Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

petra23

My partners parents live in a really old Victorian house with their younger children, it's massive with 7 bedrooms over 3 floors. We stayed there and house/dog sat while they were in Australia for 3 weeks. One evening I arrived there before my boyfriend, I popped some tea in the oven and went upstairs with the dog (top floor) to get changed (the house has always creeped me out so if I'm alone I make the dog stay with mešŸ¤£). I noticed that the outside light came on so assumed by boyfriend had parked at the top of the lane and walked down which is the norm to do.
The front door opened, I heard him walk up the stairs (big thumping footsteps, like he was dragging himself up the stairs) but he went into the master bedroom on the second floor which was weird. I called down to him but no answers. I stood at the top of the stairs and shouted down again but no answer. I walked down and pushed open the master bedroom door which was ajar and the room was empty. I stepped inside and it was ridiculously cold in there, like see your breath cold, despite being winter and the underfloor heating being on all afternoon.

I got seriously freaked out and buggered off downstairs into the kitchen with the dog. I sat on the sofa's at the front of the kitchen in front of the patio doors. It was really dark outside but I could just about make out the garden. I kept getting that horrible tingling feeling up my back so I had a look out the glass doors and a man walked across the garden (he seemed to drag himself across it rather than walk). It was the most horrific thing I had ever seen, he literally looked twisted. The dog went absolutely mental, barking/screaming and scratching at the door. I was in hysterics and hid behind the kitchen counter with the dog until my bf got home. I made him go out and search the garden and he insisted that there was nothing there, even watched the CCTV back and couldn't see anyone come in or out of any of the entrances. I am absolutely sure it was something supernatural and he was in the house before.

I have tried to find some history on the house, all I know is that it was owned by a man whose son was the manager(??) of a clay mining pit, his legs were crushed in a freak accident and he died a few days later!! Horrific and I still have nightmares about it, I refuse to stay at the house alone or with less than 2 people there! I'm also a big believer that dogs pick up on supernatural occurrences and she went absolutely nuts at those patio doors.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 182

Janey1

A creepy story from DS forum:

I once temped at an extremely old Royal Institution in Holborn in London, which pre-dated the Great Fire of London.

The Building itself was built & rebuilt a number of time on the same spot & housed absolutely fascinating paintings of old Fellows of the Institution, dressed in 'Dick Turpin' style attire.

It also housed a pathology museum & lecturing halls which contained deformed fetuses in jars & all form of medical macabre'ness dating back centuries. Anyone who knows Holborn in any level of details already knows exactly where I'm talking about - and a quick google search will enlighten the rest of you you.

However, what may surprise people is that in the basement, is a Mortuary. If you donate your body to science, this is where you may end up - serving as a learning tool for visiting lecturers - who have accommodation in the levels above the museum.

My role was a very last minute Security Guard. Though I had absolutely no experience in Security at all, I was at a loose end & the temp who was supposed to be there 'let them down very badly at the last minute' - so I agreed to go in for their Graveyard Shift - knowing nothing about the place other than it's address.

It was easy money. I locked up a few doors separating the museum & lecturing halls from the accommodation part - and buzzed in a few visitors, stumbling in from the pubs after the 11pm 'curfew'. Apart from that, I sat on the net and made myself coffees all night.

Nothing remarkable happened the first night, and in the absence of another placement I agreed to stay on for a few weeks.

Thereafter, things started getting odd.

I'd be sitting on the security desk and my bag (which I'd popped under the desk) would vanish. Id later find it exactly where I left it. My coffee would move to the opposite side of desk. Shadows would appear in well lit places or appear to move.

I was quite prepared to put all of this down to my imagination until one night, just after I'd finish locking up the doors between the museum & accommodation - I went back to the Security Office to return the keys when something on the CCTV monitor caught my eye.

In the corridor I'd just locked (which was adjacent to the office) was a man dressed in 1800's garb, walking very calmly towards to dividing glass paneled doors. He was in his mid-to-late twenties and had very pale skin, but was otherwise very solid. Outfit asides, there wasn't anything otherworldly about him. As he approached the door, light shone through it on to him as if he were solid.

'Sh*!' I thought. 'I've locked someone in!' I thought - having no reason to think otherwise.

I grabbed the keys again and jogged out of the office towards the doors, called ahead

'I'm so sorry! I didn't realise anyone was still....'

My apology was cut dead however as a floor to ceiling column of really dense shadow emerged through the glass doors (almost like watching a rain storm on the horizon) and passed silently across the foyer.

