True ghost stories 👻

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I very strongly think that places and objects can hold residual energy. Whenever I have ‘felt’ a presence in a house or building (usually unseen or corner of the eye job) I can usually tell if the energy is male/female adult/child and nice/unwelcoming. One example was visiting a new work friends house in the early 90s, he still lived with his parents and I was picking him up to go to the pub and I asked to use the toilet (it was a beautiful house and his parents later told me that the lounge was the original part of the house dating from the late 17th century and other parts had been added on over the years). Anyway I digress, my friend told me the only toilet they had was in the family bathroom which was upstairs and at the end of the landing. As I went up stairs I felt a feeling of apprehension in my stomach and I knew that if I continued to the top and turned into the hallway that something was waiting for me and that that something was a little girl (my friend was the youngest child in the house and he was 22!). I don’t know how I knew this or why this child was waiting for me but I decided not to visit the loo and went back downstairs. I visited the house many times after this and when toilet trips were unavoidable I would literally run along the hallway, head down eyes half shut, incase I should see the child, sometimes I felt her there strongly and other times not so much. I wouldn’t say she was a friendly energy either I definitely felt an air of spitefulness there. I am still friends with this guy but his parents have long since sold the house, I did ask him once, many years later, if the house had any ghosts, he said that he and his family had never seen anything but a friend of one of his sisters had stayed the night and said she had woken in the night to see a small girl staring at her from the end of her bed, she was sharing a room with the sister and woke her up but the small girl had disappeared and the friend was a gibbering wreck but they just put it down to her having too much to drink/a bad dream.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I don’t like my house and it doesn’t like me either. Every time I try to do any work here, it resists. Nothing is ever straightforward. I’m happy here but it’s not the house for me.

I don’t think it’s ghosts though it’s an old house that has had some interesting previous owners.

I read up on the first occupants after tracing them in old Post Office files. They were the headmaster and matron of a reform school for girls. Not a couple (on paper), just co-workers.

I’ve met a guy who grew up here and is now elderly. He wrote to me and asked to visit and see his old house. When he did come he showed me where his aunt died 😂

The previous owner to me is a well known academic who is in the news now and again with their studies. The one before that I’ve met at the church.

Another owner was a reasonably famous artist (there are several websites of his works). There’s a false wall on the top floor and it’s coming down soon, I’m hoping to find an original painting behind it, sell it and retire on the proceeds… one can dream.

The energy here is heavy, that’s how I’d describe it.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I’m so glad I found this thread and have spent the last couple of days reading everyone’s experiences, so I thought I’d share some of my own.

My childhood home was built in the very early 1900s and and before my parents bought it in the 70s nobody had ever seemed to stay there for very long. My parents said that when they went to view it, it had a lovely welcoming feel and that the house had almost chosen them.
We’ve had quite a few experiences in the house, nothing regular or nasty. My Dad once saw a pair of mens legs wearing paisley pyjama bottoms floating up through the loft hatch..he found this hilarious (he used to be the biggest skeptic you’d ever meet).
My Mum once found a curtain ring on the floor of the kitchen which had somehow come off the curtain and curtain pole. Neither the curtain pole or ring was broken and there was a space on the curtain where it had come from.
The weirdest experience we had was one morning when we were all getting ready for school/work. Myself and my brothers were all in our teens and my brother had just come back from his early morning paper round and had brought his bike in the house and thrown his gloves in the passageway by the front door. A little while later, my Mum had walked into the passage to find one of the gloves stuck to the top of the wall, spread out like someone had their hand in it. She called to us all to come and look and it stayed there for quite a while before just dropping down by itself. Needless to say, we were all a bit freaked out!

I have quite a few more experiences I’ll share when I have a bit more time.

• Wow
Reactions: 30
Sorry if this has already been discussed but has anyone ever experienced poltergeist activity before my aunt regularly had poltergeist activity in her house witnessed by several people not me unfortunately find it fascinating

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Sorry if this has already been discussed but has anyone ever experienced poltergeist activity before my aunt regularly had poltergeist activity in her house witnessed by several people not me unfortunately find it fascinating
I find the subject absolutely fascinating and horrific at the same time😂 and am very glad I have never had any poltergeist experiences but like you would be interested in hearing others experiences (and will have a cushion ready to hide behind lol)

Reactions: 11
A friend rented a terrace and could not abide being in the second bedroom, when she researched the property she found that a man had murdered his two infant children in the house at the turn of the century. It really was the most incredibly sad story.
I wish I had not thought of it before going to bed as didn't sleep well 😔.
Like I said luckily she was renting so was able to move on quite quickly.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
My old bloke has recently started his games again after being quiet for some time

First off the kitchen scissors vanished from the drawer along with one of my sharp cutting knives from the block by the sink; I turned the kitchen upside down searching, I had all the drawers out, cleaned them throughly whilst I was at it then put it all back but there was no sign of the missing items so I replaced them. OH said it was me not putting things back where they should be again of course (thats rich coming from him!), but why the hell would I do that then drive myself barmy looking for them?

