True ghost stories 👻

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Following on from the conspiracy theories thread, has anyone got any true ghost/paranormal stories they have encountered?

I don't want this thread to turn into a debate on if they are real or not, but if anyone has had any experiences I'd love to hear them

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
I used to work in a nursery and I was dealing with breakfast in the pre-school room. I had two children with me and the rest were outside with another member of staff. I gave the two I had a glass of milk each and then turned to put some plates in the sink and I heard in my ear "*my name* don't forget about me" I turned thinking another child had come in but noone was there and the other two were still happily drinking their milk!

My mum also had an experience as a kid. Her and her two siblings went to the local graveyard to be nosey as kids do. They circled the graveyard and then were stood by the only entrance talking. They looked up and saw two people dressed in Victorian style clothing standing over two graves. My mum and her sister freaked and ran and it wasn't till they got home they realised they'd left my uncle in the graveyard!

I guess both these stories could have explanations to them but they're both quite freaky in my eyes. 🙈

• Wow
Reactions: 53
A few years ago I went with my sister to look at a house that she was thinking of buying. It was a lovely old vicarage that had been built around the mid 1800’s.
The owner, who had lived there for many years had recently died and her son and his wife were showing us around.
It needed a lot of work and modernisation so my sister was making notes in an attempt to calculate an estimated cost. The son said just take your time and after the initial quick tour he stayed in the kitchen and left us to wander on our own.

Everything was fine and I can’t say that I felt anything strange to begin with but as we walked into what had been the master bedroom I thought I saw a blurry movement behind me in the dressing table mirror.
I looked at my sister but she was just writing in her little pad and obviously hadn’t seen anything. I thought it was my imagination so I just ignored it and never said a word to her.
A couple of minutes later we were stood by the old Victorian bedroom fireplace and my sister was talking about having it ripped out. I was arguing with her and telling her that only a chavy fool would take out something so beautiful.
As we were in the middle of this quite loud sisterly debate we both heard a woman’s voice say “Sssh, you will not” We both looked around towards the bedroom door, assuming that the son’s wife had come in and heard us talking about the renovations.

The door was still wide open just as we had left it when we walked in and there was nobody else in sight. We looked at each other and made a swift exit down the stairs. We never said anything about it to the couple as they were both happily sorting out the kitchen cupboards and drinking tea.

Back at my sister’s house we talked about nothing else all afternoon and had a good few glasses of wine. We had both heard the exact same words and I thought it was the previous owner telling my sister to leave her house alone. She thought it was our mum, who had died a few years before, telling us off for arguing.🤷🏻‍♀️

She didn’t buy the house and it is now a private nursing home. I still think about it every time I drive past the house on the way to visit my family.
We have never been able to come up with a rational explanation for what happened that day and it does make you wonder if the current residents have ever seen or heard anything strange.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 73
My partners parents live in a really old Victorian house with their younger children, it's massive with 7 bedrooms over 3 floors. We stayed there and house/dog sat while they were in Australia for 3 weeks. One evening I arrived there before my boyfriend, I popped some tea in the oven and went upstairs with the dog (top floor) to get changed (the house has always creeped me out so if I'm alone I make the dog stay with me🤣). I noticed that the outside light came on so assumed by boyfriend had parked at the top of the lane and walked down which is the norm to do.
The front door opened, I heard him walk up the stairs (big thumping footsteps, like he was dragging himself up the stairs) but he went into the master bedroom on the second floor which was weird. I called down to him but no answers. I stood at the top of the stairs and shouted down again but no answer. I walked down and pushed open the master bedroom door which was ajar and the room was empty. I stepped inside and it was ridiculously cold in there, like see your breath cold, despite being winter and the underfloor heating being on all afternoon.