I looked through the doors and saw noone. I looked back at the shadow & it continued very deliberately through the foyer to the guest bar area.

The column threw me, but I was still thinking I'd locked someone in. Maybe they'd seen the column and freaked out. But where to? The corridor was locked. As were all the rooms off the side of it. I'd just locked them.

I unlocked the dividing door and went back to check. One of the rooms was unlocked but was completely empty. The street lights from outside lit the room up to almost daytime brightness. Definitely no one there. An intruder maybe?

Having no experience of this I rang up my emergency 'Out of Hours Contact' - who was the Building Manager.

'I've locked someone in the museum - but I can't find them.'

To say he was pissed off was an understatement. Half an hour later, he arrived and we both carried out an extensive / fruitless search of the museum.

'But he was on CCTV!'

We rewound the tapes to the time I saw him - and saw nothing but a dense column of shadow pass in front of the screen.

The building manager left, seething that I'd woken him & gotten him to come in for nothing a worst - a shadow at most - and left me to sit out the rest of my shift alone. But I knew what I saw. It was a person. I could make out the detail on his outfit. His hairstyle. Eveything.

When the Accommodation Receptionist arrived at 7am, I decided to very nonchalantly ask her in a round about kinda way (so she wouldn't think I was mad) about the place.

'So, this place is really old, huh...' I ventured lamely 'Bet these walls could tell a few stories?'

She immediately shot back with -
'What have you seen? What happened'
'What do you mean?' I asked.
'You've seen something. That's why the other guy before you left in the middle of the night. That's why they all leave You're asking me for a reason, not out of the blue.' she said, seeing straight through my lame atempts at subterfuge.
'Well yeah...?' I said 'But I didn't actually think I was right?! What... what did I see?'

She went on to tell me how the place is notoriously haunted. (The unlocked room especially.) The guy before me (who's shift I'd covered at the last minute) had legged it in the middle of the night when he looked out of the security office and saw a woman in a floor length gown running across the foyer. As all our guests need passes, he ran after her so he could sight her pass.

'Excuse me?!' he yelled a number of times as she lifted the hem of her skirt and ran up the stair case, which wound it's way around the rear of the foyer.

As he reached the landing in the middle of the stair case and she neared the top - she vanished into thin air, right in front of him. He scarpered mid-shift and when he refused point-blank to ever return - so I was drafted in to fill his shift.

Admittedly, this did freak me out a little - but as I said in my last post, I'd had other supernatural experiences in the past - and what set this apart from those, is that I felt no sense of malevolence from what I'd seen. If it were a 'bad' spirit - you get a real feeling of 'this thing wants to cause me harm' - and I had no such feeling. Yeah, it was unsettling - but I was intrigued more than terified.

So I did return - and it was the start of what was one of the most fascinating experiences of my life.

The next time I saw it, a week or two later I was locking up the guest bar on the far side of the foyer. As I was about to exit - again a floor to ceiling column of shadow emerged from the museum corridor opposite & rushed towards me, in the darkened bar. There was nowhere to run except further back into the dark - or straight into it - so I stood rooted to the spot.

As it passed through me, it was extremely suddenly cold and felt like static electricity passing over me. (Like when you take clothes out of the dryer & pass them over your hair.) It litrally crackled as it passed through me.

Again, I didn't feel it was out to hurt me - but it definitely wanted acknowledgement that it was there. So I eventually caught my breath & said out loud...

'Seems like you want a drink even worse than I do!'

At that, there was a massive thud behind me in the dark.

My heart was almost beating through my chest at this point, but I called out

'Well, make yourself at home. Have one for me!' - so I walked out, locked the bar & went back to my desk on the far side of the foyer.

I sat staring into the bar, which seemed extremely dark now. A short while later - the column of shadow emerged out of the bar and edged into the centre of the foyer - as if it were eying me.

We stared each other out for about half an hour or so until the shadow eventually faded away.

