check but no noises after that. Nobody going back down the stairs or in to other rooms. All windows shut and doors locked. No way it could be a burglar.

Then I'd talk to my ex boyfriend between rooms and sometimes he would hear a woman's voice shouting back to him in a completely different room to the one I was in or even near.

We both have seen a few figures in that place including what we presume is the woman.

Another story is kind of similar to my friends in the sense of seeing someone looking back they're not there. The ex and I were driving along the road at night along a country lane. We both see a young lad in his late teens early twenties along the side of the road looking upset. Ex and I talk about the lad and I ask ex to pull over and see if he's okay and I look back turn around to see him and he's gone. It's a straight country lane and again there really wasn't any way for him to just vanish like that on us especially in his unhappy and drunken looking slumped walking state.

What I will say about ghosts or what ever people call them are how odd it is at the time they seem like you or I and you look back and have to accept you saw something.. Some one.. you cant account for.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I must have been 15 and was seeing someone who was 18 he still lived at home with his mum, dad & brother. they had built an extension on to the house and used that as their living room. in doing this they had a downstairs bathroom so I never really had much of a need to go upstairs in the beginning. As time went on and we had been dating a while I, of course stayed over ect and when I went upstairs I felt uneasy and very cold, even in the middle of summer. they had 2 little dogs who would stand at the bottom of the stairs and bark for no reason (dogs will be dogs sometimes) but the family went on holiday leaving us in the house to look after it and the dogs, my then bf went to work one night and left me alone and I started to hear footsteps on the stairs, I freaked out and grabbed the dogs and went out a walk and called him crying. I told him I wasn't going back in there myself to spend the night but I also knew I wasn't able to take the dogs anywhere with me. He came home from work in thee biggest mood I had ever soon and thought I was making it all up until he went to go up the stairs to is room when he was thrown back down them.....I only believe it since I seen it with my own eyes. we grabbed the dogs again and went to go stay with his aunt for the night. when his mum n dad came home they really did think we were at it until we were decorating the hall for them a couple of months later (I had moved in my then) we had started stripping the walls for them to be skimmed and painted. They were also redoing the stairs and started ripping them up. All of a sudden there was this perfectly crisp, white piece of paper at my feet that had been folded up, I thought it may have fallen out of someone's pocket so opened it to see what it was. I was horrified as I looked at it as it said "not your home" yes its not a threatening message but it really did freak me out so much so I was crying, his mum was shouting at everyone incase it was a joke and to own up to it and to stop the stupidity. I know it wouldn't have been my then bf, his brother was far too sweet to do it and his mum was far too mad for it to be her, his dad had been out too so wasn't him. The dogs still barked there every day until we broke up 2.5 years later and that part of the house was always still freezing cold. it was an ex council house too so wasn't that old. In the end, I was very glad to move out even tho I was sad we broke up!

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.