I got seriously freaked out and buggered off downstairs into the kitchen with the dog. I sat on the sofa's at the front of the kitchen in front of the patio doors. It was really dark outside but I could just about make out the garden. I kept getting that horrible tingling feeling up my back so I had a look out the glass doors and a man walked across the garden (he seemed to drag himself across it rather than walk). It was the most horrific thing I had ever seen, he literally looked twisted. The dog went absolutely mental, barking/screaming and scratching at the door. I was in hysterics and hid behind the kitchen counter with the dog until my bf got home. I made him go out and search the garden and he insisted that there was nothing there, even watched the CCTV back and couldn't see anyone come in or out of any of the entrances. I am absolutely sure it was something supernatural and he was in the house before.

I have tried to find some history on the house, all I know is that it was owned by a man whose son was the manager(??) of a clay mining pit, his legs were crushed in a freak accident and he died a few days later!! Horrific and I still have nightmares about it, I refuse to stay at the house alone or with less than 2 people there! I'm also a big believer that dogs pick up on supernatural occurrences and she went absolutely nuts at those patio doors.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 182
Thanks for your responses so far guys, loving this thread and your intriguing stories 👻

• Wow
Reactions: 15
Loving the thread. I've not experienced anything definite myself but I am always intrigued. Mother-in-law has encountered the person walking up the stairs thing and the shadowy figure at the bottom of the bed before.

Reactions: 11
I’ve got a little story myself, but no one ever takes it seriously 😂 I saw the same thing as my mom:
We’d been to put fresh flowers on a grave. We were driving home from the church, mom was driving, and the road was small and very winding. Coming round one corner a little white car came speeding round the corner and my mom had to swerve a little into the verge. We both saw the exact same thing, and the fact that it was driving a little white Nova type car is why people find this story funny 😂 in the drivers seat was something wearing a big black hood, hunched forward over the steering wheel. It was daylight, but neither of us saw any face inside the hood. So, they were driving towards the church and graveyard at speed, and we were driving away. I hate to say it, but we both say it looked very much like a grim reaper type character 😰 I know it sounds funny, but I swear mine and my moms accounts of what we saw are exactly the same. This was 20 years ago, and we still talk about what we saw!!!! Weird 👻😰

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 58
I’ve got a little story myself, but no one ever takes it seriously 😂 I saw the same thing as my mom:
We’d been to put fresh flowers on a grave. We were driving home from the church, mom was driving, and the road was small and very winding. Coming round one corner a little white car came speeding round the corner and my mom had to swerve a little into the verge. We both saw the exact same thing, and the fact that it was driving a little white Nova type car is why people find this story funny 😂 in the drivers seat was something wearing a big black hood, hunched forward over the steering wheel. It was daylight, but neither of us saw any face inside the hood. So, they were driving towards the church and graveyard at speed, and we were driving away. I hate to say it, but we both say it looked very much like a grim reaper type character 😰 I know it sounds funny, but I swear mine and my moms accounts of what we saw are exactly the same. This was 20 years ago, and we still talk about what we saw!!!! Weird 👻😰

Wasn't Halloween, was it?? 🎃

• Haha
Reactions: 9
No it wasn’t Halloween 🤣 it is a very weird story and as you can imagine everyone pisses themselves when I tell them I saw the grim reaper speeding in a white Nova 🤣 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 88
A family member of mine was going through a tough time, constantly passing out not knowing what was causing it. We were all extremely concerned as it was quite debilitating and also because there was no idea at all as to what was causing it!
One night I paid a visit to said family member and as I got closer (it was just the two of us in the room) and looked her in the eyes, it wasn't her. It was someone else that was looking back at me. She gave me a devilish smile and said my name. Needless to say, I nearly shat my pants and got the hell out of the room at the speed of light! I went into another room, completely shaken and another family member asked me what happened. Before I could answer, we felt a gust of wind right behind us and the hair on my neck stood up! We looked at each other like wtf as he felt the exact same. It was absolutely terrifying!
Thankfully my family member got better after a while. I get the chills just thinking about it as I have no doubt in my mind that I saw a possession. [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 84
This reminds me of another one. We live by the beach and for around 6 months whenever we drove along it Is always see a little old man on a bike go from the pavement to the road then disappear. I don't know what happened but one day I stopped seeing him and haven't seen him since. This was around 5 years ago.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
My partner was feeding our newborn in our bedroom in our bed, I was in the spare next door sorting clothes.
All of a sudden I heard this, smack, bang and then our baby screaming! I ran in wond ring what the hell was a matter, other half was on the bed, baby I'm his arms, looking absolutely terrified, said something smacked the bottle out if his hand, out our sons mouth. The bottle was on the floor at the end of the bed.
I wouldn't have believed him if it wasn't for the fact his face was literally white. I've never seen him like that. Ever, and he wouldn't have upset our baby just for a trick anyway.