This is far from the end of this story - but I'll continue it another time.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 120

Brummo123

No it wasnā€™t Halloween šŸ¤£ it is a very weird story and as you can imagine everyone pisses themselves when I tell them I saw the grim reaper speeding in a white Nova šŸ¤£ šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

• Haha
Reactions: 88

Meg1912

VIP Member
A family member of mine was going through a tough time, constantly passing out not knowing what was causing it. We were all extremely concerned as it was quite debilitating and also because there was no idea at all as to what was causing it!
One night I paid a visit to said family member and as I got closer (it was just the two of us in the room) and looked her in the eyes, it wasn't her. It was someone else that was looking back at me. She gave me a devilish smile and said my name. Needless to say, I nearly shat my pants and got the hell out of the room at the speed of light! I went into another room, completely shaken and another family member asked me what happened. Before I could answer, we felt a gust of wind right behind us and the hair on my neck stood up! We looked at each other like wtf as he felt the exact same. It was absolutely terrifying!
Thankfully my family member got better after a while. I get the chills just thinking about it as I have no doubt in my mind that I saw a possession. [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 84

karmacoma

Chatty Member
Something weird happened to me last year.

My daughter was about 14 months old, and her speech has always been quite good, so for the most part, I could communicate with her. (This is relevant, not humble bragging)

I take her with me to slimming world classes, which are held in this old village hall. They always have a sort of jumble sale on, and occasionally Iā€™ll get a toy or item of clothing for her from there. Anyway, one day there was this owl picture. It was like a hologram pic, so looked like it moved. My daughter LOVES owls, and squealed with delight when she saw it going ā€œOwl mummy!ā€ It was only Ā£1.50 so I brought it for her.

We took it home and I put it on a self in her room. That night about 1am, I awoke suddenly to my daughter screaming, I ran into her room and she was standing up in her cot completely hysterical. I picked her up trying to soothe her and said ā€œwhatā€™s the matter darling?ā€ and she pointed behind me and said ā€œthe man the man!-horrible man!ā€

I turned round and there was nothing there. It was really eerie, but I thought she must of had a bad dream. I calmed her down and she went off to sleep.

The exact same thing happened over the next three nights. At this point it was too weird for me so I took the picture from her room and put it in the living room.

That night she didnā€™t wake up at all. However, our 3 cats, who always sleep in the living room, came upstairs into our room and wouldnā€™t budge.

The next day I threw the picture out - havenā€™t heard about ā€˜The manā€™ since šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

• Wow
Reactions: 83

Doobeedoo

Chatty Member
I was in hospital in 2016 having another surgery (chronic illness life!) . It was the middle of the night and I was in pain, I buzzed for a nurse and a lovely smiley nurse came and asked how she could help. I explained I needed some stronger painkillers, she smiled and said I will be right back with them. Ten minutes later no meds, 30 mins later no meds. I buzzed again and was in agony and was crying. Another nurse came and was like like ā€œoh my goodness are you okay. Whatā€™s wrong !?ā€ I explained that the other nurse was getting my meds but wasnā€™t back yet and I was struggling. She questioned me and said ā€œthe other nurseā€ and I said ā€œyes, the one in the white dress that is always smilingā€ . She paused and said ā€œno one on shift wears white dressesā€ I explained the nurses appearance to her and she sort of stopped nodded slightly and smiled and said ā€œ she means well, but Iā€™ll go get themā€.

I spoke to the lady serving breakfast about the nurse in the white dress and she too smiled and said ā€œshe never left the hospitalā€. I was confused and when my family came to visit , we googled the uniform description and it came up as 1930s nurse.

Yes I could have hallucinated from pain but I honestly think it was a nurse who loved her job so much she never left. I have another story from the same hospital but I will share that later.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 82

Naysayer

Not quite a ghost story but it sort of fits in here. I have a weird thing with songs in my head. If someone is going to die I get the song happy birthday to you going round and round in my head. It's quite unnerving at an actual birthday party ha! It's happened all through my life. I get songs for all sorts of things playing in my head randomly. Some of its Sooo daft. I had food glorious food at Christmas time and won a food hamper at the school fayre that night! the we're going to the zoo, zoo zoo song playing yesterday, and today I got a text from my son's friends mum asking if he was free to go to the zoo with them next weekšŸ˜± I'll take that over happy birthday tho! Forever hoping to hear money money money by abba šŸ¤£

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 73

Hatshepsut

A few years ago I went with my sister to look at a house that she was thinking of buying. It was a lovely old vicarage that had been built around the mid 1800ā€™s.
The owner, who had lived there for many years had recently died and her son and his wife were showing us around.
It needed a lot of work and modernisation so my sister was making notes in an attempt to calculate an estimated cost. The son said just take your time and after the initial quick tour he stayed in the kitchen and left us to wander on our own.