Anyway last week (about a month after the things vanished) I was rummaging in the drawer looking for the scissors to open some packaging and there on top of the other pair of snips was the original pair alongside the missing knife which is odd because I never keep sharp knives in that cutlery drawer anyway; He's brought them back again after another of his Games :)

• Wow
I don’t like my house and it doesn’t like me either. Every time I try to do any work here, it resists. Nothing is ever straightforward. I’m happy here but it’s not the house for me.

I don’t think it’s ghosts though it’s an old house that has had some interesting previous owners.

I read up on the first occupants after tracing them in old Post Office files. They were the headmaster and matron of a reform school for girls. Not a couple (on paper), just co-workers.

I’ve met a guy who grew up here and is now elderly. He wrote to me and asked to visit and see his old house. When he did come he showed me where his aunt died 😂

The previous owner to me is a well known academic who is in the news now and again with their studies. The one before that I’ve met at the church.

Another owner was a reasonably famous artist (there are several websites of his works). There’s a false wall on the top floor and it’s coming down soon, I’m hoping to find an original painting behind it, sell it and retire on the proceeds… one can dream.

The energy here is heavy, that’s how I’d describe it.
Have you thought about a house cleansing? It can do wonders for stagnant energy.

Reactions: 4
Have you thought about a house cleansing? It can do wonders for stagnant energy.
My friend did that by burning sage at her place. She’d recently divorced, moved and felt negative energy. Her house is fabulously warm and welcoming.

Reactions: 10
My friend did that by burning sage at her place. She’d recently divorced, moved and felt negative energy. Her house is fabulously warm and welcoming.
Try good old salt and water round the edges of every room, especially in the corners. Noise, particularly a bell or a drum, as well, again in the corners especially, ceiling to floor. You should be able to hear a difference in the sound, much clearer.

No room in my house has right angles, a few don’t have proper corners! It’s narrower at the front than at the back so spreads out. I’ve got bay windows in 5 rooms and 2 rooms are L shaped 😂

Character I think they call it

My old bloke has recently started his games again after being quiet for some time

First off the kitchen scissors vanished from the drawer along with one of my sharp cutting knives from the block by the sink; I turned the kitchen upside down searching, I had all the drawers out, cleaned them throughly whilst I was at it then put it all back but there was no sign of the missing items so I replaced them. OH said it was me not putting things back where they should be again of course (thats rich coming from him!), but why the hell would I do that then drive myself barmy looking for them?

Anyway last week (about a month after the things vanished) I was rummaging in the drawer looking for the scissors to open some packaging and there on top of the other pair of snips was the original pair alongside the missing knife which is odd because I never keep sharp knives in that cutlery drawer anyway; He's brought them back again after another of his Games :)
In the 80s my auntie came home to all the knives from the drawer lined up neatly on the kitchen top. Husband working abroad, nobody else due to go in and no sign of a break in.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
I wonder did anybody experiencing these feelings do any research to see if anything particularly bad happened at the property or would you rather not know?
I remember trying to find info but nothing came up. I would love to even know if other owners felt the same.

Reactions: 5
In US TV ghost programmes they seem absolutely fixated on whether anyone died in the house. Any house older than about 70-80 years old, this seems quite likely. Unless it was something pretty nasty that is likely to leave a stain on the energy, I don't see that the ordinary ebb and flow of life would make much of a difference. An old lady slipping away in her sleep isn't really going to be haunting the house in the normal way of things.

Reactions: 13

This happens in our house from time to time! Things will go missing and turn up in really obvious places. And usually after I’ve got that frustrated and shouted out FFS lol so who ever it is is a sod 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
This happens in our house from time to time! Things will go missing and turn up in really obvious places. And usually after I’ve got that frustrated and shouted out FFS lol so who ever it is is a sod 😂
Thats exactly it! My bloke has moved house with me 8 times so its clearly not the property he belongs to - he is mine! He has crossed the Channel with me too into each of the three places we have lived in here.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I thought I’d pop back on and share a couple more experiences I’ve had in my parents house.

Myself, my Husband and our two young children moved in with my Mum and Dad whilst we waited for our new home to be ready. I would often wake up in the night with a black shadow hovering over me and I would always swing out trying to punch it away, and it would just disappear. I also suffered terribly with sleep paralysis and would be absolutely terrified that there was something in the room, but couldn’t move. On one occasion, I felt myself being pulled upwards towards the ceiling by something…obviously it was just a dream but I find it odd that I’ve never had anything like that since we moved to our new house, and we’ve been here over eleven years now.