I always got dodgy vibes from that house, particularly the spare room I was in, it never felt right.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 59
I’ve seen a ghost but telling the story doesn’t sound particularly scary. When I was about 11 I was upstairs in my bedroom. I went to go downstairs and when I walked out of my bedroom I saw something out of the corner of my eye, and saw a young lady aged around 20 with long blonde hair wearing a long white dress. She had one hand on the bannister along the landing, and was looking over it down the stairs. I must have gasped or made some sort of noise because she turned and looked at me, then disappeared.

Slightly off topic - I also occasionally suffer from sleep paralysis. It is the most terrifying thing you can experience. Basically when you’re asleep your brain wakes up but your body doesn’t, and you can’t move or speak no matter how hard you try. In reality it probably lasts seconds but it feels like minutes! A lot of the time when this happens I see or sense an evil presence. When I see it it’s a dark shadowy figure that enters the room and comes slowly towards me. One time it got that close to me that it lifted the bed sheets and started to get on to the bed, at that point I woke properly and was able to move and speak again. It’s absolutely awful! 😨

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 68
I’ve seen a ghost but telling the story doesn’t sound particularly scary. When I was about 11 I was upstairs in my bedroom. I went to go downstairs and when I walked out of my bedroom I saw something out of the corner of my eye, and saw a young lady aged around 20 with long blonde hair wearing a long white dress. She had one hand on the bannister along the landing, and was looking over it down the stairs. I must have gasped or made some sort of noise because she turned and looked at me, then disappeared.

Slightly off topic - I also occasionally suffer from sleep paralysis. It is the most terrifying thing you can experience. Basically when you’re asleep your brain wakes up but your body doesn’t, and you can’t move or speak no matter how hard you try. In reality it probably lasts seconds but it feels like minutes! A lot of the time when this happens I see or sense an evil presence. When I see it it’s a dark shadowy figure that enters the room and comes slowly towards me. One time it got that close to me that it lifted the bed sheets and started to get on to the bed, at that point I woke properly and was able to move and speak again. It’s absolutely awful! 😨
I have experienced sleep paralysis twice, very scary. I tried to scream at the person standing at the end of my bed but couldnt use my voice. Couldn't move. Such a scary moment. For me though Im convinced I was super tired rather than it being a supernatural thing.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
A creepy story from DS forum:

I once temped at an extremely old Royal Institution in Holborn in London, which pre-dated the Great Fire of London.

The Building itself was built & rebuilt a number of time on the same spot & housed absolutely fascinating paintings of old Fellows of the Institution, dressed in 'Dick Turpin' style attire.

It also housed a pathology museum & lecturing halls which contained deformed fetuses in jars & all form of medical macabre'ness dating back centuries. Anyone who knows Holborn in any level of details already knows exactly where I'm talking about - and a quick google search will enlighten the rest of you you.

However, what may surprise people is that in the basement, is a Mortuary. If you donate your body to science, this is where you may end up - serving as a learning tool for visiting lecturers - who have accommodation in the levels above the museum.

My role was a very last minute Security Guard. Though I had absolutely no experience in Security at all, I was at a loose end & the temp who was supposed to be there 'let them down very badly at the last minute' - so I agreed to go in for their Graveyard Shift - knowing nothing about the place other than it's address.

