True ghost stories šŸ‘»

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When I was around 7, I woke up in the night and saw an old man sitting beside me. What was really strange was that I wasn't scared in the slightest, and I just remember feeling really peaceful. He simply smiled and disappeared.

Fast forward a few months and my mum was sorting through some old boxes from the loft and we came across some photos. We came to one and I recognised the man immediately as the man I had seen that night. It turns out that he was my great grandfather. When I told my mum that he was the man I'd seen, she said "Im not surprised. When you were a baby I put a photo of him on the windowsill above your cot, and asked him to watch over you while you were sleeping. Seems he's still watching over you".

Another one happened about a year ago. Hubby and I had just turned in for the night, and we heard an almighty shreak that sounded like it came from the landing right outside our bedroom. It sounded like a woman screaming. We both sat bolt upright, and being the wimp that I am sent my husband to investigate. He couldn't work out what an earth had caused that noise, all the windows were closed, we hadn't left any devices on. Complete mystery! My husband is a real non-believer in anything paranormal, but even he was really shaken by that, and try as he might cannot debunk this one.

This one isn't a ghost story, but as a kid I had a really creaky wardrobe and my bed was positioned facing it. All of a sudden the door starts to creak open by itself. Turns out the cat had been sleeping in there and she was just letting herself out. Scared the absolute tit out of me until I saw her dart out the room šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I'm enjoying these! Still haven't experienced anything myself other than general eerie feelings in the dark.

Reactions: 2
There's a great series called "Paranormal Survivor" and they have the full episodes available on YouTube. They include dramatised re-enactments of people's stories, so does make for particularly scary viewing.

Definitely not one to watch at night, and don't do what I did and binge watch loads of them in one go, you'll end up a paranoid wreck, thinking every creak you hear is a ghost šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 8
Iā€™m a huge paranormal nerd myself but have never really experienced anything to rave about BUT my Nan died before I was born and long before my younger cousin was born. When my cousin was maybe 6 or 7 she was playing upstairs and talking to herself etc so my auntie thought and next thing she knows sheā€™s come down the stairs and stood next to my Auntieā€™s armchair whilst she watched telly

She apparently leant on the arm rest with her hands supporting her chin and said ā€˜donā€™t worry Mummy, Nanny said everythingā€™s going to be okay.ā€™ And then skipped off and kept playing again!

I am really dying to experience something myself and go on ghost hunts and yours frequently, hoping my day comes soon! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 4
Iā€™ve just been to York. Apparently itā€™s the most haunted city in Europe. My OH and me went on the Ghost walk together, the next day we walked over the graveyard that has a dead person walking round looking for his head. One part was particularly cold so itā€™s possible we stood over the part where his heads buried.

About ten years ago I lived in an old Victorian terraced house that had been converted into two flats. I lived on the ground floor and used to have terrible problems with the neighbours making noise. Almost like clockwork every night there'd be pacing back and forth, loud conversations, banging things, the sound of floors being scrubbed. I really didn't feel comfortable approaching them as I'm not the type so I called the landlord of the building to ask if he could have a discreet word about the noise as it starts at 9pm and goes on until the early hours. He said to me no one has been in the top floor flat for months. I was pretty taken aback and didn't know what to say so I just said sorry for wasting your time it must be coming from one of the other neighbours and left it.

It still completely baffled me because I could hear the noise and literally feel the vibrations coming directly above the rooms in my flat. If I'm honest 'ghosts' didn't come to mind because I don't really believe in that, and this felt very real not like something supernatural happening. That same night it happened again so I thought this is just ridiculous and went out into the hallway and up the stairs to the top floor flat. I knocked the door and it opened just enough with the chain latch still on. For some reason I wasn't expecting an answer so I just sort of said "oh hi, I live downstairs. Have you just moved in?" to which a woman replied in a deep Bristol accent "Aw, are we making too much noise? Sorry my love. We'll try to keep it down", I said "oh it's okay, it's just I have to get up early and couldn't sleep the past few nights". She took the chain latch off and opened the door further. She looked like she was wearing an apron and some raggedy dress/skirt underneath and a hairnet or something on her head covering her hair. So anyway I said "sorry to disturb you" and started making my goodbyes and she said "It's alright my love, it's nice to have the company" I half-laughed and went to walk back down the stairs then I stopped and said "you said we", she replies "sorry my love?", I said "you said we'll keep the noise down" and she says "oh, don't mind me my love" and scattered off slowly into the flat, saying goodnight.

The next day I rang the landlord again and said I'd spoken to a woman last night which is weird because you said there wasn't anyone living there. He sounded like he'd been caught out or something. He said he'd come round to the flat later that day to talk to me. He ended up telling me that he can never occupy the top floor flat for more than a few weeks because people complain of it being "haunted" with tenants telling stories of a cleaning lady that won't leave them alone. At this point I was actually laughing and kept asking so you're telling me I spoke to a ghost? And he had his head in his hands and just said "I don't know, I don't know anymore".