Everything was fine and I canā€™t say that I felt anything strange to begin with but as we walked into what had been the master bedroom I thought I saw a blurry movement behind me in the dressing table mirror.
I looked at my sister but she was just writing in her little pad and obviously hadnā€™t seen anything. I thought it was my imagination so I just ignored it and never said a word to her.
A couple of minutes later we were stood by the old Victorian bedroom fireplace and my sister was talking about having it ripped out. I was arguing with her and telling her that only a chavy fool would take out something so beautiful.
As we were in the middle of this quite loud sisterly debate we both heard a womanā€™s voice say ā€œSssh, you will notā€ We both looked around towards the bedroom door, assuming that the sonā€™s wife had come in and heard us talking about the renovations.

The door was still wide open just as we had left it when we walked in and there was nobody else in sight. We looked at each other and made a swift exit down the stairs. We never said anything about it to the couple as they were both happily sorting out the kitchen cupboards and drinking tea.

Back at my sisterā€™s house we talked about nothing else all afternoon and had a good few glasses of wine. We had both heard the exact same words and I thought it was the previous owner telling my sister to leave her house alone. She thought it was our mum, who had died a few years before, telling us off for arguing.šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

She didnā€™t buy the house and it is now a private nursing home. I still think about it every time I drive past the house on the way to visit my family.
We have never been able to come up with a rational explanation for what happened that day and it does make you wonder if the current residents have ever seen or heard anything strange.

• Wow
  • Heart

Motherofboys

Not quite a ghost story but it sort of fits in here. I have a weird thing with songs in my head. If someone is going to die I get the song happy birthday to you going round and round in my head. It's quite unnerving at an actual birthday party ha! It's happened all through my life. I get songs for all sorts of things playing in my head randomly. Some of its Sooo daft. I had food glorious food at Christmas time and won a food hamper at the school fayre that night! the we're going to the zoo, zoo zoo song playing yesterday, and today I got a text from my son's friends mum asking if he was free to go to the zoo with them next weekšŸ˜± I'll take that over happy birthday tho! Forever hoping to hear money money money by abba šŸ¤£
Not a haha for the happy birthday song, more so that the money money money just made me snort my drink šŸ˜‚

I have so many ghost stories! Some of them still terrify me. Especially my son and his "friend".

So..

My son was about 4/5, started seeing this little boy. This little boy would play with him, talk to him, reassure him etc. Just thought it's an imaginary friend, BUT, he's autistic, really struggles with his imagination and draws things instead of speaking his emotions etc.

I was home alone with him and he turned round and said "..... wants to say hello to you mum. He won't speak in front of anyone else" my whole body went cold, hair standing up etc. Before all of this though he would giggle about his friend doing things, moving stuff etc. I told him I didn't want to speak to him because he was spooking me out. So about half hour later he comes to me with a drawing (I'll actually dig this drawing out soon) showing a picture of a boy by a tree. Told me in detail that he was alive 50 years ago and lived in a big house for naughty children because his parents were dead. Because he was so naughty, he would be "electric shocked" on the head at night time. Then one night he touched the "electric" and died. The nasty men buried him by the tree.

So by this point I was a little scared (šŸ”) put him to bed and said goodnight to his friend. Sat on the settee for a couple of hours researching. So.. there's an old children's home about 5mins away from mine. It was knocked down a few years ago after a nasty fire. There was loads of child cruelty cases that came about from there to do with the carers and church that worked there. Shut down years before it burned. The dates my son gave me matched up with this. It also went into detail how they would give children electric shock therapy for behavioural problems!!!

Now as my son is autistic, he sees a psychiatrist every couple of months due to how he is. We mentioned this to her. She was fascinated. We recorded him talking about him and everything. She's taken all of that and has been working on looking into this!

I seriously considered getting a priest in. It was that unnerving. But since I stitched crosses into all of his pillows he doesn't talk about him at home. He'll mention he's seen him in school though! I'm not religious at all so I think I did this as a comfort thing really for me.

Baring in mind by the time he spoke about this he was 5, he's now 8 and will randomly mention he's seen him. He never ever watched anything to encourage that or seen anything remotely similar. So god knows how he knew all of it! We don't encourage the talk as quite frankly it's scary šŸ˜‚ and I'm alone with the kids!

Sorry if it's a bit rambly, I'm trying to type whilst I have him around me (by around me, I'm being pestered) šŸ˜‚

I'll also try and get some more put on here later!!!