It was easy money. I locked up a few doors separating the museum & lecturing halls from the accommodation part - and buzzed in a few visitors, stumbling in from the pubs after the 11pm 'curfew'. Apart from that, I sat on the net and made myself coffees all night.

Nothing remarkable happened the first night, and in the absence of another placement I agreed to stay on for a few weeks.

Thereafter, things started getting odd.

I'd be sitting on the security desk and my bag (which I'd popped under the desk) would vanish. Id later find it exactly where I left it. My coffee would move to the opposite side of desk. Shadows would appear in well lit places or appear to move.

I was quite prepared to put all of this down to my imagination until one night, just after I'd finish locking up the doors between the museum & accommodation - I went back to the Security Office to return the keys when something on the CCTV monitor caught my eye.

In the corridor I'd just locked (which was adjacent to the office) was a man dressed in 1800's garb, walking very calmly towards to dividing glass paneled doors. He was in his mid-to-late twenties and had very pale skin, but was otherwise very solid. Outfit asides, there wasn't anything otherworldly about him. As he approached the door, light shone through it on to him as if he were solid.

'Sh*!' I thought. 'I've locked someone in!' I thought - having no reason to think otherwise.

I grabbed the keys again and jogged out of the office towards the doors, called ahead

'I'm so sorry! I didn't realise anyone was still....'

My apology was cut dead however as a floor to ceiling column of really dense shadow emerged through the glass doors (almost like watching a rain storm on the horizon) and passed silently across the foyer.

I looked through the doors and saw noone. I looked back at the shadow & it continued very deliberately through the foyer to the guest bar area.

The column threw me, but I was still thinking I'd locked someone in. Maybe they'd seen the column and freaked out. But where to? The corridor was locked. As were all the rooms off the side of it. I'd just locked them.

I unlocked the dividing door and went back to check. One of the rooms was unlocked but was completely empty. The street lights from outside lit the room up to almost daytime brightness. Definitely no one there. An intruder maybe?

Having no experience of this I rang up my emergency 'Out of Hours Contact' - who was the Building Manager.

'I've locked someone in the museum - but I can't find them.'

To say he was pissed off was an understatement. Half an hour later, he arrived and we both carried out an extensive / fruitless search of the museum.

'But he was on CCTV!'

We rewound the tapes to the time I saw him - and saw nothing but a dense column of shadow pass in front of the screen.

The building manager left, seething that I'd woken him & gotten him to come in for nothing a worst - a shadow at most - and left me to sit out the rest of my shift alone. But I knew what I saw. It was a person. I could make out the detail on his outfit. His hairstyle. Eveything.

When the Accommodation Receptionist arrived at 7am, I decided to very nonchalantly ask her in a round about kinda way (so she wouldn't think I was mad) about the place.

'So, this place is really old, huh...' I ventured lamely 'Bet these walls could tell a few stories?'

She immediately shot back with -
'What have you seen? What happened'
'What do you mean?' I asked.
'You've seen something. That's why the other guy before you left in the middle of the night. That's why they all leave You're asking me for a reason, not out of the blue.' she said, seeing straight through my lame atempts at subterfuge.
'Well yeah...?' I said 'But I didn't actually think I was right?! What... what did I see?'

She went on to tell me how the place is notoriously haunted. (The unlocked room especially.) The guy before me (who's shift I'd covered at the last minute) had legged it in the middle of the night when he looked out of the security office and saw a woman in a floor length gown running across the foyer. As all our guests need passes, he ran after her so he could sight her pass.

'Excuse me?!' he yelled a number of times as she lifted the hem of her skirt and ran up the stair case, which wound it's way around the rear of the foyer.

As he reached the landing in the middle of the stair case and she neared the top - she vanished into thin air, right in front of him. He scarpered mid-shift and when he refused point-blank to ever return - so I was drafted in to fill his shift.

