Topshop Nostalgia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I loved being able to filter for celeb style! Anyone remember how you could tick a box for a celeb and it would filter tons of things inspired by her or in her style? It was such a cool concept. I don’t know why they stopped
Yes I loved as seen on screen..

Reactions: 6
What is the quality of River Island stuff like these days? I saw some ads on Facebook and some nice items cropping up. Haven't shopped there in years.

Reactions: 1
What is the quality of River Island stuff like these days? I saw some ads on Facebook and some nice items cropping up. Haven't shopped there in years.
same, primark, River Island and New Look all take me back to my student/Uni days.

River island always felt a bit more glam and sexy
New Look felt a bit more basic but cheap and cheerful
Primark was for basics and leggings

Reactions: 2
I like the quality at River Island, generally. I bought a green sequin cami at Xmastime after a long search for one … then forgot to wear it. It’ll come out in the early summer for a couple of gigs I’m going to, I’m sure. I’ve bought my daughters Chelsea Girl tops in there too.

Early naughties were my favourite RI years.

Reactions: 3
I ordered from New Look after maybe 2/3 years and it's pretty much how I remember it - the styles I like but quality a bit shite for full price. Thankfully I bought stuff on sale!

New Look was always where I bought clothes from as it was more affordable than Topshop. I remember being 10 years old and my mum and sister taking me to pick out my own clothes for a birthday present and I felt so cool! Generation 915 was my jam and I continued shopping there for years. But I don't think the quality was ever really there for the price point and in more recent years I gave up on it completely because I wouldn't find anything good. I'll see how my recent purchases (a jumper and a cardigan) fare.

I've been shopping more at Zalando recently. They're European so carry different brands that you won't find on our high streets. Not saying that they are much better but I've found a few things and they always always put things on discount so I hardly ever pay full price for them. ETA: and a 100 day returns policy which gives me more time to change my mind haha.

Gen Z are definitely shopping online - shein, cider, ali express etc. They literally buy clothes for videos/photos and I feel like products are designed to look nice on camera but not IRL or at least look nice once because they're essentially disposable. I don't see a return for the high street any time soon. :(

Last edited:
I ordered from New Look after maybe 2/3 years and it's pretty much how I remember it - the styles I like but quality a bit shite for full price. Thankfully I bought stuff on sale!

New Look was always where I bought clothes from as it was more affordable than Topshop. I remember being 10 years old and my mum and sister taking me to pick out my own clothes for a birthday present and I felt so cool! Generation 915 was my jam and I continued shopping there for years. But I don't think the quality was ever really there for the price point and in more recent years I gave up on it completely because I wouldn't find anything good. I'll see how my recent purchases (a jumper and a cardigan) fare.

I've been shopping more at Zalando recently. They're European so carry different brands that you won't find on our high streets. Not saying that they are much better but I've found a few things and they always always put things on discount so I hardly ever pay full price for them. ETA: and a 100 day returns policy which gives me more time to change my mind haha.

Gen Z are definitely shopping online - shein, cider, ali express etc. They literally buy clothes for videos/photos and I feel like products are designed to look nice on camera but not IRL or at least look nice once because they're essentially disposable. I don't see a return for the high street any time soon. :(
It’s ALL about video content these days. Maybe more for the magazine thread but written content is dying out :( I miss the cool fashion blogs on WordPress

gen Z are also thrifting/buying via Vinted and Depop/buying vintage as they are a demographic that is a lot more conscious about consumption that previous.

My very working class and very thrifty grandma used to take me around charity shops as a kid, and it was seen as a bit naff (I loved it but it was a common dig to say someone looked like they’d gotten dressed from Oxfam etc). Back then, it was mostly older ladies shopping there.

in my early 20s in the 00s, there was a lot of vintage shopping available but it was seen as a bit indie and hipster and wasn’t especially mainstream.

nowadays, charity shops are full of all types of people, including teens. Vintage shops have popped up everywhere, and are super busy/mainstream.

it’s similar to food - I went through periods of vegetarianism and veganism in the early teenies. Back then, it was Linda McCartney or Quorn and it was pretty limited choice wise, plus you’d need to go to a bigger supermarket. I used to get almond milk but could never finish the cartoon and it would be about £2, compared to much cheaper milk. Nowadays the choice still baffles me - TONs of meat alternatives and at Tesco express too. There’s a variety of choice of milks from almond to soy to oat, and available at mainstream coffee places too. The change has been so rapid it blows my mind.

I get a little nostalgic for the days of topshop and the reign of the high street, but ultimately I’m glad it’s dying out. It was a toxic industry; from Phil Green at the top, through to the focus on ultra skinny models right through to the environmental damage mass production causes and the humanitarian abuses in sweat shops. Rotten from the top to the bottom.
---
Got given a load of ASOS vouchers for Xmas and am off to the post office later to return EVERYTHING I bought as the quality and cuts are so terrible. I can see why they are doing so badly 😭
the CEO changed a few years ago. The previous CEO had been with ASOS for years and had really grown it as a business and established it as one of the biggest online fashion retailers, even despite stiff competition from the likes of Boohoo, missguided etc.

the new CEO took over a few years ago and I’ve noticed a rapid decline. The clothing is pure wank, but also in terms of service. I see a lot more mistakes, it’s longer to process returns. You have to watch returns like a hawk because there have been several occasions where I wasn’t actually refunded the money I was supposed to have been. Then the ASOS premier offer has gone downhill. It’s changed, it used to be unlimited next day delivery. Now it has conditions and minimum spends.