• Wow
  • Heart

Coco544

VIP Member
Iā€™ve seen a ghost but telling the story doesnā€™t sound particularly scary. When I was about 11 I was upstairs in my bedroom. I went to go downstairs and when I walked out of my bedroom I saw something out of the corner of my eye, and saw a young lady aged around 20 with long blonde hair wearing a long white dress. She had one hand on the bannister along the landing, and was looking over it down the stairs. I must have gasped or made some sort of noise because she turned and looked at me, then disappeared.

Slightly off topic - I also occasionally suffer from sleep paralysis. It is the most terrifying thing you can experience. Basically when youā€™re asleep your brain wakes up but your body doesnā€™t, and you canā€™t move or speak no matter how hard you try. In reality it probably lasts seconds but it feels like minutes! A lot of the time when this happens I see or sense an evil presence. When I see it itā€™s a dark shadowy figure that enters the room and comes slowly towards me. One time it got that close to me that it lifted the bed sheets and started to get on to the bed, at that point I woke properly and was able to move and speak again. Itā€™s absolutely awful! šŸ˜Ø

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 68
I'm gonna tell a story here, I've never told anyone in 'real life' but I feel like I want to tell it. It's not as spooky as some of the others, but still something otherworldly. A few years ago I had a stroke, and when I was about to go into a coma, I had these visions of beautiful fields, trees and horses. It was the most beautiful and calm place I've ever 'been' to. I felt so calm, so happy, so at peace in this place. Now, a week later I was conscious again, and then carried on recovering from the stroke. However I feel desperately sad that I can't go to that place and as time goes on I can't remember it as well, quite often I get a feeling that I want to go back there. So, my first and most logical theory is that it was just hallucinations from all the meds I'd been given as the hospital was trying to save my life. Second theory is that I had reached 'the other side' and that's why I was so calm... and this is why I'm now not scared of dying. But the third thing is... the day this happened was the first anniversary of my grandad's funeral. When I was little, my grandad had horses, which he kept at a stables near a forest, and their paddocks were in fields among the forests. Was it my grandad inviting me to see him and the horses? I don't know, but if it was, it was beautiful and I'd happily go there. Obviously I'm still alive and now sitting at a desk trying to do some work, but I felt like I had to share that since I've found somewhere to share it. The world is so much more than we think it is.

• Heart
Reactions: 62

Doobeedoo

Chatty Member
This story happened at the same hospital however this was in 2005. I was 15 and was in the hospital for my first ever surgery. I had already been in the hospital for ten days, I was on the kids ward (as I was too young for the adult ward yet too old for the kids) .

I was bed bound and was lay watching Shrek on the laptop that the ward provided. My mum was on a high back comfy chair next to me.

I said to her ā€œmum I need to turn over so I will need my hand backā€ , she said ā€œwhat do you mean you need your hand backā€ . I said ā€œyouā€™re holding my handā€ . My mum was like ********** Iā€™m notā€ .

I looked towards her in the chair and she had her back to me curled in the chair reading a magazine. We both looked down at my hand and it was in the position as if I was holding hands.

It wasnā€™t scary / spooky it was just really comforting .

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 61

Sandra_1984

My youngest son, now 10, used to talk about his last mummy. He begun talking about her just before he was 2, saying I'm nicer than his last mummy. I took it with a pinch of salt but my mum told me to question him more. I asked where the last mummy went and he said he didn't see her anymore now as there were people in danger so he was in an airplane which crashed and there was a fire and he died. No idea if he'd been influenced by something he'd seen on TV (not that we ever had it on much), but even to this day he hates loud noises and has always been obsessed with poppys (especially for remembrance Sunday). Now he's older he's totally forgotten all of this anyway.

When my twins were babies, I was driving them on a single track country lane, summer so all the grass verges were overgrown etc. It was a 60mph road and I was probably doing 50, and all of a sudden had this urge to slow down. I ignored the urge though which was getting stronger. All of a sudden the CD just ejected with force from the CD player (no steering wheel controls in those days) which made me slam on my brakes in shock. As I slammed them on this car came round the corner as quick as lightning. Like 90mph lightning. Would have 100% been a head on collision had I have not almost braked to a stop. Coincidence or supernatural forces, no idea, but I was SOOOO thankful.

And lastly, very recent and it's difficult to type this one. My dear mother passed away on August 3rd this year. I'm now living in Australia, she was back in England and I was due to fly back to see her on Aug 7th. When her husband called to tell me the sad news, my world seriously crashed. Anyhow, I was putting clothes in my wardrobe and packing to go back to England when I said out loud, "mum if you're there give me a sign". A couple of mins later the middle light in my walk in wardrobe was flashing. I sat for an hour and a half talking to this flashing light bulb..... Eg flash for yes, stay solid for no. Then I thought I was going mad and my electrics were dodgy so I stopped.