Admittedly, this did freak me out a little - but as I said in my last post, I'd had other supernatural experiences in the past - and what set this apart from those, is that I felt no sense of malevolence from what I'd seen. If it were a 'bad' spirit - you get a real feeling of 'this thing wants to cause me harm' - and I had no such feeling. Yeah, it was unsettling - but I was intrigued more than terified.

So I did return - and it was the start of what was one of the most fascinating experiences of my life.

The next time I saw it, a week or two later I was locking up the guest bar on the far side of the foyer. As I was about to exit - again a floor to ceiling column of shadow emerged from the museum corridor opposite & rushed towards me, in the darkened bar. There was nowhere to run except further back into the dark - or straight into it - so I stood rooted to the spot.

As it passed through me, it was extremely suddenly cold and felt like static electricity passing over me. (Like when you take clothes out of the dryer & pass them over your hair.) It litrally crackled as it passed through me.

Again, I didn't feel it was out to hurt me - but it definitely wanted acknowledgement that it was there. So I eventually caught my breath & said out loud...

'Seems like you want a drink even worse than I do!'

At that, there was a massive thud behind me in the dark.

My heart was almost beating through my chest at this point, but I called out

'Well, make yourself at home. Have one for me!' - so I walked out, locked the bar & went back to my desk on the far side of the foyer.

I sat staring into the bar, which seemed extremely dark now. A short while later - the column of shadow emerged out of the bar and edged into the centre of the foyer - as if it were eying me.

We stared each other out for about half an hour or so until the shadow eventually faded away.

This is far from the end of this story - but I'll continue it another time.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 120
A creepy story from DS forum:

I once temped at an extremely old Royal Institution in Holborn in London, which pre-dated the Great Fire of London.

The Building itself was built & rebuilt a number of time on the same spot & housed absolutely fascinating paintings of old Fellows of the Institution, dressed in 'Dick Turpin' style attire.

It also housed a pathology museum & lecturing halls which contained deformed fetuses in jars & all form of medical macabre'ness dating back centuries. Anyone who knows Holborn in any level of details already knows exactly where I'm talking about - and a quick google search will enlighten the rest of you you.

However, what may surprise people is that in the basement, is a Mortuary. If you donate your body to science, this is where you may end up - serving as a learning tool for visiting lecturers - who have accommodation in the levels above the museum.

My role was a very last minute Security Guard. Though I had absolutely no experience in Security at all, I was at a loose end & the temp who was supposed to be there 'let them down very badly at the last minute' - so I agreed to go in for their Graveyard Shift - knowing nothing about the place other than it's address.

It was easy money. I locked up a few doors separating the museum & lecturing halls from the accommodation part - and buzzed in a few visitors, stumbling in from the pubs after the 11pm 'curfew'. Apart from that, I sat on the net and made myself coffees all night.

Nothing remarkable happened the first night, and in the absence of another placement I agreed to stay on for a few weeks.

Thereafter, things started getting odd.

I'd be sitting on the security desk and my bag (which I'd popped under the desk) would vanish. Id later find it exactly where I left it. My coffee would move to the opposite side of desk. Shadows would appear in well lit places or appear to move.

I was quite prepared to put all of this down to my imagination until one night, just after I'd finish locking up the doors between the museum & accommodation - I went back to the Security Office to return the keys when something on the CCTV monitor caught my eye.

In the corridor I'd just locked (which was adjacent to the office) was a man dressed in 1800's garb, walking very calmly towards to dividing glass paneled doors. He was in his mid-to-late twenties and had very pale skin, but was otherwise very solid. Outfit asides, there wasn't anything otherworldly about him. As he approached the door, light shone through it on to him as if he were solid.

'Sh*!' I thought. 'I've locked someone in!' I thought - having no reason to think otherwise.

I grabbed the keys again and jogged out of the office towards the doors, called ahead

'I'm so sorry! I didn't realise anyone was still....'

My apology was cut dead however as a floor to ceiling column of really dense shadow emerged through the glass doors (almost like watching a rain storm on the horizon) and passed silently across the foyer.