I want to be able to trust that when I buy something online, the order will be correct. And if I return it, I don’t want to constantly have to check up to see if it’s been accepted and then check my bank account over a space of 2 weeks to make sure it’s gone through. CBA with that. This year was the first time I didn’t renew my ASOS premier in 5 years and I honestly haven’t missed it. My spending with ASOS is probably a 10th of what it used to be.

last year I bought a dress for £30 that looked beautiful and structured and draped on the model. When it arrived the material was thin, it was utterly shapeless and the zip stuck out/was super cheaply made. It was a rag that I’d have been embarrassed to wear, and was worth a few quid tops.

they must’ve worked absolute magic to make it look decent on the model, but what’s the point? Just stop selling shapeless tat that someone had to slave away in a dungeon to make, that will only ever end up in landfill. Such a waste.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
gen Z are also thrifting/buying via Vinted and Depop/buying vintage as they are a demographic that is a lot more conscious about consumption that previous.

My very working class and very thrifty grandma used to take me around charity shops as a kid, and it was seen as a bit naff (I loved it but it was a common dig to say someone looked like they’d gotten dressed from Oxfam etc). Back then, it was mostly older ladies shopping there.

in my early 20s in the 00s, there was a lot of vintage shopping available but it was seen as a bit indie and hipster and wasn’t especially mainstream.

nowadays, charity shops are full of all types of people, including teens. Vintage shops have popped up everywhere, and are super busy/mainstream.

it’s similar to food - I went through periods of vegetarianism and veganism in the early teenies. Back then, it was Linda McCartney or Quorn and it was pretty limited choice wise, plus you’d need to go to a bigger supermarket. I used to get almond milk but could never finish the cartoon and it would be about £2, compared to much cheaper milk. Nowadays the choice still baffles me - TONs of meat alternatives and at Tesco express too. There’s a variety of choice of milks from almond to soy to oat, and available at mainstream coffee places too. The change has been so rapid it blows my mind.

I get a little nostalgic for the days of topshop and the reign of the high street, but ultimately I’m glad it’s dying out. It was a toxic industry; from Phil Green at the top, through to the focus on ultra skinny models right through to the environmental damage mass production causes and the humanitarian abuses in sweat shops. Rotten from the top to the bottom.
---

the CEO changed a few years ago. The previous CEO had been with ASOS for years and had really grown it as a business and established it as one of the biggest online fashion retailers, even despite stiff competition from the likes of Boohoo, missguided etc.

the new CEO took over a few years ago and I’ve noticed a rapid decline. The clothing is pure wank, but also in terms of service. I see a lot more mistakes, it’s longer to process returns. You have to watch returns like a hawk because there have been several occasions where I wasn’t actually refunded the money I was supposed to have been. Then the ASOS premier offer has gone downhill. It’s changed, it used to be unlimited next day delivery. Now it has conditions and minimum spends.

I want to be able to trust that when I buy something online, the order will be correct. And if I return it, I don’t want to constantly have to check up to see if it’s been accepted and then check my bank account over a space of 2 weeks to make sure it’s gone through. CBA with that. This year was the first time I didn’t renew my ASOS premier in 5 years and I honestly haven’t missed it. My spending with ASOS is probably a 10th of what it used to be.

last year I bought a dress for £30 that looked beautiful and structured and draped on the model. When it arrived the material was thin, it was utterly shapeless and the zip stuck out/was super cheaply made. It was a rag that I’d have been embarrassed to wear, and was worth a few quid tops.

they must’ve worked absolute magic to make it look decent on the model, but what’s the point? Just stop selling shapeless tat that someone had to slave away in a dungeon to make, that will only ever end up in landfill. Such a waste.
The old ASOS CEO now works for Matches! Bit of a shift to luxury...

• Wow
Reactions: 3

---

God yeah I remember when ‘do you get your clothes from Oxfam’ was a common put down.

This super cool girl I was in the 6th form with was known for getting cute little baby t’s (late 90s) from charity shops but everyone else followed the crowd to River island etc (yawn).

Yeah, charity shopping is definitely not looked down on anymore and I have to explain to my parents that I like buying secondhand for environmental reasons.

It's a weird dichotomy at the moment, I felt like secondhand, depop and vinted shopping was becoming so much cooler and was going to be the norm but then with tiktok we went BACK to the ultra fast fashion haul days that we had on youtube back in the day so it feels like there are two extremes.

