Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Following a convo with @LavaFlake thought it’d be fun to discuss all things topshop and ponder on why / how it went so wrong for them? I know it happened ages ago now but w/e feel free to share your fav topshop items or memories!

I will mourn the loss of:
* the chunky nu rave MySpace inspired acrylic necklaces
* the ballet flats that stank approx 3 days after purchase
* the sunglasses!
* the early generation of bloggers with minted parents who always had everything topshop
* topshop makeup! And those bloggers always pushing the rumour it was made in the same factory as MAC?
* Kate moss - does gen z have an equivalent?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 57

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
Pic from google but was it even a night out in 2010 if it didn’t involve a topshop bodycon dress and 100 dernier tights 😂

ADD93D31-64B1-42B2-B69B-4CDEEDF842B8.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40

@^^¥

I've just found some of my old bits out 😍 (sorry for the quick double post)

IMG_20220505_120126_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20220505_120218_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120224_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120230_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120235_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120240_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120244_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120250_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120259_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120325_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120352_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220505_120414_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20220505_120421_HDR~2.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 37
They used to do proper good socks but stopped a few years ago and only did boring plain gym-style socks. I love an obnoxious sock. I had multiple pairs with dinosaurs on, some were even sparkly. Since we're branching out from Topshop, does anyone else remember Paul Frank? This flippin monkey was everywhere in the early-to-mid 2000s. Apparently they're still going but it looks so dated now.

Nd9GcSAMIxQPDVva_IDmhs6Jv8plIEUi3okMaORJQ&usqp=CAU.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

Traazers

VIP Member
Oh my god this thread! I remember this era so much although I was too poor for Topshop growing up - my regular outfit of grey skinnies, ballet pumps and two vest tops (one was always spotty) were from H&M but every piece of jewellery was from the Topshop sale rack during this era. I had two topshop cardigans that I wore to DEATH purely because they were from there, and I remember getting my first temp job when I was 17 and going straight to Topshop up the road on my lunch break every Friday when I got paid.
Did anyone else have the Kate Moss perfume?! I bloody loved it

ETA
I found a pic of the outfit! With the top shop cardigan that didn’t really go with anything but was worn constantly. How aggressively 2009 is this pic?!

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

Silverback

VIP Member
It might just be me but I wonder if people are turned off of shopping on ASOS because there is waaaaaaaayyy too much choice! Even with filters I can’t be fucked to wade through 6000 cardigans or whatever.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

DisgruntledGoat

VIP Member
I had borderline hypothermia for the entirety of 2005-2010 from wearing no shoe that wasn’t the ballet pumps which were barely more substantial than actual ballet slippers with above the ankle skinny jeans (show off those basic foot tattoos, or you’re nobody). Whatever the weather.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
This thread is hilarious - scrolling through and smiling! I bought one of the eBay dupes of that velvet dress and the elastane content must have been 100%, it was so tight in a worryingly powerful way.

Does anyone remember the Henry Holland suspender tights? I was never a bad enough b for them

ABA445FA-99F1-4B2B-A214-823EFC6E60C8.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

under the ivy

VIP Member
I really wanted the Kate Moss floral tea blouse. I still search eBay for it.

Anyone remember MOTO jeans?

I also loved their make-up range! The black kohl eyeliner pencil stayed put for hours.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
My favourite (at the time) purchase from Topshop was a silver tie circa 2005. I wore it Avril Lavigne-style over a t-shirt and it was also around the same time I constantly wore a cord trilby and enormous baggy cord trousers. Fashion? I don't know her. The only item of clothing I bought from there that stood the test of time is a heavy green coat with pleather elbow patches and loads of pockets, two of which are big enough to fit half a 20cm cake in. Topshop themselves may have died but my coat will live on forever.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27

Belulah

VIP Member
Does anyone remember Punky Fish? I had one of their bags as a P.E. bag for a nano second. V. alternative for rural Norfolk!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27

Grizzlybear

VIP Member
Here for this 👌

Boy boxers, those weird y front things, the jewellery, the ballet flats!!!

Remember their 3 for £10? Vests and 3 for £18 plain babydoll t shirts? I had a few of the Kate moss bits! I’m sure I still have a shrug type thing from there in my mum’s!

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Dipdab

VIP Member
I did love going to the Oxford st store as a teen used to feel so grown up. Me and my sister used to go on Saturdays sometimes and hope we would get “spotted” by a modelling agency 😂 (I cringe at that now).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

schmetterling

Never forget this tasteful combination (bonus points for getting an upside down cross T-shirt in there too)

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 14.24.25.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

bunnyboo

VIP Member
I wore this Topshop Sid and Nancy tshirt to DEATH when I was a teenager.. omg memories :LOL:

Screenshot 2021-07-06 at 20.04.05.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25

Octopies

Chatty Member
Oh I love this thread.

When I was at school (left in 2010) it was trendy to carry your P.E kit around in a carrier bag (there wasn’t the environmental stigma back then…)

The carrier bag was a status symbol and showed the whole school what you could afford and where you shopped. Top tier was somewhere like Abercrombie and fitch or hollister (there wasn’t even one near us!) and I distinctly remember the gasp a girl called Paige got when she dared to bring her kit in one of those la senza carrier bags (gasp, she wears pants!!)

Anyway the reason I’m telling you this is because those white-with-black-writing topshop carrier bags were the sign of a truly classy lady. I never had anything from topshop until I started earning my own money. It was such an aspirational shop for me.

My mum only shopped in Matalan so I never participated in the carrier bag wars aside from a truly spectacular term when I borrowed a friends green river island carrier bag and felt like the dogs bollocks.
D974298B-EBDC-438D-AF67-5CF1ADC36C4C.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24

clueless

Chatty Member
Eee! I found a Topshop jacket that I used to own in the noughties on Vinted and it's just arrived, in fantastic condition and beautiful. It maybe wasn't worn much by the seller, but is in excellent condition for being from that long ago, it speaks to the higher quality that they used to have. I'm so happy to have found it! Takes me right back 🥰

I wish I'd kept more of my clothes from back then, everything was so much nicer than these days. I hardly like anything that's out now.

• Heart
Reactions: 23