I looked through the doors and saw noone. I looked back at the shadow & it continued very deliberately through the foyer to the guest bar area.

The column threw me, but I was still thinking I'd locked someone in. Maybe they'd seen the column and freaked out. But where to? The corridor was locked. As were all the rooms off the side of it. I'd just locked them.

I unlocked the dividing door and went back to check. One of the rooms was unlocked but was completely empty. The street lights from outside lit the room up to almost daytime brightness. Definitely no one there. An intruder maybe?

Having no experience of this I rang up my emergency 'Out of Hours Contact' - who was the Building Manager.

'I've locked someone in the museum - but I can't find them.'

To say he was pissed off was an understatement. Half an hour later, he arrived and we both carried out an extensive / fruitless search of the museum.

'But he was on CCTV!'

We rewound the tapes to the time I saw him - and saw nothing but a dense column of shadow pass in front of the screen.

The building manager left, seething that I'd woken him & gotten him to come in for nothing a worst - a shadow at most - and left me to sit out the rest of my shift alone. But I knew what I saw. It was a person. I could make out the detail on his outfit. His hairstyle. Eveything.

When the Accommodation Receptionist arrived at 7am, I decided to very nonchalantly ask her in a round about kinda way (so she wouldn't think I was mad) about the place.

'So, this place is really old, huh...' I ventured lamely 'Bet these walls could tell a few stories?'

She immediately shot back with -
'What have you seen? What happened'
'What do you mean?' I asked.
'You've seen something. That's why the other guy before you left in the middle of the night. That's why they all leave You're asking me for a reason, not out of the blue.' she said, seeing straight through my lame atempts at subterfuge.
'Well yeah...?' I said 'But I didn't actually think I was right?! What... what did I see?'

She went on to tell me how the place is notoriously haunted. (The unlocked room especially.) The guy before me (who's shift I'd covered at the last minute) had legged it in the middle of the night when he looked out of the security office and saw a woman in a floor length gown running across the foyer. As all our guests need passes, he ran after her so he could sight her pass.

'Excuse me?!' he yelled a number of times as she lifted the hem of her skirt and ran up the stair case, which wound it's way around the rear of the foyer.

As he reached the landing in the middle of the stair case and she neared the top - she vanished into thin air, right in front of him. He scarpered mid-shift and when he refused point-blank to ever return - so I was drafted in to fill his shift.

Admittedly, this did freak me out a little - but as I said in my last post, I'd had other supernatural experiences in the past - and what set this apart from those, is that I felt no sense of malevolence from what I'd seen. If it were a 'bad' spirit - you get a real feeling of 'this thing wants to cause me harm' - and I had no such feeling. Yeah, it was unsettling - but I was intrigued more than terified.

So I did return - and it was the start of what was one of the most fascinating experiences of my life.

The next time I saw it, a week or two later I was locking up the guest bar on the far side of the foyer. As I was about to exit - again a floor to ceiling column of shadow emerged from the museum corridor opposite & rushed towards me, in the darkened bar. There was nowhere to run except further back into the dark - or straight into it - so I stood rooted to the spot.

As it passed through me, it was extremely suddenly cold and felt like static electricity passing over me. (Like when you take clothes out of the dryer & pass them over your hair.) It litrally crackled as it passed through me.

Again, I didn't feel it was out to hurt me - but it definitely wanted acknowledgement that it was there. So I eventually caught my breath & said out loud...

'Seems like you want a drink even worse than I do!'

At that, there was a massive thud behind me in the dark.

My heart was almost beating through my chest at this point, but I called out

'Well, make yourself at home. Have one for me!' - so I walked out, locked the bar & went back to my desk on the far side of the foyer.

I sat staring into the bar, which seemed extremely dark now. A short while later - the column of shadow emerged out of the bar and edged into the centre of the foyer - as if it were eying me.

We stared each other out for about half an hour or so until the shadow eventually faded away.

This is far from the end of this story - but I'll continue it another time.
That
Was
AWESOME

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.