Topshop Nostalgia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a load of Kate Moss Topshop and I charity shopped it as I went from an 8 to a 12 between age 16 and 22 :) obvs hate myself for that now, I wasn't very E bay savvy

Reactions: 4
I had a load of Kate Moss Topshop and I charity shopped it as I went from an 8 to a 12 between age 16 and 22 :) obvs hate myself for that now, I wasn't very E bay savvy
Kate Moss usually goes for original price or more on Ebay but is often dirt cheap on Depop. I think the Depop women mustn't value it much, I suppose they are a younger demographic.

Reactions: 6
Miss Selfridge and Topshop did up to a 16 in some styles but it was 1 per batch that a store got (remember being told this by a staff member) so it was usually snapped up quick! My style changed to be more alternative when I was about 16 but now that I'm old and boring but still plus size there is so much more choice, though the struggle to find good quality pieces is definitely an issue.

Kate Moss usually goes for original price or more on Ebay but is often dirt cheap on Depop. I think the Depop women mustn't value it much, I suppose they are a younger demographic.
My daughter sells my old stuff on Depop and my old Adidas gym gear fetched much more than I paid for it.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
It was really tough to find nice fashionable clothes over a 14 wasn’t it? (And to be fair to the slender of build, not many size 8s around then, my friend was tiny and she got very good at alterations!) I think warehouse did size 16 and maybe Etam and Richards (outing my great age) but Topshop/Miss Selfridge/Chelsea Girl only did 10-14 and there was much less difference between sizes then - think a 10 was 32-24-34 and a 14 36-28-38, so not exactly catering to a big demographic…my cousin is quite tall and she struggled too, trousers rarely came longer than a 32 and shoes tended to stop at 7.

How much more confidence we’d all have had if there were nice clothes like there are now, I wonder.
---
Favourite item from Topshop - floral dress c.2005 which I still wear every time it’s warm enough
Worst item - either some lilac corduroy skinny bootcuts (why?????) from approx 2000, or a horrible padded cotton coat with a very busy lining and a drawstring in a rank NHS blue, bought in about 1989 with my Christmas money!
Did anyone else have shops near them with communal changing rooms? The miss selfridge near me did and it was always traumatic for my insecure teenage self

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Oh god yes! I remember one had a crappy bit of chiffon in the corner and all us dumpy lasses would queue up for that and try not to look at the pretty confident girls just stripping off :(

• Sad
Reactions: 3
My daughter sells my old stuff on Depop and my old Adidas gym gear fetched much more than I paid for it.
Is Adidas trendy atm? I sold some 90s clothes on depop instead of ebay, because they were paying over the odds. A basic Kookai cotton top for £40 😆

• Wow
Is Adidas trendy atm? I sold some 90s clothes on depop instead of ebay, because they were paying over the odds. A basic Kookai cotton top for £40 😆
I’ve no idea what’s trendy! I’m in my fifties and cut about in cropped jeans, frilly tops, wedges and biker jackets.

Reactions: 1
I’d say adidas is eternally cool tbh. I’d check their Gucci collab to see if you have anything in similar colour ways or styles that you can put in the title for some SEO gaming lol

From what I‘ve heard, Adidas has a bit of a crisis atm because of Kanye West‘s antisemitic madness as their testimonial

Reactions: 2
Did anyone else have shops near them with communal changing rooms? The miss selfridge near me did and it was always traumatic for my insecure teenage self
Memory unlocked 😅 They had this in Mark One back in the 90s. Even as a kid it seemed totally bizarre to me!

Yes! I remember the terror of friends suggesting a try on in Bay Trading and hoping the curtain corner would be free!

I bought some Asos Topshop flares a couple of months ago. Fit so well but the colour has already run out of them. They were faded black, now they're light grey. Probably washed them three times? Appalling quality.

And tbf the Asos Design fits are shocking and bad quality. I've had to send back every single piece.

• Wow
I bought some Asos Topshop flares a couple of months ago. Fit so well but the colour has already run out of them. They were faded black, now they're light grey. Probably washed them three times? Appalling quality.

And tbf the Asos Design fits are shocking and bad quality. I've had to send back every single piece.
Yeah Gen z love online shopping so they must have gone seriously wrong somewhere :(

Yeah Gen z love online shopping so they must have gone seriously wrong somewhere :(
I guess their profit margins are getting tighter and tighter so the first thing that gets cut is the quality rather than the big bucks the people at the top make. But there are much more knowledgeable people here than little old me who's just a consumer lol.

I'm making huge generalisations here but Gen Z either seem to Vinted/charity shop sustainability huns or Shein/Boohoo tit quality but cheap price haul girlies. Not much inbetween.

Yeah I’m defs a millenial but consume modern Instagram fashion accounts- the only way to get that super on trend Instagram/tiktok beige look or holiday look is to shop PLT or shein? Designer looks are led by catwalk trends which Gen z don’t seem to follow so much

I guess their profit margins are getting tighter and tighter so the first thing that gets cut is the quality rather than the big bucks the people at the top make. But there are much more knowledgeable people here than little old me who's just a consumer lol.

I'm making huge generalisations here but Gen Z either seem to Vinted/charity shop sustainability huns or Shein/Boohoo tit quality but cheap price haul girlies. Not much inbetween.
Agree completely - I used to LOVE ASOS and a lot of us probably went from Topshop straight to ASOS (and now are left with nothing lol) and the both happened with both - they started out exactly what we wanted but kept chasing Insta thots who were more interested in cool fast fash brands!

With ASOS I will say I’m surprised cos they were always known as a super innovative brand that leveraged new technologies first (remember even 10 years ago having video on a PDP was unprecedented/✨innovative✨!) and were the first to make use of Google lens with their search by image function etc etc but admittedly that was in the early 2010s and you don’t rly hear much of that about them any more so maybe they let that ball drop? But the fast fash machine just moved quicker and has the margins to support bigger and more experienced teams I guess.

Idk what they could even do in the future to turn it around. There’s defs too much stuff on site I don’t even use it to get ideas anymore, I’ve not bought anything from there in years but can imagine it’s a quality roulette.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.