Topshop Nostalgia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
1684362147024.png
From the Popsy thread but this is also why I buy linen/cotton off vinted. It's impossible to find breathable fabrics that aren't see through

Reactions: 5
Has anyone bought anything from Faithfull the Brand? The market themselves as being good quality and price themselves that way lol. A few of their dresses on eBay have caught my eye because I'm not paying £150+ for a new dress lol but obviously you can't really return if the quality etc doesn't match up!

Reactions: 1
Has anyone bought anything from Faithfull the Brand? The market themselves as being good quality and price themselves that way lol. A few of their dresses on eBay have caught my eye because I'm not paying £150+ for a new dress lol but obviously you can't really return if the quality etc doesn't match up!
I have a few things and love them - one of the things I really love is that so much is available in linen, cotton and silk compared to a similarly priced brand like Rixo which is synthetics city. Everything I’ve had is super flattering and always gets compliments.

Reactions: 2
I have a few things and love them - one of the things I really love is that so much is available in linen, cotton and silk compared to a similarly priced brand like Rixo which is synthetics city. Everything I’ve had is super flattering and always gets compliments.

Ahhh this is fab thank you! Going to take the plunge then!

I miss Topshop! It was so easy to go in there and buy things!
Same. It was my go to place if I needed something quickly. Like if you knew you needed some work pants or a jacket or a new dress or whatever you would always be able to find SOMETHING you liked, even if it was a little overpriced. I find myself going into Zara and half the time I see loads of nice stuff but the other half I can't find anything I'm looking for and the size mediums always sell out. Plus my local is the manchester exchange zara which is bleeping horrendous, its always so busy.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The topshop on Oxford street was an experience in its own right. The street doesn’t feel the same now, even compared to 4 or 5 years ago.

my shopping habits have personally changed so much now though. I used to pop into the topshop near St Paul’s after work, or drop by Oxford street for a browse after work - and inevitably be tempted to buy a ton.

working from home I just don’t have that temptation or urge anymore. Plus with brands like Zara, I just think… I can probably wait a little while and this will be listed on Depop. It’ll be cheaper and I’ll not feel guilty for killing the planet.

I was in Kingston shopping recently and going through H&M and Zara etc just wasn’t as fun as it used to be. It’s so weird becausenin my 20s going to a shopping centre or Oxford street was an *event* in itself. Now it’s just… cba. Give me the thrill of a £3 vintage dress from Vinted arriving in the post over a long Zara queue with rude employees looool
---
I find it so bizarre when I see a dress in the likes of Reiss, costing hundreds and it being made of polyester…like, I know not all polyester is the same grade but it’s plastic at the end of the day.

and I *despise* when brands make a beautiful silk dress and… line it with polyester. The beauty of silk is that it’s like weight a breathable. The opposite of polyester!!! Why do they do this?!

I don’t GAF if linen wrinkles either. Because it’s still better than wearing plastic.

cotton, linen, silk, wool and viscose are so hard to come by on the high street now. It’s depressing. Maybe less so viscose/tencel, but still

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The topshop on Oxford street was an experience in its own right. The street doesn’t feel the same now, even compared to 4 or 5 years ago.

my shopping habits have personally changed so much now though. I used to pop into the topshop near St Paul’s after work, or drop by Oxford street for a browse after work - and inevitably be tempted to buy a ton.

working from home I just don’t have that temptation or urge anymore. Plus with brands like Zara, I just think… I can probably wait a little while and this will be listed on Depop. It’ll be cheaper and I’ll not feel guilty for killing the planet.

I was in Kingston shopping recently and going through H&M and Zara etc just wasn’t as fun as it used to be. It’s so weird becausenin my 20s going to a shopping centre or Oxford street was an *event* in itself. Now it’s just… cba. Give me the thrill of a £3 vintage dress from Vinted arriving in the post over a long Zara queue with rude employees looool
---

I find it so bizarre when I see a dress in the likes of Reiss, costing hundreds and it being made of polyester…like, I know not all polyester is the same grade but it’s plastic at the end of the day.

and I *despise* when brands make a beautiful silk dress and… line it with polyester. The beauty of silk is that it’s like weight a breathable. The opposite of polyester!!! Why do they do this?!

I don’t GAF if linen wrinkles either. Because it’s still better than wearing plastic.

cotton, linen, silk, wool and viscose are so hard to come by on the high street now. It’s depressing. Maybe less so viscose/tencel, but still
You’re right after my own heart with this, especially these past few summers when it’s been so sooooo hot, like I don’t wanna be going to weddings and occasions in 38 degree heat wearing a sweat tent.

I’m going to a fancy dress thing in a few weeks and wearing a 🍉short kilt🍉 I bought on Vinted and the listing was like “stunning wool tartan mini skirt” and it is…. but lined with the squeakiest fuckin polyester that I’m gonna have to cut out and which will inevitably alter the sit of the waistband. So disenchanted with clothes en masse, as you say.