When I got back to the UK, I told her husband about the light while we were on route to see her body and say goodbye. While we were with her body, the light above her coffin was flashing and her husband said maybe I wasn't crazy after all, maybe it's a sign she's with us in the room. It was comforting. The same thing happened after her funeral at her wake. This one light was flashing. When I got back to Australia at the beginning of September, the wardrobe light again was flashing so I said out loud, you can go mum, go and rest in peace. It hasn't flashed since :-(

Sorry that was long and possibly doesn't make sense, it's all so raw still. Not exactly ghost stories but so eerie XX

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 61

Mememememe

My partner was feeding our newborn in our bedroom in our bed, I was in the spare next door sorting clothes.
All of a sudden I heard this, smack, bang and then our baby screaming! I ran in wond ring what the hell was a matter, other half was on the bed, baby I'm his arms, looking absolutely terrified, said something smacked the bottle out if his hand, out our sons mouth. The bottle was on the floor at the end of the bed.
I wouldn't have believed him if it wasn't for the fact his face was literally white. I've never seen him like that. Ever, and he wouldn't have upset our baby just for a trick anyway.

I always got dodgy vibes from that house, particularly the spare room I was in, it never felt right.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 59

Brummo123

Iā€™ve got a little story myself, but no one ever takes it seriously šŸ˜‚ I saw the same thing as my mom:
Weā€™d been to put fresh flowers on a grave. We were driving home from the church, mom was driving, and the road was small and very winding. Coming round one corner a little white car came speeding round the corner and my mom had to swerve a little into the verge. We both saw the exact same thing, and the fact that it was driving a little white Nova type car is why people find this story funny šŸ˜‚ in the drivers seat was something wearing a big black hood, hunched forward over the steering wheel. It was daylight, but neither of us saw any face inside the hood. So, they were driving towards the church and graveyard at speed, and we were driving away. I hate to say it, but we both say it looked very much like a grim reaper type character šŸ˜° I know it sounds funny, but I swear mine and my moms accounts of what we saw are exactly the same. This was 20 years ago, and we still talk about what we saw!!!! Weird šŸ‘»šŸ˜°

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 58

Rita Chevrolet

VIP Member
I lost one of my dogs two months ago suddenly from a massive heart attack when he was taken in minutes with nothing we could do for him. The other morning I came downstairs early just as it was getting light and I swear I saw him lying under the coat rack in the hallway exactly where he used to lie gently puffing like he always did. He has'nt left me after all I guess :)

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 56

Hailes

Thereā€™s been a few little things, nothing crazy....
A few years before my Mum died sheā€™d bought me a really beautiful ring an ice blue aquamarine surrounded by diamonds and I wore it all the time and loved it. About a year after my mum died I had lost some weight, the ring now slightly too big and while walking through a car park and I felt the ring slip, I pulled my hand back to save it but it had already fallen, I heard a ping and it hit the side of an overflow drain bounced off went down the drain. I was completely gutted. Years later I was in the bathroom washing my hands when I heard a crack type sound from where the bath was. I looked over the edge of the bath to check for damage and in the middle of the bath was my ring. Missing two diamonds and the band was slightly misshapen but I couldnā€™t believe it and still donā€™t.

Next one is....I was raised by my grandparents and we had a dog for 16 years and the day after he died my Grandad and I heard the jingle of his collar and him bouncing down the stairs. The next day I was sat on sofa and looked into the kitchen and could see his tail wagging from behind the washing machine, I said nothing just sat watching and then my Grandad who was sat near me said ā€œ you can see his tail wagging too canā€™t youā€

And the last.....the day before my mil funeral I found out I was pregnant. She had always said how much she would love a granddaughter after four grandsons. We had a little girl and when she was about 4 weeks old I saw a medium who said that my little girl has already met her Nanna and that one day sheā€™ll show me this. When she was about 14 months old I went to get out of her cot and she was pointing up and smiling and saying ā€œ Nanna hugā€ repeatedly. When she was about 3 she was on her toy phone and said ā€œHello Nanna thanks for hugging me in the morning timeā€ I asked her what she meant and she said that Nanna comes and hugs her every morning. I asked her what Nanna looked like and she just said she had short hair and smiles. About 3 months later my husband said he was ready to have a pic of his mum up so we put it up that night and the next morning my daughter who had never seen a pic of her Nanna points straight at it and says ā€œ thatā€™s Nanna hello Nannaā€