I stayed in the flat as I mentioned I didn't believe in ghosts but found the whole thing really odd. More and more strange things kept happening over the months like I would wake up and see shadow figures then turn the lights on and nothing would be there. One night I woke up and someone whispered "little tell tale" in my ear. The noises upstairs kept happening, though less frequently. Eventually a young couple moved in up stairs and after they'd been there for a week I heard the woman screaming the entire house down and thought "what's happened there". The next day I saw her in the hallway and asked if everything was okay last night? She laughed and said oh yes fine, it will sound crazy if I told you. I said 'go on...', she said that she woke up to someone stroking her hair and when she turned around it wasn't her boyfriend but a woman wearing a hairnet. As she screamed her boyfriend came running in who had left to go to the toilet. She said 'maybe I was having a nightmare, it just felt really real'. I said 'yeah probably'

At that point it was April and my tenancy was up in May. The day I left I got in the car and looked up at the building. In the very top window was a woman in a hairnet dusting the windows. I waved but it was as I couldn't catch her attention. I started the car and looked up as I drove off and she was gone.
I loved this! Thanks for sharing. I find it eerie when people have conversations with people they find out later on had actually been deceased! Someone else posted an experience earlier in the forum about a nurse at a hospital.

Reactions: 11
Me too, I feel sorry for the landlord too!
He seemed really down and apparently he was falling behind on mortgage payments because he couldn't get regular tenants. He practically begged me not to leave that day.

I still don't believe I saw a ghost. I do believe that we sometimes experience things in a different sequence to the 'timeline' humans create, and that can be confusing / weird. I've often wondered if it was related to that. My friends have theories that there were squatters in the top floor flat which is even scarier than seeing a ghost I think. But then it doesn't explain multiple people seeing the "cleaning lady" whilst they lived there. Very, very odd.

• Sad
Reactions: 19
I might have just found my favourite thread!!

I have a few little stories that I have encountered myself but my mum and gran both see and feel ghosts around!

For the past 3 years at christmas strange things have happened to my mum. My mum keeps her decorations in the loft and the first time she went up she brought everything down but the star for the tree was missing, she hunted high and low and never found it so bought a new one, the following christmas again brought everything down and in the box was something she had never seen before, was like a bell on brightly coloured string and last year she went up again to get the decortations but they were not up in the loft! She emptied it and searched but no they werent there, so she came back down and a few days later wanted another look, and right in the middle of the loft in full view was her decorations!! I wonder what will happen this year!!
I seen someone walk into the bathroom from the bottom of the stairs to which I shouted on my brother as i thought he was upstairs but turns out no one was upstairs!

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I live in a really old house in the middle of nowhere. This house is definitely haunted. I've had so many experiences, but to not out myself on here, I'll just tell a couple of things that have happened that I haven't told anyone I don't live with.

Sometimes when I hang the washing outside, I look up to the master bedroom and see a blonde woman in a floral sage green dress. She has her hair in a low bun and she is so beautiful. I see her standing to the side of the window watching me. When I look at her she disappears.

I bought an antique mirror that I hadn't hung yet, so it was leaning against the dining room wall until my husband could drill it onto the wall.

One day I was vacuuming, and I was standing next to the mirror with my back to it. I felt something push me from inside the mirror. I now never walk next to it for fear of it happening again!

I often feel someone brushing my hair whilst I'm trying to sleep.

Things always move and go missing. Now if something goes missing I say it'll probably turn up tomorrow where it was left, and it does!

We often hear young kids laughing or crying which is unnerving, especially as we have no neighbours! I hated having baby monitors!

These are the least scary things tbh.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I live in a really old house in the middle of nowhere. This house is definitely haunted. I've had so many experiences, but to not out myself on here, I'll just tell a couple of things that have happened that I haven't told anyone I don't live with.

Sometimes when I hang the washing outside, I look up to the master bedroom and see a blonde woman in a floral sage green dress. She has her hair in a low bun and she is so beautiful. I see her standing to the side of the window watching me. When I look at her she disappears.

I bought an antique mirror that I hadn't hung yet, so it was leaning against the dining room wall until my husband could drill it onto the wall.

One day I was vacuuming, and I was standing next to the mirror with my back to it. I felt something push me from inside the mirror. I now never walk next to it for fear of it happening again!

I often feel someone brushing my hair whilst I'm trying to sleep.

Things always move and go missing. Now if something goes missing I say it'll probably turn up tomorrow where it was left, and it does!

We often hear young kids laughing or crying which is unnerving, especially as we have no neighbours! I hated having baby monitors!

These are the least scary things tbh.
Wow! Youā€™re not easily scared then? šŸ˜. I couldnā€™t cope , Iā€™m nervy by nature and would be extremely stressed.

Memoii11 I love your short stories, wish you could have shared more!

Has anyone got any stories of seeing a ghost/s? I love stories where someone physically saw someone/something.

Has anybody ever had the unfortunate story of a ghost standing over you in bed or behind you in a mirror etc?

I have an unfortunate story of this, but it's luckily from an ex (not me phew!). When we got our first flat together the morning after we moved in I heard clear as day, a clear cough as though someone was trying to get my attention in the next room/living room. I walked in and checked, confused as my ex was in bed next to me fast asleep and there obviously was nobody there. This wasn't through walls muffled, it was crystal clear.