Reactions: 3
I miss the glory days of the British high street (for me it was 2001-2008 ish) so many women's clothes chains are gone. Used to be so exciting going into town to see what was in. I refuse to buy crap from Boohoo or PLT.

Reactions: 8
You’re right after my own heart with this, especially these past few summers when it’s been so sooooo hot, like I don’t wanna be going to weddings and occasions in 38 degree heat wearing a sweat tent.

I’m going to a fancy dress thing in a few weeks and wearing a 🍉short kilt🍉 I bought on Vinted and the listing was like “stunning wool tartan mini skirt” and it is…. but lined with the squeakiest fuckin polyester that I’m gonna have to cut out and which will inevitably alter the sit of the waistband. So disenchanted with clothes en masse, as you say.
You could cut it out but leave the 1-2 cms at the top so that the waistband isn’t affected. You could even use that small bit to attach a cotton lining.

Reactions: 1

I've just sold some black and white ASOS work shirts on Vinted that I actually quite liked, but they always STUNK by like 11am as they were made of 100% polyester :) didn't realise I even sweated so much! I think it's the bright office lights..

---

Vinted is a revelation but it’s going to start getting more expensive soon with it getting more popular, I’m managing to sell some bits on there quite regularly. Bought the most amazing suede jacket on there the other day for £2 + postage!!!
As someone obsessed with fashion I find shopping depressing. I’m a size 16-18 and over the last two months have had to buy and send back about 10 pairs of black jeans as they all fitted tit - I actually had a big cry the other day as I’m like how can it be so hard to find a decent pair of jeans under £100 for a size 16 girl?

Even though I look in the mirror and think I look ok, I think the fabrics and cuts are so crapply made these days everything just looks horrible. Can’t be just me?!

Reactions: 8
Vinted is a revelation but it’s going to start getting more expensive soon with it getting more popular, I’m managing to sell some bits on there quite regularly. Bought the most amazing suede jacket on there the other day for £2 + postage!!!
As someone obsessed with fashion I find shopping depressing. I’m a size 16-18 and over the last two months have had to buy and send back about 10 pairs of black jeans as they all fitted tit - I actually had a big cry the other day as I’m like how can it be so hard to find a decent pair of jeans under £100 for a size 16 girl?

Even though I look in the mirror and think I look ok, I think the fabrics and cuts are so crapply made these days everything just looks horrible. Can’t be just me?!
It’s not you! I’m a 10/12 and had a similar cry. I was having them when I was smaller, and when I was bigger too. It’s not you, it’s the stupid jeans ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Have you tried M&S jeans? I got the super soft skinny crops in 3 colours. I liked the first pair so much that I went back and got 2 more pairs. You need to size down. I haven’t checked if they do full length versions.

EDIT: they do lots of styles and colours in the super soft denim.
266C9CA3-9DB1-430D-B7C8-9A61F4B8F56C.png

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It’s not you! I’m a 10/12 and had a similar cry. I was having them when I was smaller, and when I was bigger too. It’s not you, it’s the stupid jeans ❤
Thank you so much, that’s so reassuring to hear ♥
---
Have you tried M&S jeans? I got the super soft skinny crops in 3 colours. I liked the first pair so much that I went back and got 2 more pairs. You need to size down. I haven’t checked if they do full length versions.

EDIT: they do lots of styles and colours in the super soft denim.View attachment 2350824
Thanks so much, I literally just got back from M&S after returning some cord jeans, i used to have some from there years ago which were an amazing fit but these wouldn’t even even button up. I also bought 4 pairs from m&s last month which I had to return 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 4
likewise. I’m a size 12 now, but has similar issues when I was an 8-10.

clothing now is god awful quality. Even expensive brands can be awful.

plus, why does everywhere label size 12 as large?! It’s madness. Size 14-16 is not XL.

clothing manufacturing has gone to hell. It’s a shittier industry than it was 10 years ago and back then it was still awful. It’s the clothes, not us.

Reactions: 5
Even though I’m not a mad fan of Kate I miss the days of the collaboration! I think she hit the mark really well and I remember when every girl at college was wearing a waistcoat. H&M also used to do lots of collabs as did MAC, I don’t think they are a big thing now?

Reactions: 7
likewise. I’m a size 12 now, but has similar issues when I was an 8-10.

clothing now is god awful quality. Even expensive brands can be awful.

plus, why does everywhere label size 12 as large?! It’s madness. Size 14-16 is not XL.

clothing manufacturing has gone to hell. It’s a shittier industry than it was 10 years ago and back then it was still awful. It’s the clothes, not us.
My biggest gripe on vinted is that it labels size 16 as XXL 🙄 just put the sizes and S-4XL in different tabs!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.