One day I was in the house with my two young children and everyone else was out. We were watching tv together when I heard a thud from our bedroom above us. I’ve always been one to go and investigate so I went upstairs to find out what had made the noise. We had a shelf in our room where we kept our toiletries and one of my impulse sprays was on the floor, in the middle of the room but standing upright. I’m quite a rational person but can’t work out how quite a thin spray could’ve fallen off the shelf that far and landed in an upright position.

Anyway, even though I was in my late twenties I waited by the living room window for my Mum to come home 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
i love this thread apart from at night 😂 i have a few stories and also a couple of haunted work places but ill share them another time as they would be quite long. heres one thats weird, not quite ghostly.

about 6 or 7 years ago i was out for dinner with a friend (celebrating galentines day 🤸‍♀️), anyway after dinner we were in town and our busses went in opposite directions and she waited with me for mines 1st. it was just before 10pm.

as soon as i sat down on the bus i instantly said in my own head that i was gonna get mugged, like matter-of-fact. it just kept repeating and i got an image of myself walking home from the bus and being attacked.

i went to phone my mum to ask if she would walk halfway and my phone died which made nervous. the bus got to the top of town and i thought about getting off and going to the bus station for another route or taxi but decided to stay put and couldnt shake the awful feeling.

got to the bus stop and i kept my phone in my hand to pretend i was on a call when i got off (use to pretend it was my dad as he passed and helped a little). noticed the guy behind me was breathing down my neck and as soon as the doors closed he attacked.

luckily the bus stopped at a set of lights and heard me screaming or else i dont know what.. the road was dead that night.

so fast forward a couple of weeks after and i need to go back to work, i took the different bus home about 5.30pm in daylight and busy bus, and another guy was waiting at the stop i was getting off. he seemed a bit off and followed me down the road and did the exact same thing (they both asked me for the time) except i told him to duck off infront of other people. if i went that other way that night i feel it would have been worse as the 2nd route is darker and quieter.

so yeah that premonition/gut feeling was spot on and ive had a couple more about other people but not as strong as that.

sorry this is long just wanted to share as its pretty weird.

i meant to share a podcast called Paranormalish on spotify, loads of great stories and some from celebs/singers. also a book called Messages by Bonnie McEneaney. her husband passed away on 9/11 and she shares the experiences of many families that were affected that day. its a lovely, sad and shocking read.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Houses definitely have energy, either good or bad. Growing up our house always felt scary, I’d run from room to room not looking up incase I saw what I felt was looking at me. At night I’d always hear whispers. I thought that was normal. Until the house (140 yr old) me & my husband bought feels totally different. Even though I suspect there’s people/energy with us. It’s warm and homely. Everyone says they automatically feel cosy, at home & relaxed in our house. I feel like it’s always been a happy home and that love has stayed.

• Heart
@catergorically_stupid - that sounds terrifying I hope you were ok ❤

I know what you mean about moments of absolute clarity though. I used to work in a huge building the canteen serviced 300+ people, one December morning went down for breakfast and the cashier said 'oh were putting one £100 voucher in a cracker to give out this lunch'. I turned to my friend and said 'I'm going to win that' ...the thought hadn't even gone through my brain....it just came out my mouth! Friend was like 'err ok' 😄. Come lunch different cashier handing out the crackers from an industrial sized box...I won !
Another is one summer my MIL came around to look at hotels for an Xmas trip we were planning, she started showing me hotels online and I remember just having this moment where my mind went 'but she won't be here' the thought was so shockingly sudden and clear (she wasn't ill and of course I didn't vocalise it). Several months later she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and sadly passed 3 weeks after that. In hindsight I really wish I'd had casually said something about her getting a check up but worried about sounding crazy 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
@catergorically_stupid - that sounds terrifying I hope you were ok ❤

I know what you mean about moments of absolute clarity though. I used to work in a huge building the canteen serviced 300+ people, one December morning went down for breakfast and the cashier said 'oh were putting one £100 voucher in a cracker to give out this lunch'. I turned to my friend and said 'I'm going to win that' ...the thought hadn't even gone through my brain....it just came out my mouth! Friend was like 'err ok' 😄. Come lunch different cashier handing out the crackers from an industrial sized box...I won !
Another is one summer my MIL came around to look at hotels for an Xmas trip we were planning, she started showing me hotels online and I remember just having this moment where my mind went 'but she won't be here' the thought was so shockingly sudden and clear (she wasn't ill and of course I didn't vocalise it). Several months later she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and sadly passed 3 weeks after that. In hindsight I really wish I'd had casually said something about her getting a check up but worried about sounding crazy 😔
Thank you 💖 im ok now, still have a bit of anxiety when out alone and made me more aware of people around me 😓 was more of a shock that i saw it coming tbh 😂😂

how crazy does it sound but its just like this strong feeling and an instant knowing without a doubt 🤯

im so sorry to hear that and i hope knowing shes not in pain brings you comfort ❤ x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.