Then we started feeling being watched all of the time, it got absolutely horrendous at nighttime and he was always a night owl whilst I used to be fast asleep. One night he claims he saw a silhouette moving around our bedroom of a man in overalls and cowboy hat who looked like a farmer. He naturally was quite scared and wary. I did research and found out that in the 1800's, the flat used to be farmland and there was a picture drawn of huge fields where my flat is now on.

Fast forward a month or less later and I wake up in the middle of the night to my ex huddled into my chest shaking looking like he was hiding. I knew instantly he had seen something again and he said that he was on the laptop beside me in bed and the man appeared again stood right over him staring at both of us to then vanish.

We split up and he moved out and it was awful there being alone being watched. I used to dread the daylight slowly fading and honestly I had no life in that flat as it was so overbearing wherever you went. I used to hide under the duvet every night and if I needed a drink or whatnot would shove my hand out from under the duvet and drink it from under there etc. And it was horrible because on one side of my bed I sensed this man my ex saw but never physically saw him, but then on the other side of the bed was this protective nice presence I was feeling of another man and when my ex came over after our breakup he sensed the other man too without me having said a word.

Looking back, the flat was struggling to be rented and it was run down, the rent was something cheap like Ā£350 a month.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Memoii11 I love your short stories, wish you could have shared more!

Has anyone got any stories of seeing a ghost/s? I love stories where someone physically saw someone/something.

Has anybody ever had the unfortunate story of a ghost standing over you in bed or behind you in a mirror etc?

I have an unfortunate story of this, but it's luckily from an ex (not me phew!). When we got our first flat together the morning after we moved in I heard clear as day, a clear cough as though someone was trying to get my attention in the next room/living room. I walked in and checked, confused as my ex was in bed next to me fast asleep and there obviously was nobody there. This wasn't through walls muffled, it was crystal clear.

Then we started feeling being watched all of the time, it got absolutely horrendous at nighttime and he was always a night owl whilst I used to be fast asleep. One night he claims he saw a silhouette moving around our bedroom of a man in overalls and cowboy hat who looked like a farmer. He naturally was quite scared and wary. I did research and found out that in the 1800's, the flat used to be farmland and there was a picture drawn of huge fields where my flat is now on.

Fast forward a month or less later and I wake up in the middle of the night to my ex huddled into my chest shaking looking like he was hiding. I knew instantly he had seen something again and he said that he was on the laptop beside me in bed and the man appeared again stood right over him staring at both of us to then vanish.

We split up and he moved out and it was awful there being alone being watched. I used to dread the daylight slowly fading and honestly I had no life in that flat as it was so overbearing wherever you went. I used to hide under the duvet every night and if I needed a drink or whatnot would shove my hand out from under the duvet and drink it from under there etc. And it was horrible because on one side of my bed I sensed this man my ex saw but never physically saw him, but then on the other side of the bed was this protective nice presence I was feeling of another man and when my ex came over after our breakup he sensed the other man too without me having said a word.

Looking back, the flat was struggling to be rented and it was run down, the rent was something cheap like Ā£350 a month.
Fascinating but terrifying! Hope you didn't have to stay in that flat too long.

I have one, people always look at me like Iā€™m insane but here goes.

A few years ago I was visiting a relative in high dependency in hospital in Bristol. The nurse said because of the circumstances I could stay past visiting hours. It was late at night, there were not many staff about and the lights were dimmed. All of a sudden I felt a burst of cold air (I initially thought it was air con) then I realised there was a figure standing in the room, I felt oddly calm. I was certain I heard the words ā€œeverything will be fine.ā€
Some time later in the evening I went to a toilet at the end of the ward as I walked past some of the other rooms I had the most chilling feeling. I felt like I was being followed this time it didnā€™t feel calming, this was a different feeling there were shadows in the cubical with me and I was rushing to get my hands washed as quickly as possible.

Perhaps it was just because emotions were so high and I was aware that people in some of the surrounding rooms were in critical conditions. But, all I can say is Iā€™m certain of what I saw, felt and heard.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had odd experiences in hospital!

Reactions: 13

A few years ago I was visiting a relative in high dependency in hospital in Bristol. The nurse said because of the circumstances I could stay past visiting hours. It was late at night, there were not many staff about and the lights were dimmed. All of a sudden I felt a burst of cold air (I initially thought it was air con) then I realised there was a figure standing in the room, I felt oddly calm. I was certain I heard the words ā€œeverything will be fine.ā€
Some time later in the evening I went to a toilet at the end of the ward as I walked past some of the other rooms I had the most chilling feeling. I felt like I was being followed this time it didnā€™t feel calming, this was a different feeling there were shadows in the cubical with me and I was rushing to get my hands washed as quickly as possible.

Perhaps it was just because emotions were so high and I was aware that people in some of the surrounding rooms were in critical conditions. But, all I can say is Iā€™m certain of what I saw, felt and heard.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else has had odd experiences in hospital!
Hospitals seem to be a theme on here funnily enough. There is a hospital one further back. Thanks for sharing šŸ˜Š

Was everything fine?

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.