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 54

lime

About ten years ago I lived in an old Victorian terraced house that had been converted into two flats. I lived on the ground floor and used to have terrible problems with the neighbours making noise. Almost like clockwork every night there'd be pacing back and forth, loud conversations, banging things, the sound of floors being scrubbed. I really didn't feel comfortable approaching them as I'm not the type so I called the landlord of the building to ask if he could have a discreet word about the noise as it starts at 9pm and goes on until the early hours. He said to me no one has been in the top floor flat for months. I was pretty taken aback and didn't know what to say so I just said sorry for wasting your time it must be coming from one of the other neighbours and left it.

It still completely baffled me because I could hear the noise and literally feel the vibrations coming directly above the rooms in my flat. If I'm honest 'ghosts' didn't come to mind because I don't really believe in that, and this felt very real not like something supernatural happening. That same night it happened again so I thought this is just ridiculous and went out into the hallway and up the stairs to the top floor flat. I knocked the door and it opened just enough with the chain latch still on. For some reason I wasn't expecting an answer so I just sort of said "oh hi, I live downstairs. Have you just moved in?" to which a woman replied in a deep Bristol accent "Aw, are we making too much noise? Sorry my love. We'll try to keep it down", I said "oh it's okay, it's just I have to get up early and couldn't sleep the past few nights". She took the chain latch off and opened the door further. She looked like she was wearing an apron and some raggedy dress/skirt underneath and a hairnet or something on her head covering her hair. So anyway I said "sorry to disturb you" and started making my goodbyes and she said "It's alright my love, it's nice to have the company" I half-laughed and went to walk back down the stairs then I stopped and said "you said we", she replies "sorry my love?", I said "you said we'll keep the noise down" and she says "oh, don't mind me my love" and scattered off slowly into the flat, saying goodnight.

The next day I rang the landlord again and said I'd spoken to a woman last night which is weird because you said there wasn't anyone living there. He sounded like he'd been caught out or something. He said he'd come round to the flat later that day to talk to me. He ended up telling me that he can never occupy the top floor flat for more than a few weeks because people complain of it being "haunted" with tenants telling stories of a cleaning lady that won't leave them alone. At this point I was actually laughing and kept asking so you're telling me I spoke to a ghost? And he had his head in his hands and just said "I don't know, I don't know anymore".

I stayed in the flat as I mentioned I didn't believe in ghosts but found the whole thing really odd. More and more strange things kept happening over the months like I would wake up and see shadow figures then turn the lights on and nothing would be there. One night I woke up and someone whispered "little tell tale" in my ear. The noises upstairs kept happening, though less frequently. Eventually a young couple moved in up stairs and after they'd been there for a week I heard the woman screaming the entire house down and thought "what's happened there". The next day I saw her in the hallway and asked if everything was okay last night? She laughed and said oh yes fine, it will sound crazy if I told you. I said 'go on...', she said that she woke up to someone stroking her hair and when she turned around it wasn't her boyfriend but a woman wearing a hairnet. As she screamed her boyfriend came running in who had left to go to the toilet. She said 'maybe I was having a nightmare, it just felt really real'. I said 'yeah probably'

At that point it was April and my tenancy was up in May. The day I left I got in the car and looked up at the building. In the very top window was a woman in a hairnet dusting the windows. I waved but it was as I couldn't catch her attention. I started the car and looked up as I drove off and she was gone.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 54

Miss guided

Off of Fortean Times;

Now this didn't actually happen to me, but my Uncle. I've been a bit of a lurker here, but heard this great story at the weekend, and thought you might be interested to hear it. So here it is posted with my Uncle's permission (albeit with names removed).

My Uncle was a Special Constable (volunteer policeman) for most of the '90s, and this happened in 1995. Him and his partner received a call to a quiet, middle class housing scheme of modern (1970s built) houses. It was early summer and late in the afternoon so still daylight. The report was that a woman had been found dead in her home; it's common in Scotland that the police are called to all "unexplained" deaths and will make a report on the death. Only a tiny fraction of these deaths become classified as "suspicious" and merit any further police investigation.

On arriving at the house they met the paramedics who were just getting ready to leave. The paramedics told my uncle and his partner that the death was of a 62 year old woman, who was found dead in the upstairs bedroom. The paramedics thought that it had been some form of embolism or haemorrhage but that the duty doctor had been called to formally confirm death. The paramedics told my Uncle and his partner that the family were downstairs in the lounge, and now that my Uncle and his partner had arrived they would go.