I'm on both depop and vinted. Depop has a younger userbase and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to try and get basic information about an item from some of these girls. And certain items I refuse to buy secondhand due to difficult sizing so I always end up back at the high street cause then at least there's no money lost and an item I have to get rid of if a dress looks funny on me or whatever.

Reactions: 5
Yeah, charity shopping is definitely not looked down on anymore and I have to explain to my parents that I like buying secondhand for environmental reasons.

It's a weird dichotomy at the moment, I felt like secondhand, depop and vinted shopping was becoming so much cooler and was going to be the norm but then with tiktok we went BACK to the ultra fast fashion haul days that we had on youtube back in the day so it feels like there are two extremes.

I'm on both depop and vinted. Depop has a younger userbase and I can't tell you how frustrating it is to try and get basic information about an item from some of these girls. And certain items I refuse to buy secondhand due to difficult sizing so I always end up back at the high street cause then at least there's no money lost and an item I have to get rid of if a dress looks funny on me or whatever.
I buy from Vinted sometimes but tbh I’ve found it a gamble, I received multiple things in the past with undisclosed flaws or stains and it’s a pain to go chasing after a refund, especially if it’s like a £5 item. But those £5’s add up fast if you’re not actually wanting to wear what you’ve received!

I've only had an issue a couple of times but it is so easy for people to get away with lying, it's not ideal!

god I remember when I was a kid and my mum would shop at charity shops (because you know, poverty) I'd be so ashamed and scared someone from school would see me and tell everyone I shopped there. I stood outside like a bellend lol

between that and trying to find a "posh" carrier bag that wasn't farm foods to carry my cooking stuff into school on food tech days.. lol

• Heart
Reactions: 9
god I remember when I was a kid and my mum would shop at charity shops (because you know, poverty) I'd be so ashamed and scared someone from school would see me and tell everyone I shopped there. I stood outside like a bellend lol

between that and trying to find a "posh" carrier bag that wasn't farm foods to carry my cooking stuff into school on food tech days.. lol
hahaha I remember exhausting that ONE selfridges bag I had for the exact same thing 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
This thread is making me so nostalgic for my old clothes! I have always bought from charity shops/raided my parents wardrobes but I had some absolutely beautiful things from high street shops. if I’d realised how quality would change, I’d have stored things more as I would def wear some of my 90s clothes now. I loved Warehouse and Oasis and then when Topshop went good I lived in their stuff. I pined for Miss Selfridge clothes in my teens (I was/am an indie Cindy and they had such cool things) but my 32G boobs would never go in their 36” size 14s :( and my legs were too short for their 32” trousers! I did have some lovely skirts from there though.
Pricing was probably similar to now and I think that’s part of the problem, I used to pay £40-50 for new jeans in the early 90s and they aren’t going to be the same standard for that now. I splurged on a few pairs of Diesel/CK etc in the late 90s and you got what you paid for, I reluctantly parted with some recently as they were too much of their time for me to ever wear (rise so low I had to wear thermals in June, boot flares with gold bits etc) I do have some designer ones from eBay which were rrp £220 and they are nice but not 90s quality! I don’t have a lot of money for clothes but would happily pay £150 for jeans if they were as good as my old ones. Levi’s were like paper the last time I tried some on, no comparison to my ancient, now cut off 501s, the price tag isn’t justified.
I loved topshop jeans in the 00s (Duke! Baxter! Still have some Jamies), weirdly I’ve found Next are actually the best now for fit (I’m small with a big arse) and reasonably nice denim for the price, but you have to search for the decent cuts as some can be rather depressing. They did some amazingly well cut skinnies about five years ago, which I am hanging onto as I’m sure I’ll wear them again.

Reactions: 9
I always wanted to be able to shop in Topshop. I’ve been plus size all my life and I did have some bits from there when I was like 12 or so (when I was a size 14) but then as I got older the only thing I could buy was socks or bits of accessories.
I’m a size 18 now and I absolutely love the fact they now do Curve. I’m about a size 19 as I can fit into the 18’s but they’re a tiny bit on the small side- I have a 20 which is a tiny bit big. I wish they had gone up to a size 28 when I was growing up- I used to live in horrid Evans stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It was really tough to find nice fashionable clothes over a 14 wasn’t it? (And to be fair to the slender of build, not many size 8s around then, my friend was tiny and she got very good at alterations!) I think warehouse did size 16 and maybe Etam and Richards (outing my great age) but Topshop/Miss Selfridge/Chelsea Girl only did 10-14 and there was much less difference between sizes then - think a 10 was 32-24-34 and a 14 36-28-38, so not exactly catering to a big demographic…my cousin is quite tall and she struggled too, trousers rarely came longer than a 32 and shoes tended to stop at 7.

How much more confidence we’d all have had if there were nice clothes like there are now, I wonder.
---
Favourite item from Topshop - floral dress c.2005 which I still wear every time it’s warm enough
Worst item - either some lilac corduroy skinny bootcuts (why?????) from approx 2000, or a horrible padded cotton coat with a very busy lining and a drawstring in a rank NHS blue, bought in about 1989 with my Christmas money!

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.