Topshop Nostalgia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Following a convo with @LavaFlake thought it’d be fun to discuss all things topshop and ponder on why / how it went so wrong for them? I know it happened ages ago now but w/e feel free to share your fav topshop items or memories!

I will mourn the loss of:
* the chunky nu rave MySpace inspired acrylic necklaces
* the ballet flats that stank approx 3 days after purchase
* the sunglasses!
* the early generation of bloggers with minted parents who always had everything topshop
* topshop makeup! And those bloggers always pushing the rumour it was made in the same factory as MAC?
* Kate moss - does gen z have an equivalent?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 56
Here for this 👌

Boy boxers, those weird y front things, the jewellery, the ballet flats!!!

Remember their 3 for £10? Vests and 3 for £18 plain babydoll t shirts? I had a few of the Kate moss bits! I’m sure I still have a shrug type thing from there in my mum’s!

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I was always more a Miss Selfridge girl than Top Shop (god I loved Miss Selfridge back in the day)

That said I did have a few things from Top Shop, most of which were leopard print 😊 🤦‍♀️ though I remember the vests, basic T shirts and bodies were good. The bodies from there were the only ones where the press studs didn't randomly pop open as you sat down. Ah, the early 90s!

Oh and my favourite dress from my first year of uni (1991), a short bright flowery number that I could probably still wear now (if I wasn't 30 years too old and 4 sizes bigger than I was then) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I was always more a Miss Selfridge girl than Top Shop (god I loved Miss Selfridge back in the day)

That said I did have a few things from Top Shop, most of which were leopard print 😊 🤦‍♀️ though I remember the vests, basic T shirts and bodies were good. The bodies from there were the only ones where the press studs didn't randomly pop open as you sat down. Ah, the early 90s!

Oh and my favourite dress from my first year of uni (1991), a short bright flowery number that I could probably still wear now (if I wasn't 30 years too old and 4 sizes bigger than I was then) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Interesting to hear Miss Selfridge was the better one back then, I remember they had a few gems but were a lot more ~glam~ and clubby than Topshop in the 2010s which wasn’t really my vibe. Was it even still going when Arcadia folded?! I know they shut the Oxford street store years ago and I think it became the UO, or have I made that up?

Reactions: 6
Ah I loved 2003 I think , was it the year of crazy in love ? Pink combats , then combats with big long bits down the side . Christ it was pricey , but worth it.

I had this coat in 2001 , swear I wore it all the time , even summer , bbut it was a massive parka .

Literally love topshop, quality was always good. I hate all the poly , fast fashion about nowadays. Rather raid eBay for some top shop treasures !

Reactions: 17
Rather raid eBay for some top shop treasures !
This is another potential thread, LOVE eBay, but am I going to get banned for making too many threads though? 😂😫
ETA - did it, yolo x

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Going to the Oxford Street store in the 90s when I was a teenager. I was in heaven.

Reactions: 18
honestly so sad that topshop went bust even though i genuinely can’t remember the last time i bought anything from it, which depressed me for a while cos i thought i must be past it (i’m mid-30s)

i still have a laura lees for topshop dress that i was obsessed with, i can’t bear to part with it even though i never wear it anymore! 😄

i loved the lace ballet shoes they lasted like 2 mins though 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I remember I had one Topshop top when I was a young teen. I think it was my first ever adult sized t-shirt. It was a shocking pink plain long top. I loved I and wore it over my jeans. I remember thinking I was so cool because it was Topshop.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Used to work there in the early 2000s! It was the era of the ‘Kate’ vest and then the ‘Lila’ vest, named after Mossy and her daughter. Loved my staff discount - some of us part-timers used to go shopping to the Oxford Street store together, all flexing our Arcadia staff cards 😂

I also fondly remember owning the Kate Moss collection floral wrap top and the Barbara Hulanicki red mini dress (had left Topshop and started my career by then). People would come running up to me to talk about both, especially the Kate Moss top. I loved it so much and I don’t think I’ve ever been complimented on an item of clothing so much (I can say now, years later, that I did look particularly good in it).

I actually sold them both years ago as I’m not one for holding onto stuff that I no longer wear (and they were both a size smaller than I wear now 😭) but I have the photos from nights out of me wearing them to keep the memory alive!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I really wanted the Kate Moss floral tea blouse. I still search eBay for it.

Anyone remember MOTO jeans?

I also loved their make-up range! The black kohl eyeliner pencil stayed put for hours.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
I loved top shop. I always preferred the quality of their stuff over the quality of primark even basic things like T-shirt’s and socks. I didn’t mind spending the extra money as you could see the quality difference.

Especially with jeans I always found the belt loop on primark jeans would snap after time whilst I still have top shop jeans going strong.

But my god were those changing rooms the most unflattering mirrors and lighting in the world.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I had borderline hypothermia for the entirety of 2005-2010 from wearing no shoe that wasn’t the ballet pumps which were barely more substantial than actual ballet slippers with above the ankle skinny jeans (show off those basic foot tattoos, or you’re nobody). Whatever the weather.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Tunic dresses with black embroidery that everybody had, the tshirt tunic/dresses with elasticated waists, the vests with the silk bows on the front, the oversized crop tops.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I did love going to the Oxford st store as a teen used to feel so grown up. Me and my sister used to go on Saturdays sometimes and hope we would get “spotted” by a modelling agency 😂 (I cringe at that now).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

I always loved the smell of Miss Selfridge 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Lots of Topshop Jamie jeans on ASOS! Lots of Topshop stuff in general (they bought up all Topshop stock).

• Heart
Reactions: 10