My Uncle and his partner then went into the house, which my uncle described as a normal semi detached suburban home. They went and spoke to the family and established that the woman lived alone (her two sons were grown up but lived nearby) and had been due to return from holiday late the previous night. Both her sons and her neice (who my Uncle thought looked about 17/18) had called the woman a number of times during the day, and having had no answer had gone round that afternoon and let themselves in. They had discovered the woman dead and phoned the ambulance.

My Uncle's partner stayed downstairs with the family, while my Uncle went upstairs to investigate the scene further. There were three bedrooms upstairs, the first had the door open and contained nothing of much interest. My Uncle noted that the house was very clean and well maintained; the woman was obviously houseproud. He then opened the door to the smallest bedroom, inside were two packed suitcases. He assumed that the woman arrived home late the previous night and left the suitcases in the spare bedroom intending to unpack them the next day.

Leaving the spare room he was startled to see a woman standing by the (closed) master bedroom door on the other side of the landing looking at him. He described the woman as older, grey haired, tall and well dressed in a grey wool jacket and skirt. She was looking at him with an expression of confusion on her face. My Uncle didn't think anyone else was up the stairs and was initially startled but naturally assumed this was a relative. He said something along the lines of "Sorry to have disturbed you, I didn't realise there was anyone else up here". The woman continued to look at him with a confused expression, but he assumed that as a relative she would naturally be confused by a sudden death. At that point the doorbell wrang and assuming (correctly) it was the duty doctor he said "I'll have to go get that", the woman continued to look at him but slowly nodded.

My Uncle answered the door to the duty doctor (a young man he has met before), after bringing him into the lounge for introductions he took him upstairs to the master bedroom while the partner continued to wait with the family downstairs. As my Uncle went up the stairs with the doctor he noted that the landing was now empty and assumed that the woman must have gone downstairs. Upon entering the master bedroom, however, he was shocked to see that the dead woman in the bed was the same woman he had just seen on the landing! Fortunately he was standing behind the doctor who didn't see the look of shock on his face.

While the doctor was doing the examination he managed to compose himself and told himself that they couldn't possibly be the same woman and that he must have seen a sister or a cousin who bore a strong resemblance.

The doctor officially pronounced death, and stated that it did indeed seem to be a haemorrhage or embolism, but this would be cofirmed by an autopsy. They then both went downstairs and the doctor discussed the arrangements for the body being collected before leaving.

My Uncle didn't see anyone in the lounge who looked like the woman he saw on the landing and asked the family where the older woman that was upstairs was. The family looked confused and said that there was no older woman there and that none of the friends or family had been upstairs since the police arrived. Very shocked, but with nothing else to do, my Uncle then left with his partner.

In the car my Uncle's partner asked why he had been asking about an older woman -reluctantly my Uncle explained. His partner at this time was an older, very serious, career officer and he expected to be the butt of every joke in the station for weeks to come. The partner though just slowly nodded his head and said "Aye, you see some weird sh*t in this job". He never mentioned it again to my Uncle or (to the best of his knowledge) anybody else.

After this story I asked my Uncle what had happened afterwards. He said that the autopsy has confirmed the woman died of natural causes and that their police report simply stated that there appeared to be no signs of any disturbance, and no evidence that anyone else had been present at the time of death.

I've tried to summarise my Uncle's story here. I did ask him more about his sighting of the woman and he said that she just seemed like a "normal" person - she wasn't transparent or blurry or anything and he felt no cold spots or feeling of unease.

• Wow
Reactions: 53

GiggleBee

VIP Member
I used to work in a nursery and I was dealing with breakfast in the pre-school room. I had two children with me and the rest were outside with another member of staff. I gave the two I had a glass of milk each and then turned to put some plates in the sink and I heard in my ear "*my name* don't forget about me" I turned thinking another child had come in but noone was there and the other two were still happily drinking their milk!

My mum also had an experience as a kid. Her and her two siblings went to the local graveyard to be nosey as kids do. They circled the graveyard and then were stood by the only entrance talking. They looked up and saw two people dressed in Victorian style clothing standing over two graves. My mum and her sister freaked and ran and it wasn't till they got home they realised they'd left my uncle in the graveyard!

I guess both these stories could have explanations to them but they're both quite freaky in my eyes. šŸ™ˆ

• Wow
Reactions: 53